Start by marking “Hell Is Coming (The Watchers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hell Is Coming (The Watchers, #1)

Hell Is Coming

(Nephilim Rising #1)

Alternate cover edition for: ISBN 9781502355584

"Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Foster kid, Leia Swanson is eighteen and just getting her life together after a turbulent past that included losing both her parents when she was seven years old.

Paperback, 2nd Edition, 275 pages
Published October 31st 2014 by Martin Publications (first published October 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Hell Is Coming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell Is Coming

Start your review of Hell Is Coming (The Watchers, #1)
Montzalee Wittmann
Wow, great excitement!

Hell is Coming by N.P. Martin takes a wild trip down demon lane and kicking their tails as it went! A gal who is part angel, sees demons. Then her twin brother is taken by them. That was their big mistake! Lots of family secrets revealed, great action, excitement, and supernatural dangers! Loved it although I really didn't like the gal the first half of the book! She got better.
Rae King
Hell is Coming is the first book in a new urban fantasy series. If you are a fan of this genre, you will not be disappointed in this fast-paced trill ride!

Leia is an eighteen year old who grew up in foster care with her twin brother, Josh. They lost their parents when they were seven years old and only Leia knows what truly happened that night. She witnessed her father being killed and her mother taken by a demon. Ever since she turned eighteen, she has been able to see a demon's true form, caus
vicky.
Dec 17, 2014 rated it liked it
“You think you’re so smart,” she said to us choking on her own blood. “You know nothing. Soon enough everything you know will be gone.”
“What are you talking about?” I asked her.
“Hell is coming,” she said laughing, still choking on her own blood. “Hell is coming and you can’t stop it.”

I'm always wary of the Paranormal genre, because a lot of plots are just like the tv show Supernatural. And while this book had many those elements, it also had some original stuff enough to make it enjoyable.
Abigail Van nuys
I wasn't prepared for how much I would enjoy "Hell Is Coming" by N.P. Martin! Once I started I could not put the book down except once to go to lunch with my sister where all I talked about with the book!

The story centers around 18 year old Leia and her battles to save her brother. Without giving away too much, it seems the ordeals are incredible but Leia is a strong girl when the circumstances require. I could really relate to Leia and I found myself cheering for her as the ending unfolded.

I hi
Steve H
Not normally my kinda thing but I kinda enjoyed this. I'll take note and maybe catch the next in the series if one appears.
Debrac2014
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it
This story was ok. It was action packed but I disliked the main character Leia, just couldn't connect with her!
Heather
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of the mortal instruments, buffy, or supernatural than you will fucking LOVE this book. It's got a kick ass female lead, demons and angel blades used to slay them, action, gore, and amazing family relationships as well as steamy romantic relationships. This was one hell of a ride and I'm excited for the next installment of this series. Bring on the demon possessions, the blood and guts, the slaying, and the awesome villains, I'm ready for it! I think...
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Full Review:
I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this book when I started since I don't tend to like books about angel wars (technically they're nephilim, but close enough) as many of them seem to be broad in scope and plot-focused. But the cover of this one drew me in, and, lucky for me, it stayed nicely focused on the personal motivations, goals, lives, and feelings of the main characters and turned out to be a great book!

The main character, Leia, had a unique voice that I had fun reading.
Hillary
Nov 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books, 2014
This book took me on a ride, indeed. The overall plot was definitely something that interested me-- as a fan of Supernatural, and Constantine, and Sleepy Hollow and the like, the world of demons is something that intrigues me, and I think this book really captured the image of them, giving them a diversity that isn't seen so often, which was nice. It's cool to think of them with their own personalities, their own likes and dislikes and vices. It's fascinating, and that really caught my attention ...more
Penny
I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book, but what I got was very surprising. While the protagonist is 18 years old, she came across as older mainly because of her life. As such, I wouldn’t recommend this as a young adult read, more of a new adult read. And, yes, she does things that are probably a little shocking, again, because of her past. Now that I’m past those warnings, I will say I really, really enjoyed this book. I’ve seen reviewers posting how similar this was to Supernatural, but I ...more
Taylor Smith
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an exciting book from N.P. Martin. Leia has had a tough childhood in which her family was basically taken away from her. She's already lost her mother and her father, now her brother is missing. Leia is trying to figure out her past while trying to fight off what is haunting her presently. I really enjoyed that the main character was a strong female. Leia was very tough and resilient. She didn't let anything stop her or get in her way. Seeing her go through her journey was awesome. Leia sta ...more
Karen
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this read. The storyline is well-written, a little dark, a little like Supernatural but there is hopefulness to the main character. The characters are defined, complex and compelling and I'm looking forward to the next installment. I voluntarily read an ARC and this is my honest review.
carol chisholm
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved how this book was written. The author managed to use descriptives that totally terrified me in parts.
A film can do that quite easily for me, but this is the first time I have ever felt such eeriness and in some parts, terror, from reading a book.

Great book and the writing was brilliant.
Stanley
Good start

There were parts of this story I loved and parts that to me just didn't make sense. To me her actions a lot of time didn't jive with her thoughts or motivations and seemed contrived just to cary the story.
Deborah
Frustrating main character

This book has a cool idea but the main character remains a bratty teenager all the way through, constantly making stupid decisions & not learning from any mistakes.
Might appeal to younger readers but I found it incredibly frustrating.
Tia
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
New series, was pretty whacky but awesome. I enjoyed reading it.
Damian Southam
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With outstanding and intriguing key characters and a gritty, no-holds-barred environment this 5 star novel takes off quickly and continues to soar with its fast paced action and captivating plot. A refreshing and rare stance in the field, that of an intriguing lead heroine written from a male's perspective, combined with a continuingly developing plot, together these all make for a book you won't want to put down. Upon finishing I found myself jumping straight back on to Amazon to grab the cheap ...more
Sonja Gosnell
Similar to the T.V. show Supernatural, this book is a good read to anyone who enjoys the urban fantasy genre. While I am a big fan of Supernatural, I couldn’t get excited as I read this book. I found that I was predicting every plot point that was happening because it was very similar to the T.V. show, story-wise anyways.

However, if you enjoy fast-paced novels, detailed fighting scenes, and supernatural creatures, then this would probably be a book for you. Following eighteen-year-old Leia Swan
Tammy
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Got for free for an honest review.

First time reading from the author.
I thought the story was well written. Characters of the story were likable.
It had the Grimm type feel to it, maybe mixed with some Supernatural feeling to it as well.
It was packed with action, twist and turns as the story unfolds. The story keeps you hooked till the end with a steady pace. Will be stalking the authors books for more of their books.

Thank you for letting me read your story.
TE
Mar 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
I don't know...The premise was okay but the execution was just off...at least on the copy I received. It read more like a rough draft than a finished product. It needs a good editing AND the editing needs editing as there were editing notes throughout the story. There were repeated words and phrases, little character development and a graphic sex scene that I (and the story) could have done without. Kinda seemed like it was there because "sex sells" or some nonsense like that.
Jennifer Holzapfel
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
excellent read. A combination of fantasy, horror, and urban wrapped up in one detailed story. the characters and plot line suck you in and don't let go. This is an excellent start to the Watchers series. I highly recommend it if you like the struggle of good and evil in the form of half angels fighting against full demons to save the world from turning into Hell.
Michelle
can't wait to read the next one
Jeffrey Newman
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a rush of a story!

What a great heroine. Totally enjoyed the tale and the characters. A must read for those who enjoy demon killer stories and urban fantasy.
Lauren
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Aside from a lack of proofreading, the gratuitous sex chapter felt entirely unnecessary. I feel no need to read more of this series.
Alisha Tarran
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Then when people start turning into demons before her eyes and she feels a strange new power grow in her, Leia’s life begins to unravel, prompting her to visit her childhood home for answers.
Convinced a demon took her mother and killed her father, Leia soon uncovers her mothers secret past as a Watcher—a Nephilim demon hunter—and that s
Sage Knightly
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ffr
*I received a digital copy from the author from a giveaway.
Rating: 4.5/5

Leia and her twin brother Josh grew up in foster homes due to their mother and father being killed by demons. No one believed Leia as she made her statement as a little seven year old though, and so she learned to keep her mouth shut. However, ever since turning eighteen, she sees things: the demons and their true faces even when they're walking around in human bodies (which are called meat suits). She thinks she's gone c
Arkham Reviews
Jan 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
First of all, a word of caution. Perhaps I was misinformed but I picked up this book because I was told it was suitable for young adult readers. I disagree strongly with this evaluation. This novel is clearly targeted at new adult (18+) readers. There's gore, drug use, lots of swearing and one particularly graphic sex scene (one that the author really went out of his way to shoehorn into the story and was so brutally explicit that I personally felt it lost any kind of appeal that my have had).

Wi
Vannessa
I thoroughly enjoyed this first book in this new to me series. I received this book for free from the author's website, so was a bit dubious as to how good it would be, but I needed a book about demons to fulfil a reading challenge and am so glad I chose to read it.

Leia is an 18 year old twin, having lived in several foster care homes since she was 7 after witnessing a demon and his hellhound kill her parents. Everyone else thought she was distraught with grief, but Leia knew what she had seen
J C Mitchinson
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the story of an 18 year old girl who finds out she's a Nephilim with a family legacy of hunting demons.

It's clear that a large amount of thought and effort has gone into this book, and it doesn't slack off at any point in terms of trying to deliver and keeping up a good pace. The protag is a strong-willed, know-it-all, and I found her very annoying but also thought her reactions pretty accurate in terms of 18 year olds (I teach them, I know!).

To be honest, I don't know exactly why I didn
« previous 1 3 next »
GOOD REVIEWS: Seeking reviews for Urban Fantasy novel. 1 14 Oct 27, 2014 04:32PM

• Anghellic (Feathers and Fire #8)
  • A Demon Bound (Imp, #1)
  • Dinosaur World 3 (Dinosaur World, #3)
  • Demon's Legacy
  • Hunter's Legacy
  • Trinity (Feathers and Fire, #9)
  • Dan's Inferno, Book II: BeDeviled
  • Archangels Among Us: Archangel Rising
  • Cursed! (Dan's Inferno, #1)
  • Intrinsic Immortality (Sol Arbiter #2)
  • Memetic Drift (Sol Arbiter #4)
  • Digital Chimera (Sol Arbiter #3)
  • Hex Division (Starcaster #2)
  • Darkspace Renegade (Darkspace Renegade #1)
  • Carnage (The Temple Chronicles #14)
  • Let Sleeping Gods Lie: A Lovecraftian Gods Horror Story (Cowboys & Cthulhu Book 1)
  • Evolve (Forgotten Starship #5)
  • Flames of Chaos (Legacy of the Nine Realms, #1)
I’m N.P. Martin and I’m a lover of dark fantasy and horror. Writing stories about magick, the occult, monsters and kickass characters has always been my idea of a dream job, and these days, I get to live that dream. I have tried many things in my life (professional martial arts instructor, bouncer, plasterer, salesman…to name a few), but only the writing hat seems to fit. When I’m not writing, I’m ...more

Nephilim Rising (4 books)
  • Demon's Legacy (Nephilim Rising #2)
  • Hell's Legacy (Nephilim Rising #3)
  • Devil's Legacy (Nephilim Rising #4)