Start by marking “Legacy of Kings (Blood of Gods and Royals, #1)” as Want to Read:
Legacy of Kings (Blood of Gods and Royals, #1)

Legacy of Kings

(Blood of Gods and Royals #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  4,467 ratings  ·  1,032 reviews
Imagine a time when the gods turn a blind eye to the agony of men, when the last of the hellions roam the plains and evil stirs beyond the edges of the map. A time when cities burn, and in their ashes, empires rise.

Alexander, Macedonia’s sixteen-year-old heir, is on the brink of discovering his fated role in conquering the known world but finds himself drawn to a newcomer…
Published August 18th 2015 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about Legacy of Kings, please sign up.
Eleanor Herman It's historical fiction, with a bit of fantasy. I am a historian and worked hard to build a very realistic ancient world!
Eleanor Herman Yes, it does change POVs but most people have said it's not jarring. I find books written from one POV can be a bit dull. I want to know what is going…moreYes, it does change POVs but most people have said it's not jarring. I find books written from one POV can be a bit dull. I want to know what is going on in the other characters minds! How does a scheming person's POV of the same event differ from a nice person's? To get into their minds really fascinates me.(less)

·  4,467 ratings  ·  1,032 reviews

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
(3.5)

This was a solid start to an epic fantasy series & I can't wait to see what the rest of the series has to hold. The world building was probably my favorite part of this book. It was done SO WELL.
Christine Riccio
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was slow moving but I think the world was super interesting and built a lot of potential for the next books! Here's my booktalk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ss_w...
Emily May
Aug 18, 2015 marked it as dnf
Shelves: 2015, fantasy, young-adult
DNF

I realize that this may be a bit premature but I've read so many unoriginal fantasy novels that I don't want to waste anymore time on them. I could easily be persuaded to come back to this if the reviews are positive, but here's my review of the first chapter:

A girl called Katniss is hunting in the woods when she is suddenly distracted by her longtime best friend turned sexgod, Gale Jacob.
“A pair of strong, tanned legs stands before her, leading up to the broad, commanding form of her oldes
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

There's a certain rivalry between English and History majors . . .

The university I attended required its students to attend a weekly convocation. Several times a year, rather than all of the students meeting formally, we would have interdepartmental gatherings, and once a semester the English and History majors would stuff themselves into the largest classroom in our main building for a *coughs* friendly game of College Bowl.

The outcome of this game determined who got to
KL (Cat)
Honestly, fuck this book and fuck its historical inaccuracies.

Warning: This is basically me being all annoyed and comparing how the book made shit up to actual historical truths.

1. Historical Alexander was hella gay so often; it was ridiculous to the point that sometimes I need to set down whatever material I was reading on him and just gape.

I mean, a) he kissed a boy and he liked it, to misquote Katy Perry.
So there was a dance that Bagoas performed that was apparently so damn fine he agreed t
Maria V. Snyder
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was given an advance reading copy of this book with the hope that I'd like it enough to give it a cover blurb. This one is an epic fantasy with lots of characters, political intrigue, action, and history. The story is mostly about a young Alexander the Great and since Herman is a historian and has written non fiction history books, she really knows the historical setting. It was pretty neat that the setting details were accurate, yet the magic and mystery was all fiction.

I enjoyed it - I did h
Geek Furioso
"Sherlock Holmes de la historia" mis santos cojones.

Este es uno de los peores libros que he leído en mi vida. Es aburrido, costoso de leer, sus personajes son idiotas perdidos y está plagado de inexactitudes históricas cuando está escrito por una supuesta "historiadora". Pienso hacer una video reseña más extensa de este libro, pero ya de momento permitidme decir dos cosas:

1) Herman no sabe cerrar la puta boca. Está tan obsesionada con que su público es idiota y tiene la cabeza tan metida dentro
C.G. Drews
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well. THIS is going to be hard to review. Gee, never let anyone say being a bookworm is easy -- BECAUSE WRITING REVIEWS AND DECIDING RATINGS IS HARD. I really loved this book (it was so epic and fantastical) but I have a small boatload of quibbles with it. Some of them are kind of ridiculous quibbles, but SOME ARE LARGE FRUSTRATED ONES. So yes. But, honestly!? I LIKED IT. And, quibbles aside, that's what's important.

So basically it's a historical, magicy fantasy, about Alexander the Great! Which
Jillian
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Daaaaaaaaaaaamn this was really good. Full review to come
Cinda
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Legacy of Kings is fantasy just the way I like it: a mingling of history, intrigue, romance, murder, and magic. It prompted me to spend time researching an era I know little about--the age of Alexander the Great.
Luce
Aug 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I recieved a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Get ready for the honesty.

This was one of my most anticipated releases of this year. As soon as I heard about it, I wanted it.

Unfortunately, I'm not even going to finish this. I love Alexander the Great. I find him endlessly fascinating. So when I get bored with a book about him after only 17%, there's a problem.

The thing is, this book ISN'T about Alexander the Great. He is just one of five main prot
Adam Silvera
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Fans looking for a YA Game of Thrones should get on this!!
Giselle
An Electronic Advance Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via NetGalley for review. Quotes have been pulled from an ARC and may be subject to change.

This is a retelling of Alexander the Great. Now I don't know much about him or his historic achievements, so I literally went in this with a clear head. No comparing to actual historic texts or even movies. So imagine my surprise that I pretty much fell for it.

There were so many sub-plots woven in that I couldn't really distinguish which one w
Lisa Mandina
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First, thanks to Harlequin Teen for sending an advanced readers copy of this title out to the bookstores, where I was able to grab it at the Barnes and Noble where I work to read. I'd been seeing it around on other blogs on Waiting on Wednesday posts, and it sounded really good. A historical fiction about Alexander the Great as a teenager? Yeah, right? Sounds awesome! And it was! At first it took a bit to get the flow, as there are many characters we are following. But a little ways in I could r ...more
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
HOLY CRAP. IT WAS A CHORE FORCING MYSELF TO FINISH THIS BOOK.

I was looking forward to reading Legacy of Kings, but my hopes and dreams literally feel like they've been crushed from how disappointed I am with this book. It could've been so much better. I feel like the way everything was carried out didn't reach its full potential. The concept itself was different compared to anything else I've read before, but I just think that Eleanor Herman didn't handle this one too well. The opportunity was t
Sophie
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

As soon as I heard about this book, I knew I needed it. If you don't know, I'm currently studying History and Ancient History at university, and recently completed a module on Alexander the Great and the Hellenistic World. To be able to read about a young Alexander, during his regency of Macedon in his father, Philip's, absence, was like a dream come true. Thank you so much, Harlequin Teen, for
Hannah ◇Reader in the Rough◇
2.5 Stars.

This book would have been four stars were it not for:

1) The unnecessary POVs of Jacob and Zophia (though I do like Zophia, her POV detracted from Alexander's story and was too disjointed from what was happening in the rest of the book). Authors: stahpppp with the Jacobs. Jacobs as love interests are overrated (DAMMIT Stephanie Meyer).

2:The games/tournament was stupid (and very copycat, *cough, cough* Hunger Games). And (minor spoiler) is actually pointless and null because of later e
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy, fantasy
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Blending historical fiction with an engaging YA fantasy, Legacy of Kings takes a look at Alexander the Great during his teenage years before his rise to power. And what a rich and fascinating world it was, bringing to life a period in history where Greek royalty practiced the occult, where a 16 year old skilled in war strategy and tactics ran an army, where the world worshipped Greek gods and goddesses.

Although there were ma

Summary (from Goodreads):

Alexander, Macedonia’s sixteen-yea
Marta Álvarez
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es un poco denso, con un ritmo constante, aunque no especialmente ágil. Desde luego, que tenga varios frentes abiertos y cambie constantemente de perspectiva ayuda a mantener el interés. Aún así, me gustaría haber podido leerlo más del tirón.
Me gusta cómo está escrito, y la ambientación histórica/fantástica. Lo que no me he terminado de creer son las relaciones entre personajes.
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was ok

That quote is right … because no question was ever answered in this book.

Legacy of Kings was not a bad book per se, but I found it a confusing, frequently boring one. Perhaps I had high expectations for this novel – hello, it’s about Alexander the Great – and those expectations were just not met. Or maybe this book just wasn’t worth the hype.

Legacy of Kings is a magical fantasy novel full of myth and hi
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie
DNF @ 43 %

Great premise by I got bored after this book became a story about horny teens and a text book on Ancient Greek history and mythology. Nope not for me.
✨ Kaira ✨
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
can't wait to read the sequel.

I love everything about the book except Cyn. I mean, she's a bitch, okay?
Elena
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved so many things about this book but at the same time I feel like it took me ages to get through it. When I was reading it I loved it but as soon as put it down I forgot about it.
Overall I think the characters were interesting and somehow complex and I can not wait to find out how their stories continue !
Caitlin
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read, 4-stars
This book has been sitting on my shelf since January. I randomly found it in Dymocks and it sounded right up my alley so I bought it! However, the reviews I've seen have been pretty bad and a lot of people didn't enjoy this book so I was pretty nervous going into it. I really shouldn't have waited so long to read this book since it was actually pretty great.

My mum and I are huge history buffs - especially ancient history. My mum studied Alexander the Great a lot when she was my age and she alwa
Amber (Books of Amber)
Jan 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: genre-historical
This review was originally posted on Books of Amber

If you have known me for a while then you'll have no trouble recalling that I am a total nerd when it comes to Ancient History. It started when I was five years old with Xena, which I used to watch with my grandparents at all hours of the night, and then the fascination progressed when we studied Egypt, Rome, and Greece in school. And then it became a full blown obsession when I watched Spartacus back in 2011, which then eventually led me to stu

Vilma Iris
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An utterly spellbinding and fascinating mix of magic and history.
Epic in every sense of the word.

From the first time I read the synopsis, I knew this was the kind of book I would devour. Appealing to both my love of history and my love of fantasy, bestselling author Eleanor Herman delivers a fascinating and gripping story with her YA fantasy debut. Known for her historical novels, Herman imbues that same richness and depth in Legacy of Kings, as is evidenced by not only her world building, but a
☙ percy ❧
Feb 23, 2018 marked it as nein-nein-nein  ·  review of another edition
from the best-selling writer of "if achilles and patroclus aren't queer i ain't interested" comes the startling sequel "if alex and hephaistion ain't queer i ain't interested"

kippen (uponthepages)
Thank the Gods I discovered this book. It's been on my shelf for a good while now but I finally was in the mood for a Fantasy novel. In preparation for the sequel coming out this month, I finally picked it up. This cover just screams an epic Fantasy. Eleanor Herman is New York Times bestselling author of nonfiction works including Sex with Kings, Sex with the Queen, Mistress of the Vatican, etc. Not only that, but she also hosted several episodes of Lost Worlds, a History channel TV show. I have ...more
nick
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
2.5/5

I saw pictures of Eleanor Herman at BEA rocking her Ancient Greek attire and thought that she seemed like a really cool author. I promptly looked into the summary of her debut Legacy of Kings and basically wept with joy because it sounded so epic. While the setting and the history themselves were rock solid, I struggled with quite a few elements in Legacy of Kings.

My first issue: the multiple POVs. I'm generally not a fan of multiple POVs, but I've enjoyed a few in the past. In Legacy of Ki
  • Dreamstrider
  • Brazen
  • Tangled Webs (Tangled Webs, #1)
  • Inherit the Stars (Inherit the Stars #1)
  • Becoming Jinn (Becoming Jinn, #1)
  • The Storyspinner (The Keepers' Chronicles, #1)
  • Velvet Undercover
  • Da Vinci's Tiger
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • The Blind Wish (The Jinni Wars, #2)
  • The Cadet of Tildor
  • The Ring and the Crown (The Ring and the Crown, #1)
  • Hold Me Like a Breath (Once Upon a Crime Family, #1)
  • Maid of Secrets (Maids of Honor, #1)
  • Traitor Angels
  • Titans
  • Sisters of Blood and Spirit (The Sisters of Blood and Spirit, #1)
  • Silver in the Blood
New York Times best-seller Eleanor Herman's new non-fiction book, The Royal Art of Poison: Filthy Palaces, Fatal Cosmetics, Deadly Medicine, and Murder Most Foul, is set to come out in June 2018. Think royal palaces were beautiful places to live? Think again!

Herman offers a rare combination of skills for a historian – her research is intensely scholarly, yet she writes the story in a colorful, wit

Blood of Gods and Royals (4 books)
  • Empire of Dust (Blood of Gods and Royals, #2)
  • Reign of Serpents (Blood of Gods and Royals, #3)
  • Dawn of Legends (Blood of Gods and Royals #4)
“Weakness, he has learned, isn't in the arm or the leg or the back. Weakness is in the mind.” 23 likes
“Questions are answered not when you want an answer but when the time for answers is right.” 17 likes