Start by marking “A Gentleman in the Street (The Campbell Siblings, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Gentleman in the Street (The Campbell Siblings, #1)

A Gentleman in the Street

(The Campbell Siblings #1)

Shameless. That’s what she was.

Billionaire businesswoman Akira Mori can get anything and anyone her heart desires. Anyone, that is, except for a certain aloof author who has been dominating her dreams for over a decade. Accustomed to Jacob Campbell’s stern disapproval, Akira has turned provocation into an art, using every trick in her arsenal to keep the man from gues
Published November 24th 2014 (first published November 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Gentleman in the Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gentleman in the Street

Navessa

Feminist, sex-positive erotica that says fuck you to rape culture, slut-shaming, and totally flips the traditional gender roles of the billionaire shiterature that has flooded the market since The Book That Shall Not Be Named was first published.

Need I say more?

Okay, I’ll say more. This book is one of the sexiest things I’ve ever read. Which is saying something, since I’ve read my fair share of both romance and erotica.

The female lead, Akira Mori, is unapologetically sexual. Men, women, multiple p
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ by: ᴍɪᴄs ✖shut me up already✖

3.5 stars. Unconventional. Sex-positive. Anti slut-shaming. Drop-dead funny. Thoroughly enjoyable. Adorable hero. AWESOME heroine. Surprisingly well-written.

Why 3.5 stars, then?

1) Ultimately, no matter how important the messages are - and be sure that the reversal of the traditional gender roles appealed to me a lot - erotica isn't for me. I always feel as if it lacks something, you know? Call it depth, call it plot, call it tension, I don't know - not my thing is all. Keep in mind that 99% of them earn a big flashing 1, though.

2) No judgment here, but I really, reallythough.
well-written.
Why
destini mia
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
"When do you sleep?"
She glanced deliberately at her watch. "Sometime between fucking and ruling the world."

A racially-inclusive, body positive, sex positive, erotica devoid of kink-shaming, body-shaming, and slut-shaming which featured a change from the 'typical', heteronormative sexual roles, with intelligent characters, and a powerful, successful female lead (say that in one breath). And while, to a few, this may sound similar to an organic, gluten-free, dairy-free, GMO-free, vegan guaranteed Whole Foods label,
☆☽Erica☾☆
Gahhhhhhhhh okayyyyy *dying slightly*

This was excellent. A smart and sexy erotic romance that was racially inclusive, sex positive, body positive, devoid of kink shaming, socially progressive, and all around fantastic. On top of all this, the woman in this is the dominant one (although the power became fluid as the relationship progressed) and is a total badass billionaire. She's fiery, powerful, aggressive, and outspoken.

Gahhhhhhhhh okayyyyy *dying slightly*

If you're a human who enjoys sex in any capacity and also doesn't like being offended by douchey characters, this book should be read by you.

Are you feeling sad? This book will get you pumped.

Are you happy? This book will keep you pumped.

Do you not often read erotica? Well you should read this one. Your brain and vagina will thank you.

I've read a ton of erotica, and as the genre goes, this is A++++++ material here. Just be prepared to get really aroused by this. You might want to have your hand/vibrator/trusted acquaintance nearby after you're done.

Feminist erotica for the win.

Mandi Schreiner
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, erotic
Favorite Quote: “When do you sleep?”

This is one dirty book, with a very strong heroine and a grumpy, more serious hero. Thumbs up to this combination!

Akira Mori is very, very rich. She owns nightclubs and bars and is a brilliant business woman. She is known for her orgy filled house parties and wild lifestyle. Jacob Campbell is an author. He doesn’t have many friends and spe
Rose
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
One word: FEMINIST EROTICA.

So, basically, a beautiful gem among some very misogynistic books (not all obviously.)

“You think I’m dirty?”
“I know you’re dirty. I want you in the shower so I can make you filthy.”

Enter Akira: bad-ass business women who doesn’t take shit from anyone and only relies on herself (because she’s always had to). The best part about her though is that she does have a kind heart, she hasn’t let assholes in her life make her too cold or hard- she treats others fairly.

description

“Why do you care?” she asked, confused. “We could easily nev
(becauseobviously.)
Emma
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Okay! I was hopeful. We have an erotica where the heroine is the dark billionaire, while the hero is the one discovering his wild side with her. We have enough depth and great characters, specifically the heroine. So why not a higher rating, there's two aspects in this book stopped me from enjoying it. First, the MCs are in love, but by the end there's an understanding, they would invite others to their bed and participate in orgies. Sex with other people isn't my thing. I don't mind it in the b ...more
Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)

Spoiler tagging the review because this might contain traces of NSFW and I would hate to accidentally soil the sanctity of your Puritanical eyes and whatnot. Oops.

(view spoiler) ...more
Rebekah Weatherspoon
Great interracial romance with an Japanese heroine who is an active bisexual. Super sexy hero who is also a non-traditional family man. This book ticked off about 5 different things on my "want list" for romances in 2015. The writing is smooth, and at times hilarious. The sex scenes are plentiful, but each one is different so you don't find your eyes rolling back in your head waiting for the plot to pick up again. Also the plot is thick as shit, weaving both characters' histories to the present ...more
Ren Puspita
4 stars

Why you must read A Gentleman in the Street by Alisha Rai:
a. Heroine is a billionaire, a rare occupation for any women in Romancelandia (queens, princesses and goddesses don't count)
b. Hero is an author and mix of alpha and beta hero. Also have lumberjack physique appearance
c. Interracial love. Diverse characters for the win!
d. Step sibling love if you like that kind of story. But not ordinary step sibling love of course
e. Mandy and Tori, ladies from Smexy Books, my favorite romance blog read and l/>Why
Tori
This is my first time reading Alisha Rai but certainly not my last.

Full review to come in March issue of RT Book Reviews Magazine
Keertana
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
If Laura Florand were ever to ditch France as a setting and resort to erotica in America, this is probably what she would write. And we all know how I love Laura Florand. A Gentleman in the Street is a romance, through-and-through, but its protagonists will draw you in and keep you turning the pages. Akira, our brilliant heroine, is a businesswoman who has surprised both of her parents with her success. Her mother, recently deceased, has always despised her and her father is largely out of the picture ...more
Sam (AMNReader)
Is this erotica? Family? Romance? Does it freaking matter? It's wonderful.

Those of us that have read Alisha Rai's most recent CR offerings won't be surprised to hear the complexity offered up in her earlier books.
we don't Haze Kati's dates because we're chauvinist pigs and she's the baby girl," Ben explained. "We're all protective of each other."

No Rai fan will be surprised by her feminism or her multicultural POVs, nor her characters enjoying men and women. No surprise that the physical relatio/>
Lea
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is great; it's well-written, the characters are not idiots, and it's definitely not tropey.

I really liked that, for once, the female character was the billionaire businesswoman.

Another great thing about this book is the fact that it is so sex-positive. The female main character sleeps with whoever she wants, however she wants, whenever she wants, and she doesn't apologize for it. She hosts orgies. One of her friends is a male prostitute.

With all that said, I didn't finish
Steelwhisper

Apparently the idea behind this book is to present a "strong heroine" who also is "self-assured", "sex-positive", "independantly rich", not catering to rape culture and essentially feminist in nature.

And this is the result of these plans:

Only apparently few see it for what this really is...

... simply genderswapped shice.

Let's have a closer look and I'll explain what I mean.

And this is the result of these plans:

Only apparently few see it for what this really is...

... simply genderswapped shice.

Let's have a closer look and I'll explain what I mean.

Akira is the typical billionaire - only she's female. She still behaves towards the people around her with the exact same overbearing arrogance that's usually reserved for male billionaires. She exploits the position of (financial) power and agenda she has over others simply due the fact she is rich and can do as she wishes. She is just as much a consumerist arsehole as most male billionaires are in other billionaire novels. Whether male or female - that's not an acceptable person to me, and it doesn't get even the sliver of an inch more acceptable, just because the perp is a woman. I wanted to kick her rich butt hard down the Dover cliff. Preferably over a gravel path.

All the alleged strength she had is based on the amount of money she has wrung from people. A strong person is to me someone, who has inner strength, who has a goodness about themselves, who is benevolent, humane and puts herself or himself last.

With that to the alleged sex-positivity...

Being sex-positive, especially in a feminist context, is NOT being accepting of sex-work. That is the opposite of sex-positive and the opposite of being humane. No, not even if the prostitute is male! The end result of prostitution is always, without fail, a negative one, for the prostitutes and for the society allowing for the objectification of people. That this piece of shit wants to sell me prostitution as sex-positive is something I truly resent. That's downright puke-worthy. And it is something I will keep in mind about an author.

Sex-positive also is not simply applying all negative male sex behaviour to a woman. So sorry. A woman who fucks around in mindless and clueless manner, who changes partners without consideration and plan, who apes male vulgarities and who engages in orgies in typical male manner of never getting enough, is not sex-positive. She is as much an arsehole as the men who do this are. It doesn't change acceptability with gender. It also shows a considerable lack of intelligence and instinct. There's a reason why the vast majority of all people have less than 6 lifetime sexual partners, and that reason has nothing to do with outdated morals or religion, and everything with Darwin.

With which we come to the alleged feminism and absence of rape culture in this book...

Once more, things are gender swapped. Jacob quite clearly wants nothing to do with Akira, he considers her a sibling, and he has strong fatherly/brotherly feelings about siblings. Does she respect this? No, of course not. She behaves just as rapey towards Jacob, as the typical male billionaire behaves towards the women they meet. It's in her mind, it's in her actions, it's in what she says. She practically bullies and harasses him right out of his socks, and - once more - this is FUCKING WELL JUST AS SKEEVY WHEN DONE TO A GUY. That so many readers and reviewers seem to find it perfectly acceptable when a woman does this to a man, even delect in it, is beyond any form of comprehension to me!

Lastly, the book contains liberal and ample amounts and types of degradation, of women by women and by men. Not in any cleanly consensual manner, it's there for titillation and in lieu of what is usually done to the heroine. Here it is done to guests of the heroine instead, sometimes by her and sometimes by friends of hers. And there are vilifications of valid female choices as well, galore. But for a real feminist it is just as acceptable and worthy of support, if a woman wants children and adhere to classic feminine roles. These get vilified here.

That is not feminism. That is just the same thing as male supremacy notions, just uttered by a (very vile) female character.

Thank God Amazon allows me to give back books.
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
This erotic romance is a great gender flipped version of the usual badass sexy billionaire narrative. Rai strikes a great balance of plenty of sexy times 🔥🔥🔥 but also ample doses of 💓. Tbh, it was actually a little TOO wild for me at times (group sex and BDSM just aren't my things) but I am sure others would love it. I really liked how feminist and sex-positive this book was, and how it dealt with the male character's journey of realizing having feminist principles didn't necessarily always mean ...more
Zoe
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers, favorites
I can't believe I forgot to post a review when I finished this book, because it rocked my world in the biggest way. And now I'm obsessed with all things lumbersexual, which I'm not complaining about, of course.

This was a 6 star read, and I don't think I've ever said that about a book before. I liked everything about it, from the way Akira teases Jacob to the steely way he turns the table on her when he finally figures out it's okay to want her.

And then HOW he wants her. And she want
Liz
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemp-rom
This wasn't a bad book, it just wasn't the book for me. I liked Akira: supremely in charge of her life and sexuality. The sex scenes were pretty over the top and well done (definitely adventurous, so kudos for that!). But I thought the conflict was thin and didn't drive the story quite enough. I mean, I understand that family can scar you but to make that the whole problem? I guess I just didn't 'buy' it. I took another chance hoping to find something enjoyable outside my usual genre choices and ...more
Taryn Pierson
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't read in the romance genre that often, but sometimes the mood strikes and I just want a light, breezy read that I know will end happily. I've read sweet romances and enjoyed them (Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie is the most recent, and it's a total delight), but I hadn't read anything with much of an edge to it.

I can't say that anymore.

I heard about A Gentleman in the Street o
Michelle
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The blurb of this book really gives you a great insight as to what to expect with this story. Akira is a bit icy, but with good reason as you learn about the way she was raised and our silent and responsible Jacob has lost his edge playing Mr. Mom for over a decade, but I did not expect the explosive sexual tension nor the sexual debauchery that was unleashed!

I found that I did really enjoy this story although I did not find myself loving the characters. Typically I need to really latch onto the characters
Fatima
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it
OKAY, this was an unexpected little surprise because I'm one of those people who nitpicks and simply cannot stand adult eroticas - not because I'm a prude, but because all of the fan fiction I've read has ruined every sex scene that a published author writes. Seriously. I find all of the sex scenes in published novels so cringey and unrealistic, which is SO WEIRD, BUT THAT'S BESIDES THE POINT OF THIS REVIEW.

This book was everything that I hate about adult eroticas done right. It's body positive
Pang
I'm so in the mood for Good Guy and Wild Girl romance right now, and this is a really good one! It is refreshing to read about mega successful heroine instead of the hero, since I don't find this often in the romance genre.

I've searching for a romance with proactive heroine for quite long and Akira, god I love this girl! She is lively, sassy, bitchy and strong. She is a woman I wanna be, a very rich successful bussinesswoman, skillful in her career and intelligent!

Jacob, this good guy? I love h
Sharon L
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Sex positive, feminist, anti slut-shaming.
The fact the woman is the billionaire is another thing to love, the fact she's more experienced than the guy and is confident of her sexuality is another bonus. The fact the guy isn't intimidated by all that is a great thing.
I could love this book.

but I didn't. I appreciate this book, I like it. but I do not love it. why?
this is erotica but I didn't find it hot, the plot was too slow and a little meaningless, and I did have a problem with characteriz
Dee
I have no idea why I thought this story was about a domme. Akira is not a domme but she is a take charge woman. A woman who came across as ruthless but beneath the tough exterior there's a bigger story. Most people who've strived for their parents approval, as much as they've tried to pretend they don't care will find themselves able to relate to her.

Jacob -be still my heart! What a complex character, complete with being a gentlemen in the street, sexy deviant between the sheets! Aki
Jen
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fv, rai
Jacob and Akira

Well that could have been the dirtiest book I read this year. Oh my. Full review to come on Fiction Vixen Book Reviews
Yajaira
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book you guys!!! Gah! Just yes. Smart, funny, sexy, with an awesome and sexy heroine. Im totally crushing on Akira! And Jacob. Le fucking sigh that man is perfection. Full review to come once I get my hormones to cool down.
Jeanne
Review coming, after I recover.
Amy
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ve really enjoyed the other Alisa Rai’s books that I’ve read so I was eager to read this one which is the first in the Campbell Siblings series. It took me awhile to connect with this one. It’s pretty provocative from the start. If you don’t like sexy, skip this one. LOTS of sexy. But, I did come to really enjoy the story itself and the characters at its center. This is edgy romance at it’s best. Rai is such a wonderful storyteller. She brings people and stories to life in such a beautiful way ...more
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
A little too erotica themed for my tastes, but the characters were so wonderfully written and the whole book was so joyfully feminist that it definitely deserves 4 stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Sated (Fit Trilogy, #3)
  • Craving Flight
  • Ein
  • A Wish Upon Jasmine (La Vie en Roses, #2)
  • Hold Me Down (Carolina Girls, #1)
  • True Pretenses (Lively St. Lemeston Book 2)
  • Hold Me (Cyclone, #2)
  • By the Hour (Pleasure Principle, #2)
  • The Corrupt Comte (The Bourbon Boys Quartet, #1)
  • Have Mercy
  • Afternoon Delight (Irresistible, #1)
  • Brutal Game (Flynn and Laurel, #2)
  • Tikka Chance on Me
  • Taken (Under the Skin, #3)
  • My Beautiful Enemy (The Heart of Blade Duology, #2)
  • Take the Lead (Dance Off, #1)
  • The Principle of Desire (Science of Temptation, #3)
  • Stay Until We Break (Hub City, #2)

The Campbell Siblings (2 books)
  • The Right Man for the Job (The Campbell Siblings, #2)
“I mean you can be with the person, but still be yourself. You can be happy to be yourself. It’s very…nice,” her grandmother had said quietly. “When you’re with a person who is content to let you be. It’s the most peaceful thing in the world.” 4 likes
“He shot her an incredulous glance. “When do you sleep?” She glanced deliberately at her watch. “Sometime between fucking and ruling the world.” 2 likes