Start by marking “The Butterfly King (The Lost and Founds, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Butterfly King (The Lost and Founds, #3)

The Butterfly King

(The Lost and Founds #3)

Terrance Altham doesn’t know why he’s been arrested. He’s committed no crime and the cops aren’t talking. Sadly, the man sharing his holding cell talks too much. Known only as Ghost, he is a young grifter, apparently familiar enough with this police station to convince Terrance a break out is possible, and pushy enough to leave Terrance no choice but to follow Ghost into t ...more
Published September 17th 2014 by Pickwick Ink Publishing (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Butterfly King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Butterfly King

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
If you aren't reading Edmond Manning's The Lost and Founds series, then you aren't experiencing the whole range of what M/M has to offer. This series is some of the most creative, out-of-the-box fiction that I've ever read. While these books aren't traditional romances, they are filled with so much love and emotion that you still feel awed and seduced by the end.

The Butterfly King is the latest in the series, and it takes place chronologically before the other two. Unlike the first book where V
Kaje Harper
If you haven't yet read the first book in this amazing series, King Perry, don't read this review. Go find a copy of Book 1 at your favorite book retailer and take the unexpected, dazzling, warm, strange, gorgeous ride that is Vin Vanbly at the height of his powers. Then read the other books as we move backward in time, to Vin's origins. This review may contain spoilers for the first two books in the series (And believe me, this is a series where you want to be surprised, baffled and stirred as ...more
Sofia
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Once more I dove into the world created by Manning’s words. A world full of love, emotions and feelings where I’m asked to share and feel along with the people in the book. More and more this series is becoming Vin’s story, oh I love Perry, Mai and the Butterfly King, but the main attraction for me is Vin, the complicated, damaged, little Kingmaker.

In this one we see Vin six years before we first met him in King Perry. A vulnerable, less in control Vin. Vin does not like himself and does not wa
LenaRibka

3,5 stars.

I browsed through all those exciting reviews recently and found the one that perfectly reflects my emotions and my feelings about the third book in the series.

So, if you want to know my opinion, just read Heather review.
She nailed it.
I agree with every word in it.
Trio
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
God, so lovely. This series is absolutely beautiful. I love how, going backwards in time, we get to see Vin learning to overcome the horrors of his life and grow into the sweet and nurturing character he is in the first book. He's such an interesting character, and Manning (damn him) just makes putting down the books so hard!

I especially enjoyed the way all the NYC scenes are written. EM really does a great job of evoking exactly how that freakin' subway smells, and the crowds in Times Square on
Jax
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, series
God I love Vin Vanbly. This book gives us more tantalizing hints about his life and previous kingings and we find out some stuff that's got me rethinking what this kinging business is all about. Apparently it's not just some kooky idea cooked up by the charmingly odd Vin. Hmmm. I can't wait to learn more about the first kinging that has Vin feeling like a monster and, of course, I'm really anxious for Vin to get his own happy ending.

As much as I love these books, I do find them kind of trying to
Mercedes
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-romance
Be prepared to be kicked in the heart over and over by Edmond Manning's words. With all of his love of course!

I found this book the most raw King Weekend account yet. Yes, if you can believe that. Looking back, I would say King Perry is the most beautiful account, King Mai is the most loving and this one the most raw. Not only on the emotions it conjures but the way the story and the weekend unfolds.

We keep walking back on Vin Vanbly's story of Kinging men. This story takes place three years pri
Jaycee Edward
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a tough book to review. Actually, all the books in this series are hard to review. Only if you’ve read them, will any of these reviews even make sense. I can guarantee you two things. They’re unlike anything you’ve ever read and they will forever change the way you look at life. I’m not a highlighter, but you’d never know it to look at my Kindle when I read Edmond’s books. I should just highlight passages that DON’T move me in some way.

As I sit here pondering what to write, it dawns on
Maya
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing

“It’s a heavy burden, trying to love a world that doesn’t seem to love you back.”

I hope this review makes sense, I just finished reading and my heart is still racing.

So much to say about The Butterfly King, but here are my highlights:

*Fear and its power – I don’t think it’s possible to go through this book without asking yourself what am I afraid of, and, gosh, this is scary.

But if a man spends his life fighting fear, keeping it at bay with logic and rationalizations, he doesn’t notice fear ex
Don Bradshaw
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a tough King book to read especially in light of all the violence lately. It was also difficult for me to see Vin making so many mistakes during this king weekend. This was not the Vin that I have come to know and love. Being originally from the New York metropolitan area, I enjoyed the true New York that Mr. Manning showed me. I believe that the use of Peter Bryce's diary and severe prejudice was a wake up call to all people. Terrance jumped right to the conclusion that Bryce hated bl ...more
Ulysses Dietz
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing

By Edmond Manning

Five stars

Book three in the “Lost and Found Kings” series drags us—some reluctantly, some avidly—once more into the strange inner world of Vin Vanbly, the pseudonymous anti-hero who unleashes the inner power of lost kings.

If that paragraph didn’t mean anything to you, you might not like this book.

For those of us who have fallen in love with Vin Vanbly, “The Butterfly King” was a revelation. Edmond Manning has created an emotionally exhausting tumble down a rabbit hole into the
Antonella
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The third book is as good as the first two of the series. Edmond Manning is managing well to keep up the quality. He also avoids repeating himself.

I love the economy of the writing, New York comes out alive from the book, but without long and useless descriptions (yes, I've just finished a book with long and useless descriptions ;-).

Vin is younger here, more full of doubts about what he is doing, still... it is the Vin we came to love through the other two books. I cannot not love him, his deep
Diverse
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Vin Vanbly is everybody. I often find myself wondering what king is he? This is book 3 in The Lost and Found Series and Vin still has me captivated. Interestingly it was one line in this book that truly tethered our personalities. It was his confusion on the use of Former and Latter. I too am always perplexed by it. And in that one sentence I realized. VIN IS ALL! He is not one person but an amalgamation of many. How do you king a person like that? I don't know how Edmond Manning will do it. As ...more
Susan
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-read, z-2014
The beauty of this series is that when you start the book you have no idea where you're going to end up and it's never quite where you're expecting! I think that Vin Vanbly is better at breaking my heart than any other character I've ever come across. In this book we learn a lot more about Vin. We get glimpses into his past and come to know more about his hopes, dreams and fears. His vulnerabilities shine through in this story which just seems to make him appear more magical and mysterious. We a ...more
Vivian
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Devastating.
What would you risk to find a Lost King? And what if he doesn’t remember you?

This is the most _______ Lost and Founds book. Excessive in nearly everything: violence, passion, emotional reactions; it's all on the brink of too much. The first time a King Weekend is out of control, Vin stumbles and things are precarious to say the least.

The origin story of the Butterfly tree is told, and it is bittersweet.

The most politically synchronized story to current events. It pushes the reade
Vanessa North
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm very behind on my reviews, so I'll try to keep this short-ish.

Edmond Manning, once again, brings us into his world of Lost and Found kings. While in most stories and series, we see a character evolve, in this series, we are seeing the opposite--or rather, we are seeing the evolution backwards, and only by seeing this trickster Vin, this early charlatan, can we truly appreciate the magician he has become by 1999, when he kings Perry.

For the first time, the king stories do not flow constantly
KatieMc
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it
This one kind of drove me crazy. There were some recognizable elements of a king weekend, but egads, this was off the rails. The few mysteries about kingships that were answered in this edition were overshadowed new ones.

The rats! This might gross out many folks, buy my kids had pet rats growing up. Rats were a more intelligent and sociable alternative to hamsters. They actually make good rodent pets (although I insisted on female rats because I drew the line at rat testicles). So, take it from
Trish
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Book 3...... fantastic, wonderful...

How long did I sit staring at my screen trying to start my review? It was a very long time, because I had so many feels, so many thoughts, and I wanted to talk about all of them but knew I couldn’t actually do that in my review. I decided to start with this; does The Butterfly King fall into any particular tropes? Nope! Is this story in any way a traditional story? Not at all! Which puts this series in a class all by itself. It’s a journey. It’s a “life” ride
Marleen
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, fiction
Like it's prequels, The Butterfly King was a story that took my breath away, forced me to feel every single emotion available to me.

Edmond Manning's writing enthralls me. His stories give me so much to think about. They're filled with humanity in all its glory and faults and shine as a result.

I do not have the words to to honour this book they way it deserves to be. I know I can't show them but this is another solid six star read for me.
Becca
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you guys are not reading this series, you need to be. Every book, every pages is an emotional journey. But it's also a time of reflection.  I can't really put myself in any of the characters shoes, because I'm not a guy, I'm not gay, and in this book, I'm not black. HOWEVER, I can take time to reflect on how my actions may affect these people in our lives. In other words, be a voice of love, not hate. We have seen black crimes, crimes of anyone of color, to be honest. And that's not to detrac ...more
Helena Stone
Shelves: extra-special, m-m
I actually rated this book 6 stars, it is that special

Before I say anything else I would like to point out this is the third title in an ongoing series. I can’t recommend reading these books in the right order enough.. While each book tells a wonderful tale of its own, the magnificence of this story only shines through in all its glory if you read the story as the author intended. And that includes reading the chapt
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★★★ ~ 5 Stars ~ ★★★★★ ~ 5 Star Series ~ 1st 5 Star Series in 8 Years on GR ~
I accidentally started reading this book first and I was so confused and came back to GR to figure out what order the series was in so by the time I'd gotten through King Perry and King Mai, I was all-in, because seriously, if you get through KP and KM, you kinda know that you're in for a unique reading experience and BK delivers in this 1993 King Weekend and you're just along for the ride, wherever it takes you.

“Once
April
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Magic realism or magical realism: a genre where magical or unreal elements play a natural part in an otherwise realistic (often mundane) environment.
=============

The setting is New York City--a place firmly rooted in reality but has an undeniable magic. There is dirt and cruelty and hard-scrabbling as well as lush hotels and beautiful sculptures and architecture.

These books are all about striving for better--for living and loving wholly, so the message is positive, but we also see why people mus
Shell
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There aren't enough words to describe how powerful this series is. After King Perry and King Mai, I kind of thought I had a good grasp on a King Weekend, and Edmond Manning proved me wrong.

Edmond created a beautiful fairy tale that each one of us actually have a chance of living, and through his words and his characters and Vin Vanbly... you almost feel like you can touch the magic he writes about.

The Butterfly King is the third book of the Lost and Founds series, and we are so fortunate to me
Dee Wy
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m-contemporary, m-m
2.5 stars - Oh where is the Vin Vanbly I've come to love? In his place was a sad, unsure and lost shadow of the man I've known in the first two books. I was disappointed in this installment. I understand an author wanting to shake things up a bit, so the stories aren't just copy-cat plots in a series, but this just wasn't what I was hoping for and I had to force myself to keep reading. The story left me feeling sad and diappointed.
Beth
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review to come. For now, I'm still basking and reeling with tears in my eyes. Pennies. For God's sake the pennies. Made me cry. This was a tough one. King Perry and King Mai felt lighter to me. This one was ... Different. You'll see. Read it. Its a must. Dammit. Pennies.
Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
More to come soon. Very moving and revealing story.
Kaye Hallows
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance
When I finished King Mai, I took a deep breath and held onto it for a full day before starting The Butterfly King. I couldn't imagine loving the next king as much as Mai, but Edmond Manning is a genius at ratcheting up each story, chapter by chapter, until the reader is as enthralled, curious, and moved as Vin by everything that happens. I love the way this story unfolded, with Vin so anxious about everything that goes wrong right off the bat, so unsure of himself. It's a great contrast to King ...more
Celine
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: effing-amazing
this series is all 5star rating, if i could i would give it 10stars or it's own constellation. Hell, no rating applies in my opinion.

One of the first Kingings, things are still a bit wobbly for Vin. in the beginning i found it frustrating that we went back in time but slowly i began to appreciate as I wouldn't have picked up so many interesting bits if I had read this first of second in the series. By now i'm so intrigued with Vin (past-present-futur) that this flashback was time exactly right.

Claire Simmons
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bittersweet
Terrance Altham's road to kingship is imperfect. Vin Vanbly makes many mistakes, and nothing seems to go as planned. As the third book in the series, The Butterfly King shows us a great glimpse into the past, and lays out the foundation for Vin's journey. We get to see his trial and error, and grow to appreciate kingsmanship even more. If you love the first two books, then this one should be no different - but be prepared to have your heart thrown back and forth!
Edmond Manning has always been fascinated by fiction: how ordinary words could be sculpted into heartfelt emotions, how heartfelt emotions could leave an imprint inside you stronger than the real world. Mr. Manning never felt worthy to seek publication until recently, when he accidentally stumbled into his own writer’s voice that fit perfectly, like his favorite skull-print, fuzzy jammies. He fina ...more

The Lost and Founds (6 books)
  • King Perry (The Lost and Founds, #1)
  • King Mai (The Lost and Founds, #2)
  • King John (The Lost and Founds, #4)
  • Come Back To Me (The Lost and Founds, #5)
  • King Daniel (The Lost and Founds #6)