Start by marking “The Last Treasure Hunt” as Want to Read:
The Last Treasure Hunt

The Last Treasure Hunt

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  38 ratings  ·  11 reviews
At the age of thirty, Campbell Johnstone is a failure. He's stuck behind the bar of a shabby pub, watching from the sidelines while everyone else makes a success of their lives. The most visible is Eve Sadler, a childhood friend and rising Hollywood star. When Campbell tries to rekindle their relationship, he longs for the glitter of her success to rub off on him but a sin ...more
Published March 26th 2015 by Saraband

To ask other readers questions about The Last Treasure Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Treasure Hunt

Jackie Law
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Last Treasure Hunt, by Jane Alexander, explores the lure of fame and the capricious nature of celebrity. It lays bare the personal cost, and the impact on family and friends, when one man succumbs to the draw and deceits of a publicity dependent lifestyle.

Thirty year old Campbell Johnstone works as a barman in a rundown Glasgow pub. He shares a decrepit flat, owned by his financially successful brother, with his cousin Roddy who is studying for a PhD. When Roddy is offered a paid fellowship
M.
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read! If I had any rhyming ability I would put in a couplet or two. Alas, I'll leave that to Jane Alexander! It starts off and surprises you as quickly as you can turn a page. The main character has the qualities of someone you love to hate and often makes you shake your head at what he thinks is a good idea. You know he's heading for disaster more than he does.

Alexander's writing is modern and fresh. Although, I wish the ending had been a bit more satisfying.
Ian
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
An engaging story about childhood romances rekindled takes a dark twist and sets out on a journey taking in the beast of the modern media and our own ability to ignore our own worst nature. A thoroughly enjoyable debut novel - highly recommended and left me with lots of questions and a hunger for more from this writer.
Rachel Page
This book was less predictable than I expected. One of the early reveals was instantly obvious and I was worried that it was going to be the climax of the book, when I had worked it out instantly. But it carried on in a direction I wasn't expecting.

The main character is thoroughly unlikeable, but all in all I enjoyed the book.
Elaina
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was lucky enough to to win a copy as a Goodreads giveaway. As soon as I started reading it I was gripped. The writing flows so well, it's easy to get absorbed into Campbell's story.

The story itself wasn't at all as I expected I'd certainly read more from this author.
Russell Jones
A modern moral fable with - I think - a believable main character who evoked sympathy and revulsion. If you're a reader who enjoys a riproaring plot then this might be a bit of a slow burner for you, but if you prefer books which challenge your judgement, this could be right up your proverbial alley!
Raluca
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Solid move from short stories to novels, I'd say. Enjoyed the plot and characters, everything felt so real at times it was really unsettling. But did I believe (in) Campbell? The truth is I'm not sure. But I guess life is like that, you can't really be sure of anything. So, in a way, I did.
Steve Gillway
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feel-bad, faction, modern
A clever analysis of modern celebrity. The main character is enticed into the media world and then exploited by agents and such like in such a way that the person is essentially milked. A fable for the modern age.
Niall Macdougall
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well written Scottish novel. I didn't really know what to expect when I picked up this book and ultimately that was for the best
Dave P
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Well written, but unfortunately a lead character this thoroughly unpleasant made it hard to like this book.
JC2
Julie
Apr 25, 2018
Kate
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Full of unexpected twists that keep you gripped until the very end.
Robert A L Farrar
Emma Green
Sep 07, 2015
Kirsty Domakin
Sep 02, 2015
Jane Alexander’s short stories and creative non-fiction have been widely published in a number of anthologies and literary magazines, including Mslexia, Litro and The Orphan Leaf Review. A winner of two major national story competitions, and the recipient of a Scottish Arts Council New Writers bursary, Jane is also a lecturer in creative writing at the Open University.