Start by marking “Crow Moon (Crow Moon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crow Moon (Crow Moon, #1)

Crow Moon

(Greenworld Trilogy #1)

Danny is a fun-loving 16-year-old looking for a father figure and falling in love with a different girl every day. He certainly doesn't want to follow in his mum's witchy footsteps.

Just as his community is being threatened by gangs intent on finding a lucrative power source to sell to the world, Danny discovers he is stunningly powerful. And when he falls for Saba, a gorge
Published March 5th 2015 by Quercus

To ask other readers questions about Crow Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crow Moon

Start your review of Crow Moon (Crow Moon, #1)
✨    jamieson   ✨
DNF @ 60%. I couldn't do it anymore. I just couldn't

STRAP IN Y'ALL. YOU'RE ABOUT TO SEE A DRAG.

This book is a reminder to everyone:
1: not trust the popular goodreads reviews for books
2: not judge a book by its cover

I'm not gonna lie, I had hope for this book going in. It was a great cover (sorry I can't help it covers matter to me a bit), the premise sounded interesting, it had male witches and I'd seem some really good reviews on it.

But I hate it

Like I truly actually had a strong desir
Lucy Powrie
When you first hold a copy of your most anticipated read of the year in your hands, it fills you with dread. You think to yourself: will I like it? What if I hate it? Sometimes, though, you’ve just got to have a little faith.

In McKerrow’s debut novel, the world is split in two. There is the Greenworld – think environmentally friendly and self-sufficient - and the Redworld. The Redworld is your worst nightmare – filled with gangs, it’s made up of the people intent on finding a power source to sel
Cora Tea Party Princess
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
5 Words: Magic, survival, family, love, responsibility.

At the beginning I wasn't sure what to think.

This book doesn't really start slowly with a gentle introduction. You are thrust right into the heart of a green oasis in the middle of a ravaged world. And then you're surrounded by magic and superstition and danger.

And it's fantastic.

And more than a little bit weird at times.

I was so caught up in this world that when I finished the book I just sat and blinked and stared around a bit.

The best thi
Andreea Pop
Feb 18, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: cover-love
That is one heck of a cover.
Virginie (chouettblog)
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I decided to treat myself to “Crow Moon” after it was recommended by a fellow blogger. It was also an attempt to see what the continually emerging world of UKYA has to offer, and if Crow Moon is anything to go by then the literary world needs to be ready because the UK has something very unique.

In a nutshell, “Crow Moon” is about witches and magic. And I know what you’re going to say:” Yeah, yeah, been there done that!”, well not like Anna McKerrow did, I can assure you.

Here, you will not meet y
-ˋˏc a i s e eˎˊ-
Feb 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
ACTUAL RATING IS 1.5 CROOKED STARS
Alright, now this was very, very disappointing for me. I was so excited when I found this book in the library, but damn... Besides the pretty cover, Crow Moon had nothing going for it. The MC was seedy, the general plot was boring, and by God there were some weird lines- my absolute favourite would be, "...but I rub her kiss into my cheek like a salve anyway. A salve for horniness. Rub in twice a day to the afflicted area for the best effect. My cheek isn't the
Bee
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ukya
Actual rating: 2.5
It was okay, but I couldn't connect with the hormone-filled male protagonist.
Lu Hersey
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In a not too distant future, Britain is divided into Red World and Green World. Red World is the consumer driven, polluting part we'd all recognise, while Green World is Devon and Cornwall, a land of eco living and non polluting self sufficiency, cut off from the rest of Britain.
In a world warring over remaining resources and where the future is uncertain, Danny, the hero of Crow Moon, has grown up in the relatively peaceful security of Green World. His mother's a powerful witch - but like many
Agroca AWOL
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is certainly awesone.
Russell Sanderson
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book set in a near future where the remnants of modern society - the Redworld - have descended into crime, anarchy and war for the last remaining scraps of fuel. Meanwhile a community that has rejected consumerism, waste and violence has flourished in Devon and Cornwall - the Greenworld, an agrarian, Wiccan society, ruled by benevolent witches and living an environmentally sustainable life.

Sixteen year old Danny is the son of a head witch, who gets himself into trouble and has to tra
Luna
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: uk-authors
There is a sequel to Crow Moon which is out in March 2016 so this is not a standalone book. However while the ending does set you up for what is to come, you’re not left hanging.

width="420"

Anna McKerrow is very thorough is creating the Greenworld her characters live in. It’s an intricate environment, richly described, giving the reader a good understanding of the history and the magic that is so important. I liked the world building, it does mean that Crow Moon isn’t a quick read (at least it wasn’t for
Sofia
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
It took me so long to finish this book. Not because it wasn’t good. It was so very good but I just simply was not in the mood to read a fantasy book. However, in the last couple of days I committed myself to finishing it and I’m so happy I did. I loved the whole book for many reasons.

The first reason has to be because of the world. The world that Anna McKerrow has created is unique and just so wonderful to read about. I loved how we learnt more about the world as the book went on. There wasn’t a
Sal
This was a really interesting read, different and refreshing. Funny and charming protagonist and a very cool world. I just wasn't in favor of the romance, it was kind of insta-lovey. I do look forward to the sequel though.
Eimear
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Quercus for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review.

Although it took me longer to read this book than I would have liked, due to coursework for college, I really enjoyed it. The narrative is fast paced, action packed and really held my attention, the characters are unusual and varied. McKerrow has found a really solid balance between action, magic and romance which works really effectively.

My favourite aspect of this book is the world and magic system that
Katrina Waldman
I'm big follower of Lucy Powrie, mostly on Twitter. I'd seen this book couple of times around the Blogosphere, but it was her constant recommendations of it that really made me take note. It's UK YA to start with, set in England (namely Cornwall & Devon) and feels mostly Dystopian (due to the division between the 'live off the land' Greenworld and the 'fighting for Fuel' Redworld) with a large dash of Fantasy thrown in. The thing that really caught my attention was the inclusion of witches: Atha ...more
Beth Bonini
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
So many good things in this book!
What I really liked:

The setting: not quite dystopic nor post-apocalyptic, but something close to each. The premise is that the world has nearly run out of fossil fuels, and a group of environmentally conscious people have claimed the southwest country of England (Devon and Cornwall) as a "Greenland" devoted to the old ways. The old ways don't just include organic farming and a low-carbon lifestyle; they also include magic. Witches rule here, with their herbal rem
Shannon
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Check out my full review over on my blog Click Here!

------

A huge thank you to Quercus for sending me a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and loved the magical elements of the story. This is a great UKYA novel and I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel which is being released in spring 2016.

The characters in this novel are extremely vivid and fun to read about. I enjoyed reading the story from the perspective of Danny, our young protagonists, and I enj
Saruuh Kelsey
Crow Moon brings to life the witchcraft and enchantment of Cornwall, and tells the story of Danny, the son of a witch, as he struggles to balance romance and responsibility.

I liked Crow Moon. It has a serious atmosphere about it, a tense, temperamental tone that I loved. I've not read anything set in Cornwall and Devon before, but it gave this book a definite gothic undertone that made everything darker, more enticing.

Sadly, the characters didn't do much for me. Danny was selfish, thoughtless, a
Francesca
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Crow Moon is a fantastic and refreshing novel. The premise is that fighting over coal and oil has resulted in two separate communities - the Greenworld, a pagan society in the South West of England and the Redworld, rife with crime and consumerism. Tensions between the two are rising. What I enjoy about this concept is that it's not to far away to be accessible - with our non-renewable resources rapidly dwindling, it's a fantasy firmly rooted in reality, and this makes it more convincing.

I also
Beth Kemp
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous UK fantasy set in an ecopagan community. I loved and was irritated by Danny in almost equal measure, which shows what a well-realised character he is! The setting and world building is a real strength. It's easy to imagine Devon and Cornwall splintering off from the materialistic 'Redworld' and founding a 'Greenworld' haven. Can't wait for the next instalment (but I'll have to - it's a year away!!!) Fuller review coming soon...

More considered view:
This is a really contemporary fantasy,
Theresa
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Crow Moon fabulous read about magic, loyalty, acceptance, betrayal, survival and family. I thoroughly enjoyed the premise of the book with the Redworld (gangs etc) and Greenworld (clean living and nature) and the battle between the two worlds. The only down side for me was the main character Danny I just couldn't bond with him and his arrogance, I know he is only sixteen but he drove me mad lol not enough to stop me reading the next book though.
Kirsty
Feb 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
Not for me at this time. Struggling with anything supernatural at the moment. Leaving and may come back to.
Elly
Oct 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Didn't enjoy this at all. I couldn't finish it. Wish there was a no star rating
Vicki
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
With the advent and success of the Harry Potter series many young adult authors have tried to capture that audience. Anna McKerrow's book does a uniquely refreshing job of this.

The world is divided in two - Greenworld and Redworld. Greenworld is an enviro-friendly place where people have learned to live without fossil fuels, polution, and help from the outside. Witches protect the villages. Redworld is a world of wars, lawlessness, and struggles for food and fuel.

As the witches teach a teenage
Dan Wadey
Jul 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF @ 30%

“MaGiC jUsT gOt ReAl” I read in a mocking tone.

I am weak, I know, but I couldn’t do this to myself any longer. The concept is there but it’s weak and the characters are just the rotten cherry on top. Danny is a pile of garbage and if I ever met a man like him I’d kick him in his goonads. He made my skin crawl. So glad I got the courage to pack this one in.

Also there’s instalove which is just a no no in literature nowadays. Please stop doing this authors. IMO I don’t think you should r
Shannon Godwin
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really didn't know what to expect when I started this book. The author is new to me but I like reading PNR books and anything along that line so I was willing to jump into the book. It starts off right in the middle of things. There is not build up and it does not drag at the beginning.
I did enjoy the book and I am ready to jump on into the next one. Witches and magic.... Yep had my attention from the beginning. Love the cover also!!
Katie
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This book would have been better if I liked the main character more. It's probably realistic with how teenage boys are, but his treatment of girls and cocky attitude just really annoyed me. However, I can understand that main characters have flaws; otherwise how do they grow? It took me a while to get into the book, but about halfway through the pace quickened and it became more of an adventure. I'd be interested to read the second one.
Steff
May 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
I hate not completing book and it's very rare I give up.. especially as I feel I could have easily finished this in one day, but I just couldn't keep going with this one. Besides the cover, which I absolutely loved, I couldn't get into the style of writing, setting, find the 'magic' or keep an interest of the character developments; since majority of what I read was simply characters cheating on each other which was beyond frustrating. Definitely not for me.
Jo
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyed it, some really appealing images and ideas. Will read the next one.
Bernadette Lemon
Feb 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
Not a fan, got bored and gave up unfortunately. Made it about a third of the way through.
Read UKYA: Thoughts Beforehand 5 25 Apr 04, 2015 07:00AM

• The Thinking Engine (Sherlock Holmes)
  • I'm Traveling Alone (Holger Munch & Mia Kruger, #1)
  • White Silence (Elizabeth Cage, #1)
  • Dream London
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • Lies We Tell Ourselves
  • The Love Hypothesis
  • Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3)
  • Heart-Shaped Bruise
  • Visions of Sugar Plums (Stephanie Plum, #8.5)
  • Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)
  • High Five (Stephanie Plum, #5)
  • The Death House
  • Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)
  • Wives and Daughters
  • Tolkien: A Look Behind the Lord of the Rings
  • Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7)
  • The Elfstones of Shannara  (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #2)
Anna McKerrow has written poetry, children’s and adult books. She lives in London and is originally from the West Country, which gave her accent a subtle (yet noticeable) pirate twang as well as a love of cream teas and all things mystical.

She is an eclectic pagan witch and feminist who also loves crocheting blankets while watching episodes of Miss Marple. Anna loves mythology, magic, tarot, punk,

Greenworld Trilogy (3 books)
  • Red Witch (Crow Moon, #2)
  • WILD FIRE (Greenworld Trilogy Book 3)

News & Interviews