Start by marking “Tolkien's World: Paintings of Middle-Earth” as Want to Read:
Tolkien's World: Paintings of Middle-Earth

Tolkien's World: Paintings of Middle-Earth

If it is the author's job to paint word-pictures, few writers have accomplished the task more brilliantly than J.R.R. Tolkien, whose timeless fantasy classics have literally taken readers to another place.

And what a place it is! The Middle-earth so graphically depicted in The Hobbit, The Rings Trilogy, and The Silmarillion is a breathtaking world of misty valleys and cragg
Published 1992 by MJF Books

To ask other readers questions about Tolkien's World, please sign up.
Yazir Paredes no, nine different artists did. Inger Edelfeldt, Tony Galuidi, Roger Garland, Robert Goldsmith, Michael Hague, John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith, and…moreno, nine different artists did. Inger Edelfeldt, Tony Galuidi, Roger Garland, Robert Goldsmith, Michael Hague, John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith, and Carol Emery Phenix.(less)

booklady
This is another Tolkien reference book which has been on one shelf or another in our home awaiting the big Lord of the Rings read-fest. Then when we finally started it a few months back—of course—it was not to be found.

It is not absolutely necessary to have supplementary references when one travels to Middle Earth, but it is so very nice. Afterall it is a very big place and supplementary references serve as armchair guides.

Tolkien’s World is also a visual delight, especially if you are an arti
Marty :} (thecursedbooks)
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm not going to add this one to my challenge because it feels like cheating since it's like 88% paintings and very few words. But I loved it so much, some parts were so beautifully represented and exactly like I imagined them while reading, some weren't though. Like the hobbits that looked strange and whenever I imagine them I see them as adorable cinnamon rolls. I mean it. Hobbits for me have puppy eyes and amazing curls. (pass it on) Ohhh and Legolas had dark hair, hmm.
Beautiful book, I reco
Autumn
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Like any compilation, I liked some more than others.
Nikki
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: artwork, fantasy
Worth owning, if you're a Tolkien fan (sadly, I only borrowed it). It's full of reproductions of beautiful paintings. Not all of them capture my vision of Middle-earth, which is always a danger, but a surprising number of them do. Alan Lee's probably my favourite Middle-earth artist, but I liked Ted Nasmith, John Howe and Roger Garland most. Nobody quite gets hobbits just right, for me, though...

Includes mostly paintings of Middle-earth -- The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and The Lord of the Rings
Katherine
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Možná jsem čekala, že tady budou vypíchnuté jiné pasáže Tolkienových knih.
Daleko lepší pasáže.
Navid
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, artwork
What I didn’t like about the book:
- Artistic quality of its paintings: Most of the book’s paintings are relatively modest if I want to put it nicely! Some lack any art quality in them and some aren’t creative enough. Although to be fair, I should mention that it’s not always the case. Works of John Howe -and in a lesser extent Alan Lee, Robert Goldsmith and Ted Nasmith- are delightful to watch.

What I liked about the book:
- Visual version of Middle-earth: I believe that every fantasy book
Nathan Cunningham
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Peter Jackson's Tolkien movies are among my all-time favorites. But the downside to film is the way it locks certain images into the reader's imagination. This book of paintings was published before the movies came out, and it was wonderful and refreshing to see the different interpretations of what Peter Jackson first made me fall in love with.
Timothy Urges
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A nice collection for Tolkien fans. My only small complaint is I wish there were more artists presented.
Elihú
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El Mundo de Tolkien: Pinturas de la Tierra Media no es un libro en sí, pero es una bonita curiosidad para los amantes del Legendarium del Profesor.

Esta es una recopilación de ilustraciones de muchos artistas de todo el mundo que han dedicado sus pinceles a plasmar lo que imaginaron al leer ciertos pasajes de estas obras maestras. Cada pintura viene acompañada de ese párrafo que inspiró al pintor.

Vienen joyas tremendas de ya reconocidos artistas como Alan Lee, John Howe o Ted Nasmith, entre otros
Kerry
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All the paintings in this book were amazing! And the fact there's work from Alan Lee and John Howe, the two artists who worked on LOTR and The Hobbit films, is amazing! I love how it also includes a snippet from the books with the images.
Meg
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alan Lee is the primary, but I love Ted Nasmith and John Howe!!
Jordan Tomeš
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful images and visions. Some offered me a new, imaginative, surprising and different view on the Tolkien's world.
Terri Farris
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
the artists definitely capture the feel of Middle-Earth
Shanna Gonzalez
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Every lover of literature has an opinion about whether a particular story is enhanced or diminished by adding visual interpretation. When an image is compelling enough, it has the power to shape the reader's mental image of the story forever. For those who watched Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, their perception of these novels will be influenced by the movies which, although outstanding, are limited in how the plot and characters are presented.

For those who wish to postpone exp
Jen
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Alan Lee and John Howe will probably always be my favorite artists depicting Tolkien. Not just for their work on the movies, but for their work before that as well - art that seamlessly weaves reality and fantasy, and always satisfies my imagination's expectations. Being that as it may, I did enjoy this book as it let me view Tolkien through others' eyes, and how others interpret Tolkien's works.

I liked that It went in somewhat chronological order within each book, and I do like that it include
Andrew
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a very short book to read- hence why it was read in an evening. The book consists of a series of artists each taking an event from the chronicles of middle earth and creating a whole page image while the opposing page quotes the paragraphs used to inspire the image. I guess like all art there are those artists you love and cannot get enough of and others where you can respect their creativity yet it still leave you unmoved or disinterested. this is the case with this book - some artwork ...more
Jaimie
Jun 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Considering how lush and incredible the world of Middle Earth is, I found that this collection of artwork based on it to be lacking. It is obvious that the selection of paintings are quite dated, but that's not really an excuse for picking these drab pieces. The colours are especially disappointing, as it seems that many of the artists lack the understanding of natural light and colour unity. I was also less than impressed with many of their compositional and lineal styles, as fantasy illustrati ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Jun 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you (like me) have wonderful emotions tied to the work(s) of J. R. R. Tolkien I don't see how you can fail to love this book. Some of the paintings will (if you are a long time Tolkien fan or fantasy fan) probably be familiar. Some you will probably find more to your taste than others (Personally I find Alan Lee's work my favorite here), but all the paintings evoke Tolkien's world and its wonder.
Amalie
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Simply amazing art! This book consists of paintings of Middle-Earth divided by books (The Hobbit, LOTR, Silmarillion, etc.)

Considering the size of the book, I wish there were more pictures, but on the plus side, they were printed in the largest scale possible. The following are my favourite artists in the descending order:

1. Ted Nasmith
2. John Howe (Perhaps this is number 1)
3. Alan Lee

This contains the illustrations of 8 artists. Great for a Tolkien enthusiast.
Misael
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pues más que un libro (¿o menos?), fue la combinación de partes del libro con una ilustración hecha por cierto artista y como ellos se imaginaba la escena hecha por Tolkien, creo que me gusto el hecho de que se parecieran y no, aún siendo diferentes artistas.
Soren Sondergaard
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
There a some great paintings (John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith, Michael Hague) and some rather bland. The main problem is all the brilliant paintings that are left out in a volume that could/should have been four times thicker.
Sofia
Oct 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like "Realms of Tolkien", a collection of images from Tolkien's world from several artists. Some new artists appear in this book (better artist, in my opinion) and none of the images are the repeated, which is a good thing.
Shubham Chakraborty
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
The artwork in this book is not too majestic, but has a certain simplicity to it, as if the artists have transformed the words into pictures without letting their own imagination running wild. Some are definitely good, but quite a few are ordinary as well.
liesolitte
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Me gustó muuuuuucho.
Snufkin
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this beautiful book, and have copied many of them in my sketch book :-)
Christopher Brehm
Mar 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own
This is a beautiful book of various paintings inspired by Tolkien's work.
Mariana
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I never thought of this been a real book as well the manga. Is in paper so possible in some other point of view. Details, details
sologdin
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
some iconic images here, but must be supplemented with other texts because some of important images are not included.
Imran Ali
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alan Lee's illustrations remind me of my childhood. Gandalf stomping through the rain. Beautiful.
Jennifer B.
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gorgeous art of Middle Earth. It's pre-film, so no Peter Jackson influence here, but it's a lovely look into the world of J. R. R. Tolkien.
  • Tolkien: The Illustrated Encyclopaedia
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator
  • The Complete Tolkien Companion
  • The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook
  • The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth
  • Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
  • The Maps of Tolkien's Middle-earth
  • Journeys of Frodo: An Atlas of J.R.R.Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings"
  • The Atlas of Middle-Earth
  • A Tolkien Treasury
  • The Road to Middle-Earth: How J.R.R. Tolkien Created A New Mythology
  • The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth
  • Myth and Magic: The Art of John Howe
  • Meditations on Middle-Earth
  • Tolkien's Ordinary Virtues: Exploring the Spiritual Themes of the Lord of the Rings
  • J.R.R. Tolkien's Sanctifying Myth: Understanding Middle-Earth
  • Gollum: How We Made Movie Magic
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Architect of Middle Earth
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lang