Start by marking “Outlining Your Novel Workbook: Step-by-Step Exercises for Planning Your Best Book (Helping Writers Become Authors 2)” as Want to Read:

About the Book

Learn How to Make Your First Draft Easy!

Award-winning author K.M. Weiland’s previous book, the bestselling Outlining Your Novel, showed writers how to embrace outlines in a way that makes the writing process fun, inspiring, and easy.

Now it’s time to put those lessons to use! Building upon the principles you’ve already learned, the Outlining Your Novel Workbook presents a
Published November 15th 2014 by PenForASword Publisher (first published November 12th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Outlining Your Novel Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outlining Your Novel Workbook

Start your review of Outlining Your Novel Workbook: Step-by-Step Exercises for Planning Your Best Book (Helping Writers Become Authors 2)
Bill Tillman
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've taken this off my shelf several times now it's full of writings, notes and eraser marks. So yes it has been a great motivator for me,!
Stella
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-writing, 2014
Got the Kindle version. So useful. Although I did read the book and loved it and found it very useful I never followed advice and I just kept on pantsing. And of course, although I am done with the first draft of my novel, I there are parts that just don't work and I know it and I need to really sit down and plot rather than do my very favorite part - just write.

I started answering the questions and doing the exercises already.

Love it how easy it is to just underline in K
Caro
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Much like her Outling your Novel book, the accompanying Workbook to Outlining your Novel is an excellent read that is definitely a must read for writers!

I loved the guided approach in the workdbook and generally like it when things are organized so I worked my way through the Workbook (in one sitting actually)! I highly recommend checking it out if you have read the previous book (and you really should read Outlining your Novel first as it goes more into detail what each section is about) and like
Geoff Elliott
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read Outlining Your Novel and liked it enough I decided to read the Workbook. I'm glad I did!

As the name says this is a workbook. It takes the processes from Outlining Your Novel and allows you to use the book to work through the process without all the explanations in the original book. While I think to two books work well together because of the amount of background provided in the book, you could probably get by with just the workbook. You'd be losing the background and author insights but
Olivia
I used about half of this to outline a novel, but for me it got just a little tedious so I glanced through the rest to get an idea what else the author had to say. Some of it is quite interesting and I'm all for outlining. I just thought some of the stuff seems somewhat odd to do for story outline (a.k.a. finding music for each part of your story and character).

I personally preferred Outlining Your Novel, rather than the workbook. The first book gives you some ideas but leaves more room to allo
Monica Rodriguez
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: writers who want help outlining a novel
Shelves: writing
This is a great resource for a writer who wants to firm up their ideas for a novel. Helps you develop characters and define the major points in your story. Clear examples, and the questions at the end of each chapter give a clear road map for what you need to do. Highly recommend this workbook and the companion book!
Mary Latela
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
K.M. comes through with an excellent resource for planning book writing. In clear terms, with solid samples, and exceptional enthusiasm, she has provided a workbook with rich and fascinating, as well as practical advice. I rushed through first, and now will take my time using the exercises as I work on a book project. Highly recommended. @LatelaMary
Linda Yezak
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Perfect companion to Weiland's handbook, Outlining Your Novel. I recommend using both together.

Cassandra Yieng
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a comprehensive workbook. The in-depth questions are more than enough to flesh out the story and they help in getting essential information from the characters, setting and plot of a novel idea.

My personal experience:

I tried to complete the workbook linearly to flesh out my novel’s outline but got stuck at the log line because I had an inanimate character in mind, but not what challenges it faced or its antagonist. There I began to doubt my story idea, so I read a
Anastasia
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't get to use the book fully because I don't have time, but I believe that I will use this much more in the future.

It is exactly what I wanted, and what I needed. I like knowing what's the next thing I'll be doing, and this makes it so much easier to develop my ideas.

The only thing I would add to the book is doing prewriting for your characters before plotting. If I don't, my outline becomes useless and turns the story into a mess.

Would I recommend this to my past
Carrow Brown
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This is something I would give to a new writer or someone who wants to give structuring a try. The book isn't poor or lacking, but the structure used in this is not for me. More than one time I put it down because I didn't like it, but my friend who didn't know how to outline said it helped him a lot.
Steven Sheeley
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This is, by far, one of the best, if not the best, book I have read concerning how to outline your book. The author is insightful and doesn't come across as condescending at all. Each chapter is full of guidance and pair with her workbook really made it easy for me to outline my new novel.
I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone trying to start writing.
Brian Knack
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This workbook has helped me improve my writing 1,000 percent. I'm what we call a panster; I write by the seat of my pants. This book has helped me bring some order to my work. I still write by the seat of my pants but now I have a somewhat ordered plan to work from.

Great book for anyone who has trouble organizing their ideas and bringing their thoughts into their fullest possible story Idea!
Carrie
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This doesn't work for me as well as the Snowflake Method, but it is pretty darn amazing, and it also offers more guidance for writers who are into that sort of thing. Weiland's workbooks are, if possible, even more useful than their source material. They're a playground of inspiration.
Kyle
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book does an excellent job of what I was looking for in an outlining workbook: it helped me gather my ideas and flesh them out before beginning to write a novel. I do not think every single step in this book is needed, but they may help with another writing project down the line, so I am not going to discount them.
Dalletta Reed
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was instrumental in getting me 'unstuck' in rewriting a book. It helped me better understand my characters, provided me with a solid took to kick-start my imagination. I would recommend anything by K. M Weiland.
Sarah Rhea Werner
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
AWESOME! I loved the practical advice and followed along with every step. In the end, I had a premise, log line, list of characters, and plot outline -- and tons of new ideas I wouldn't have had otherwise. Great resource.
Danger Prone Daphne
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent guide!

Excellent planning guide for streamlining the novel writing process. I expect this saved me sevetsl throuogh revisions. Wont start another novel without completing this workbook first.
Cassidy
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved this. Especially working on the premise, the scene list, the character arc and interview details, and the setting questions. This is the most outlining I've ever done. Moving on to the story structure book now.
Sunchana
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really very helpful to authors!
Maya
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very helpful and even though I decided to scrap the novel I was working on I know that I can use this well in the future.
Mark
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hopefully this will help map out my next novel
Yvonne Day
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very informative and clearifies things in it's companion book.
JC Haley
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent information for taming the novel writing process!
Tami Lykens
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent techniques. I use them.
Debbie Willson
K M Weiland really understands how a story works and then pushes you some more! She has a fantastic mind to teach the structure, arcs and everything else we writers need to learn. Highly recommended.
M.J. Sewall
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
About more than just outlining. i found several helpful tips and lists. Well done.
Jenna
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this workbook! It goes along great with the book and allows me to dedicate the whole workbook for my WIP.
Hester Maree
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A well set-out book in which the author offers clear guidelines for outlining a novel. She advocates planning rather than plotting and makes it sound easy. The greatest value of the book, I thought, was in the motivation she gives writers who have a formulated idea for their book and wish to start writing, but just need a little nudge to get going. She shows them how.
Andrea Huelsenbeck
I love K.M. Weiland’s blog, Helping Writers Become Authors, with its helpful articles on the craft of fiction. I also loved her book, Dreamlander. So it’s reasonable that I would buy her Outlining Your Novel Workbook: Step-by-Step Exercises for Planning Your Best Book, the companion to her manual, Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success.
I am a person who gets into trouble when I try to write by the seat of my pants. I really need to plan out my story pretty much from beginning to end

• Emotion Amplifiers
  • The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Expression
  • Write Your Novel From the Middle: A New Approach for Plotters, Pantsers and Everyone in Between
  • Successful Self-Publishing: How to self-publish and market your book in ebook and print
  • Take Off Your Pants! Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
  • Save the Cat! Writes a Novel
  • The Emotional Craft of Fiction: How to Write with Emotional Power, Develop Achingly Real Characters, Move Your Readers, and Create Riveting Moral Stakes
  • Plot & Structure: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting a Plot That Grips Readers from Start to Finish
  • Dog Songs
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • NIV Women of Faith Study Bible: Experience the Liberating Grace of God
  • Holy Bible: Adventure Bible, Revised, NIV
  • NIV Boys Bible
  • The Rural Setting Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Personal and Natural Places
  • Nine Day Novel-Outlining: Outlining Your Novel: Plotting Your Way to Success (Fiction Writing Basics Book 0)
  • The Negative Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide to Character Flaws
  • Shockwave (Star Kingdom #1)
K.M. Weiland lives in make-believe worlds, talks to imaginary friends, and survives primarily on chocolate truffles and espresso.

She is the IPPY, NIEA, and Lyra Award-winning and internationally published author of the acclaimed writing guides Outlining Your Novel, Structuring Your Novel, and Creating Character Arcs, as well as Jane Eyre: The Writer’s Digest Annotated Classic.

Her fiction include