Start by marking “It's Christmas Everywhere But Here” as Want to Read:
It's Christmas Everywhere But Here

It's Christmas Everywhere But Here

Christmas brings dreams of peace, love, and family time for most. Sadly, Russell Moore isn’t so blessed. Since his coming out and marriage prompted a less-than-joyful reaction from his religious parents, Russ has kept his distance to avoid their conservative disapproval. With his husband David deployed overseas for the second Christmas in a row, Russ gives in to the loneli ...more
Published December 3rd 2014 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about It's Christmas Everywhere But Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Christmas Everywhere But Here

Kaje Harper
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is not really a romance, although there are two men in love here. It's a story about family, in its whole array of joy and imperfections. Russell has been taking care of his husband's two children, Emily (10) and Austin (7), for two years while his husband David was deployed overseas. He's become a true father to the children, although he's only been around for four years of their lives. Austin has Asperger's and the key to helping him thrive is keeping things routine, predictable and safe ...more
Ami
4.5 stars!

To everyone who understands that a parent’s
honest love and concern can hurt like hell

My initial reaction when I reached about 1/3rd of this book was: “OMG, THIS IS SO F*CKING GOOD!” It was different but different was good. Heck, different was great! The story just hit all my buttons in one easy stride. First, I’m a sucker for an established couple. Second, I’m a sucker for a family story — with all the ups and downs without completely being too black and white (PS: That’s why I don’t like stories with parents kicstars!
To
Mark
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this gem of a Story from Liam Grey. A story about family and coming home for Christmas.

Ever wondered what Christmas and family is all about? Is it about blood relations or unconditional love? Well, here we have Russell who's husband David is overseas with the military and is looking after their two children Emily (10) and Austin (7). They are David's children, but Russell has become their second dad or Papa as they call him and he has taken them with him to his parents for Christmas as his husband is
UnusualChild{beppy}
Rating: 5 stars

Review: Russ, who is kind of estranged from his parents, since they don't approve of him being gay, agrees to spend the holidays with them when his husband doesn't have leave for the second year in a row. His husband's children, who they have custody of, have never met his parents. Russ isn't sure how his time at home is going to go, but he refuses to let his mother upset their children, even if it means telling her things she doesn't want to hear.
I thought that
Chris, the Dalek King
This was the first Christmas book I read this year and boy did it set the bar high. I had no idea going in that the children were going to play a big role in the story-–which is a good thing because I tend to avoid those stories like the plague–-but as I read I couldn’t help myself falling in love with Russell and his two stepchildren.

Russell’s husband, David, is still deployed overseas so Russell takes their kids to his parent’s house for Christmas. But what should have been a relaxing time with family is complicate
Deeze
4.5

It's not often a story hits all my plus buttons but this one sure did. I adored this story from start to finish.

Russell grabbed me from the start. I felt for him as he struggled to cope with his mother.

The kids in this were so real for me. I loved how they were portrayed.

Meeting David completed this family and left me with a warm happy glow.

Now for my niggle. I can't help but feel this is only the HEA of a much longer story, an
Elci
4.5*

It's so so so awesome when a book pops up on my feed (Booklikes) and the review just catches my eye. In this case, it led me to this book and all I can say is I'm glad.

The only thing I'd like is a prequel. It'd be great to find out how Russel and Dave met, how the children handled a new dad, how Dave became a full time dad... just little questions.

Great great read.
Candice
What a wonderful, feel good story. This one was just a perfect read for me and just left me with a great feeling. I can't really point to anything in particular that made this such a good read, it was just the whole story.
Anke
Oct 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Perhaps 3.5 stars

First half of the book I was waiting for Russ to pack up all his stuff and the kids and just return home for some quiet time. Second half of the book was way better.

First half 2 stars, second half 4 stars. Bonus half star for the ending.
MsMiz (Tina)
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was amazing in every way. If you would like a really good and accurate review - go see Kaje;)
Sadonna
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, holidays, mm, pdf
This was my first story from this author.

Well all I can say is Russ has a LOT more patience than I would have. What kind of a rock has this mother been living under that she has such a lack of knowledge of any autism spectrum disorders that she directly goes against the explicit instructions of the parent and then turns it around on said parent when she sets off a firestorm reaction? I think I would have been out of there like a shot - especially after finding out what a wonderful support set o
Jax
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holiday, 3-star
This was a very real-feeling depiction of parenting, including dealing with the special needs of a child on the spectrum. The draining battles between Russ and his disapproving mother were uncomfortably real too. He was way more patient with her than I could ever be.

I enjoyed this story, but was put off by David calling Russ ‘lover’. That just never sounds natural to me (think the SNL skits with Will Ferrel and Rachel Dratch) and he does it twelve times. Twelve. It just threw me right out o
Lala
2.75 stars.

This wasn't actually a romance..or a light-hearted Christmas read. Lots of family drama, extremely despicable mother of the MC, an exhausted father of two kids and his even more exhausted soldier husband. It was quite a bleak read, and I felt like it should have been much longer, providing the backstory for the main couple, and the process of their healing/settling back into a normal life.

Andrea
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Anyone with kids is going to relate to this book. There were so many times when I knew exactly what those situations felt like. It perfectly depicted real life but also included the heartwarming moments I'm looking for in a holiday story.
Tess
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday-romance
Hmm, I felt like I was reading about my own mom here (minus the ultra religious/no drinking aspects)! It was a real honest portrait of a family's struggles. I enjoyed this, but wouldn't read it as a romance. I am curious about if a prequel is in the works to show how Russ and Dave fell in love.
Keveen
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it
2.75 STARS

This book was a good read but there was just one thing I didn't like that brought down my rating to that and I'll talk about it later in this review.

Russell was a father to David's two kids. David was his husband who served in the military. I really liked how established they were as a family and how real it was. I thought the two kids were written really great. Russell was a great father except for one tiny thing I didn't approve of.

Russell obviously was no
Janie
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
While this wasn't truly a romance book, it was a beautiful story of 2 married guys with children who are spending a 2nd Christmas apart due to one of them being deployed. This book broke my heart for both the guys, but especially Russ. He was doing his absolute best to give the kids a great holiday while David is gone, but Russ' mother is a complete freaking hag who it seems to me tries everything to nit pick everything Russ does and to disregard his marriage at ever turn. I will say after all t ...more
AquaScales
Headline: Needs a prequel. I even did a search on the author to find the first story. Nothing. But the characters are so established? I really liked this despite having the feeling of landing with no introductions. If you are not into family stories or kids, then this isn't for you. I LOVE them. This is an already established couple dealing with the military and parents that are not fully accepting. So not so mch the falling in love but the holding on through life and adversities. this does a ni ...more
Pjm12
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Realistic, grounded Christmas story, centring on family. Russ' feelings of loneliness are clear, with Dave, his husband missing the last two Christmases while he is stationed overseas. The situation is not being helped by Russ' judgemental mother, determined to dictate the way Dave's (& Russ') children should behave in her house.

With his patience wearing thin, Russ has to somehow navigate his way through the next four days.

Although this made me sad, it also made me cheer and cel
Suzy
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
First time I've read anything by this author and I really enjoy it, he has a great style of writing that makes for easy reading.

This was a short and sweet Christmas story but Liam certainly managed to cover many topics - disapproving parent, military spouse, kids (one having aspergers) but it didn't come across as too much, all fit well within the story.

Would have been interested to know how Russ and David got together and how David came to have the kids but overall I rea
Arthur
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book's message is about adjusting expectations. I expexted this to be about mm romance, but it's more like a public service announcement about how to raise kids with Asperger's Syndrome.

I also think Russ doesnt really adjust his expectations toward his mother. He knew his mother's personality and beliefs, yet he expected her to change and got angry when she didn't. It was his expectations that the mother would change.

Hence, the low ratings. Probably because I didn't adjust my expectation
Alisa
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was the first book I've read by this author and I will definitely be reading more. It was well done and packed a lot of punch despite it's shorter page count. It focuses on Russ who is struggling to get through Christmas while his husband is deployed and he deals with two young children (one with Aspergers). My heart really went out to Russ and I thought the author did a great job of showing the strain of single parenting with special needs kids. It had a lovely, happy ending.
Erin
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, fiction, m-m
I wanted to do the Snoopy dance when I finished this one! I found a great new author, who can tell a great story and create wonderful, realistic characters. He can even twist a few tears out of me, and that's a feat! Thank you, Liam Grey, for a wonderful story! I look forward to more books in the future. Also, a true to life portrait of life with someone with Ausperger's, not something just anyone can do, so thank you again!
Lynnette Hartwig
I completely enjoyed this book. I loved how the children were a big part of the story and absolutely loved the HEA.
⚣Michaelle⚣
All the Stars. All of them.

This is everything a slice of life, holiday-themed story should be. So fucking good. So achingly real.
Ricardo
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars

Man, I SO liked this story. The characters were so engaging and real, the dialogue flowed, and the plot was pretty good despite it being a short story. I even had one of my moments when I wish I had the ability to go into a book as a guest character so I could start slapping Doris and maybe even feed her a bottle of sleeping pills to put everybody else out of their misery. Also, I didn’t quite get why David and Russell needed to use condoms if they were a comitted couple b
Lucy
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book that left me with some questions. Randomly, I really wanted to know more about the backstory of Em and Austin. Was David with a woman? Did he adopt? Surrogate? After four years together, why are David and Russ still using condoms? (I told you, random) Why did Doris have them for Christmas when she so clearly disapproves (I'm sorry, but you aren't compromising when you refuse to allow a married couple to sleep in the same room).

I really liked the way Austin was portra
llv
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.5
I am not a big fan of holiday stories but I absolutely loved this one. It was really nice to read a book about real people dealing with real life situations. I felt I could identify with Russell and everything he went through with his family visit. I liked the fact that Russell stood up to his mother and told her that compromise works both ways. I felt that David's homecoming was handled in a very realistic manner. In fact, I felt most of the book was really true to life. I high
Donna
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reality with a touch of romance... yep, that about says it all! Life is full of difficult choices and as Russ realized, you can't please the unpleasable. You just have to decide what is best for you and your family and let the cards fall where they may. I plan on finding more stories by this author in the very near future! This may have not been a "happy, happy... joy, joy" story, but it was like a warm hug by the end! *sigh*
Dreamspinner Press: It's Christmas Everywhere But Here by Liam Grey 1 6 Dec 04, 2014 10:28PM

• Feathers From the Sky
  • Gaudete
  • The Family We're Born With (Finding Family, #1)
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • The Holiday Hoax
  • Miracle of the Bellskis (Holidays with the Bellskis, #2)
  • Vixen's Valor (North Pole City Tales, #3)
  • A Prairie Dog's Love Song
  • Alaska (2013 Advent Calendar - Heartwarming)
  • A Lion in Tails (2013 Advent Calendar - Heartwarming)
  • The Healing Power of Eggnog
  • One Holiday Ever After
  • Grumble Monkey and the Department Store Elf
  • The Douglas Fir
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
  • Dust of Snow
  • Making His List
  • Comfort and Joy
Liam Grey is a numbers and data nerd by day, an aspiring author and hopeful romantic by night. Both his parents and his teachers fostered an early love of books, though it's doubtful any of them imagined it leading to him writing gay romance. He currently resides in the Pacific Northwest, and is in love with the mutable weather and landscape (though his sinuses politely decline to comment.)