Start by marking “Nowhere Wild” as Want to Read:
Nowhere Wild

Read Book

Nowhere Wild

(Nowhere #1)

Izzy is just thirteen when a flu pandemic turns the world upside down. After her sister is attacked by a roving gang of looters in what remains of their town, Izzy flees to the wilderness with a man who claims he will protect her.

Sixteen-year-old Jake is stranded and alone in the unforgiving northern Manitoba backcountry. His mother and grandfather have died and his father
Published August 25th 2015 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Nowhere Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nowhere Wild

Wanda
thegirlonfire
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
the book was fast pace and eas to read and interesting and theres a topic in this book that i didnt know coming into it, but im glad it has the topic in it ,it made the book so much more real and interesting, izzy is so strong, both the main characters are ,and i cant wait to read the sequel..
Jeffrey Grant
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately I don't have much to write about this book; the description covers about as much of the premise as you can without spoilers since this is primarily a book about surviving in the wilderness. The flu epidemic is mostly just a setup; the story could easily have started with a plane crash or shipwreck or something similar.

The tone of the story is very adult. I had put this on my reading list a while ago and didn't reread much of the details before actually reading the book, so it wasn
Patricia Kaniasty
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
It was a good story, just not thrilling. It was kind of confusing in the beginning. The author seemed to be writing two different stories at the same time..........until she finally merged them. Then it all made sense. Some of the stuff in the story was a little hard to imagine but I guess that is why I don't write them.............just read them.
Wendy
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: survival, murder
Set in Thompson Manitoba “Nowhere Wild” begins with a flu epidemic that decimated the city, a food shortage and a rise in crime that has thirteen-year-old Izzy Chamberlain fleeing into the wilderness with her friend Brian’s father Rick after her sister is attacked by a gang of looters.

Haunted by the loss of her family, Izzy depends on Rick to protect her as they struggle through snow squalls to reach his cabin only to become a slave to his whims and sexual abuse for months.

In late summer in the
C2015
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tracy
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars. While I enjoyed the setting, this story seemed slow at times. It also contained some things that I found to be far-fetched, which is a turnoff to me.
Wisteriouswoman
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love it! A fast paced book that really caught my imagination right away. The author made me feel like I was there because his descriptions were so vivid.

We don't get enough books by authors from Canada. There is a nice Canadian flavor to the language. I really felt that he understands the wilderness and the danger and hardship of living in the wilds. He does a great job switches back and forth between the two main characters and what is happening in their scenes. It was a bit tricky understandi
John Clark
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thirteen is confusing enough when you're living in relatively stable times. Imagine how crazy and scary your life becomes when you have to watch your parents die along with most of your neighbors from a flu pandemic, then lose your older sister when she's killed after months of daily survival under horrific conditions. This is how Izzy's thirteenth year has been. Now, she must rely on a somewhat scary older neighbor who is leading her into the wilderness to escape the predatory bands of scavenge ...more
Nicole
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book took me a bit to read, but, only because life seem to get in the way. I will admit, I read this book to support my friend Joe. However, halfway through the first chapter, I was so glad I picked up the book regardless of whether I knew Joe or not. I felt it captured me from the beginning and I wanted to read more. I loved that it took place in the wilds of Canada, especially since I have not visited the Province in which he speaks of in the novel and it gave me great insight into the wi ...more
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, almost dystopian story about a flu pandemic that leaves very few survivors and even fewer resources and a 13 year old's story of her own survival. Izzy is dependent on her own wit and instincts after her sister is attacked and an adult has proved not to be trustworthy. She meets a 16 year old who is stranded and unaware of the new events in the world. He sets off to find out more and meets Izzy and the two of them together must become responsible for each other while trying to find a ...more
Tracey Schindler
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a gripping, fast paced, and dark thriller about two young teens trying to survive - post-pandemic -in the wilds of northern Manitoba. The story is told in alternating chapters, from each teen's perspective, each chapter closing the gap between their stories until they become one.

The story ricochets from one harrowing moment to the next -both teens suffer horrible loss but neither have time to grieve as survival in the wilds of northern Canadian is a full time job.

This is not a light rea
S.a.morgan
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I thought this book was okay. I finished it. It kind of just ended a little too soon. I think the ended could have been more developed as well as some other aspects (bill's storyline). The ending could have elaborated of how the world was recovering from the disease outbreak. Not my usual read-I prefer a little romance...not to be had in this book. But a solid 3.75 stars for a first book for this author!
Lisa
Nov 20, 2015 added it
This was definitely a riveting tale, but "dark"'is an understatement. I feel that potential readers should know there is graphic violence, some of a sexual nature with minors. I found those parts very disturbing and it pushed the genre from a YA wilderness survival story into an adult horror story. Kudos to the author for strong writing and evoking strong emotions!
Carla Lewis
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, dystopia
Received this book in a Goodreads giveaway!
Easily a 3.5. A worthwhile read if you are needing some Can-con in your life (which everyone could use more of). A great debut for Joe. Will be following to see what else we can expect from him. Perfect timing on reading this one during hunting season.
Nancy Rushing
Disappointed in this book. Didn't like the rape of a young girl. Also it ended like the author was just done with writing the book. What happened to Jake once they got to Thompson. Does he find his father? It would've been nice to see the reunion between Izzy and Angie.
Jan
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2016
I'd give this one 3.5 stars. The premise was well done. The characters jumped back and forth from being too mature for their age to very immature. I would have liked a little more back story to understand the characters better.
Vera
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Running for her life (cold and hungry), but her protector turns into a madman. When rescued, then both running for their lives.

Would of given a better rating, but the ending left too many unanswered questions.
Christina Boulard
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was so dark. In all honesty, I don't think I'd ever recommend it to a teen.
And the ending. What even was that?!
J.W. Goodwin
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is something that I normally don't read but for a first time dystopian novel I enjoyed it. I would recommend this book to anyone's reading list.
Sandra W.
Jada Glen
Nov 25, 2017
Sophia
Oct 16, 2017 added it
A good book about 2 people that are surviving a disease that is killing many people.
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Ann
Sep 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Fractured: Tales of the Canadian Post-Apocalypse
  • Falling Sky (Ben Gold, #1)
  • Nothing Like Love
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • Unexpected Rain
  • The Between (Changeling's Choice, #1)
  • They All Fall Down (Shadow Jumpers, #2)
  • Dragon's Eye (Stonefort, #1)
  • Lies and Prophecy (Wilders #1)
  • Haywire
  • Darkbeast Rebellion (Darkbeast, #2)
  • The Pilgrim Glass
  • The Infinity Link
  • A Crowbar in the Buddhist Garden
  • Miles to Go (Sylvan Investigations, #1)
  • Foreign Devils (The Incorruptibles, #2)
  • Longeye (Duainfey, #2)
  • Kraken Bake (Epikurean Epic, #2)
Joe Beernink grew up in rural Southwestern Ontario, and graduated from York University with a B.Sc. in Space and Communication Science. He currently makes his living as a software developer near Seattle, Washington, where he blogs about his writing and his life at joebeernink.com.

Nowhere (2 books)
  • Nowhere Home (Nowhere #2)