Start by marking “Factory Records: The Complete Graphic Album” as Want to Read:
Factory Records: The Complete Graphic Album

Factory Records: The Complete Graphic Album

This is the definitive overview of the artwork of the seminal Manchester-based Factory label, covering its iconic record sleeves, posters, venues and packaging and also discussing the label's role in bringing design to the mainstream.
Published September 1st 2007 by Thames & Hudson (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Factory Records, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Factory Records

Start your review of Factory Records: The Complete Graphic Album
Tosh
Jan 30, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
One of the saddest things about the downloading music world is the disappearance of 'record labels.' As a youngster I used to buy music by it's record label. Factory Records has a very sophisticated graphic look to its covers and design - and really, sort of the last of the great record labels. Although that'a argumentive, because there is labels like 'Kill All Rockstars" or Subpop, which are important culturally as well as for its aesthetics. But my heart belonged to Factory, as well as Immedia ...more
Simon
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A celebration of the physical component of music. Not much to add — Peter Saville showed us how music aestheticization through graphic design is an important factor in the way we approach music in general. Album artworks and physical design will forever continue influencing our “objective” opinion on a musical piece, whether we like it or not.
Robert
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compendium of Peter Saville's work - the book itself is flashy but contains no .... substance ;)
mwr
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006, 35-36, art, culture, history, music
Visually nice, great appendix, and while a lot of the text is effusive, there are some nice insights for the non-design-initiate.
Gadjo Sevilla
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Iconic book on some of the best album art and high-concept design from Peter Saville.
D.S. Mattison
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: factory fans of all kinds
Recommended to D.S. by: i saw it at steve's house
Factory was not just a record label. Anthony Wilson was a genius at spotting genius and also just a plain old genius. Now he is dead brokering record deals in Hell with Ian Curtis. They have decided to fuck chronology with a broomstick and order chaos how it should be ordered - chaotically. No, really folks, if you want to know the factory story beyond watching 24 hour party people come over to either Steve's or my house and thumb through this coffee table treasure map while Durutti Column or Ne ...more
Chris
Nov 19, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I really hope someone buys me this book for Christmas.
James
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is sort of like my bible. The Factory wares are lined up and shown off. The English Industrial Revolution recast as art/record sleeves.
Justin Cormack
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
A coherent exploration of design. Iconic covers from the Joy division one (amusingly the same quasar illustration was used by Tufte in his latest book) to lesser known designs, the Hacienda etc.
Peter
Apr 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge factory records fan, so this scratches a very deep itch for me--seeing all of the graphic output of the label--it's nice to see a lot of the non Peter Saville designed stuff.
K.
Jun 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Palatine
david evans
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Enuf said
Lexie
Apr 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rarely buy books, but...I saw this and it caught my eye--a photo book of one of my favorite record labels full of great design and Peter Saville typography.
Sebastian

• Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • La ragazza con la Leica
  • Once Upon a River
  • The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Dirk Gently, #1)
  • De onbevlekte
  • Marcel
  • A Long Petal of the Sea
  • Three Parts Dead (Craft Sequence, #1)
  • Hard in Hightown
  • Falastin: A Cookbook
  • The Prince
  • The Dead Shall be Raised & Murder of a Quack (Chief Inspector Littlejohn #4-5)
  • S.U.M.O. (Shut Up, Move On): The Straight-Talking Guide to Creating and Enjoying a Brilliant Life