Start by marking “Strangers” as Want to Read:
Strangers

Strangers

A dark and dirty horror novel from David Moody, author of HATER and AUTUMN

Published December 1st 2014 by David Moody

To ask other readers questions about Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strangers

Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
Strangers is a fantastic story that demonstrates David Moody's strongest skill, he is a master of describing human interaction and creating people who are real, and familiar.

I initially read a blurb for the book on his site a couple of months back, and I thought WTF? It was so completely shocking and not what I expected. I had to know more.

Strangers is the story of Scott and his family, his wife Michelle, her two daughters from a previous marriage and his son with Michelle, George. They have mov
Gatorman
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyable tale from Moody about the strange goings on in a small, rundown town newly inhabited by a family looking for a fresh start. A series of gruesome murders has everyone on guard and making everyone look suspicious. Not a whole lot new here but done well by Moody's crisp writing and sharp eye for detail. The story kept me interested throughout despite the lack of originality. The wife and mother of the family could be rather annoying at times but the other characters make up for her. Not m ...more
Albert Yates
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, favourite
A troubled family moves to a small town in northern Scotland when the murders start happening.

What could be a better plot than that?

Part horror and part mystery, you'll be guessing as to the cause of the trouble the whole way through the book, and you'll likely be wrong most of the time. And that's ok. That's what makes it such a great read.
Martin
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An author who resides as one of my all-time favourites and one who has consistently delivered when it comes to post-apocalyptic horror, I was somewhat apprehensive but excited to hear that Moody was releasing a story which contained neither zombies or the end of the world as we know it.

A compelling story following the relocation of a family, moving from their home in Redditch to Thussock. Thussock is a deprived town in the middle of nowhere, a town that time seems to have forgotten. Located in a
Lorna
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Gripping story throughout

I pre ordered the signed paperback so I received the ebook early, the paperback just arrived this morning which is what prompted me to write this review.

This is the first book that I have actually read straight through in years. It is set in a fictional Scottish town that is grim enough to cause nightmares without all the inexplicable deaths. The main characters, the Griffiths family, have uprooted themselves from Redditch to Thussock, in the hope of rebooting their live
David
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
David Moody proves that he can take a simple premise, a family moving and setting up house elsewhere, and twist it into something deeper, richer and ultimately very horrifying. Through vibrant characterization, tight plotting, and crisp dialogue he really makes the family at the heart of this story come alive and resonate.

It's a terrific read, as are all of his books, so enjoy this one, and then go tell your family that you love 'em.
The Grim Reader
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Top draw Moody

The horror in this novel really lies in the disintegration of the family. The town of Thussock is a perfect setting for a dark and scary tale. Great characters as usual from Moody really help the story come to life. Excellent.
Wendy
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This novel reminded me of reading a Bentley Little book. Very similar. I enjoyed it, some very graphic parts.
Michelle
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great story by Moody. Starting to wonder where this writer has been all my life, lol.
This book is a mix of drama and sci-fi/horror. It follows the life of a blended family that just moved to a new, small town, in the middle of nowhere to get a fresh start. They seem like a typical family but we soon come to see that their life and situation is a story in itself, lots of drama regarding their past and current lives. Then you have the addition of brutal murders happening in their new town, that
Jeremy S
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Absolutely loved this story. I burned through it so fast but only because it was just that good.

I was worried for a brief moment about reading a Moody story that wasn't post-apocalyptic or zombie related, but man did he do this justice.

It was horror, it was thriller, it was sci-fi and when I finished it all I could think was "what the hell just happened?!" In the best possible way.
Dean
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Boy, I had hopes for this one (I'm a big fan of his Hater series).

Think "The Thing" filtered through a cross between James Herbert and Ray Garton. It started strong, and then....and then....it just dragged for 200 pages. I was hoping for a payoff (or something) at the end, but no such luck. Smells like a short story or novella padded out to novel length. Oh well.
Kay Smillie
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable horror story from David Moody. I do prefer the Hater series and the Autumn series. Actually I have also loved the standalone novels Trust and Straight To You. The comparisons to James Herbert are deserved, but with more venom and action. Yes, I do like David's books very much indeed.

Ray Smillie
Adam Baxter
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A family move to the remote town of Thussock. A string of dead bodies cases suspicion to fall on Scott, the father. He is a man with a dark history and a violent temper, while his family are just trying to make the most of a bad situation. Events unravel quickly as the bodies pile up, but there is more to it than just a serial killer. A superb tale of desolation and survival.
Charl
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: y2017
Moody's becoming a favorite author for me. Loved the Autumn books, and now this, a bit outside my usual preferences, but good enough to keep me reading. Well done!
Ashley O'neill
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Janette Fleming
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A dark and dirty horror novel from David Moody, author of HATER and AUTUMN

A spate of brutal murders occur in and around the small town of Thussock. The bodies of the dead – savagely mutilated, unspeakably defiled – are piling up with terrifying speed. There are no apparent motives and no obvious connections between the victims, but the killings only began when Scott Griffiths and his family arrived in Thussock...

Dark and dirty definitely!! Super fast read with a great setting, excellent charac
Carol
Oct 06, 2015 added it
Dead bodies, badly mutilated are turning up in the small Scottish town of Thussock. The bodies are bothe male and female with no apparent motives or connections. However, the killings only started when Scott Griffiths and his family moved to town, is this a coincendence?

Anoother brilliant book from a master of the horrow genre.
Marjorie Pezzeca
Feb 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointed

I have read the hater and Autumn series and loved them. This was a long drawn out domestic violence story with a science fiction side story. There are pages of arguments between the main characters that made me want to put the book down. The real story did surface until 70% in to the book. Skip this one.
Marcus Blakeston
Dec 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This one's a bit different to his usual end of the world stuff, it's more of a murder mystery with a bit of weirdness thrown in. It deserves a wider audience than it will probably get from the straight horror crowd, but people who've read his other stuff should like it too as long as they don't expect lots of mayhem.

Caitlin
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Caitlin by: Adam Pope
Great book as always. Felt like roller coaster. Built up and then all hell breaks loose. That's all I say; a definite read.
Katy
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Definitely a page turner. No spoilers here, just give it a go
Lucy
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Great writing. Very dark.
Teresa Dowson
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Dark and dirty" it certainly is!! Not to be read if squeamish! Some of the scene were like watching a car crash in slow motion; you don't want to look but you just have to!
Cara
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Great until the huge plot twist of the (view spoiler)
Dianne
Mar 11, 2015 rated it liked it
It references the exact horror movies that I felt it copied. Too little happens for there to be any payoff--it works better as a movie, believe it or not.
Fiona Anderson
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Impact (Outpost #3)
  • Deadfall Hotel
  • City of the Lost
  • Escape (Invasion of the Dead #3)
  • In the Devil's Dreams
  • Last Stand of the Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #6)
  • Dead Rage
  • Just One Week
  • Dark Detectives: An Anthology of Supernatural Mysteries
  • The Guernseyman (Richard Delancey Novels, #1)
  • Remains of the Dead (Domain of the Dead #2)
  • Eskkar & Trella - The Beginning
  • The Dead Won't Die (Deadlands, #2)
  • Merde in Europe
  • The Last Days of Detroit: The Life and Death of an American Giant
  • Psychoville
  • Screaming Eagles (The Front, #1)
  • The Standoff
A pioneer of independent publishing, DAVID MOODY first released HATER in 2006, and without an agent, succeeded in selling the film rights for the novel to Mark Johnson (producer, Breaking Bad) and Guillermo Del Toro (director, The Shape of Water, Pan's Labyrinth). Moody's seminal zombie novel AUTUMN was made into an (admittedly terrible) movie starring Dexter Fletcher and David Carradine. He has a ...more