Start by marking “Bullet Hole Riddle” as Want to Read:
Bullet Hole Riddle

Bullet Hole Riddle

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  7 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Bullet Hole Riddle is a three-part narrative sequence charting one person’s journey to make sense of an unwanted history. Framing personal experience as a series of collective acts, Miriam Barr’s first major collection of poetry tells a story about the human psyche and the spaces between us.

“Mostly I like the surprise of images that carry complex emotional truths … There’
Paperback, First, 64 pages
Published November 1st 2014 by Steele Roberts Aotearoa

To ask other readers questions about Bullet Hole Riddle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bullet Hole Riddle

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of Bullet Hole Riddle
Elizabeth Morton
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There are skeletons in these closets.

Miriam Barr's 'Bullet hole riddle' is a journey in poetry dedicated to 'untold stories'. Brave and compelling, Barr transports her reader through an emotional metamorphosis. There is a quiet hero in our midst.

There is something Biblical about the way in which Miriam Barr's slender collection kicks off. 'In the beginning was the word' is turned on its head. 'At the time', pens Barr, 'there was too much to say / so she said nothing'.

'Bullet hole riddle' is an e
James Grace
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fluid and difficult to pin down, yet with moments of subtle clarity, "Bullet Hole Riddle" is a stunning first publication from long-standing Auckland performance poet Miriam Barr. The work is so astonishing in its brevity of form while still encompassing so much detail that I was often left either pondering or breathless.

With a light touch, Barr dances around darker and more gritty topics, using the symbolism of the demimonde while staying in the light. Always suggestive, the poet paints intense
Rosetta Allan
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A brave book that tugged at me with the light touch of a child's voice, the innocent trying to make sense of the seriousness of sexual abuse. There is no more direct path to a mother's heart. Then adolescence, and on to adulthood, and I realise the nakedness of the lines without punctuation instructing me when to stop, when to go, when to breath, and I realise I am not breathing air as I read this work, I am inhaling someone else's secrets. I am inside that place where Miriam has learnt how to s ...more
Tania Brady
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully lyrical crime story that unravels like "a question mark unwinding". Stunning imagery and the fabric of deep emotions are woven through the three sections marked Bullet, Hole and Riddle. I love the way Miriam takes challenging material and wrestles it onto the page with such grace and beauty. I have heard her read some of these poems and the words have a wonderful ability to get under your own skin and unlock you. Totally recommended!
Sabrina
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book - the poetry has such lyricism it can be read aloud, read silently, or sung/chanted. It travels effortlessly from hope to despair and back again, inviting the reader on the journey. A powerful collection of words from one of Aotearoa New Zealand's most thoughtful poets.
Moss Bioletti
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Playful poetry and colourful wordplay
Elisabeth Kumar
McPhaul M.
Aug 20, 2019
Sdestroya
Jun 10, 2020
Miriam Barr is a page and performance poet with a background in psychology. Her first major collection, Bullet Hole Riddle, was published by Steele Roberts in November 2014. Her poetry has been published in Landfall, Takahe, Brief, 4th Floor, Poetry NZ, Potroast, REM Magazine, Blackmail Press, The De-Formed Paper, Enamel, Magazine, JAAM and Wild Goose Poetry Review. She has previously self-publish ...more

News & Interviews