Start by marking “I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, & Doggone It, People Like Me!” as Want to Read:
I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, & Doggone It, People Like Me!

I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, & Doggone It, People Like Me!

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  339 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
The ultimate meditation book, not to be grandiose...

Take a hilarious, healing journey with Stuart Smalley as he careens down the road to Recovery.  For one entire year Stuart recorded an affirmation a day...except when he had taken to his bed (but that's Okay)...and the result is the most entertaining and indispensable meditation book ever.

From program wisdom (Denial Ain't
Published October 1st 1992 by Dell

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, & Doggone It, People Like Me!

DavidO
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-or-5-stars
I really liked this book, and I'll try to explain why. When I started reading it, I expected it to be just endless jokes. But it really wasn't. In fact there are only about two or three real jokes in here. What it actually is is Stuart Smalley writing a years worth of daily affirmations. Unfortunately he isn't very good at writing and it quickly devolves into a diary. Strangely, though, the diary is fascinating. His family, his editor, his friends are all so real, that it feels like a real diary ...more
Bryan
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
Al Franken does it again. Here, Franken revises his role as Stuart Smalley, the self-help guru from his SNL days. Stuart Smalley documents each day as he tries to beat his insecurities, his inner demons, and his abusive relationships. His musings would appear moronic to any actual therapist, but are so funny that they will make you forget your own insecurities and inner demons, or at least deem them as not nearly as bad as they once were.
Mary
Nov 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book gives me even more reason to love my new senator. It's funny, of course, but also touching. I think this and the movie work much better than the sketch on SNL. You laugh at Stuart, but also see yourself in him.
Paula
Apr 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Eh, it was okay. I really liked this SNL sketch, so I guess my expectations were higher. Not as funny as I thought it would be yet, oddly enough, it made me feel much, much better about myself which, if you think about it, is supposed to be the purpose of a "real" self-help book. And, surprisingly, the ending was sort of happy after all. Probably not one I'll read again (it felt like it dragged on and on at times), but it's not the worst thing I've ever read.
Joanne
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Purchased at Boder's off the sale rack for $1.99. Looked interesting & enlightening.

Sometimes Stuart’s “stinking thinking”, dysfunctional life, and multiple 12 step program got to me. Although I do think his year ended on an upbeat note! There were some funny parts and mottos that Stuart coined, but overall I had to push myself to finish the book. Wirtten in a daily diary format, it is easy to read a few pages when you have a short timeframe.

Ellen
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book is very similar to the movie "Stuart saves his Family". I saw the movie a long time ago. In a way, the movie was better.
You can't help but feel sorry for Stuart. He has to overcome so much when dealing with his dysfunctional family. Fortunately, he does have quite of bit of success for having low self esteem that does help even things out for him. A funny read for anyone who ever had to deal with any family issues.
Jonah
Dec 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
One of my students gave this to me to read right after we got done reading both The Alchemist and Tuesdays with Morrie as a class, so this parody of self-help books was especially entertaining! Although it is technically a "daily affirmation" book, the narrator (Stuart Smalley) goes into so much detail that it kind of ends up telling a complete story and therefore reads like a novel. Good, mindless reading that got many a laugh out of me!
Tori
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved Stuart on SNL, and love his movie Stuart Saves His Family, have it on DVD, so knew I wanted to read this book.
Loved it. Certain parts made me think of the movie which made me smile.
This was not available on Kindle, so had to reads the paperback, which is rough cause I need reading glasses and a bright light, but it moved along and it was finished.
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this: “…I have to remember that I am a valuable employee! I should be, I’m a codependent! I think I’ll put that on my resume. ‘Codependent – 1951 to present.’ Will work too hard, be over responsible, and you can pay me nothing. I’ll resent you for it. But that’s okay. I’ll be too scared to say anything.”
jacky
Feb 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
I was just waking up and suddenly remembered reading this book like ten years ago. I remember it was written like a journal and was kind of funny. The story was based on the SNL character. It is possible that some of the humor went over my head.
Amber
May 04, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007
I have seen the movie but hadn't read the book. It was cute, a little over the top (of course) but funny. Also sad. It may or may not have affected my speech patterns for a few days, but that's ok, because I own it.
Nancy
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2011
A friend and I were joking about Stuart Smalley's Daily Affirmations, so it occurred to me to look for this on audible. I enjoyed it, but then I've always enjoyed every single thing Al Franken has ever done.
Leslie
Aug 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 12-steppers
Shelves: humor, self-help
I always loved this character on SNL. I love how Stuart constantly repeats little phrases that you hear in AA and other 12-step programs. They sound so corny, and Stuart is so sincere when he says them. I laughed very hard several times.
Cindy
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book made me laugh so hard so many times.

It's a touching journal of sorts of a year in the life of Stuart Smalley, Al Franken's well-meaning but unfortunate character from Saturday Night Live. Poor Stuart, lucky us.
Rivkah
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
I read this because my sister bought it for me for $2 on clearance. It is rather entertaining...a great bathroom read.
Heidi Larew
Dec 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book did not require me to think at all. It was the perfect treat for this time in my life. Not for everybody, but there were parts of it that caught me off guard and really made me laugh.
Nada
May 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dropped
I got this book because one of my professors mentioned it in a lecture but I barely read half the book! It is really a waste of time and money.
Lynda
Aug 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Really hilarious. When I read this, I was heavily involved in the recovery movement. I did and still do daily readings. This book poked fun at all that without being mean or degrading.
Alex
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Hilarious short book. It makes fun of all of those meditation books. I have it as an audiobook which just adds a whole new layer of comedy. Wonderful!
Jim Bosworth
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Funny and useful too.
Amy
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious, I love to re-read it.
Carol
Mar 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Al Franken cracks me up. A self-help book by the one character who should not be trying to help anybody!
Patrick
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Mildly entertaining parody of guided meditation.
Marla
Jul 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Love it! I loved Stuart Smalley on Saturday Night Live. I've read it a few times and I think it's time to read it once more.
Jessica
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
If you're a fan of Stuart Smalley then you will enjoy this book.
Ann Brooks
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Gifted to me way back when by my now Republican-but-coming-back-somewhat-to-the-center brother.
Wolfrom
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So fantastic! Stuart is my hero...
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I wasn't actually a fan of Franken's character on SNL, but I find his writing amusing. This is a little too much in character, it got old quick.
Danae
Sep 05, 2016 added it
Absolutely hilarious
Kimberlyluisi
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I've never enjoyed the drawn-out nature of SNL sketches so I'm sure why I keep reading entire books based on them.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • If You Leave Me, Can I Come Too?
  • How to Talk Minnesotan: A Visitor's Guide
  • What I Wish My Christian Friends Knew about Judaism
  • Will They Ever Trust Us Again?
  • Nigella Lawson: A Biography
  • The Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Life
  • Weird Al: The Book
  • What are You Doing Here?: A Black Woman's Life and Liberation in Heavy Metal
  • Far and Away: A Prize Every Time
Alan Stuart "Al" Franken is an Emmy Award–winning American comedian, writer, progressive political commentator, and, recently, politician. He gained fame as a writer and a performer for Saturday Night Live, eventually writing and appearing in several films. Since then, Franken has become more known for his political commentary, writing numerous bestselling books and hosting a nationally-syndicated ...more
More about Al Franken

• Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Ilsa: A Novel
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Yellow Star
  • Miramont's Ghost
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Requiem for a Dream: A Novel
  • I Don't Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Reddy, Working Mother
  • The Eagle Tree
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
  • The Things That Keep Us Here
  • Halsey Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Woodlands (Glenbrooke, #7)
  • The Knockoff