Start by marking “Come Away with Me” as Want to Read:
Come Away with Me

Come Away with Me

One minute, Tegan Lawson has everything she could hope for: an adoring husband, Gabe, and a baby on the way. The next, a patch of black ice causes a devastating accident that will change her life in ways she never could have imagined.

Tegan is consumed by grief, not to mention her anger toward Gabe, who was driving on the night of the crash. But just when she th
Published August 25th 2015 by Mira (first published May 26th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Come Away with Me, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Paula Invest the time and energy into the book. It's totally worth it.
The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienWild by Cheryl StrayedEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertA Walk in the Woods by Bill BrysonInto the Wild by Jon Krakauer
Wanderlust
861 books — 1,156 voters
Me Before You by Jojo MoyesCome Away with Me by Karma BrownThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinMaking Faces by Amy Harmon
Best Tearjerkers
29 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Come Away with Me
Pouting Always
I'm not sure why everyone but me enjoyed this book but I found it hard to finish. The writing was mediocre and felt childish and Tegan was insufferable through out the book. I couldn't stand the way she was treating Gabe and even though the ending explains some of it, and yeah ok I cried when I read it damn it, it doesnt change how I felt reading the other 4/5ths of the book. The twist doesn't make up for me wanting to strangle Tegan for hours and it just felt manipulative to put it in after eve ...more
Melissa
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hard to believe this is a debut novel, as it is so beautifully written and so emotionally brave. It's a roller coaster of sadness and laughter along with an armchair adventure. I learned some interesting things about some places that would be fun to visit.
Karma Brown has written an incredible story with characters that will stay with readers long after the final page is turned. (Just be sure to have tissues handy.) I was not able to put it down and have been recommending it to everyone I know.
I don
Wendy
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4000-books, dec-17
Wow! What an incredible Journey the author takes us on!
Even an "OMG" moment that changes everything you thought you knew was happening to something totally different.
A beautifully written, heart-wrenching story of love and loss.
Kim
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book will take you on a journey. The journey is a physical one—an adventure to gorgeous global destinations—but more importantly, it's a powerful emotional journey.

I was swept along as Tegan and Gabe struggled through a devastating loss, trying to find their way when life dealt them a horrible hand.

COME AWAY WITH ME is an achingly beautiful story, with nuanced characters you'll truly care about, and details so finely rendered you'll feel like you're right there (which, in this case, happe
Brandie
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
Did not see that twist coming. Really good book!
Denise
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Come Away With Me is a heart-wrenching story of young love and tragic loss. Tegan, a young wife, begins a emotional and physical journey after losing her baby (during her pregnancy) in a awful accident. After months of grief, I began to wonder why she did not return to teaching and her life. Tegan journeyed to Thailand where she experienced elephants painting and she even ate fried crickets. I loved the Amalfi Coast and her cooking classes and the wine. Tegan then travels to Hawaii and surfs. In ...more
Sara Strand
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Melissa
Sep 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015

This was a heartbreaking story of love, loss and navigating your way back to life after tragedy.

Tegan loses her baby, in a tragic accident, and it’s like she’s totally given up on life. She can barely get out of bed, forget about showering. The hardest part is watching her blame her husband, Gabe. She’s downright nasty and he’s nothing but patient and sweet, almost to the point of being too much. Somehow, he convinces Tegan to set out on some of the adventures they had hoped to exp
Heather
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I originally rated this one with four stars but as I’ve thought about this throughout the day, I decided to change it to five stars. Any book that can keep me thinking about it the whole day after I finish it deserves an extra star! ! I really enjoyed this book, the author brought this story together beautifully.
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

*3.5 stars

Come Away With Me is the debut novel, published in 2015, by Canadian author Karma Brown. A story of love, loss, memories, self discovery and the unexpected, Come Away With Me is a tightly wound read, which looks the stages of grief and the emphasis on exotic travel experiences to overcome heartbreak.

Come Away With Me is the story of lead protagonist Tegan Lawson’s life, and how one earth s
Colleen Turner
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Find my full review at http://aliteraryvacation.blogspot.com.

Please excuse me while I gush a little bit (well, maybe a lot!) about Come Away With Me by Karma Brown. It has been quite a while since a book made me actually, physically cry...like big, fat, hiccup-inducing tears...but that is exactly what happened on and off as I read this story. The raw emotions these characters are experiencing are written so vividly I at times felt like I could feel their pain, anger, anxiety and hollowing sadness along with them. While this
Shana Javery
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Karna Brown is one AMAZINGLY talented writer! I literally resented life getting in the way of my reading Come Away With Me in one straight shot! I encourage anyone who hasn't read this book yet to make it your NEXT BOOK! I do not want to give any plot details away but if you read the book description you will know that this book deals with tragic loss. I still encourage you to read this beautiful story because the author also allows you to experience the power of love and healing through her ama ...more
Mary Kubica
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was thrilled to get my hands on an ARC of Karma Brown's debut COME AWAY WITH ME. Brown's characters are likable and distinct, and the story is both heartbreaking and uplifting at the very same time. As main characters Tegan and Gabe set out on a journey around the world to help cope with an immense loss, Brown immerses the reader in each of these cultures and locales with remarkable detail. A stunning debut from a talented new author.
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was highly recommended by Amber, and it took me a while to get into. I loved the descriptions of each of the travel locations (and it made me really want to plan a vacation!), but I just didn't love the main character until close to the end. Overall, it was a good novel that I would definitely recommend.
Lori
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Such a great book, but I feel like I need to read it again to truly appreciate it.
Danielle
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
NO SPOILERS!!!! I had the pleasure of getting a ARC of this book. Having been a fan of Karma's writing, I was excited to read her debut novel. It takes a lot for me to cry and sniffle in public when reading, this did just that. The love story of Tegan and Gabe is a beautiful and tragic one that will have you order take-out for the family so you can keep reading. You experience with them the trip of a lifetime, from their home in Chicago, Thailand, Italy and Hawaii. Karma writes in exquisite deta ...more
Lisa Steinke
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was up way too late reading this book for two nights straight. I could not stop reading it. I had to know what happened next. The pacing is perfect. The writing is beautiful. The story is unforgettable. (With an OMG twist that will hit you hard!) I will be thinking about this captivating debut for a long time. Hands down, it's one of the best books I've read in a very long time. Bravo, Karma Brown! You are a supremely talented new voice in women's fiction!
Caryn
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour
If you liked Eat, Pray, Love, think of this as a fictionalized version. After a terrible accident, Tegan is overcome with grief and doesn't know how to get back to feeling like herself. When her husband suggests a worldwide adventure, she learns how to forgive. This book will have you feeling all the emotions, and I shed many tears.
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully poignant, I adored every word of this book. It is about a journey with exotic destinations and raw emotions. Even in great loss, there is great hope here.
Kate Hilton
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A smartly-written tale about the painful journey through grief. Moving, unexpected and devastatingly honest.
Arlene
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, romance, read-2016
Come Away with Me was one of those books I picked up because I was in the mood for something emotional. Well, Karma Brown definitely delivered! Not only was this story filled with a good amount of tissue material, but it also came with a nice little added bonus of a surprise twist that had me wanting to go back to chapter one and figure out why I let that little clue slide. I know where it happened, but I chose to ignore it.

In this novel, we meet Tegan Lawson who has just about everything going for he
Kristy
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book absolutely destroyed me. And I mean that in a very good way.

I fell in love with Tegan and Gabe from page one, and as I became more and more vested in the story, the twist came and ripped my heart out.

Karma is a brilliant writer and I'm so lucky to have had the privilege of reading this story before it was published. The only other story that actually made me bawl my eyes out was John Green's The Fault in Our Stars, and if you loved that story, I'm sure you will love this one too.

COM
Sharon DeVellis
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There are some books you read once, and there are others that you will read again, and again, and again. Come Away With Me is one of them.

Don't let the cover fool you. While this might look like an easy beach read (and it is) there is so much more to this story.

I started reading on a Wednesday and by Chapter 3 I knew this would be a book I couldn't put down. Fast forward to Thursday night when I was sitting on my couch with my jaw dropped open at the ending I had no idea was coming.

It's a wee
sue
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Karen Green
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
If you like your fiction with realistic characters, lush locations and not a small amount of emotional ups and downs, you'll really enjoy Karma Brown's debut novel. I was sucked in immediately, and stayed there until the very last page.

A great read. Thank you to Harlequin/Mira for the ARC.
Suze Lavender
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tegan and Gabe are incredibly happy together. They're soul mates, have a wonderful marriage and there's a baby on the way. Life couldn't be better. A terrible accident due to a patch of black ice changes their lives forever. Tegan is heartbroken and doesn't know how to go on. She's devastated because of everything she's lost in that awful moment and she knows she can never get it back.

When Tegan doesn't think she has the strength to keep on living Gabe suggests it's time to use their
Amber
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Some people might say this book gave them "the feels." But I abhor the phrase. So I'll say that this book gave me tingles. Some might argue it's the same as "the feels" but no, it is not. It sounds less irritating.

You'll meet Tegan, who seems to have it all: a loving husband. A son on the way. And then...a car crash. Her husband Gabe was driving, they hit black ice, and Tegan wakes up in the hospital and is told that her baby died.

I know. Tears.

Not surprisingly, Tegan fa
KAS
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing story involving love, tragic loss and taking time to heal. This book is beautifully written. I fell in love immediately with Tegan and Gabe and immersed myself in their incredible heart wrenching journey. Tissues were definitely needed.

This is Karma Brown's debut novel and I will add her to my list of must read authors!
Andrea
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2015-reads
You guys - this book was so good. I might even write a review for it - it was that good. :)
Liz
May 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
A little too depressing. Outdated travel writing with a selfish main character who is the kind of traveller I avoid.I know many people have loved this book- just not me.
Shawnigan Reads: Come Away With Me 1 5 Jan 09, 2019 01:56PM
The twist - spoilers 2 22 Aug 21, 2017 07:38PM

• Kažkas naujo, arba 47A
  • After I Do
  • Petro imperatorė (Petro imperatorė, #1)
  • The Mother's Secret
  • Forever, Interrupted
  • How to Walk Away
  • Things You Save in a Fire
  • Before I Let You Go
  • Allegheny Front
  • Laiškai, kurių tu niekada negausi
  • The Mother-in-Law
  • The Waiting Hours
  • Madraso deimantas
  • One True Loves
  • A Wedding in December
  • What Happened That Night
  • A Bungalow for Two (The Minister's Daughters Trilogy #3)
  • Every Time I Think of You
KARMA BROWN is an award-winning journalist and author of the bestsellers Come Away With Me and The Choices We Make. In addition to her novels, Karma's writing has appeared in publications such as Redbook, SELF, and Chatelaine. Karma lives just outside Toronto with her husband, daughter, and their labradoodle, Fred. In This Moment is her most recent novel.
“Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.” 10 likes
“We loved with a love that was more than love.” 5 likes