Start by marking “Holding Court” as Want to Read:

Holding Court

Sixteen-year-old Jules Verity knows exactly what's in store at her new job at castle-turned-dinner-theater Tudor Times. Some extra cash, wearing a fancy-pants dress, and plenty of time to secretly drool over the ever-so-tasty--and completely unavailable--Grayson Chandler. Except that it's not quite what she imagined.

For one, the costume Jules has to wear is awful. Then
Published March 1st 2016 by Entangled Teen

Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YA Debuts 2016
256 books — 1,440 voters
Double Negative by C. Lee McKenzieRoseBlood by A.G. HowardThief of Lies by Brenda DrakeMy Lady Jane by Cynthia HandIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YASH 2016 Fall Edition
119 books — 156 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Holding Court
Irena
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Written in the first person, Holding Court follows a girl named Jules, who is „cursed“ with what she likes to call „Psychic Tourette's Syndrome“.

If you're confused just like I was and wonder what that could be, let me explain it to you: from time to time, Julie, uncontrollably, blurbs out what will happen to someone in the future, but she tells that pretty much in codes. Overall, the whole thing makes her a weirdo in other people's eyes.

description

She's not the only one with the gift. Her grandmother can
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley.)

“Mermaids blush when clothes unmake the man!”

This was a YA mystery story, about a girl who had sudden psychic premonitions.

Juliet was a cute character, and her little outbursts were quite funny. She seemed to be really intent on finding out what had happened to the missing dead body she discovered, although she seemed a bit clueless at times!

The storyline in
Beth
Holding Court is a cute teen romance.

Jules is “cursed” with premonitions that seem more like a serious case of Tourrette’s. She randomly blurts strange and unusual conflagrations of words making her an outcast at school and difficult to keep a job. When Jules gets hired as the fortune teller at the local mid-evil reenactment castle it might be the perfect place to really put her talents to use until someone turns up dead.

It seems, no matter how hard Jules tries, everything she touches just goes
Alycia
Amazon has the pb for just $7! Go snag it quick! Veronica Mars meets Awkward. Hilarious and fun!
jv poore
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
by k.c. held

I can honestly say I’ve never read anything quite like Holding Court. I cannot tell you what it is ‘about’. You wouldn’t believe me. It simply shouldn’t work. Like sea salt on chocolate. Makes no sense. Those things do not go together. And yet….I thoroughly enjoyed the unprecedented coalescence of young love, psychics, pseudo-theatre, mystery and murder.

There’s a lot to consider as a sixteen year old girl looking for a summer job to buy a car. For example, are there any
Rachel Harris
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Completely delightful! I honestly can’t remember the last time I had this much fun reading. HOLDING COURT is the perfect blend of laugh-out-loud hijinks and butterfly-inducing romance. I didn’t want it to end!
Carrie
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Sixteen year old Jules Verity has a family that each have different gifts, or curses depending on how you look at it. Her grandmother can see auras and has used the ability to set up her own matchmaking service. Her mother can touch any object and tell the authenticity so has her own antique shop. However Jules doesn't have control over her ability, it seems she's psychic but it comes as blurting out random sayings that make little to no sense at the time thus her best friend Cami has dubbed the ...more
Heather Petty
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friends, favorites, ya, arc, mystery
I love this book so much. It's the perfect mix of everything I love: charming, hilarious characters; a super-smart, clue-filled puzzle to solve ; and a spooky, mysterious castle filled with people in costumes. The pining romance left me gasping. The mystery left me gasping. I basically didn't breathe for like the last half of the book. (I might have snuck a breath or two... so I could finish reading before death.)

And Juliet's family is amazing. I love her mother and grandmother so much. I may
Rê
4.5 “I fell in love with the protagonist” STARS

ARC via NetGalley.

Thank you, Entangled!

Full review also on the blog: https://t.co/FxyQR1HZCw

First thing I'll say about this is I started and finished it in one day. A Friday. I could've gone out with my friends or gone with my husband to a nice restaurant... or even started partying since it's Carnaval this weekend, but nope. I chose to stay home and finish this book because I fell in love with Jules.

When that happens, don’t expect me to step away
Rhea Dsouza
I don’t think I can thank Entangled Teen enough for tossing this book my way! Holding Court might very well be the cutest, funniest YA Contemporary Mystery that has come out so far this year!

Holding Courtfollows one summer in the life of sixteen year old Jules Verity. With her mom gone away due to a job, Jules decides to take up a job at the “castle-turned-dinner-theatre" Tudor Times. She hopes to wear fancy dresses and have a little extra in the cookie jar. Of course, there’s the tiny incentive
Nicole
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, favorites
First things first: I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley.
The book comes out March 1st. GO CHECK IT OUT!!!!

I'm so glad I stumbled upon this book. The cover immediatly made me wanna read it. The story sounded pretty interesting too.

The book is about Jules, 16 years old, blessed or well cursed with PTS (Psychic Tourette's Syndrome), it's the way her best friend Cami calls her spontaneous and uncontrollable prophecies that Jules keeps shouting in other people's faces. Jules is looking
Kassandra
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fluffy & frivolous mystery readers
2.5 stars. This was cute, if frivolous and just an "alright" little story.

99% of the writing was either dialogue or Juliet's thoughts (basically unspoken dialogue), so I would have appreciated more detailed writing about the other characters and the setting, as well as backstory. I wanted to know more about Juliet's family's psychic history! Their powers! This book is so short, it could have really benefited from more of anything.

Also, while the humor came off as charming and quirky at
Bekah (WillBakeforBooks)
I knew I was going to love this book when I started laughing at the very first sentence. I thought to myself, “This is going to be one of my favorite authors.” Before I go into all the wonderful reasons of why I adored this book, let me tell you a little bit about what it’s about.

Juliet “Jules” Verity has always considered herself a freak, thanks to her annoying habit of uncontrollably spewing crazy-sounding prophecies at random. It’s made a lot of things in her life very difficult — such as
Jaclyn
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Who told you to say that?"
"What? No one. I have a blurting problem. It happens more when I'm nervous. Like now. My friend Cami calls it Psychic Tourette's Syndrome. PTS for short. I call it mortifying."

The Good

This was such a funny and cute story. The characters are wonderful. Jules Verity comes from a family in which the women all exhibit some sort of power. Her quirky grandmother runs a matchmaking company called The Aura of Romance with her ability to read auras and she drives a pink golf
Rosalyn Eves
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I knew just a few pages into KC Held's debut, HOLDING COURT, that I was going to enjoy the book--particularly after discovering that Held and I have a mutual adoration of Elizabeth Peters' wonderfully madcap mysteries, and those were part of her inspiration behind this book.

This book was fun, breezy, and witty with just the right touch of romance. Juliet ("Jules") Verity was a delightful main character--smart, loyal, and just self-deprecating enough to be relatable. Part of this, of course,
Samantha
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ohmigosh, this book made me so giddy with happiness! I'm pretty sure my cheeks are going to be sore from smiling and laughing so much.

Let me be fair by saying I am obsessed with two things that feature prominently in the book - the Tudor family and The Princess Bride. I've also always wanted to work in one of those old-timey places where you get to wear a costume and play someone else for tourists. So, really, this book had me from the description.

Poor Jules Verity has an unfortunate gift for
Melissa (YA Book Shelf)
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wasn't reading much this past weekend because life and adulting, but whenever I picked this book up, I couldn't put it down after just one more chapter. It's equal parts funny, swoony, and a little bit creepy. In other words, the perfect combination for a YA mystery.

Jules Verity is as truthful as they come. She also has the gift that her BFF dubbed Psychic Tourette's Syndrome, which causes her to blurt out prophecies that seem to make no sense, but turn out to be poignant and useful later on
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
Thank you for netgalley, the publisher, and author for the chance to read this book.

I am so pleasantly surprised to say that I kind of loved this book. I love murder mysteries, but my favorite ones are the ones that can also make me laugh. I love the humor that breaks up the tension and seriousness. This book was fun and well written. Some things were easy to figure out, but there were some twists and I didn't figure out who the murderer was beforehand like I do in so many books.
The characters
S.A.M
Oops, I read this in one sitting (I keep doing that lately) but I so totally do not regret a thing. I have a feeling Holding Court is going to become on of my favorite cheer me up reads. Quirky characters with a narrator I definitely related to, not that I have a blurting problem, I'm just awkward, a mystery and a castle! I only wish this book had been longer and that it dove more into Juliet learning to control her premonitions.

The narration style and wry humor was exactly what I love; I
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
This book was so much fun! I read it in one sitting and often found myself giggling but also feeling bad because there is certainly a serious mystery going on. It's a bit of an odd read, but too cute to pass!
Nina
So somehow I missed the murder mystery part and thought this would just be a cute fluffy contemporary read?

OK, so it is a fluffy YA contemporary read, dead bodies aside. Jules is an adorably funny 16 year old psychic, who can't help blurting out random premonitions. She takes a job as a fortune-telling nun at Tudor Times, a Henry VIII themed castle-touristy-place because her long time crush, Grayson, works there.

description

After she finds a secret passageway and a dead body, things just kinda spiral out
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Let me start off by saying, if you are on the fence about this one, but like a good mystery and a girl who randomly blurts out the future: this one is for you. I really enjoyed this one and found myself giggling like a madwoman at some points because it was too true and too hilarious. There were even some points where I felt such second hand embarrassment for Jules that I had to put the book down and wait a couple
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
Even though this YA book was a murder mystery, it was a lot of fun! It was cute, charming, and quite funny. There were certain things that I didn't like about this book, but I definitely enjoyed it as a whole.

I felt like the first chapter of this book was a little jarring. The book jumped right into talking about Juliet's premonitions that she blurts out, and it made me very confused. It took me a little while to understanding what was happening. Once I understood Juliet's situation, the book
Alisha Tarran
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS GOING TO BE A SERIES?! It really, really needs to be you guys!
This book is so much perfection you have no idea, it was funny, there was romance, there was mystery and ya know...murder and it was also kind of original. Like the whole setting was so brilliantly done and I wasn't expecting all the scenes with them doing the whole Tudor thing, it was brilliant and very well done and added a little something extra to the book!

I loved the setting in general, and I would
Kristy Mauna
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-reading, mystery
The best way for me to describe Holding Court is by saying it's a charming, light mystery read! It is very fast paced and quite enjoyable!

We start off by meeting our main character, Jules, and her family who appears to each have their own psychic ability of some sort. Jules has what she refers to as "PTS" - where she blurts out random sayings that make no sense at the time, but in the end somehow come true. Jules is such an interesting character and I absolutely loved her! She's smart, quirky,
Brittney
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
*** I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review***
This book is the perfect coming of age novel for all younger teens. This is because it is the kind of book that has a complex, yet easy to follow, mystery that must be solved and the protagonist grows throughout this book in confidence and as a person. This novel is also written for a younger audience without appearing juvenile so older teens can also enjoy this quick read.
What I liked:
*The Mystery
I love a good book with a
Bookmafia
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
Let me start out by saying this…this book was so much fun to read I am actually going to search for other books written by the author. I read a lot. When I say a lot I mean one or more books daily is the norm for me. I was not expecting all the goodness that exists within this little gem.

So Holding Court follows Juliet ‘Jules’ Verity. She is a high school girl working a summer job while her mom is out of town at a local tourist spot Tudor Times. It is a Medieval Times type themed restaurant.
Cocktails and Books
This review was originally posted on Cocktails and Books

I was looking for something a little different to read and this Entangled Teen title caught my attention. The heroine is quirky (along with her grandmother and best friend), her job a bit over the top and the storyline full of comedy and a little suspense.

Jules, who has bouts of physic moments where she blurts out whatever is presented to her, finds herself playing a psychic nun at the local medieval castle tourist attraction. It also
Veronica
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

The women in Jules family have the gift of sight. For Jules this manifests with what she calls "psychic Tourette's syndrome". She randomly blurts out prophesies in the form of sentences that seem to make no sense. At least not at the time.

When Jules lands a job playing a psychic at a local castle she stumbles across a dead body while trying to hide from her childhood crush. The dead body promptly goes missing and the
Denise Van plew
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One thing is for sure as I was reading this you totally forget this is her first one because she already has the touch. The touch to capture a reader in one form or another. she also reminded me that even in YA you can have a great mystery and she uses the character Jules to ensnare you. She is not left out in the who will make her heart go pitter patter either. From the very beginning when even her own family were comfortable in allowing her a few hours in the shop that other employment when it ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
YA Buddy Readers'...: Holding Court By K.C. Held - Starting May 6th 2016 6 10 May 06, 2016 07:03PM

• Shuffle, Repeat
  • The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily
  • Who's That Girl
  • Dead Beautiful (Dead Beautiful, #1)
  • Bad Taste in Boys (Kate Grable, #1)
  • Matthew (Circle Eight, #1)
  • The Pursuit of Mary Bennet: A Pride & Prejudice Novel
  • How to Ruin a Summer Vacation (How to Ruin, #1)
  • Rusty Puppy
  • Famous in a Small Town
  • Firespell (Dark Elite, #1)
  • The Two-Bear Mambo (Hap and Leonard, #3)
  • Mucho Mojo (Hap and Leonard, #2)
  • Courting Carlyn
  • The Vampire's Cursed Kiss (Shadowvale, #2)
  • The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2)
  • Trouble Makes a Comeback (Trouble, #2)
  • The Reckoning (Darkest Powers, #3)
K.C. HELD is the author of HOLDING COURT. Born and raised in California with stopovers in Honduras, Mexico, and France, she now makes her home in the Pacific Northwest. She holds an MFA in costume design and has worked as a freelance costumer in opera, theater, film, and television. Although she once spent a summer working in a castle, there were no dead bodies involved.
“Why is everyone so eager to assume I'm nuts? Just because I blurt out random bizarre statements and find dead bodies that disappear before anyone else sees them?” 4 likes