Start by marking “Outlining Your Novel Workbook: Step-by-Step Exercises for Planning Your Best Book” as Want to Read:

(Helping Writers Become Authors #2)

About the Book

Learn How to Make Your First Draft Easy!

Award-winning author K.M. Weiland’s previous book, the bestselling Outlining Your Novel, showed writers how to embrace outlines in a way that makes the writing process fun, inspiring, and easy.

Now it’s time to put those lessons to use! Building upon the principles you’ve already learned, the Outlining Your Novel
Published November 15th 2014 by PenForASword Publisher (first published November 12th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Outlining Your Novel Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outlining Your Novel Workbook

Start your review of Outlining Your Novel Workbook: Step-by-Step Exercises for Planning Your Best Book
Bill Tillman
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've taken this off my shelf several times now it's full of writings, notes and eraser marks. So yes it has been a great motivator for me,! ...more
Stella
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-writing, 2014
Got the Kindle version. So useful. Although I did read the book and loved it and found it very useful I never followed advice and I just kept on pantsing. And of course, although I am done with the first draft of my novel, I there are parts that just don't work and I know it and I need to really sit down and plot rather than do my very favorite part - just write.

I started answering the questions and doing the exercises already.

Love it how easy it is to just underline in Kindle then copy paste on
Caro
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Much like her Outling your Novel book, the accompanying Workbook to Outlining your Novel is an excellent read that is definitely a must read for writers!

I loved the guided approach in the workdbook and generally like it when things are organized so I worked my way through the Workbook (in one sitting actually)! I highly recommend checking it out if you have read the previous book (and you really should read Outlining your Novel first as it goes more into detail what each section is about) and l
Geoff Elliott
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read Outlining Your Novel and liked it enough I decided to read the Workbook. I'm glad I did!

As the name says this is a workbook. It takes the processes from Outlining Your Novel and allows you to use the book to work through the process without all the explanations in the original book. While I think to two books work well together because of the amount of background provided in the book, you could probably get by with just the workbook. You'd be losing the background and author insights but
Olivia
I used about half of this to outline a novel, but for me it got just a little tedious so I glanced through the rest to get an idea what else the author had to say. Some of it is quite interesting and I'm all for outlining. I just thought some of the stuff seems somewhat odd to do for story outline (a.k.a. finding music for each part of your story and character).

I personally preferred Outlining Your Novel, rather than the workbook. The first book gives you some ideas but leaves more room to allo
Mary Latela
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
K.M. comes through with an excellent resource for planning book writing. In clear terms, with solid samples, and exceptional enthusiasm, she has provided a workbook with rich and fascinating, as well as practical advice. I rushed through first, and now will take my time using the exercises as I work on a book project. Highly recommended. @LatelaMary
Monica T. Rodriguez
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: writers who want help outlining a novel
Shelves: writing
This is a great resource for a writer who wants to firm up their ideas for a novel. Helps you develop characters and define the major points in your story. Clear examples, and the questions at the end of each chapter give a clear road map for what you need to do. Highly recommend this workbook and the companion book!
Sarah Rhea Werner
AWESOME! I loved the practical advice and followed along with every step. In the end, I had a premise, log line, list of characters, and plot outline -- and tons of new ideas I wouldn't have had otherwise. Great resource. ...more
Linda Yezak
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Perfect companion to Weiland's handbook, Outlining Your Novel. I recommend using both together.

Emma England
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Weiland suggests you read Outlining Your Novel (OYN) first and that is excellent advice. I tried dipping into this workbook first but it was not a good idea. Once I came back to it after reading the OYN it became much more useful.

Having said that, I think it is a workbook to skimread very quickly and then dip in and out of when you want to create character sheets, develop scenes etc. It is a shorthand for OYN. I won't need to revisit OYN because now I have the workbook. That is really the reason
Anastasia
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't get to use the book fully because I don't have time, but I believe that I will use this much more in the future.

It is exactly what I wanted, and what I needed. I like knowing what's the next thing I'll be doing, and this makes it so much easier to develop my ideas.

The only thing I would add to the book is doing prewriting for your characters before plotting. If I don't, my outline becomes useless and turns the story into a mess.

Would I recommend this to my past self?

*I was asked to
Steven Sheeley
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This is, by far, one of the best, if not the best, book I have read concerning how to outline your book. The author is insightful and doesn't come across as condescending at all. Each chapter is full of guidance and pair with her workbook really made it easy for me to outline my new novel.
I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone trying to start writing.
Brian Knack
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This workbook has helped me improve my writing 1,000 percent. I'm what we call a panster; I write by the seat of my pants. This book has helped me bring some order to my work. I still write by the seat of my pants but now I have a somewhat ordered plan to work from.

Great book for anyone who has trouble organizing their ideas and bringing their thoughts into their fullest possible story Idea!
Carrow Brown
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This is something I would give to a new writer or someone who wants to give structuring a try. The book isn't poor or lacking, but the structure used in this is not for me. More than one time I put it down because I didn't like it, but my friend who didn't know how to outline said it helped him a lot. ...more
Kyle
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book does an excellent job of what I was looking for in an outlining workbook: it helped me gather my ideas and flesh them out before beginning to write a novel. I do not think every single step in this book is needed, but they may help with another writing project down the line, so I am not going to discount them.
Cassidy
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved this. Especially working on the premise, the scene list, the character arc and interview details, and the setting questions. This is the most outlining I've ever done. Moving on to the story structure book now. ...more
Wilder
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This doesn't work for me as well as the Snowflake Method, but it is pretty darn amazing, and it also offers more guidance for writers who are into that sort of thing. Weiland's workbooks are, if possible, even more useful than their source material. They're a playground of inspiration. ...more
Danger Prone Daphne
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent guide!

Excellent planning guide for streamlining the novel writing process. I expect this saved me sevetsl throuogh revisions. Wont start another novel without completing this workbook first.
Dalletta Olena
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was instrumental in getting me 'unstuck' in rewriting a book. It helped me better understand my characters, provided me with a solid took to kick-start my imagination. I would recommend anything by K. M Weiland. ...more
Sunchana
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really very helpful to authors!
M.J. Sewall
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
About more than just outlining. i found several helpful tips and lists. Well done.
Tami Lykens
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent techniques. I use them.
Mark
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hopefully this will help map out my next novel
Yvonne Day
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very informative and clearifies things in it's companion book. ...more
JC Haley
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent information for taming the novel writing process!
Maya
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very helpful and even though I decided to scrap the novel I was working on I know that I can use this well in the future.
Debbie Willson
K M Weiland really understands how a story works and then pushes you some more! She has a fantastic mind to teach the structure, arcs and everything else we writers need to learn. Highly recommended.
Colleen
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This and her story structure book have been the only ones that help me really get the best way to outline and structure a novel. This is fantastic.
Jane Nash
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
this is the best
i keep on using it over and over and over for my work -
\buy from this author on how to write a book and forget all the others
Jenna
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this workbook! It goes along great with the book and allows me to dedicate the whole workbook for my WIP.

• Save the Cat! Writes a Novel
  • The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
  • The Emotional Wound Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Psychological Trauma
  • The Negative Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Flaws
  • Take Off Your Pants! Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
  • Story Genius: How to Use Brain Science to Go Beyond Outlining and Write a Riveting Novel (Before You Waste Three Years Writing 327 Pages That Go Nowhere)
  • The Positive Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Attributes
  • Emotion Amplifiers
  • The Psychology Workbook for Writers
  • Mastering Suspense, Structure, and Plot: How to Write Gripping Stories That Keep Readers on the Edge of Their Seats
  • Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1)
  • No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • Making a Good Script Great
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • Creating Character: Bringing Your Story to Life (Red Sneaker Writers Books) (Volume 2)
  • Film Directing Fundamentals: See Your Film Before Shooting
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes
K.M. Weiland lives in make-believe worlds, talks to imaginary friends, and survives primarily on chocolate truffles and espresso.

She is the IPPY, NIEA, and Lyra Award-winning and internationally published author of the acclaimed writing guides Outlining Your Novel, Structuring Your Novel, and Creating Character Arcs, as well as Jane Eyre: The Writer’s Digest Annotated Classic.

Her fiction include

Helping Writers Become Authors (8 books)
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • Structuring Your Novel: Essential Keys for Writing an Outstanding Story
  • Structuring Your Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Building Strong and Successful Stories
  • Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration: Learn to Nurture a Lifestyle of Creativity
  • 5 Secrets of Story Structure: How to Write a Novel That Stands Out
  • Creating Character Arcs: The Masterful Author's Guide to Uniting Story Structure, Plot, and Character Development
  • Creating Character Arcs Workbook: The Writer's Reference to Exceptional Character Development and Creative Writing

News & Interviews