Start by marking “Witchcraft Couture” as Want to Read:
Witchcraft Couture

Witchcraft Couture

Oscar Pellegrini is a talented fashion designer with a deadly enemy: his own critical mind. He destroys much of what he designs and has been drifting for years, gradually retreating from the fashion business he loves but holding on to his dreams of success.

A chance meeting with a former girlfriend triggers a creative crisis so deep that Oscar escapes to Russia, where he d
Published November 19th 2014 by eBook Partnership.com

To ask other readers questions about Witchcraft Couture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witchcraft Couture

Olivia-Savannah  Roach
I was a bit curious about this book. It seemed like an interesting mix of things to put together – fashion designing and a sort of magic. I was captivated and couldn’t wait to dive into this one!

Before we get down to the nitty-gritty of the review, can we please admire that lovely cover? Because I love it :D

It did not disappoint, but it wasn’t all I had hoped it would be either. At the beginning I really liked the writing style because it was so descriptive and immersive. But after a while I rea
Kathleen Kelly
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Witchcraft Couture So Oscar is a fashion designer who somehow, like what often happens to a writer, has a creativity block. People feel sorry for him so he works at a fashion house and kind of just skates by everyday, not really creating anything new and just kind of buries himself in alcohol. He is in Russia at a party and spots a woman in a black dress and she glows...just glows and everyone is drawn to her. Oscar is intrigued to get to know her and her secrets.
His quest to find her leads him
Léatitia Brière
Feb 20, 2015 rated it liked it
(from my blog)
First let me tell you that Witchcraft Couture was generously given by the author in exchange of an honest review. So here it is !

I gave 3.5/5 stars because though I loved the story and the writing, it wasn't really love at first words. I think it comes from the fact that I'm not into fashion and so it was a lot to discover at once. But regarding the other topics of the book, I wasn't completly lost. Because the story of Oscar and the Sampo is also about inspiration, trust and simp
Kristen Cansler
Dec 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-review, r2r
Wow! is my first reaction to Witchcraft Couture. This is such an intriguing book and truly unlike any other that I've ever picked up. At first, I was worried if it'd grab my attention. But boy, did it! I was quickly swept up in the world of Oscar and his antics. The writing was so well crafted and I easily got lost in the pages of Witchcraft Couture.

Oscar is such a fitting character. He's full of life and character, and I loved that the story was written in a way to give such an intimate peak
Teresa
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
My first 5* read this year and I will be lucky if I come across another book as good as this one in the near future. It hardly seems possibly that this is Katarina’s first novel. She is such an accomplished writer that I can’t praise this book highly enough.

I think Katarina must have found her own magic machine for this novel. It shines so brightly.

I love everything about this book. Not just the story. The beautiful cover captures the essence of the story completely. The language resonates “Ital
Sarah Clarke
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: death, fantasy, mystery
The book is based around Oscar Pelligrini, an Italian fashion designer who struggles with creativity blocks and self-belief issues. Oscar finds a machine that makes clothes sparkling and memorising. The book follows Oscars rise and fall to fame.

The best way to describe the book is to say its a bit weird. As you are reading, you know that Oscar and his behaviour is weird and you can really tell that something seems a bit, well, off. This is all explained towards the end and it really makes you re
Malak
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: english-books
Oscar loves to fashion. He sees the world in colours, textures and patterns that can all be turned into a dress or a high couture fashion piece. He always dreamed of designing heavenly cloths but despite him being a prodigy, his own self-doubt consumes him and paralyses his creativity.

After suffering from a long period of unemployment, and destructive thoughts, Oscar finds himself in the possession of a magical machine called The Sampo that makes any dress glow. And so his journey of frantic de
Sarah Vincent
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Fairy-tale Take on the Fashion Industry

A magical blend of northern folklore and high fashion. The author has spun a tale which shimmers and enchants, very like those dresses designed by the tortured and talented Oscar Pelligrini.
There are some real gems in thi story, and the descriptive passages have a painterly brilliance that made me want to slow down and savour each sentence.
This is not however, just a magical romp. The insights into the Italian fashion industry are illunimnating, obviously
Lisa
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-reviews
* I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

At first I was a little annoyed with Oscar because he kept sabotaging himself. But after a while he grew on me. He is a fully realized, realistic character. The book kept me interested and had an interesting twist. It's a an original work and well worth the read.
Mareena
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes paranormal mysteries
Recommended to Mareena by: Katarina West
Ever since he was a little boy, Frederico Pellegrini has dreamed of greatness. He has wanted nothing more from life than to be recognized and respected for his innate artistic talent. For the handful of people who have known him since childhood, Frederico - now known as Oscar to his friends and acquaintances - has always been considered to be something of a child prodigy. His amazing talent was something that was not only acknowledged, but also seen as extraordinarily intimidating to anyone who ...more
Erth
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
now i am hooked. This was such a great, easy and creative book. i was hooked after the first page.

The characters were easy to fall in love with and follow, along with the story. the author made the mental visions so easy and vivid of the surroundings and the characters actions felt so real.

i would highly recommend this author and this book.
TheCosyDragon
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing

While Oscar Pellegrino has had bursts of creativity, he finds himself in a creative slump again. Fleeing from himself into Russia to visit his mother's birthplace, he himself undergoes a transformation to become the slave of the Sampo.

Oscar seems like he got all the wrong things from his mother, and it seems fitting that the Sampo, while bringing
Joy Corkery
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was sent a complimentary copy of ‘Witchcraft Couture’ in exchange for a non-biased review of the book.

The story centres around Oscar Pellegrini, a talented fashion designer whose deep-rooted self-doubt ensures that he sabotages anything bit of success he encounters in his career. After yet another bout of writer's block and a run in with an ex-girlfriend, he escapes to Russia where, long story short, he ends up with a magical machine, the Sampo, which turns ordinary outfits into simply irresi
Kathleen Kelly
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
So Oscar is a fashion designer who somehow, like what often happens to a writer, has a creativity block. People feel sorry for him so he works at a fashion house and kind of just skates by everyday, not really creating anything new and just kind of buries himself in alcohol. He is in Russia at a party and spots a woman in a black dress and she glows...just glows and everyone is drawn to her. Oscar is intrigued to get to know her and her secrets.

His quest to find her leads him to a machine, call
books are love
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
received in exchange of a honest review.

This was fascinating. I wonder if all artists that are genius or extremely talented have the same issue as Oscar does in this book where not only does self doubt destroy them but their own mind and talent. This is a narration by Oscar from his journal. But it doesn’t feel like a journal. More like a narration like romeo and juliet has in older versions of the play. Oscar has a talent as a artist and this is his rise and downfall and what his mind does to f
Melissa
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for free in order to facilitate an honest review.

In this book, you get to watch Oscar’s incredible journey from the lowest point in his life, about to be fired again from another job, to becoming a world-wide sensation and what that does to his mind and the sacrifices he makes to get there. Let’s start with what I loved – the prose, the prose was beautiful. The images painted, the references to historical and cultural happenings, Oscar’s way of referring to people
Wendy Janes
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oscar dreams of success as a fashion designer. Too often his talent has been thwarted by self-sabotage and eccentricity. With his life at a low ebb, he discovers a magical machine called the Sampo, which looks set to help him make his name in the fashion world. Fame and fortune beckon, but is there a price to be paid?

Told in the form of diary entries, we’re inside Oscar’s head; a claustrophobic, wild, angry, petulant, creative place where reality and fiction collide and fracture.

The splendor of
Polly
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
The story is intriguing and bewitching, and I found myself drawn into the novel, often for far longer than I had intended to be reading for. It is not a relaxing read by any means, with many twists and emotional highs and lows, along with an enduring sense of tension and unease built up over the course of the book. But West hooks the reader in from the very beginning, and adds layer upon layer of mystery, keeping the reader guessing right up to the final pages.

Even after I had finished Witchcraf
Onyxsta
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Onyxsta by: Katarina West
Don't be dissuaded by the title, the novel is littered with religious, spiritual and philosophical nuances; from the mention of Saul's epiphany enroute to Damascus, to 'Lucifer Ltd' repossession bailiffs in Oscar's hallucination. Katarina West does an incredible job of penning the demise of a once-maverick fashion designer, Oscar Federico Pelligrini, and the repercussions of his plight for perfection. She cleverly details the transition of a troubled artist's rise to fame and fall from grace, al ...more
Melissa Ann
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got lost in the world that Katarina created surrounding Oscar and the world of Italian high fashion. I wasn't sure if I would like it when I started reading but it swept me right up in no time.

I love the how you are never quite sure of what's real and what's fantasy. It's such a fantastic book.
Shelly Mateer
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! I found myself drawn in to the story and sympathizing with the main character - sympathizing with his self-doubt/self-loathing. All of his mistakes felt like my own. Exceptional writing. Not since being a child, reading Stephen King novels, have I found a writer that engages me the way Ms. West does. I will read this book over again and hope that there is another in the future!!
a_tiffyfit
author kindly provided a review copy. it is just not clicking with me at this time. I cannot get into it. perhaps I will revisit it later. stopped at 24%
Julie
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about wanting something so much you are willing to do anything to get it even giving up everything else. This designer is obsessed and bewitched.
Jo Ann
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love it! See my full review on saycheesycake.blogspot.com
Emily (Heinlen) Davis
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved the premise of the book and the writing was strong and engaging. The story started off slow and could have moved quicker throughout the book, but, in general, I enjoyed it.
Jessica
Jan 02, 2016
Katie
Feb 25, 2016
Kristine Ferrell
Aug 14, 2016
Tonya
Jan 31, 2016
Reader, writer, and a friend of angels, Katarina is the author of Witchcraft Couture and Absolute Truth, For Beginners. She lives in rural Tuscany, where she desperately keeps heating her old farmhouse.

THOUSAND TINY MIRACLES OF LIVING TWICE is coming out in June 2017, and it's the first book in the ANGEL AID feel-good fantasy series.

If you want to get a glimpse of Katarina's life in Tuscany, go a
“There is no vaccination against creative blocks. And nowhere else are they as devastating as in fashion which, unlike art or literature, dies the moment it is born.” 1 likes
“I drink coffee in gallons and it is just as indispensable for my work as paper and pencils. It’s the excessive caffeine intake that makes you design well.” 0 likes