Start by marking “A Window Opens” as Want to Read:
A Window Opens

A Window Opens

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  11,270 ratings  ·  1,570 reviews
In A Window Opens, beloved books editor at Glamour magazine, Elisabeth Egan, brings us Alice Pearse, a compulsively honest, longing-to-have-it-all, sandwich generation heroine for our social-media-obsessed, lean in (or opt out) age.

Like her fictional forebears Kate Reddy and Bridget Jones, Alice plays many roles (which she never refers to as “wearing many hats” and wishes you wouldn’t
Published August 25th 2015 by Simon Schuster

To ask other readers questions about A Window Opens, please sign up.
Liz Dear Anne, I haven't read How to Be a Grownup yet, but it's at the top of my stack, and I loved The Nanny Diaries. Thanks for the suggestion--I'll…moreDear Anne, I haven't read How to Be a Grownup yet, but it's at the top of my stack, and I loved The Nanny Diaries. Thanks for the suggestion--I'll report back. Also, thanks for your review. --Liz Egan(less)

·  11,270 ratings  ·  1,570 reviews

Start your review of A Window Opens
Diane S ☔
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Alice Pearse is a likable character, a character many of us can identify with. She is a mother to three young children, married and works three days a week at a magazine, reviewing books. That is until her husband finds out he did not make partner and wants to open his own law office, which means Alice must find a full time job until his own office is up and running.

She is offered what she thinks is a dream job, a new type of book store that offers first editions, e-books and oth
Angela M
Aug 21, 2015 rated it liked it

3 + stars .

A contemporary story on multiple levels, dealing with women juggling their roles and coping with the challenges of every day life. There's an interesting focus for book lovers on e-books vs book stores. Add in an ailing parent , marital issues and drinking problems , questionable corporate intentions, and it sounds like this might not be a fun book to read . And it isn't funny per se , but there's humor and family and the literary references that make this an enjoyable rea
Esil
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
There's nothing new about the theme or story of A Window Opens. Alice lives in the suburbs with her three kids, husband and dog, and works part time for a magazine. Alice's husband loses his job, and Alice gets a job in New York with a new company that is developing an in store digital book concept. And then Alice spends most of the book struggling to do it all -- including coping with her ill father. I say that this common theme is done well because Alice is likeable and recognizable, and the b ...more
❀Julie
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
4 solid stars. Thoroughly enjoyed this book!

Alice Pearse made me feel better about my role as a mom, almost making my crazy paced life look easy. I adored her character, flaws and all, and felt strangely comforted by reading this. I have never been a full-time working mom but could still relate to so much of this story. The part about her dying father was especially moving, and although I could not relate to losing a father, I could relate to the loss of a close loved one and the language felt
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
Contemporary modern life for Nicholas - Alice- their three young children - and dog has its challenges.

At the beginning of this story, Alice was only working part time- but when her husband didn't make partner with his law firm--- and throws his laptop across the room--- he no longer has a job. His plans are to start his own business... But in the meantime... He has no immediate income coming in.
It doesn't take long until Alice takes a dream - job- demanding job- working full time.... Commutin
Laurence R.
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-review
I REALLY liked this book.

For some reason, I seem to be reading more books like this one, even though I'm pretty much always young enough to be the main characters' daughter. I don't even care about that fact, because there are so many life lessons in them and I can still find ways to relate to their lives, which always makes my reading experience amazing.

From the very first page, I loved this book. It mentions a book from my favourite author on its very first page, so I knew the mai
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Smart, funny, and heartfelt, I loved Elisabeth Eagan’s new book “A Window Opens.” While the overall plot has been done before – Mom goes back to work full-time (to a job that wasn’t quite what she thought it would be) and struggles to manage it all – Eagan scores originality points for incorporating main character Claire’s struggles with aging/ill parents; creating real, likeable characters; and writing a book for book lovers.

Some of my favorite parts of the book were all of the lite
Veronica ⭐️
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: s-s, netgalley, 2016
Nicholas, feeling he is going nowhere in his current job quits and decides to set up his own business. His wife, Alice, worried about future money problems applies for a full time job.
Initially Alice feels let down by Nicholas. She enjoyed her part time job and bringing up their three children. However when she finds a dream job and the freedom and importance that comes with it she starts to think maybe she really can have it all.

Egan’s “A Window Opens” is a story of women defi
Rebecca
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
A sweet, funny debut novel about a woman who tries to juggle all the elements of a happy life: finding the perfect job for a modern book-lover…but also being a good mother to her three children, supporting her husband after he loses his job at a law firm, and helping her mother care for her father as he suffers a relapse of throat cancer.

New Jersey commuter Alice Pearse goes from writing about books for You magazine (I bet Egan doesn’t know that’s a real publication title in the UK, the
Taylor Knight
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review
This is such a light read. I was expecting it to be a little... more. Blurbs had said this book was funny but I didn't think it was. There was a few kind of funny parts but I felt like they were forced and didn't really belong. I thought the characters were likable enough even though I didn't really fall in love with them.
I didn't relate to Alice at all just because she seemed to lack ethics and she made some really wacky deci
DeB MaRtEnS
Well, this has been read in tandem while I read another book and A Window Opens didn't suffer from my diverting attention.

I guess that I don't know who the target audience was meant to be for a this novel; young urban high income earners with children? Are there a large percentage of those in the population? On one hand, it was The Devil Wears Prada in the new world e-book phoney baloney cruel corporate culture for dear idealistic Alice Pearse, formerly part-time mommy, magazine edit
Amber
Alice Pearse is a loving mother who loves her kids as well as a loving wife to her husband. She loves her job as a Book editor for You magazine where she reviews and acquires books from Publishers to read for the magazine. When her husband quits his dead-end job at his lawyer firm to start a new one, Alice must find something full-time to let them have food and stay in their house. She finds a new job but it quickly takes the place of her family. Can she handle her job and family life or will it ...more
Lynda Loigman
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book interrupted my life in the very best way. I got no work done and ignored my children for pretty much the whole day so that I could finish it. It deals wonderfully with the theme of work/life balance, but it is much more than that. It made me laugh out loud and burst into tears several times, but it is much more than that too. Elisabeth Egan's observations on motherhood and the loss of a parent were completely relatable and spot-on. But what I really hope people appreciate when they rea ...more
Jessica Jeffers
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I'm hard-pressed to think of a character in recent memory to whom I could relate less than Alice Pease, and so, to me, she ended up feeling like a giant cliche.
Tooter
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 Stars - NetGalley Give-Away
Meghan
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, ebook
THIS ISN'T A FUNNY OR HUMOROUS BOOK. It's about a woman who's so busy with kids, parents, job, commute, husband that she has no time for a sense of humor. The couple lighthearted incidents (view spoiler)are out of place amid the dying parent, husband struggling with addiction, and the serious ethical issues she struggles with at her job.
Maria
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This book isn't something I would typically gravitate toward, but I found that I really enjoyed it. The novel was picked for me as part of the 25 Goals challenge in the Reading for Pleasure Group by one of our fantastic mods, Amber. Good pick - thank you for exposing me to something I wouldn't normally choose that I quite enjoyed!

Meet Alice Pearse: a mom of three, devoted wife, amazing daughter, and a part time editor. Then life changes for her, and she scores a BIG job with BIG responsibility. Ever
Cynthia Corral
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Looks like a lot of my friends really liked this book, but I'm going to be super honest here: I didn't.

I didn't hate it, I just wasn't impressed at all, and could drum up no sympathy for the main character, Alice.

First thing: the blurbs on the back cover call it "laugh-out-loud funny" and I couldn't disagree with this more. Beware anyone who's looking for some light chick lit. Liane Moriarty starts her books out light and fluffy, then adds in a lot of dark heavy stuff - there is stil
Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat)
I grabbed the audiobook of A Window Opens from my library on a whim when I was in the mood for a bit of a palate cleanser. And for what it was, it did the job.

“Yes, it really is possible to do anything, be everything. But maybe if I hadn’t dozed through Physics for Poets, I would have been a little more up to speed on the limitations of time. You can’t create more of it. You can sleep less, plan more, double book, set the alarm for 5:30am spin class, order winter coats for your kids
Shoa Khan
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Special thanks to the author and publisher for a copy of this book.

"When a door closes, a window opens."

This is the story of Alice Pearse and her family (which includes her husband, 3 children, a dog, her children's baby-sitter, her parents, and her brother with his own family!).

When her husband makes a drastic career move, Alice is forced to leave her relaxed part-time job as a magazine editor and look for a full-time job opportunity, to shoulder the responsibility of running their household.
In an expected stroke of luck, Alicebook.
Sarah Obsesses over Books & Cookies
I hadn't even seen the blurb comparing it to Where'd you go, Bernadette but if I had I would have been even more disappointed. This book was okay- I hate complaining about a novel because just having written a publishable book is something to praise but because we want to know what each other thinks I'll say that it was not a great read. But it was good enough.
I have read some books that are about nothing yet the writing sucks you in, the author's perspective on life or the protagonist is cleve
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

A Window Opens by Elisabeth Egan explores the myth that women can 'have it all'.

Alice Pearse has a part time job she loves, reviewing books for a magazine, which allows her to spend plenty of time with her three children but when her husband announces he has quit his job Alice is forced to find full time work. An exciting opportunity with a start up company seems to present the ideal solution but as the demands of her new job begin to overwhelm her family life, Alice is left off-bala
LibraryReads
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: august-2015
“Alice Pearce has a pretty great life. She has a loving family and works part-time as an editor for a magazine. When her family’s financial situation takes a drastic turn, Alice finds that she needs to step up to the plate and contribute more, and she finds this comes at a cost. I think many women will see themselves in Alice’s character. I recommend this book to moms who need a little time to themselves; they might realize that maybe things aren’t so bad for them after all.”

Rosanna
Colleen
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wonderful book about a reader/mom turned serious business woman - but at what expense? Very relatable to me and definitely makes me continue to think about our life choices and consequences. I thought the main character Alice was a brave woman and was rooting for her the whole time. Lovely book jacket design. Very recommendable book. I could totally relate.

Thanks to Simon & Schuster for a copy of this marvelous book & I gave an honest review.

Our greatest weakness lies in giv
Catherine McKenzie
An insiders look

I raced through this insiders look at working in big/new publishing. Sweet, funny and with some keen insights too, you'll enjoy this.
Laurel-Rain
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alice Pearse and Nicholas Bauer have been married for thirteen years. With three kids—Margo, Oliver, and Georgie—their plates are full. Alice works part-time for a magazine, and Nicholas works for a law firm.

They are managing fairly well until Nicholas is told he will not be promoted, so he loses his temper….then quits. Now he will be starting his own practice. But with the loss of his income, Alice must find full-time work.

Her quest leads her to a start-up company that w
Melissa
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I went into A Window Opens not really knowing what to expect, and came out on the other side pleasantly surprised. It's a story of a woman trying to find balance in her life between having a demanding job and raising three young children, as well as dealing with her father's health situation. Alice's job reminds me of something out of a Lauren Weisberger or Emma and Nicola novel. Her boss runs hot and cold on a daily basis. She's required to answer e-mails on weekends or vacation days. Her role chang ...more
steph
I like this. A lot. I really liked the main character, Alice and how she struggles to balance work and personal life admist a ailing parent, laid off husband, three kids etc. It sounds like a dark read but it was very humorous overall. If you are someone who likes books that aren't about extraordinary circumstances but mainly about people, just living their ordinary life you'd like this book. I'd read more by this author.
Karen
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Check out my full review on KissinBlueKaren

This story brought me to tears. There is nothing in the synopsis that lead me to believe it would bring on the feels, but this story really spoke to me and made me cry big fat ugly tears. A Window Opens was such a nice surprise about career, child rearing, friendships, family ties, and love.

I give it 5 enthusiastic stars for being awesome!
AdiTurbo
Sep 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
DNF. I was expecting more original and deeper insights on the life of a modern Western mother from this one, but it wasn't really delivering, nor did it have much humor or wit, not enough to give me pleasure or hold my attention. Everything else is what we here in Israel call "Oy, oy, oy", or the sad laments of a white, priviledged, bourgeois woman, her friends and family. Nothing new here.
7-zip password recovery 1 1 Aug 16, 2019 06:35AM

• How to Party with an Infant
  • It's You
  • A Nearly Perfect Copy
  • Local Girls
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
  • The Underground Railroad
Elisabeth Egan is the books editor at Glamour. Her essays and book reviews have appeared in Self, Glamour, O, The Oprah Magazine, People, Publishers Weekly, Kirkus Reviews, the Huffington Post, the New York Times Book Review, the Los Angeles Times Book Review, The Washington Post, the Chicago Sun-Times and The Newark Star-Ledger. She lives in New Jersey with her family.
“And the moral is: If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave. —Mo Willems, Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs” 8 likes
“When you're a kid, you think you're going to have this deep well of time with your parents when you grow up and you're all on equal footing.” 6 likes