Start by marking “Am I Normal Yet? (The Spinster Club, #1)” as Want to Read:
Am I Normal Yet? (The Spinster Club, #1)

Am I Normal Yet?

(The Spinster Club #1)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  11,042 ratings  ·  1,747 reviews
All Evie wants is to be normal. She’s almost off her meds and at a new college where no one knows her as the girl-who-went-crazy. She’s even going to parties and making friends. There’s only one thing left to tick off her list…

But relationships are messy – especially relationships with teenage guys. They can make any girl feel like they’re going mad. And if Evie can’t even
Published August 1st 2015 by Usborne Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Am I Normal Yet?, please sign up.
Lynley I am a little scared to see a woman born in 1998 does not believe women deserve the same rights as men. I'm sad she fails to appreciate all the hard w…moreI am a little scared to see a woman born in 1998 does not believe women deserve the same rights as men. I'm sad she fails to appreciate all the hard work of the feminists (including suffragettes) before her which allow her to earn money and vote, and to walk in public unchaperoned. (less)
Ruth 1. Am I Normal Yet
2. How Hard Can Love Be
3, What's A Girl Gotta Do…more
1. Am I Normal Yet
2. How Hard Can Love Be
3, What's A Girl Gotta Do(less)

·  11,042 ratings  ·  1,747 reviews

Start your review of Am I Normal Yet? (The Spinster Club, #1)
Aj the Ravenous Reader

“Everyone’s on the cliff edge of normal. Everyone finds life an utter nightmare sometimes, and there’s no “normal” way of dealing with it. There’s only what’s normal to you.”

I may be overreacting but Am I Normal Yet may be one of the best YA contemporaries I’ve read to date. It’s extremely hilarious (been laughing since page one), but also heart-rending, truly very eye opening as it involves feminism in its rawest, most genuine sense and a closer, more sensitive look at mental illnesses (lik
April (Aprilius Maximus)
1.) Am I Normal Yet ★★★★★
2.) How Hard Can Love Be? ★★★★★
3.) What's A Girl Gotta Do? ★★★★★
*.) ...And A Happy New Year? ★★★★.5

--------------------------------------------------

How do I even begin to talk about a book that means the absolute world to me?
I think I'm going to have to do a whole video on this book and my relationship to it because this book is just so, so important to me. <3
Emily May
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was so much fun. I really love it when an author can wrap a really important subject up in lots of humour without it coming across as insensitive. Am I Normal Yet?'s protagonist, Evie, struggles daily with her OCD and anxiety, but she just wants to have a "normal" life, make good girlfriends, and date cute boys. Is that really too much to ask for?

It had me laughing right from the start. I don't know that anyone can replace Louise Rennison, but those looking for similar teen girl shenanigans
ambsreads
DNF @ 5%

I made a promise earlier this year that if a book made an epilepsy joke I would immediately DNF it. Epilepsy jokes aren't funny. Do you know what it's like to wonder if your mum will wake up with brain damage? If she will even remember you? If she will even wake up? My single mother was diagnosed with grand mal seizures almost five years ago. I was 14 at the time. I was a baby. I had to call an ambulance and talk to a paramedic while helping my mum. This wasn't her first seizure (that ha
Emer (A Little Haze)
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emer (A Little Haze) by: Gabby
Wow.

Sometimes there are books that come along and shake you to your core. This is one such book. My friend Gabby has talked about how great this book is for as long as I've known her here on Goodreads but she's got the dodgiest taste in books ever!!! Sorry Gabby but you do and I say this with love... But then I read one of her other favs over the summer and subsequently I rated it highly so that got me thinking that maybe she wasn't completely delusional 😂😂
ANYWAY!!
Then I discovered my friend S
Warda
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reread. As epic and as wonderful as the first read.

Original review:
I want to hug this book!

It. Was. So. Good. I cried, dammit. And I never cry when it comes to books!

So, it deals with a 16 year old girl who suffers from severe OCD. And going into this, I was slightly ignorant on the topic being an actual serious mental health disorder and more aware of the stereotypical definition of OCD and how it's used playfully in everyday language.

I loved the insight Holly Bourne gave into the mind of s
Kai
Oct 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
Am I even living my best life when I haven't read this book yet??
Tatiana
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, ya
I picked up this book looking for British humor and dating disasters (which it totally had), but ended up loving it for its handling of struggles with OCD and agoraphobia, girl friendships and feminism. It was refreshing to read about girls discussing periods and women’s mental health for a change as feminist issues.
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
Every so often a book comes along that feels like it was written especially for you, Am I Normal Yet? was one of those books for me. Holly Bourne tackles the big issues that teenage girls face daily: feminism, mental health, friendship and boy drama and shows how these themes are intertwined and affect one another making life as a teenage girl treacherous to navigate.

The book follows Evie’s story as she tries to live a normal life, something that is fundamentally difficult with OCD rituals contr
emma
So I didn't love this book AS much as It Only Happens in the Movies, but honestly???? How could I??? When that was clearly a perfect book??

However, this book was still pretty damn good, for the following reasons:
- excellent mental health rep
- feminist af (although it wasn't always my idea of a perfect feminism)
- central relationship = female friendship

There was altogether too much boy stuff in here for my liking, and while I get the point of its inclusion it was still UNPLEASANT TO READ. Also I
bella farren
2.5 / 5 stars

I wanted to love this book, and although there was so much I did love, there were also parts that had me wanting to pull my hair out.

There were so many passages and sentences that were perfect, particularly some of Evie's inner monologue, of which hit me like a sucker punch to the stomach.

"These words—words like OCD and bipolar—are not words to use lightly. And yet now they're every-where. There are TV programmes that actually pun on them. People smile and use them, proud of th
Jiana
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
That was really good!

“Because now people use the phrase OCD to describe minor personality quirks. "Oooh, I like my pens in a line, I'm so OCD."
NO YOU'RE FUCKING NOT.
"Oh my God, I was so nervous about that presentation, I literally had a panic attack."
NO YOU FUCKING DIDN'T.
"I'm so hormonal today. I just feel totally bipolar."
SHUT UP, YOU IGNORANT BUMFACE.”

When I first picked up this book I thought it was going to be a fluffy and quirky read. Well, it is and it isn't at the same time. It deals
may ❀
this book was so much more than i expected.

- i've been hearing so many amazing things about this book from my friends so naturally my expectations were REALLY high and still yet it managed to give me so many emotions and teach me so many things
- it starts with our main character evie, as is suffering from severe OCD
- when the book starts she's well on her way to recovery, although she is facing some slip ups, but she's starting back her life with a clean slate, a new school & new friends that d
Maddie
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love. Love. LOVE! Words can't describe how much I enjoyed this book. The friendship, the feminism and the insightful look into what fellow girls go through on a daily basis was excellent. With all the boys, the drama and the mental health issues, Evie had a lot to handle and I felt like I was right there with her. If you haven't yet, go and read it immediately and let the girl power overwhelm you!
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was so great. The perfect amount of fun and seriousness and I loved it so much. Can't wait to carry on and see what the future holds for the Spinsters!
Clem (the villain's quest)
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ proud stars

This book moved me beyond comprehension. I am not fine.

RTC
Clara
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Everyone's on the cliff edge of normal. Everyone finds life an utter nightmare sometimes, and there's no 'normal' way of dealing with it... There is no normal, Evelyn.”

I started this book for two reasons, one being that Holly Bourne will be attending YALC 2018 in London, where I am going in a few weeks, and the other being my friend Roxanne who told me to do so. And so I did.

I didn’t know anything about it, expect that this book is well loved in our community and that it talks about mental
Alice
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-5-star
4.25*

The ending was really good up until the epilogue. That ruined it a bit. A lot of the side characters are really underdeveloped. They all seem to have their own issues, but they are never really explored since this is the main character's Evie's story so by the end I'm like ARE THEY OK?

The main character Evie has OCD. She just wants to be normal. She goes to college (16 years old, UK system) and meets 2 new friends Lottie and Amber. They form the spinster club in which they discuss feminism
NAT.orious reads ☾
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
5 heart-bursting stars

This is definitely a case for my favourites-shelf. What makes this book so lovely is the absolutely amazing mix of issues and actions that somebody without an anxiety disorder could never ever even closely relate to and those every day tragedies that fuck up each and everyone of us on a daily basis.

Evie, to a large extent a teenager right outta the books, suffers from OCD, she definitely has been worse and is on her way to recovery, but sometimes slaying that nasty demon in
Kayla Dawn
Nov 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Nope. Nope nope nope. 1,5* - Rtc.
K.
Trigger warnings: mental health, self harm, drug abuse, alcohol abuse.

4/2/2019
Sticking with 4.5 stars on reread. I LOVE the friendships in this series and the girls' realisation of how misogynistic the world is. There were a few moments where I cringed in 2019 ("periods are what all women have in common" type of cringe). But on the whole, this book is great and it gives me all the feelings.

15/12/2016
4.5 stars.

I've been putting off reading this book for the better part of a year now, and I have
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
So eye-opening about OCD! And I loooooove the feminism. There were moments that made me laugh way loud and made me punch-the-wall angry and just heartachingly sad. Am I Normal Yet was a great read. Find my full review at Stay Bookish. ...more
Shaikha Alahmad
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading Am I Normal Yet, the first thing that came to my mind was: ”I have to get the second book ASAP!!!❤️❤️❤️”

The Spinster Club is a feminist series, but it also focuses on other important aspects such as mental health awareness.

The main protagonist, Evie, is a teenage girl suffering from mental illnesses, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. She was tired of getting called the “crazy girl” back in high school, so now that she’s going to college, she want
Stacey (prettybooks)

Am I Normal Yet? is a much loved UKYA novel that had been on my TBR since last summer. I heard such good things about it from the Twitterverse and couldn't wait to get stuck in (I'd already bought the companion sequel, How Hard Can Love Be? ).

I knew that Am I Normal Yet? was a story of teenage friendship, feminism, and mental health, so it was my first choice book to give out on World Book Night on April 23rd. I left copies on coffee shop tables and at bus stops for teenagers around my local
BrokenTune
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
It's YA and I got given the book by a friend who had copies for World Book Night 2016.

Otherwise, I would not have picked it up, because...YA.

If I had read this when I was 15, I would have enjoyed this much more, but as I haven't the book fell a bit flat for me.

The intention of the book is great, tho: To give readers an insight into how OCD and general anxiety disorder can affect people. It's not something that I as a 15-year-old would have been that familiar with, other than by way of crude jok
Sophie
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I know I'm a little late to the Holly Bourne party, and I'm sorry about that. After reading spectacular book, I definitely need more of her books! I definitely need to support more UKYA authors, and Holly is perfect for this.

In Am I Normal Yet?, Evie is about to start college. After just scrapping by with a few GCSEs, she feels as if now is the right time to reduce her medication for her OCD, and try to be 'normal'. She has a plan: not let anyone know she was the 'girl who went crazy', make frie
Toyni Erica - toyniericasverden
How can I not give this book 5 stars? This book is cute, scary, childish and even more scary because its so realistic. I can really recognize myself in this book, and that doesn't happen a lot.

Just have to say that this book can be a trigger for people struggling with different mental issues, specially OCD ofc.
But I think maybe it's a good book for most people to read, maybe to understand a bit more. Maybe to se what it's like to be the 'mental' person.
Trish at Between My Lines
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, library, contemporary
This review was originally posted on [Between My Lines]

Wow! Am I Normal Yet by Holly Bourne slammed me to the ground with all the feels. It broke my heart, made me roar with laughter, made me determined to fight more about feminist issues and most of all enlightened me about OCD.

First Line of Am I Normal Yet by Holly Bourne

"It started with a house party."

5 Things I Love in Am I Normal Yet by Holly Bourne

1.   The Jarring Descent in to relapse
When we meet Evie first, she is in rec
Gesine
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5 stars

I read the book in January and I have to admit that I don't really remember that much. The book was a quick read that evolved around mental illness, friendship, self-love, romance and feminism.
My favorite part was how OCD was portrayed. Holly Bourne managed to show how mental illness can affect your life and you could really get into Evie's head and get to understand her thought process, the obsessing and the downward spirals. Some parts made me feel really uncomfortable, but in a good
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
SO. FREAKIN GOOD.

If you love me dearly and have been following me, you'll know that this is my first review for a loooong time. I've been on a book and review slump and you guys dont know how thankful I am because this book just picked me up. So full of feminism and sass. Full review will be posted!

description

• Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Beautiful Broken Things (Beautiful Broken Things, #1)
  • Kesämyrsky
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Diary of a Confused Feminist
  • Girlhood
  • A Quiet Kind of Thunder
  • One
  • Goodbye, Perfect
  • Theatrical
  • It's About Love
  • Fierce Fragile Hearts (Beautiful Broken Things, #2)
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Split
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • All About Mia
  • The Last Summer of Us
  • All the Bright Places
Holly started her writing career as a news journalist, where she was nominated for Best Print Journalist of the Year. She then spent six years working as an editor, a relationship advisor, and general ‘agony aunt’ for a youth charity – helping young people with their relationships and mental health.

Inspired by what she saw, she started writing teen fiction, including the best-selling, award-winni

The Spinster Club (3 books)
  • How Hard Can Love Be? (The Spinster Club, #2)
  • What's a Girl Gotta Do? (The Spinster Club, #3)