Start by marking “The Dreamsnatcher (Dreamsnatcher #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dreamsnatcher (Dreamsnatcher #1)

The Dreamsnatcher

(Dreamsnatcher #1)

Twelve-year-old Molly Pecksniff wakes one night in the middle of the forest, lured there by a recurring nightmare - the one with the drums and the rattles and the masks. The Dreamsnatcher is waiting. He has already taken her dreams and now he wants her life.

Because Moll is more important than she knows… The Oracle Bones foretold that she and Gryff, a wildcat that has alwa
Published February 26th 2015 by Simon & Schuster Children's

To ask other readers questions about The Dreamsnatcher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dreamsnatcher

Rebecca McNutt
Eerily haunting yet strikingly fantastic and magical as well, The Dreamsnatcher is an excellent and original novel with a lot of imagination behind it.
Emma Carroll
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a debut! 'The Dreamsnatcher' is so fast paced it left me breathless!
The story follows feisty young Moll and her wildcat Gryff on their quest to destroy the magic of the Soul Splinter, which has already claimed the lives of Moll's parents. The world-building is superb: we have a gypsy camp, tree spirits, old woodlands and heath, magic systems, talismans, all intermingled to create a rich, atmospheric narrative. The chapters are short and pacy with plenty of horse galloping, tree climbin
Michelle Toy
This review was originally posted on www.talesofyesterday.co.uk

I literally have so much to say about this book that I am really hoping that this review can do this debut authors book justice! I loved this book..... a lot! Since the end of Harry Potter I have been looking for a book and / or book series that could fill that Harry Potter void in my life. A book that has the right mix of great characters, humour, magic and action! It's taken me a while...and I present to you The Dreamsnatcher!

The D
Matt Woods
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book fills you with imagination. You can feel the darkness seeping through the pages, yet to discover the light through fantastic writing by Abi Elphinstone. I loved the story and each characters prospective within it. Brilliant writing. Brilliant story. Can't wait for the sequel next year!!!!
Amanda
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
I had high expectations for this, which in hindsight probably sabotaged my reading experience. Is "gypsy" a derogatory term? If so, this book has a major problem there as it refers to the main character and her community as "gypsies." I didn't connect with the characters at all and didn't understand their motivations. There was no world building and the bad guys seemed unreal and ridiculous to me. It seemed a bit like the author thought up a cool name for something and then stopped developing th ...more
Peter
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun and scary middle grade fantasy adventure for 9-12 year olds.

The creepy prologue, gives way to an opening chapter filled with action, and Moll makes an enjoyable and opinionated hyperactive-heroine, who barely stops moving throughout the book. She's the sort who says what she's thinks, and means what she says. Clearly and beautifully written with lots of action and movement, so you can almost see her. I loved her line in insults - calling Alfie a spudmucker, and telling him to wipe his beh
Luna
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
With my ever growing TBR pile I didn’t think I’d read Abi Elphinstone’s debut prior to publication but much like Moll being called the Dreamsnatch there was something about this book that kept calling me. I just kept picking it up so better read it to find out why.

I loved the world-building and characters. There is this bit towards the end, which I won’t spoil because it’s SO awesome and that would be mean but I was literally happy-clapping while reading it. The clue is ‘tree’. When you reach it
Mathew
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Dream Snatcher is a vibrant story of youth, discovery, love and loyalty in a world where, across the river, dark revelations awake.

The story follows the adventures of Moll Pecksniff, an orphaned Romani traveller whose dreams are plagued by dark visions of a masked man shrouded in fire and night. But she is not alone. A ferociously loyal wildcat is her companion and Moll soon meets up with Alfie whose own past is as mysterious as hers. Together they must face the flames and the darkness for t
Satsuma
The Dreamsnatcher is a thrilling page-turner. It really is. I am a great fan of the author, and have read quite a few of her books, so really enjoyed this one. I was taken on a journey with Moll and Griff, and then Alfie, weaving through each page one by one. The definition of a GoodRead!
GaiasWonderland
"Gypsies, travellers, wandering people, we believe our souls are part of our natural surroundings - wild and free. That when we walk through the forests, the heath, the fields or the moors, our souls walk beside us, as a shadow."

I enjoyed this story. It was fast-packed, mysterious, and funny. I loved that there is a wild cat in the story. Animals are always the best part, as they are more awesome than most humans.

It had some original parts inside the story. I enjoyed the dynamic in the "tribe"
JackAndrew Harford
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing story!

As soon as I started reading this book I was drawn in to the world of Moll and Gryff. There is excitement written into near enough every page which helps the story keeps it's fast pace. As I was reading I found myself becoming more and more involved in the relationship between Moll and Gryff and think that most children would be able to relate to it. The relationship between them both made me as a reader feel a surge of different emotions from happiness, anxiety and sadness
Harriet Jane Mitchell
Possibly because I read the book in such a stop-start fashion on bus journeys, I found it took longer than expected to get into.

However, in my opinion, the book got better as it went on so I am now looking forward to finding out how the adventure continues when the sequel is published later this year.
Anne-Marie
Rounded up to 5* because got me out of a reading slump. Definitely will read next in series. Gripping and well imagined.
Raimy
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5. But that may be because I didn't want it to end where it did!
Gilly
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book had been on my shelf a few weeks and so I took the decision after ploughing my way through a 10 book series that I needed a quick read and this was my choice.

The story follows Moll and her wild cat Gryff on their quest to destroy the magic of the Soul Splinter after it took the lives of Molls parents.

The world building in this book is superb and the writing captivates it’s reader with a fast spaced narrative. The sense of good and bad is fantastically built up with any reader it has on
Rosie Morgan
This book hovered between a 4 and a 5 star for me. In the end the 4 won.
(However, I'm presently reading the sequel, which speaks volumes . . . if you'll excuse the pun. Furthermore, I've already bought the third in the series!)
For me there were a few episodes which went on a little too long, but the writing and the characterisation was strong. I liked Moll, Siddy and Alfie and their relationships. The humour made me smile too - I loved Sid's pets. And the setting was believable and real.
The st
Fiona
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Moll Pecksniff is a gypsy girl who sets out to defeat the darkness that plagues the forest, her home and her dreams. She is accompanied by her loyal, but fierce, wildcat and her new frenemy, Alfie- who's past is as much of a mystery as her own. This is a fast paced and exciting book filled with adventure and passion from the word go. The descriptive language enables the reader to join Moll on her quest and be in her world for a short time. Can't wait to read the next in the series!
Pippa Wilson
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A review of Abi Elphinstone's "The Dream Snatcher" by Pippa Wilson
Cover art by Thomas Flintham

Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2PCs...

So what did I think?
Endorsed on the front cover by Piers Torday as "Fast paced and full of charm", and further endorsed on the back cover by Katherine Rundell as "An outstanding debut packed with suspense, adventure and heart", you know straight away that "The Dream Snatcher" is going to be more than a bit special. In all truthfulness, it was the gorgeous
Anne Fien
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok sit down and listen. This book is absolutely amazing. You know how the author's name Abi Elphinstone pretty much sounds like she's a badass fairy princess? Well the book is just as awesome.
I want every child to read this book, I want it to become the new Harry Potter about a girl, because boys are weird. I want this book to have all the things. But also I really really want to get my hands on The Shadow Keeper RIGHT NOW!!!

I'll try to make this into a coherent review, but I can't promise anyth
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a print copy of this title from the publisher for review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Moll is drawn to the clearing where Skull waits in her dreams. Will she be strong enough to resist the call?

I have been amazed and gratified of late to see the incredible originality coming from authors of UK middle grade. The Dreamsnatcher is certainly part of this parade of quality storytelling.

Apart from the adventurous storyline and themes of belonging, identity and loyalty that pervade the book, there is
Sophie
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Dreamsnatcher is a debut filled with magic, charm and a good dollop of sass. So much fun!

Abi Elphinstone has a gorgeous writing style: lyrical and evocative, it sets the scene of Oak’s camp and the Ancientwood perfectly. I love Moll and the camp’s gypsy life. A childhood of climbing trees, making pets out of earthworms, learning about natural potions and remedies; a dream childhood. It has made Moll fierce, brave, mischievous and a little wild. Add some of the phrases that come out of her a
Yolanda Sfetsos
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-fantasy, mg
I've had my eye on this book for a while so when I found out I could borrow it from my local library, I put it on hold.

Moll is an adventurous young girl who lives in a clearing in the forest. She also happens to be a gypsy, and even has a cool wagon. Oh, and she's got a wildcat called Gryff.

The night her nightmares take her over the river's boundary she's determined to get her stolen cob back. But the horrible Skull has taken Jinx and he's a witch doctor who has some very evil plans for Moll. N
Megan
Abi Elphinstone has conjured a captivating world in The Dreamsnatcher. I was enchanted from the first pages and barely drew breath from start to finish. Super fast paced, the story begins midst a daring rescue and unfolding of Moll’s story. Like protagonist Sophie in Howl’s Moving Castle, who doesn’t know her true identity, or Harry Potter who grew up with no knowledge of his background, Moll is also a wonderfully likeable limited narrator, whose story is revealed, to us and to her, bit by bit ...more
Rachel
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Dreamsnatcher is all about a young girl called Moll, she is a gypsy but has never felt like she belonged as she did not know her parents. Every night she gets the same dream and it takes her further and further out of the clearing. One night she wakes near the river and as her horse Jinxed had been stolen by Skulls camp she went to rescue her. What happens once she enters the camp for the first time changes her life in a big way.

An adventure begins, she needs to stop Skull and the other Witc
Kieran Fanning
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pacey adventure set in the rather enclosed confines of a forest. The MC, Moll is a feisty, pig-headed, brave and spirited kid, who with her wildcat sidekick, Gryff, reminds us strongly of Lyra Belacqua and her daemon, Pantalaimon. The story is full of gypsy lore and superstition, and magic, both good and bad, permeates the text. The good magic is composed of Moll's love and loyalty and the gypsies affinity with the forest around them. 'Things that are important are mostly invisible to ...more
RhiannaH
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that deserves to be read more than once, and the vivid imagery throughout the book suggests there is also a film lurking within.

Moll and her partner throughout her adventures, the wildcat, Gryff,share a history lost in the mists of time, but which appears to be becoming further unraveled as the story progresses. The layers of the story are peeled away with each chapter and the themes of magic; dark forces against good, friendship and trust with new friends and old, ebb and flow i
Nick Swarbrick
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A powerful story drawing on real Romany traditions, and set in a beech forest, this is a book full of dangerous exploits, half- understood relationships and family history. It's complex, but Abi Elphinstone works hard to bring it all to a satisfyingly Gothic final battle, with creatures formed from swarming bats, and horrendous, maggot-eaten faces.

Moll, the protagonist, finds something of who she is, discovers something of her place in her adoptive family. The relationship between Moll and Gryff
Anna
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best children's books I've read in a long time, possibly ever!!
Moll took me with her on her adventures, I felt her pain, excitement, anger, fear, love, belief. From the first page I was hooked, I stepped into the story and got lost in it's magic. Every moment is spellbinding. And the last few chapters left me breathless!
I can't wait to read it to my children and to give a copy to our school library.
This is a fast paced adventure that will leave you desperate for the sequel! I can't
Katie-Clare O'Connor-Marsh
Abi Elphinstone is most definitely the queen of cliffhangers - which made for a very gripping and enjoyable read. I found myself whizzing through the book as the suspense at the end of each chapter meant I struggled to put it down.
What I loved most was Elphinstone's creative writing and use of the most unusual similes to capture the readers imagination. I also loved the thought that there's a lot of realism in her writing about tribal superstitions and way of life and found this to be very inte
  • Hoodoo
  • The Peculiar Haunting of Thelma Bee
  • Hamish and the Worldstoppers (Hamish and the PDF, #1)
  • Stonebird
  • The Last of the Spirits
  • Arsenic for Tea (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #2)
  • The League of Unexceptional Children (The League of Unexceptional Children, #1)
  • The Bubble Boy
  • The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
  • Mabel Jones and the Forbidden City
  • The D'Evil Diaries (The D'Evil Diaries, #1)
  • The Crooked Sixpence (The Uncommoners #1)
  • The Midnight War of Mateo Martinez
  • The Wolf Wilder
  • Warren the 13th and The All-Seeing Eye
  • The Entirely True Story of the Unbelievable FIB
  • Ben Fox: Squirrel Zombie Specialist at Your Service
  • Beetle Boy (The Battle of the Beetles #1)
Abi Elphinstone grew up in Scotland where she spent most of her childhood building dens, hiding in tree houses and running wild across highland glens. After being coaxed out of her tree house, she studied English at Bristol University and then worked as a teacher.

THE DREAMSNATCHER is her debut novel for 8-12 years (published by Simon & Schuster in 2015). THE SHADOW KEEPER is her second childr

Dreamsnatcher (3 books)
  • The Shadow Keeper (Dreamsnatcher #2)
  • The Night Spinner (Dreamsnatcher #3)
“A breeze sifted through the ivy, brushing Moll’s skin like a whisper.” 0 likes