Start by marking “Five Brides” as Want to Read:
Five Brides

Five Brides

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  447 ratings  ·  105 reviews
One dress, five women, a lifetime of memories.
Five single, fiercely independent women live together in a Chicago apartment in the early 1950s but rarely see one another. One Saturday afternoon, as they are serendipitously together downtown, they spy a wedding dress in a storefront window at the famous Carson, Pirie, Scott & Co. After trying it on—much to the dismay of
Published June 1st 2015 by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. (first published May 21st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Five Brides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Brides

really liked it 4.00  ·

Melissa
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Everson transports readers to the early 1950s with stunning accuracy. The swiftly moving plot keeps you excited to discover what will happen next with each of the characters. There is adequate development of each of the five women, none feels neglected, and all add to the narrative. Authentic, yet poignant, this story will stay with you long after reading.

SUMMARY: As World War II ends, Joan Hunt, born in the US, moves from England to Chicago to find work. She shares an apartment with four other
Ane Mulligan
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Everson at her finest! I loved this book. It follows five women, strangers really, except for two who were pen-pals. They all end up flatmates in Chicago in the early fifties. The story follows their lives and friendships and I found myself completely immersed in their stories. Each one is different in personality and every woman will see herself in one of theses characters. They are characters you care about and want to know more about them. I'd love to see how their lives went after the close ...more
Julia
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Five Brides by Eva Marie Everson is the most delightful Christian historical romance that will warm your heart.
Set in the 1950's surrounding five friends, the reader is treated to the customs of the day. Parents were respected and morals expected to be high. Unmarried mothers were frowned on but every child was seen as a gift from God no matter what the circumstances of their conception.
There were some gentlemen within the novel as well as some cads. Infatuation blinded women to the character fl
Deb Haggerty
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Deb’s Dozen: Five brides, one wedding dress. Five stories, five romances, five wonderful weddings.

Chicago, early 1950s. Joan Hunt, recently returned to the country of her childhood from England, embarks on a journey she could not have invented—no job, staying at the Y, but determined to make her way and be independent. When she secures a job at Hertz, she also meets Betty Estes, soon to become one of her best friends. Betty invites Joan to room with her and her two other roomies. Joan agrees aft
Michelle Welch
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A "stay up all night reading" book

This book was by far one of my favorite summer reads. Five women, five lives, one dress. The way that God was woven into the story was both subtle and captivating. I loved the vivid descriptions of the clothes, the food, the architecture and the music. I could imagine myself laughing on the streets of Chicago, drinking hot coffee in the chilly German air, or smelling the beautiful flowers of a southern spring. Another great book by Eva Marie.
Cheryl
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I hope there is a sequel to this book. I need to know what happened after the weddings to Betty, Inga, Magda, Joan and especially Evelyn. With the exception of Betty, once the brides got married their story stopped. I need to know what happened in the following 50 years. Did everyone stay married? Did Inga find love? Did Magda's step-daughter grow to love her? How did Joan put her stamp on the southern woman? What happened to Evelyn and Ed? I need details!
Tammi
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
What wonderful story based in the 1950s. The prologue and the epilogue are actually set in current time and I just adore the story in between. The story is set in Chicago in the 50s. It stars 5 young women, Joan, Betsy, Evelyn, Inga, and Magna, who are roommates. Though born in Chicago, Joan’s family moved to England when she was a child. Evelyn is a Georgia farmer’s daughter and she and Joan were international childhood pen pals. When Joan decides to move back stateside after the War in attempt ...more
Nancee
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nancee by: quiltcat26@sbcglobal.net
I loved this book! The five women portrayed in Five Brides are significantly different from one another, but as women, shared many of the same needs and desires. Each character is represented with strength and definition. I felt as if I actually had formed a relationship with each of them. This author developed her characters in a way that although each depended upon another, they were distinct individuals with diverse goals and unique responses to their respective circumstances.

I highly recomme
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book! Five women make their way in the world mostly in 1950s Chicago. The clothes! The working girls finding success in post-war America! The romance! I enjoyed how each story was unique and relatable in its own way. I could find something to admire and something to shake my head over as Betty, Joan, Evelyn, Inga, and Magda each found her own path. And the fact that Joan is based on a real person who really did share a wedding dress with four other women? Utterly priceless. The ONL ...more
Kristen
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. It was a little confusing to keep the five women straight at times but overall I loved this book. I would enjoy more books about each of the five women and how their lives have continued.
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
This is not a book for teens! Even if you love 1950s clothes (like me!) you will not want to read this book or this review because of Sexual Content in it! :(
*This review is my opinion which I have a right to.

About this book:

“One dress, five women, a lifetime of memories.
Emma Jane
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: never-finished
This was one of those books that, while it was a well-written story, was just not for me. I'm not going to write a negative review, because there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. The characters were relatable, the dialogue was good, everything was GOOD -- it just didn't grab me. I enjoyed it alright, but it wasn't really my kind of book. With five main characters, it felt strained to get to know any of them very well, and I didn't really get into the 1950's period. (Plus it was about city ...more
Jarm Boccio
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
It always amazes me how a nugget of fact can blossom into a novel. Everson has done a fine job of weaving fact and fiction into a charming story of five girls, the circuitous journey taken to find their true loves, and one wedding dress they each vowed to wear on that special day. At first, it was difficult to keep all the characters straight, but, once their individual personalities landed, I could follow, rejoicing and sometimes despairing over the decisions they made. . . for better, or, for ...more
Renee
Like A Favorite Classic Movie

This engrossing story set in the '50s played out in my mind like one of my favorite classic movies. For Betty & Joan I kept picturing Ginger Rogers & June Allyson in those great '50s style dresses. Must read for all nostalgia fans!
Diana
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historicals
What a fun book! I can't imagine buying a wedding dress with 4 other women who are more acquaintances than friends. That's the premise of the story and it follows the women through the exciting changes in their lives. Enjoyed it a lot.
Denise Hershberger
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love. Chicago. Travel. Strong female characters. Friendship. Carson's. This book has so much to love!
Beckie Burnham
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I scheduled Five Brides for my book club’s February read thinking it would be perfect for the month-of-love. It was. Although not everyone liked this book, it did win over the majority of us. Set in the 1950s, Five Brides captures the spirit of the era, especially the dreams and aspirations of modern young women. Five roommates spend one rare afternoon together and decide to purchase a wedding dress (yes, it is that beautiful) to share on their special days. Unfortunately none have a ring on the ...more
Willadale Meeks-Smid
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!

The author beautifully intertwines the stories of five post-World War II young women who become roommates in Chicago. On a whim they decide to purchase a $300 wedding dress with each of them contributing $60. The idea is that they will each eventually wear the dress in her own wedding.

The author keeps the reader in suspense as she tells each young woman's story, smoothly moving from one young women to the next. The reader really has no idea whom each young woman will eventual
Josefa Wann
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really liked the idea of the story, 5 single friends buying a wedding dress to be shared when each one marries. I also liked the setting Chicago in the 50's. But I didn't care for the religious side of it (I didn't know it was a christian book when i first started reading it). It touches Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists and Baptists!
I did like the first part of it, but didn't care for most of their romances. The endings seemed "unfinished".
Heather Bireley
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gosh, I loved this story. I was excited to read how the dress brought these five women together. As usual, life shapes us as we go along. The book was heartwarming and I couldn't put it down. I went back to the beginning of the story a couple of times to see if I could figure out how the beginning fit into the story but the author kept it a secret until the very end. Amazing.
Maddie
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! I really liked the different stories that were all intertwined. I was disappointed that we didn't get to know more about Inga, but everything else was beautiful!
Cindy Indseth
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good story of five friends and a wedding dress. Interesting times in 1951
Richard Raymond
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun read!

I have loved every book I’ve read of Eva Marie Everson’s but this one was special. Great story line. A truly fun read.
Margaret Nelson
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book drew me right in with the story. I started out with the free preview, and of course, had to buy the book to keep reading! I love the fact that it is based on a true story! The characters are well developed. I just wish there had been a bit more follow up on what happened to a couple of the gals.
Jennifer Bounds therrien
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply beautiful, full of life.......LOVE.
Sandra Swartz
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very nice characters. a Nice story as well.
Melissa Gier
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Would highly recommend it. The romance is very realistic, not sappy and predictable like so many books.
Elizabeth
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading Five Brides, I was worried that the five different characters would blur together, with too-similar romances and too-similar actions and reactions to really discern between them. Yet, to my surprise (and delight), each of the five characters are, as the summary states, “very different.” And not only that, but their romances are different and the romantic interests/men in their lives are different as well.

Since there are five characters, the book never quite spends as
Jennifer Slattery
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This novel captivated me and created a deep sense of nostalgia—for a time period I’ve never lived in. I’ve always enjoyed stories that capture a sense of relational connectedness and community, and to me, that’s what made this novel so heart-warming. It takes a gifted writer to craft a novel with five key and distinct characters. Ms. Everson drew me deeply to each character and the time period in which they lived.

The story begins in a hotel room in London, England in 2015, with a bride waiting
Holly Barrett
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sometimes the friendships of women get a bad rap. Women are portrayed in pop culture as mean, and other words that I won’t print here. Relationships with other women are easily forfeited for the guy du jour or a better job or whatever. And frankly, sometimes that reputation has been earned.

But more often than not, my experience in the world of women has been rich and beautiful. It’s why I loved Eva Marie Everson‘s book, Five Brides. Ms. Everson tells the story of five women who share an apartmen
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Jan 04, 2015 09:14AM

• A Taste of Fame (Potluck Catering Club #2)
  • The Potter's Lady (Refined by Love, #2)
  • Claiming Mariah
  • Widow of Gettysburg (Heroines Behind the Lines, #2)
  • A Lady Unrivaled (Ladies of the Manor, #3)
  • A Search for Refuge (Haven Manor, #0.5)
  • The Masquerade (Legacy of Love #1)
  • The Dishonorable Miss DeLancey (Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace, #3)
  • Under a Blackberry Moon (Michigan Northwoods, #3)
  • A Lady's Honor (Cliffs of Cornwall, #1)
  • Shine Like the Dawn
  • Price of Privilege (Price of Privilege, #3)
  • In the Shadow of Jezebel (Treasure of His Love)
  • Lady of a Thousand Treasures (The Victorian Ladies, #1)
  • Where Treasure Hides
  • The Weaver's Daughter
  • A Most Unsuitable Match
Eva Marie Everson is a best-selling, multiple award-winning author of both fiction and nonfiction. She is the president of Word Weavers International and the director of Florida Christian Writers Conference. She enjoys teaching and speaking at writers conferences across the US as well as coaching new writers via her company, Pen In Hand, Inc.