Start by marking “A Warm Place to Call Home (a Demon's Story)” as Want to Read:
A Warm Place to Call Home (a Demon's Story)

A Warm Place to Call Home

(A Demon's Story #1)

As far as he call tell, Frederick is a demon. "Born" in Virginia in the early 1980s, he hasn't a clue where he came from or why, but his irresistible desire to occupy a human body seems pretty demony to him. Plus, a number of a-hole priests have tried to exorcise him from some of his favorite bodies. Yeah, it works, but not for the reasons they think. It's just super annoy ...more
Paperback
Published (first published March 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Warm Place to Call Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Warm Place to Call Home

Cari Hislop
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The voice of Frederick sucked me in (no pun intended) and his shenanigans (trials and tribulations mostly self inflicted) just held me like glue. He's selfish and irreverent, but at the same time very likeable. It's an intelligent story with layers. At one point a character points out, "Ethos anthropos daimon...'your character is your daimon' or Character is Fate." This ends up having a double meaning, but this feels like the heart of the story. Frederick's existence is what it is because of who ...more
Pure Textuality
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you’re reading this, you probably already know that I received this book as part of the A Warm Place to Call Home Blog Tour. When organizing this tour, I asked the author what genre his book was and we had a little bit of trouble really nailing that down. It’s like nothing else I have ever read. It doesn’t feel like a traditional paranormal romance but it certainly is, by definition, a paranormal romance. The cover looks like it wants to be a new adult romance but the story has elements that ...more
Karen Laird
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Once again Michael Siemsen has forced his reader to think outside the box and leave the comfort zone of the traditional story line. But this time he is not jumping across time and dancing us through history with wonderful discoveries of archaeological finds while leading us on wild rides through hair raising adventures.
This time Michael has delved into a new genre and dared us to look at who a demon is, in a different light. Just how long can you hold out hating this guy? And just who is he? Is
Lucinda Jester Smith
Where to begin? First I have to let everyone know this is my first Michael Siemsen's book! This story of Frederick *the demon* is not at all what you might think. Frederick is not a fire breathing demon with fangs, he's actually like us in some ways!. I couldn't put the book down once I started it. The book flows from chapter to chapter. The ending is definitely not what I expected but I got it! Michael Siemsen is one of my new favorite authors. Frederick's story was fantastic! Thank you Michael ...more
Kris Pittman
A Warm Place to Call Home by Michael Siemsen
Reviewer – Kris (w/ I Heart Books)
Rating – <3 <3 <3 <3

This was one of those cases where I fell for the author before having read their work. I had liked the author’s page on Facebook for one reason or another and even enjoyed interaction from time to time. When I finally got this opportunity to read his work this weekend, I was pleasantly surprised (and relieved) that I genuinely liked A Warm Place to Call Home.

First, I had to set aside
Karen Cole
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The concept of a malevolent demon didn't exist in human society until relatively recently, when a mistranslation and simplification of two similarly-defined words, angelos and daimones, both messengers from God, forever broke the two into distinct entities - one benevolent, and the other the servant of the recently-established devil. Before that, philosophers and scholars freely discussed the human soul, or daimon, and its ability to continue on, transcending the human body after death."

A few m
Cory Brandley
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting take on the idea of "demon possession". Imagine the ability to take over a person's body and life, then when you get bored you leave for the next one. The downside, when you leave you also erase the mind of person you possess, thus leaving a breathing vegetable. A good story with some twists I didn't expect.
Lyndi
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I'm such a fan of the Dig series (and still anxiously waiting to find out what happens next!) this was totally different from what I expected. But the more I read, the more I got hooked by the characters. Love the twist at the end, it brought a whole new meaning to the story. The only thing is that now he has to write a sequel to give Frederick a happy ending...
Betty Jo Pritchett
I really enjoyed this book. I would have given it 3.5 stars if I could. I still don't know whether I think the main character is an antagonist or protagonist. There is not a clear line of good/evil. It was very real, even though it was a story about a demon. Although the end was very twisty.
Jessica
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! It's hard to not love the main character, Frederick, even though he's a demon lol. Really enjoyed this book all the way through and the ending did not disappoint. Everyone should read this book-maybe Demons should be the new vampires...
Jake
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book I've read in years. Can anyone recommend more unique books like this?
Jenni DaVinCat
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was interesting. It was definitely a different take on the idea of "demon possession". Even then, I don't necessarily feel that it's the right terminology to use. However, in order to understand what I mean by that, you will have to read the book. The explanation and reveal factor for this book is pretty huge. Avoid spoilers at all costs!

This was my first book by this author and I randomly came across it on a GR list. I'm glad I decided to pick it up. Frederick mentions a few times in the
Erin Wolak
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperback

This was actually the fifth book the Book-Curious Bibliophiles (my book club) read for our Tiny Tid-Bit Review section. While this is definitely not something I would normally pick up I'm glad it got chosen so I could expand some of the authors I read! While I didn't love this book it was enjoyable enough for me to finish. I won't lie, the beginning was incredibly difficult for me to get into but once Frederick finally inhabited who would become our main character it started to pick up.
Linda
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fredrick is a body hopping demon and he has decided it is time for him to find a nice body to call home where he can develop a relationship and start a family. What better place to start looking than the memories of where he began?

I was immediately drawn to Fredrick's voice from the very beginning of this story. He was cavalier and had a sarcastic wit about him, but was likeable for a demon. He had some decent qualities, but saw no sense in cultivating them because he was a demon after all. Or a
Dale Ibitz
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I actually fluctuated on this rating, because while interesting and well-written and had a great voice and tone, we have to face facts. Frederick's a dick. Seriously. Must be that ingrained demon essentia or something, but it's kind of hard to emphasize with or like a dick.

Of course, once you read the whole book, then you go, "Oh! I see now!" Yeah, it's that kind of book. You have to read the whole thing to understand Frederick and where he's coming from (or, in this instance, where he "ca
Chris Torretta
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
It is very interesting and quite fun when a story makes you want to cheer for the bad guy. I was cheering for Frederick, however, he makes a lot of dumb choices and it aggravates me! I spent half of the book wondering if I should put it down. Fortunately I did not because it gets GOOD!

Frederick has some issues. Most of them he brings upon himself. I have to say though I do not know what I would do in his place. He thinks he's a demon but really only his actions speak for being a "demon". He trav
Georgianna Price
A Warm Place to Call Home surprised me. This is a story told by a demon named Frederick. He hops bodies and completely takes over his hosts' lives when he does it. When he leaves, the person remains in a persistent vegetative state.

Frederick's motives are questionable at best, especially when he hops into the body of a seemingly simple yet very complicated man simply because he's enamored of the guy's girlfriend. What follows is sometimes funny, often sobering and totally unpredictable.

In retr
Rachel Krogen
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book in exchanged for a honest review.....A Warm Place To Call Home by Michael Siemsen
this was a wonderfully told story..about a demon who has jumped from body to body and causing harm to each person he invades but finds one person to make him pause and wanted to live that life so he took "the jump' into man than lives his life but unforseen stuff happends and you gonna have to read the book to find out ...loved the book you got another FAN on your hands....=)
Abbey
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-mystery
Like most introverts, I enjoy observing the lives and behaviors of other people, jumping in to participate but then withdrawing to the periphery again when interactions become tiring, overwhelming, or just plain too loud.

Frederick is a floating introvert, experiencing the many lives he lives in short stints rather than long stays. What fun, really, if the consequences were not so grim for the humans whose minds he invades.

I'll have more to say after I read the next book in this series.
Kara
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely adored this book and would highly recommend it. Although it starts slowly the witty nature of Frederick and his beautiful linguistic style makes you fall in love with this protagonist (or antagonist if you so decide). As the story unfolds twists and turns come in abundance however, I refuse to elaborate and ruin the story. Just know, if you were to pick up this book, you would not be disappointed.
Sam
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sam by: 18 & older
Different. Odd. Yet, the author creates a character that talks directly to the readers...quite intriguing. At 59% into the book I found myself liking it...again. James shocked me with his ...:& *lips shut*...wow! Read the book. Close to the end, you're like WTfudge!? WOW!! The book ties neatly with the beginning with his host Morgan. This book is filled with vulgarity; indecent, obscene...etc. But I LIKED it!!
Angela
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about a demon. A demon named Frederick. A demon that you will find yourself liking. Yes. I said you would like a demon. It's true. It is a great story and has twists and turns. It's not scary, maybe just a little creepy, and it has a love triangle in it!! Please read this book, even if you haven't read any of Mr. Siemsen's other books. It is much different than the others that he has written anyway. You will definitely thank me after you read it.
Janelle
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Again, Michael Siemsen does not disappoint! I was pulled in on the first page and didn't want to put it down until I was finished. Written from a demon's perspective and this demon has a soul. You find yourself seeing his side of things and thinking about what you would do in his situations. Clever book, loved it!
Kelly Fitzgerald
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting read. The narrator, a "demon" named Frederick, did his best to be unlikeable but ended up being quite interesting. I won't give anything away but I quite enjoyed the premise of this book. The author does an excellent job of seeming random but in the end pulling everything together in a very neat and creative way. I quite enjoyed this.
Ryan
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A unique story about a demon named Fredrick who tells a self reflecting story about a past life and a girl. This demon is kinda loveable in a way and as he tells the story you learn more and more about him. Deeply thought out story and good characters, moving in a way few fiction stories offer.
Dianne
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome story. I couldn't stop reading...finished it in less than a few hours. This story will stay with me for some time...you know...the type of novel that you can't help but think about during your day to day life... and ponder it and savor it again and again. Loved it!!
Jane
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique and entertaining. I read the series backwards, but it doesn't matter. Great books.
Brandon Shire
Deliciously different. Highly recommended.
Venture
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love book & author.
Bill Howard
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding! Anything Michael Siemsen write is worth reading!
  • The Fisherman's Wife: The Gospel According to St. Peter's Spouse
  • Daughter of Light & Dark (Prophecy of Nitesh, #1)
  • Hell's Chimney
  • Ghosts of Demons Past
  • Kissed by Madness
  • Ashes (Arson, # 2)
  • The Reluctant Reaper  (The Reluctant Reaper, #1)
  • Dawn of a Dark Knight (Scimitar Magi, #1)
  • Dark Dawn (Dark Redemption, #1)
  • The Indigo Bunting
  • Draw Me In
  • Dead Like Me
  • The Other Side
  • Altered Selves
  • Angel of Death
  • The Mouse Deer Kingdom
  • Paint Chips
  • Ravenous (Lake City Stories, #0.5)
USA Today and Amazon bestselling author of Exigency (2014), the Matt Turner series (The Dig, 2011; The Opal, 2012; Return, 2015), and the Demon’s Story series (A Warm Place to Call Home, and The Many Lives of Samuel Beauchamp, 2013), Michael Siemsen has sold more than 175,000 books.

Michael grew up in Venice, California, the second son of a Vietnam veteran who was the first son of a Korean War vet

A Demon's Story (2 books)
  • The Many Lives of Samuel Beauchamp (a demon's story)
“After a week passed it had dawned on me what I was and, more importantly, that I needed to do a little more research before climbing into one of you people.” 2 likes
“She spoke throught her teeth. "Almost, dear. What were the real words you used? The bad words. It's okay to say them again, just this once."
I shrugged, "fine. I said'. . . just 'cause Daddy wants you to suck on his ding-a-ling.”
2 likes