Start by marking “Responsible Responsive Design” as Want to Read:
Responsible Responsive Design

Responsible Responsive Design

(A Book Apart #13)

Responsive design has immeasurably improved multi-device, multi-browser visual layout—but it’s only the first step in building responsively. Learn how to turn a critical eye on your designs as you develop for new contexts (what does mobile really mean?) and screen features, speedy and lagging networks, and truly global audiences. Serve the right content across platforms, a ...more
Published November 19th 2014 by A Book Apart

To ask other readers questions about Responsible Responsive Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Responsible Responsive Design

Aaron Chu
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
The much anticipated book is informative, but not exactly insightful. While Jehl is a respected engineer in the field, this book presents itself as a collection of quick tips and tricks that are familiar to the industry's mid-level developers; and perhaps a promotional publication of the Filament Group. The dead horse is yet again beaten by the famous RWD Boston Globe examples and BBC references. While it provides updates of the Web standards, the writing is conceptually dull and conflicting at ...more
Davy
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: design
(3.5) I think the first chapter about Responsible Design was the most pertinent to my needs. A large portion of this book is devoted to implementation and performance, which I wish I would have known before because I could have skimmed through it quicker.

After reading this, I'm going to go back to the original A Book Apart: Responsive Web Design book (that just recently got updated) and try to get as much complementary info as I can. I think the first chapter met my needs, but the latter parts
Bill
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This gem of a book is a sobering reminder that "responsive design" doesn't just mean having your website's layout scale from the small-ish screen of this year's iPhone to the larger screen of this year's Macbook, both running on gigabit WiFi. Your product should embrace the heterogenous nature of the web, where you have no way of knowing your user's screen dimensions, device features, their own physical capabilities, or connection speed. With tons of concrete examples and generous links to furth ...more
Venkatesh-Prasad
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unlike other books about responsive design from A Book Apart, this books goes into details of how to accomplish certain responsive design goals while being responsible about user experience in terms of performance, compatibility, and limiting information. That said, a reader with no or very little web development experience might not fully appreciate the contents of this book. Also, with advances in recent browsers, it is possible that some or many of the strategies laid out in the book may be r ...more
Sercan
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although it is 3 years old, this book still has a lot to offer for programmers. Very well organised and the tools that are introduced in this book are still effective. This point shows the accurate estimation of the author.
Lucas Cherkewski
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid central message, examples (understandably) a little dated but still relevant.
Marcel Kalveram
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Accessibility and performance are often an afterthought when developing websites, unless you're a major e-commerce shop where every additional millisecond in page load time and every lost user result in less conversions.

I've been following the work of Filament Group for some time and was a big fan of their book "Designing with Progressive Enhancement" which I think every web developer should have read, so many of the topics discussed in this book weren't entirely new to me.

I think that many of t
Radimir Bitsov
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Astonishing book about responsive design and definitely one of the best I've ever read on that topic. Highly recommend it as it will lead you through the best practices of delivering the content and the resources for your web pages. All sections present practical advices and already proven solutions. In an addition all reference links used in the book are nicely organized after the final chapter.
Tim Kadlec
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Full review here: http://timkadlec.com/2014/11/book-rev...

The short version is that it's a fantastic book firmly rooted in real-world knowledge. It should be on the shelves of web developers everywhere.
Francesco
Aug 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Pretty technical. A good read but there are a couple parts of the book where it appears that actual content is missing. See pages 40–43 and pages 138–140.

This made some critical parts of this already technical book very hard to follow.
Adam
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really good. Flew through it. I didn't learn much to be honest but it's a really good modern summary & reference for Web performance best practices. Scott threw in a few terrrrrible jokes as well :)
Trevan Hetzel
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THE most relevant book for front-end developers in 2015.
Derek Allard
May 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lots of good advice here. Was expecting a bit more but definitely some good nuggets.
Heather
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An exceptional book that answers a lot of questions I had about responsibly creating responsive websites. I have so much to do and practice now, and I can't wait to get started.
Nick
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Embrace device/browser agnosticism.
Corey Innis
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Scott's book, Responsible Responsive (Web) Design is, simply put, one of the finest writings on Web Design and Development ever authored.
Chelsea
  • Just Enough Research
  • Make It So: Interaction Design Lessons From Science Fiction
  • HTML5 for Web Designers
  • Designing for Emotion
  • Implementing Responsive Design: Building Sites for an Anywhere, Everywhere Web
  • Content Everywhere: Strategy and Structure for Future-Ready Content
  • CSS Secrets: Better Solutions to Everyday Web Design Problems
  • Scalable and Modular Architecture for CSS

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

A Book Apart (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • HTML5 for Web Designers