Start by marking “Matt's Story (The Night We Said Yes, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Matt's Story (The Night We Said Yes, #0.5)

Matt's Story

(The Night We Said Yes #0.5)

We've seen Ella's story in The Night We Said Yes, but now we'll hear Matt's tale in this e-original novella from Lauren Gibaldi.

Seventeen-year-old Matt had the perfect life in Orlando. He met the girl of his dreams, rocked out on bass in an awesome band, and partied with the best group of friends he could ask for. But then his family gets a call and he has to move back to
Published August 4th 2015 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Matt's Story, please sign up.
Lauren I'd say read THE NIGHT WE SAID YES first. It's a full book. MATT'S STORY takes place in the middle (sort of) of the first book, and is just a novella.…moreI'd say read THE NIGHT WE SAID YES first. It's a full book. MATT'S STORY takes place in the middle (sort of) of the first book, and is just a novella. It reads fine on its own, but it makes more sense if you've read the book first. :) (less)

Start your review of Matt's Story (The Night We Said Yes, #0.5)
♡Ann  Matalines♡
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it

My instincts tells me that the next story will end up tragically.
Stacee
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Love love loved this. I'm so happy we got a glimpse into his head and how things were happening for him. Especially loved Cindy and Kat.
Lisa
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This novella was so perfect. It had everything I didn't know I needed and I am beyond glad it exist! If you've read (and loved) THE NIGHT WE SAID YES, I really, really recommend you pick up MATT'S STORY! If you haven't read TNWSY, what are you doing? Get on that!
Read InAGarden
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Matt's Story really helps to fill in the blanks in The Night We Said Yes. It's a perfect example of a book that is needed to help you really understand the actions of the characters in the first book - very reminiscent of what readers found out when they read Veronica Roth's Four. In Matt's Story, readers find out what happened to Matt in the year in between the breakup with El and the re-connection with El. They will root even more for El to give Matt that second chance and want to learn more a ...more
Mary McFarlane
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
I always love reading the other side of stories and was glad to see that Matt got to work on things
Allison
Jun 09, 2016 rated it liked it
A cute read, but not really necessary at all... Don't really feel like I learned anything important about Matt's character from this.
Lynn
This short story/novella fills in a little bit about Matt and where his mind was during the 6 months he and Ella were apart. Not a stand alone but good at giving us a little perspective into Matt.
Victoria
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 stars.

This is the prequel to the first book and I pretty much only read it because of that. I wasn't really all that crazy about the first book but I wanted to see if this would change my mind about the main reason I didn't like it.

Welp, it didn't. It really only made me dislike the first book more.

(view spoiler)
Gabriella
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lauren Gibaldi has done it again! For those of you who don't know, Matt's Story is the novella that goes with The Night We Said Yes. Matt's Story follows Matt during his time away living in Texas. In these short 63 pages we get inside Matt's head and see why he decided to keep to himself so much. New friendships are made and some old ones are mended. I'd say this novella is all about growth and how sometimes it's better to let people in and let them help you even when you don't want to. Lauren d ...more
Erin Mendoza
Aug 29, 2015 rated it liked it
If you read The Night We Said Yes, then this is a worthwhile addition. Matt's rationale for the way he was while leaving was always stupid to me but this made me like him a little more.
Kat and Cindy are awesome. I'd read a book about them :)
Ciara (Lost at Midnight)
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-books
3.5 stars for sure. A short little glimpse into Matt's head that I really enjoyed. Makes me want to reread TNWSY soooo much.
Marla Mei
Matt's pity party and woe-is-meing was agonizing to read. Argh. Why so emo? All he thinks about is me me me me me. UGH.
Lauren R.
Good addition to the original story! Kat and Cindy were weird at first but they grew on me. It was nice getting inside Matt's head a little bit more but I'm still not sold on his excuses.
Aisha (seetheworldwithbooks)
So glad to read Matt's side of the story. Well, i probably will have a good night sleep since everything is clear now :)
jasmine
May 07, 2015 marked it as august-reading
Shelves: cover-crush, gimme
IT'S SO CLOSE NOW I CANNOT KEEP WAITING
Cassie
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I need more Matt!!! Loved hearing his side of the story.
Teresa Barrera
"The Night We Said Yes" was from Ella's POV, but this is Matt's POV of the time he was away in Texas. If you haven't read the first book, I'd suggest doing so in order to understand this one.
I was glad to see his side and what happened with him while he was away, it gave me more of a feel for his character and better understanding. I do wish this had been added to the book at the end as a bonus physical read.
Grendaycita Segovia
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Corta y linda. Vemos el PV del posible Prota del siguiente libro y sus motivos porque decidió irse sin decir nada.
Acompañado de Cindy & Kat y sus actitudes burbujeantes, le dan un toque divertido a la narración y la vida de Matt.

evelxn
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
La true, me gustó mucho mas esta novela corta que la principal. Me hizo querer y saber un poco mas a Matty Matt Matt. Super tierna y reconfortante.
Jenn
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Nice to get the back story for the book. The fact this took me so long to read is why I don’t read e-books. We just don’t work.
Arwela
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
J'ai bien aimé avoir le vécu de Matt après son départ d'Oregon. J'aurai bien aimé avoir son point de vue sur ses retrouvailles avec Ella (pousser un peu plus loin la nouvelle).
Kay
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love getting to know his POV!
Marija
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary, ya-mg
While a reader might select this story after reading The Night We Said Yes with the expectation of obtaining further insights into Matt’s character, the revelations provided are somewhat muted. When reading The Night We Said Yes, Matt seems a rather aloof and distant character. Through his interactions with Ella, it is apparent that he has difficulty in communicating his thoughts and feelings. “Matt’s Story” shows the reader the depth of this awkward aloofness. Again the author plays with the id ...more
Grace
3 stars

This is a companion novella based on The Night We Said Yes, told in Matt’s POV and covers the events after he abandons his girlfriend and best friends in Orlando to move to Houston. Nothing too compelling happens that we don’t already know about, but it delves into how he comes to terms with his situation at home, his friendship with Cindy and Kat, and what eventually leads him to return to Orlando to reunite with his friends.
Katie
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: glbtq, ya
I enjoyed reading this story from another perspective. It was nice to see what prompted Matt's decisions, but I felt like it was mostly confirmation of what I'd already surmised from reading the original story. Worth reading if you love the characters and enjoy a series, but the plot isn't really furthered by the novella.
Samantha
Okay.

This wasn't really what I was expected ing but it was still nice. I was expecting more about him and Ella. But it was still good to hear about his time away. I wish the original book actually was written from his and Ella's point of view but I liked hearing something from Matt.
Jessica
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it
This is just a quick little novella that gives you an insight to Matt's side of the story. (This is a side story from the book The night we said yes.) I really liked seeing where he was coming from. I wish it would have given a bit more but this was nice to read.
Karina
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: single-books
Easy read, you could finish in 2 hours or so easily but I just didn't have the time to. Doesn't spoil the book but of course my recommendation is to read after. I liked seeing his perspective. As far as novellas go: A.
April
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

Really loved this book. It was interesting to see what Matt went through when he left Orlando because I wondered about his story all the while reading the night we said yes.
Tina
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• 99 Days
  • Divergent Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • Beastly: Lindy's Diary (Beastly, #1.5; Kendra Chronicles, #1.5)
  • Jesse's Girl (Hundred Oaks)
  • The Avery Shaw Experiment (Science Squad, #1)
  • Never Always Sometimes
  • Surviving Adam Meade
  • Like Never Before (Walker Family, #2)
  • Three Little Words (Walker Family, #0.5)
  • From the Start (Walker Family, #1)
  • The Libby Garrett Intervention (Science Squad, #2)
  • Keep Holding On (Walker Family, #3)
  • First Date
  • Unmaking Hunter Kennedy
  • Dawn of the Dreadfuls (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, #0.5)
  • The End of the Affair
  • Destination Unknown (Roadside Assistance #2)
  • I Temporarily Do
Public librarian and author of THE NIGHT WE SAID YES, MATT'S STORY (a Night We Said Yes novella), AUTOFOCUS, and THIS TINY PERFECT WORLD, all with HarperTeen / HarperCollins. Fan of dinosaurs and cheesy jokes. And you.

The Night We Said Yes (2 books)
  • The Night We Said Yes (The Night We Said Yes, #1)