Start by marking “Violets & Violence” as Want to Read:
Violets & Violence

Violets & Violence

Violet has magical talent. She can levitate, walk through glass, and be in two places at one time. What happens when Violet discovers true magic in the arms of a new man?

Luke Kemble enjoys the luxury of having Violet, all of her magic and all of her beauty, all to himself. What happens to Luke's illusion of reality when he and the love of his life are threatened by anothe
Published (first published December 15th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Violets & Violence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Violets & Violence

Nina Life of a Bookworm
Jan 22, 2016 Nina Life of a Bookworm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle

I want to be quick with this one cause today I'm lazy (I'm sorry) and too tired.

First I fell in love wit the cover - great job. Then I fell in love with synopsis.

You need to read this book. It will draw you in from the first page and put magic on you and you won't stop until you finish it. Believe me I know, I even read it on my work even  tho I am not allowed.

So basically I don't
Lisa
Dec 22, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
I often read a story and know right away how I'm going to review it and how many stars I'm going to give it. It was a very different scenario with Violets & Violence. The magic that's written on the pages goes far beyond just words in a book... and that's no illusion.

Magic is all about slight of hand, carefully lighted sets and fooling ones mind to believe something took place that could never possibly have happened. Violet is a master at her craft and a rising star. Everything that she is,
Julie
Dec 01, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Morgan Parker is a nom de plume for a man of mystery and former Canadian banker who has found his new career. His latest book, Violets and Violence, is a home run. Violets and Violence is an intensely intriguing thriller that is set primarily in Detroit.

This story is rich with detail, and Mr. Parker masterfully added layer upon layer as he spun his story. I was so deeply engrossed in the plot that like a member of the
Melissa
Dec 01, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it

For me, picking up a Morgan Parker book is to know that I’m going to get swept up in a unique story. One that’s well written and captivating. That’s exactly what I found with this story.

A magician named Violet, her manager and a sweet guy picked from the audience get caught up in a tangled web of illusions and manipulation. There were shocking moments, things that left me confused and others
K.M. Golland
BEAUTIFUL. UNIQUE. UNPREDICTABLE. GAH! He does it again. DAMN YOU, MORGAN PARKER.

Before starting this book I had a fairly good idea that I was in for something special. The gorgeous cover alone suggested a magic story was sure to follow. And that’s exactly what ensued.

Violets and Violence is a cleverly crafted and passionately written unique love story. Violet is a magician; an illusionist, a woman with mystery flowing through her blood. She meets Carter when he is chosen from the crowd to ass
Cyndi
Nov 26, 2014 Cyndi rated it it was amazing
One of my criteria for rating a book at 5 stars is whether or not I would read it more than once. Rarely do I find myself wanting to to re-read one just after I’ve finished it. With “Violets and Violence” by Morgan Parker that was indeed the case. “Violets and Violence” is another fine example of how artfully plotted Morgan Parker’s stories are. You really must pay very close attention to the characters in this story and “follow the cups” so to speak.

At the center of the story is “magic” in its
Megan
Nov 26, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing
5 Believing in Magic Stars

*ARC Review for Crazy Daisy Book Whore*

"Magic happens in life's seams, the tiny space, like this, that exists between the moments that count."

Wow! Just, wow! A must-read book that I could not put down.

Violet is the mysterious, magical star of Violets and Illusions. Luke is the man behind the scenes, creator of illusions and keeper of secrets. After performing a real-life illusion years ago, Violet and Luke are evading a past that is surely going to catch up with them.
Wendy
Nov 26, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
Ok…I’m gonna do my best to write a review that will justify how awesome this book is.

I was completely satisfied with this book as a whole. I loved everything that this book had to offer. By the time I was done, I knew that I have been on one of the most exhilarating ride I’ve ever been on. Morgan weaves a very intricate but fantastic web filled with suspense, action, some romance, and of course magic. And the way it is all written into the story and how it plays out is just brilliant. The chara
Suleika Santana -All About Books
Loved this story. Loved the twist, the characters and everything about it. I have to say that I did not see that coming at all, normally I am pretty good at predicting things in stories but somehow I was so into the story that I was blinded and didn't see what was coming. I really liked how the author didn't make you think for a second that it was a possibility at all, you just won't see it because you might be expecting something else, like I was. I loved the magic in the story and I have to sa ...more
All Booked Out
Dec 29, 2014 All Booked Out rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of an Author copy.

This is one of those books I wish I had read in paperback, I could imagine myself right there in the paperback, my finger getting ready to turn the next page, enjoy the smell of the book and the feel as I can imagine it would add to this. (I am a total Bookie)

Something a little different from Morgan, but in Morgan's wonderful storytelling style and when I first read a little passage I knew this was going to be for me as it has intrigue and illusion. More dra
Laveda  Kasch

First off I have to say that I rarely reread a book, but I'm ready to reread this one already! Violet was.....something else... I loved her and at times hated her too, but she always seemed to pull me back to her side. FOR ME...This book was full of...

AND...

AND THEN...

GIFSoup

moments.

This book kept me on the edge of my seat, THE. WHOLE. TIME! I started out just reading, taking it all in and
Karen Peacock
Dec 27, 2014 Karen Peacock rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Morgan weaves a masterpiece of love, mystery and suspense! For me this story had a very different feel from his other books I have read. Creating a story that is a little more dark, I was hooked from the very first paragraph and it left me thinking about it since I finished. I love that this story was mysterious, suspenseful, and it leaves you on the edge of your seat often wondering where these characters were going and what was going to happen next. I especially love that this novel had so muc ...more
Erycka
Dec 31, 2014 Erycka rated it really liked it
First let me say, I received a copy of Violets & Violence from the author for an honest review.

I've read several of Morgan's books and have never been disappointed. So, when I sat down to read this book, I had an expectation of reading a good book. Probably not fair but nonetheless, it was there. And like always, Morgan delivered!!

Violet is a master at her craft. She knows just how to push the envelope and the scope of one's mind into believing the "untruths" of magic...or is it true? She's
Amy
Dec 21, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
I finished this book about a week ago, but I've had some trouble trying to find the right words to be able to write this review..
You see, this book got me... As in it satisfied, the way a wonderfully written book can satisfy an avid reader. I was worried that if I rushed writing my review, I might not give this great story enough credit. This still might not be worded well enough...
(As I state in pretty much every review I write: I will not give spoilers, so I won't give away anything to those
MJ
Nov 26, 2014 MJ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books
I have read every single one of Morgan Parker's books and I am always in awe of both his talent and ability to keep surprising with his creativity. With Violets & Violence, it's as if his writing has been taken to a whole new level. The storyline, while intricate at times, kept me incredibly fascinated. From beginning to end. I was intrigued right from the start and didn't come up for air until I finished the very last line.

While the story revolves around an illusions act, there are many oth
Junis
Jan 05, 2015 Junis rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of picking up a book that is somewhat a departure from what I normally read even though I like to consider myself a reader of all things fiction. This one was literally magic! You’ll see.

This was a really intriguing mystery from beginning to end because it kept me wondering what the heck was going on and frustrating me with the need to figure the puzzle out. The writer didn’t make it all that easy but then again I don’t consider myself much of a “mystery” reader. I need to rea
D
Nov 26, 2014 D rated it really liked it
Love is an illusion?... or maybe it's just Morgan Parker's writing that is the illusion.
Morgan Parker has this beautiful and unique writing style that constantly has you second guessing what is happening in the story. He also has this incredible ability to write a sub story (story within the story) that runs deeper than tying the main story line together.

What I look forward to most when I read a Morgan Parker novel is his take or twist on love.
Violets & Violence really showcased this. The '
Verna Loves Books
Nov 26, 2014 Verna Loves Books rated it really liked it
Violets and Violence is definitely different from any other Morgan Parker book I have read. That being said I believe this one was so unique and intriguing. Morgan did a really good job writing something out of his usual writing.

I was hooked from the very beginning and found myself never wanting to put it down till the very end. The book was captivating, magical, suspenseful, and even had a little romance and love thrown into the mix. It had everything you could as for in a book.

I really loved
Stella
Dec 03, 2014 Stella rated it it was amazing
Morgan Parker has once again drawn me in to an incredibly well told story that leave you breathless... You won't want to put this book down from beginning to end the illusions and magic that Violet presents will keep you wondering what is next for this characters.

From Violet to Luke (her manager) right back to Carter

Who will she pick?

“I’m falling in love with this guy,” she repeated. “I’m not sacrificing that, and I don’t care if that annoys you or anyone else.

“I can’t make love magically appea
Shell
I haven't read a book from Morgan Parker that I haven't liked. I thought Surviving Goodbye was my favourite...but Violets and Violence knocked it out of the ball park, round the block, and back again.

It's always a great sign when I am frustrated by a book but want to keep reading. I was left pondering what was going on, how characters were connected, and left asking who, what, why, where, how? for most of the book.

I am glad not to have shed tears for once when reading one of MP's books. I did fe
☮ Syrina ☮ RWBR
Nov 26, 2014 ☮ Syrina ☮ RWBR rated it it was amazing
Oooh I just knew I was going to fall for the other team in this one and Violet did not disappoint! I adored her, her magic, her spice in life, her secrets, her mood swings, and now I know why. Morgan Parker threw all the Loopty Loo's at us in this one with the talent of a true magician.
V&V had the secrets of trade with.. slight of hand, mind bending tricks, and the flair for the dramatic.

This Author amazes me with his creative skills, his style of writing just flows so smoothly you feel like
Angela Shockley
Jan 03, 2015 Angela Shockley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I See What You Did There

Violets and Violence was such an awesome read! Almost every time I thought I had it figured out, I was wrong. Except for the big twist... I saw it coming a mile away very early on in the story. Don't worry Morgan, I love figuring things out! ;) With that said, I LOVED IT!

I would totally pay to see the Violets show. I would also let Carter manage the bell out of my money if I had any.

I was annoyed with Rinker and Lindsey, as I suppose I should have been. Luke grated on my
Daina Lazzarotto
Dec 31, 2014 Daina Lazzarotto rated it it was amazing
Morgan Parker is like a fine wine (or scotch) he just gets better with time.

I have absolutely loved all of Morgan’s books and this is no different. I was captivated and at the edge of my seat throughout the entire book. I love the way Morgan always keeps you guessing at what is going to happen and I love that no matter what I think is going to happen it is always something different.

If you are looking for a great book that is well written, full of passion and excitement then this book is for yo
Jess
Feb 25, 2015 Jess rated it it was amazing
Are you watching closely?

I definitely think this quote from the movie, Now You See You, is completely relevant and you’ll see why :)

First off, the cover!!! I heart it! Yes, I love a good cover ;) But look at it! It’s gorgeous! When I first started reading, I didn’t realise that there would be magic in involved! I should have known however, it didn’t click right away but I was so stoked! I love magic! So already Mr. Parker had me sold on his book. I became fixated by the story and was like this:
Shanyn
Jan 02, 2015 Shanyn rated it it was amazing
Secrets. We all have them. Some are little, benign little things that stay hidden from a sense of embarrassment or lack of interest. But some are sharp around the edges; potentially lethal in their consequences and ramifications. Some stay buried out of desperation. A lingering panic that arises whether bidden or not with the thought that they may one day come to light. Those secrets are the ones that are truly dangerous and luckily they make for the very best stories.

Violet is a magician, or m
Heather
Feb 28, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
The book opens with Violet in a room with a lawyer. She's accused of stealing papers from a safety deposit box. In an effort to get them back the bank is willing to give her $200,000 and the papers can be returned anonymously. She takes the money and begins her magical life.

The story follows three main characters. First is Edie who is now called Violet. She's a gorgeous woman who performs illusions in a magic show. Her illusions are so good that she keeps on moving to bigger and better venues. S
Kathie (katmom)
First, this cover caught my attention. Then the blurb drew me in. It was an engaging read, for sure.

Carter is chosen to check out the props at a stage show. Violet banters with him as he checks out the huge glass wall...that she then walks right through. He feels a connection to the woman in the cat suit and she gives him her number before he leaves. Carter has some hang ups, though. He's not quite over his ex-wife, the woman who just walked right of of his life. This new woman has pretty much o
Brittany  {Flirty and Dirty Book Blog}
This is one of those slow burn kind of books. The kind that keeps you constantly guessing and wondering just what the hell is going on. While I've read plenty of books in the Mystery genre before, I had never read a book quite like Violets and Violence.

It tells the story of Violent, a young magician in Detroit. What makes this book so original though is that her story isn't told through her eyes but rather through the two men in her life. One there by chance, and one there from the start.

I don
Marsha Spohn
Feb 19, 2015 Marsha Spohn rated it really liked it
I cannot truly review this one without giving away important (In My Opinion) spoilers. So let’s cover the very basics.

Violet is an amazing magician. She is magical on the stage. One night during a show an audience member joins her on the stage. The rest, as they say is history – or the story. The story is told through the viewpoints of the two men in Violet’s life. Luke, not only her manager, but her love, her only love for a long time. Carter, still reeling from a divorce, he is broken but sta
Rhonda
Nov 26, 2014 Rhonda rated it it was amazing
A Magical Mystery

I was given this novel as an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Since reading the ARC, I have purchased the e-book & also the paperback – YES, it is that good.

“Magic happens in life's seams, the tiny space, like this, that exists between the moments that count.”

It is no secret that I am a Morgan Parker fan. He has once again written my favorite type of story – a mystery with romance.

The story centers on the main characters Violet, Carter & Luke. Were their lives an il
Morgan Parker is the pen name for a shy and introverted former banker. Given the nature of his former career and his unique childhood upbringing in a trendy, white-collar town West of Toronto, Mr. Parker made up plenty of stories to stay employed and to avoid the responsibilities of adulthood. His novels are a product of those stories.

Mr. Parker believes that all great novels involve realistic cha
More about Morgan Parker...

“Magic happens in life’s seams, the tiny space, like this, that exists between the moments that count.” 0 likes