Start by marking “HOOK (The Untold Stories of Neverland)” as Want to Read:
HOOK (The Untold Stories of Neverland)

HOOK

(The Untold Stories of Neverland Book #1)

Archie Jameson sat in the dark corners of the print shop, dreaming of adventure.
Today, it found him.

Caught in a chilly October storm, he ducked into a tavern, hoping to escape the rain. What he found, was a room teeming with pirates. Shanghaied by the most elderly of the lot, Archie found himself serving on a ship captained by the fiercest pirate ever to sail the seven s
Published January 1st 2015 (first published December 14th 2014)

Stephanie
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Everyone has heard some version of the story of Hook and Peter Pan. So when I read the blurb I was really intrigued. The back story of how Hook became well, Hook was a lot darker than what was portrayed in children's stories and disney movies but for me I loved this version. It showed real life, and how it doesn't always turn out how you hope it will. This wasn't a happy story but one of loss but also love and friendship. I really loved all the characters, main and secondary. The world the autho ...more
Dianne
Was Peter Pan always just a well-meaning lost boy or was he more? Was Captain Hook’s hatred for Peter justified or just the nastiness of a black-hearted pirate? In one of the best tales of how Captain Hook came to be, K.R. Thompson’s Hook tells the tale of a man whose life was destroyed by the callousness of a flying boy. Archie was a dreamer, longing for adventure, but his dreams were cut short when he was kidnapped and consigned to the crew of the feared pirate, Blackbeard. Through fate or she ...more
Claire
What a fantastic take on how Hook came to be. I always fancied Peter to be more dark and devious...and wondered about the seemingly unending feud between Hook and him. This book was again, fantastic, and unraveled a tale that I didn't want to put down, let alone end! (view spoiler)
I can't wait to get my hands on the next book, is it bad that I want Peter to go down? Like, badly.

I
Ginger
Book provided by author for an honest review.

I am a sucker for a good retelling, if said retelling is from the viewpoint of the 'villain' all the better!

The beginning of the book drug a little bit for me. A little bit of world building....'Hook' was one boring individual.

Lets get to the pirates and where the hell is Peter Pan?!

The ball gets rolling and familiar characters are introduced in a different light. I don't want to give anything away but I certainly liked the twist on the old familiar s
J.D. Kaplan
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story. I found not only the characters engaging but also the storyline itself.. This is especially impressive because I knew how it would end--we're all familiar with the Peter Pan story--but I was still captivated. Archie was a wonderful character; well developed and sympathetic. For a while I just couldn't see how he would transform but in the end Ms. Thompson nailed it. I always enjoy stories that take what we already know to be a villain and show how a normal person wou ...more
Sarah Bird
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hook is a Great read!!
I love reading stories that are a spin off what most people consider classic. When I was younger I wondered where Hook and his crew came from, the only adults in all of neverland. . . With the a grand ship and huge grudge. K.R. Thompson gave me an amazing answer to my question. I can not wait to read more of this series!!!
Kathy Wideman
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairytale
This is the story of how Captain Hook came to be. Captain Hook’s real name is Archie Jameson. He had inherited a business from her father. He didn’t really like it but bills needed to be paid and he needed to eat. He was on his way home one day and popped into a pub to avoid the coming storm. That once choice changed that rest of his life. The men in the pub drugged him and took him aboard their ship per the captain’s orders just because he could read. The captain of the ship was none other than ...more
Carmen
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received this book from the author through LoP in exchange for an honest review.

Hook is a Peter Pan prequel, which reveals the origins of Hook and his feud with Peter. It was very interesting to read an origins tale from a different perspective. Hook begins his pirate life as Archibald Jameson. The pirate life takes hold during a time when he is unhappy with the shape his life has taken. While he is unhappy at first, he quickly grows into his new role and finds that he likes it much better tha
Tracy Ehlers
A Fascinating story, and in no way your classic 'Peter Pan' fairy tale! Ms Thompson writes an amazing world filled with all the things we didn't know about Cap'n Hook... who he was and how he became captain of the Jolig Roger. The wonderful characters he meets,(old and new alike) the adventures he takes and along with a few unexpected twists we find out how he became, Hook!

The authors attention to details, and vivid descriptions, made this story come alive. A fantasy adventure, that really had
M.C.
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a cover! Can't wait to read this Captain Hook tale, it sounds full of swashbuckling adventure... delicious!
Nicole
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, at-home
Honestly, I didn't expect much from the book. But it is one of the best I have ever read! Definitely a trip to Neverland every Peter Pan fan should read!
Although I had a hard time accepting Archiebald as Hooks first name.
Patricia Kaniasty
This is what I call a great book. Interesting retelling. Makes you hate Peter Pan and side with Captain Hook. Too bad for Tiger Lily. Must read for fans of retellings and or Peter Pan.
Theresa Needham fehse
Free book for honest review. juliesbookreview.blogspot.com

KR Thompson takes the classic story of Peter Pan and Captain Hook and puts a
unique, creative spin to this well-known story.

In HOOK, Archibald Jameson eagerly leaves his boring print job to head home.
An impending storm causes Archie to alter his usual route as he seeks shelter in a
tavern.

As a young man named Harper stumbles to read a letter, Archibald has mercy and
whispers the information to him. The next thing he knows, he wakes up o
Nikita (NjKinny's World of Books & Stuff)
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Nikita by: KR Thompson

When I heard about "Hook" I was intrigued. You see, I am not a big fan of pirates and didnt quite like Captain Hook in the movies so when I heard that this book told the story of how a normal boy later became Captain Hook, I thought maybe reading the book would make me understand and like this character better. So I did just that and I am happy to say that now I like Hook better and understand his actions more.

The cover of "Hook" is beautiful and it made m
Maureen
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw the cover of ‘Hook’ I was immediately fascinated about this book. I’m a huge pirate, Disney, fairy tales fan so when I read about the upcoming book tour for ‘Hook’ I immediately signed up. I loved the cover and I couldn’t wait to start reading. My expectations where really high because I just love stories about captain Hook and Peter Pan. So as soon as possible, I started reading.

The thing about ‘Hook’ is, that it’s a difficult story to write. The characters in ‘Hook’ are alrea
Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Once Upon A Time Fans
There is just something so comforting about reading a re imagined story. You are already familiar with the world, the characters and most of the time, the basic plot. And while all of this is true of HOOK, what really made this work so well, were the changes made to the original lore of the story.

I am no stranger to Hook being the hero and Peter Pan being a callous, manipulative asshole, as I am an avid watcher of Once Upon A Time and they have also twisted the lore of the original story in thi
Trae Stratton
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“Archie looked back at the island−a mysterious place inhabited by a strange, flying boy and pixies. While part of him wished to find an island with a port, a greater part wondered what other mysteries lay hidden, waiting to be discovered there.”

If you love fantasy or high seas adventure you’re sure to enjoy this fresh spin on the classic fairy tale by J.M. Barrie. For years you have heard testimony from Peter, the Darlings and the Lost Boys on behalf of the prosecution. Now, at long last, you wi
Karlee
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! It's really true when they say all villains become villains somehow. I loved how this story was the beginning of how Captain Hook came about. Archie Jameson is truly a decent guy that happened to take cover in the wrong tavern. With that his life was changed forever. Though when he became captain, he was still a decent guy. He earned the respect of his crew and fell in love with an Indian. I like how this author makes Peter Pan out to be the villain. I don't know if any of you w ...more
Anna
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2r
***I was given this book in exchange for an honest review, Lovers of Paranormal.***

I have mixed feelings about this book because as with all childhood tales, I like the original, so seeing the other side of the pendulum like Captain Hook's story, always make me uneasy. This rendition was great, I was really interested throughout the whole book and enjoyed Archie as a character.

I didn't like the portrayal of Peter, but that is just my biased opinion. I loved the pirates characters and I loved Tig
TaschaBear
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly was SHOCKED by the last 4 chapters! WOW! I never saw it coming. The story was beautifully told and captures the darkness that is behind the tale of Pan. BEST READ BY A LOCAL AUTHOR YET!
Sally
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A

Brilliant reimagining of the original tale. This book sparkles. K.R. Thompson earns her stars. I highly recommend this one. Pick up a copy today!
Zach Cooley
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Author K.R. Thompson, known to me as Kim, has been a rising local literary star since the release of her mystical Keeper Saga, based on her native Bland County’s Wolf Creek Indian Village saw the public light of day three years ago. After two successful installments and a brief prequel, Kim has taken a break from wolves and magic to take on her bravest serial effort as a writer to date. As a result, the local author has produced a masterpiece that is very likely to gain her national attention a ...more
Colin
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun quick read

I got this book on sale and really liked the premise of learning about how other characters in the Peter pan story came to be. Some liberties were taken and i didn't like how some aspects of it was portrayed, but the book was well written and kept me engaged. I may even consider reading the next one in the series. For a couple hour read, it was a good book. Not one that I'll return to, but enjoyable enough.
Mikayla Swan
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and different

If you want a refreshing new take on the pirate in never land, Hook is for you. This story take elements from the original story of Peter Pan with the twist and perspective of Hook and a few crewman. The adventure is still to continue with a second story that I will read and add to ever growing reading list!
Katherine
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairytale like no other

I enjoyed the back story of Captain Hook. I cannot wait to read all the books in this series, and hope she does other back stories! The author was perfect with descriptions, and I never felt she was too wordy.
Kelly M
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun and fresh Hook adventure! Loved it!
Kelli
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic twist on a childhood favorite. It was page turning and heartbreaking.

BoozyBookworm
Slow going at first

The book was slow going at first but otherwise a very enjoyable read. It was an excellent the on the tale of Pan and Hook.
Belinda
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good book is never long enough.
Lost
This was such a good retelling. Peter Pan is one of my all-time favourite books, in case you hadn’t noticed, and Hook does a brilliant job of bringing one of the most notorious villains in literature to life.

The story behind why Hook is…Hook, is well plotted and the reader experiences first-hand how he descends into his villainous form, from proper gentleman to dastardly pirate.

One of my favourite things is reading the villain’s side of the story, and seeing why they think that they are right –
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Lovers of Paranor...: R2R {647} Hook: The Untold Stories of Neverland CLOSED 29 158 Nov 06, 2018 09:13AM
Great Read!!!!! 2 7 Jan 29, 2015 08:00PM

• Grounded: The Untold Story of Peter Pan & Captain Hook
  • Never
  • Hooked
  • Silk
  • Faith In Every Footstep
  • Never Say Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas, #4)
  • Hook & Jill (Hook and Jill Saga, #1)
  • Last Vacation
  • Bootie and the Beast
  • The Girl He Left Behind
  • Call to Engage (Team Poseidon #2)
  • Delayed Death (Temptation in Florence #1)
  • Hearts and Kisses: 12 Contemporary Valentine Novels and Novellas Boxed Set
  • Maya in search of Tantric Father
  • The Empyrean Key (Ardentia, #1)
  • More Than Magic (Books of the Kindling, #1)
  • Nina (Beach Brides #3)
  • Meg (Beach Brides #1)
K.R. Thompson was raised in the mountains of rural Virginia. She resides in Bland County with her husband, son, two cats and an undeterminable amount of chickens. She is an avid reader, firm believer of magic, and still watches for evidence of Bigfoot in the mud of Wolf Creek. She can be found on her website-- http://authorkrthompson.wix.com/theke...

The Untold Stories of Neverland Book (4 books)
  • Pan (The Untold Stories of Neverland, #2)
  • Nerida (The Untold Stories of Neverland, #3)
  • Jack (The Untold Stories of Neverland, #4)