Start by marking “How to Beguile a Duke (How To, #1)” as Want to Read:
How to Beguile a Duke  (How To, #1)

How to Beguile a Duke

(How To #1)

The spirited Catherine Malboeuf has just arrived in England to reclaim her ancestral home, Walsley Manor, and a valuable missing heirloom. Nicholas Adair, the attractive and frustratingly inflexible Duke of Boulstridge, however, is quite unwilling to sell the estate back to Catherine. Unless, of course, she accepts a small wager...

Nick will sell Walsley Manor if—and only i
Published December 8th 2014 by Entangled Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about How to Beguile a Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Beguile a Duke

Start your review of How to Beguile a Duke (How To, #1)
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Bleh. It was ok. The romance happened all of the sudden. I felt like they were just phoning it in.
Khulood
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014, arc
It has been years since I read any historical romance novels, so when I read the blurb of this book and found it intriguing, I decided to give it a go.

Catherine Malboeuf, the daughter of a French man (falsely known as a pirate) and an English woman, grew up with nightly stories of her great-grandmother's tiara. Armed with those stories and the hopes of finding her great-grandmother's journal to find the hidden tiara, she embarks on a journey to England to find it (the tiara), and reclaim owners
Kathie (katmom)
HAPPY RELEASE DAY!!!

Catherine is something else. She's certainly no lady, at least she doesn't act like one! Nick, the Duke, knows how ladies should act, and none of the ones he's met ever had a cutlass in their skirt.

She's pretty intriguing that way. He never knows what she's going to do next. Catherine really tries to be the perfect lady, but she slips every now and then. She takes her shoes off every chance she gets! She's also been known to slip in through a window. Yes, definitely not a la
Insh
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
“There is always room for me to lower my opinion of someone.
It is much more difficult to convince me to raise it.”

this book was like -_-
i honestly dont know!!1
sometimes it was good, thrilling even.
then again at certain parts it was just well too fast paced. like what???
honestly, feels like the author didn't put too much of effort.
but then again it could just be me.
Inishowen Cailín
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Regency era romance, a rich duke, mystery and suspense! What more could a girl ask for?! A perfect blend of everything I enjoy in a novel. Well written with the classic wit that encapsulates the genre of Regency Romance.
I loved the Darcy-esque proposal and the fiesty Catherine's response! Brilliant.
Patty McKenna Van Hulle
A breeches wearing American heiress, an ANAL & ARROGANT Duke, a missing Russian tiara, mysterious mayhem & PULL THE FIRE ALARM NAUGHTINESS! What more do y'all need!

Miss Catherine Malboeut is an American heiress, her dad is known as a Pirate (really a shipping magnate) who supposedly kidnapped & then married her mom, as she & her dying mom fled England. Catherine was raised by 2 loving & caring parents & she grow up in the Bahamas & New Orleans. She is more at home & comfy in breeches, without sh
Kiltsandswords
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How to Beguile a Duke by Ally Broadfield

I love when I start a book and I know how it is going to end. That may sound strange, but with historical romance novels, you KNOW there has to be a happily ever after. We meet Catherine and Nick and you know they will end up together, but it’s the pieces of the puzzle that is so exciting. How will their adventure play out? Will he chase her? Will she chase him? Will they have exploding passion? Will they have insurmountable odds to get over in order to be
Vera Neves (Sinfonia dos Livros)
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks-ing
4,5 *****

This is the first book where the review will be published first in English and then in Portuguese. This is because the ebook was sent to me for reading and subsequent publication of opinion directly by Entangled, since the book will be released by the 8th of December.
Let's talk about the book? Let's go!
First of all, I have to say that I liked it a lot is an understatement. The characters, the plot, locations, descriptions and the fact that it is a period of romance only helped that I li
Lee
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love a historical novel that can take me back to a bygone era where everything was so proper, where a lady could not be alone with a man without a chaperone, where there was a strict code of conduct, of manners and ways a lady should behave, where your heritage and standing in society meant everything. I also love a story with mystery and a few twists and turns and How the Beguile a Duke really fit the bill for me.

Nick was an intriguing character who, at every turn, tried to be far removed fro
Pansy
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Historical romances are so much fun. That proper and inflexible London society that makes it such a challenge for everyone to try and break the rules – without getting caught. So much fun.

So when Catherine Malbeouf comes to town from the “New World” it is little wonder that society looks at her with their noses in the air. Especially since they are all sure her father was a pirate and refused to believe otherwise. Someone said, so it must be true. Even when Catherine does everything right, as so
Jasmyn
I absolutely adored Catherine. She was an incredible woman full of bravery and sass. She understand most social etiquette, but would just rather speak her mind and do things her own way. As she makes her way through the ton, she attracts much attention, but not the kind she really wants. But the isn't her primary agenda. She's out to solve a mystery - she needs to find a lost heirloom and the man with the key to finding it doesn't seem to interested in helping her out.

This man is the Duke of Bou
C.M. Stone
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are three things I expect a romance novel to do for me, at a minimum: it needs to make me laugh, it needs to make me cry, and it needs to make me melt.

Having just finished How to Beguile a Duke, I'm torn between doing all three at once. Catherine is a wonderful heroine whom I just wanted to hug and save from all the rumors and judgement around her. Nick is a very nearly perfect hero in every way. I really believed these two falling in love and I also really believed in everything that was
Isha Coleman
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
How to Beguile a Duke by: Ally Broadfield
What a surprise. Although a little slow in some areas and not enough detail in others--VERY ENJOYABLE. I love to read books where the main characters are slightly unconventional. Makes the story more believable. Catherine may be unique and Nick may be arrogant but love happens when least expected.
Gwessie Tee
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Naughtiness 4*

Utterly fantastic read. Fell in love with the story and was completely captivated, Ally is a fairly new author to me but wow I will most certainly be collecting as many of her books for my teetering to be read pile as I am definitely a fan now.

I never give away spoilers you can get a brief description from the blurb but there is so much more to this book and all is not as it seems, whilst we have our hero and heroin and a romance there is a great deal of story to enjoy and escape i
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Jane Silhouette
How to Beguile a Duke by Ally Broadfield

Description

Nelle Nazario
Originally published on Nelle's Nightstand

What does a feisty, breeches wearing, American heiress have in common with a stuffy, hermit of an English Duke?! He's living in her ancestral home! And she wants it back, including a mysterious tiara rumored to have belonged to Empress Elizabeth of Russia.

Nicholas "Nick" Adair, Duke of Bolstridge, has holed up in a an estate, Walsley Hall, that he has spent the past year refurbishing. He is essentially in hiding after spending most of his life involved i
KyBunnies
Originally posted at Bunny's Review

Historical romance or historical fiction is my favorite. I will read most anything in these to genre.

For me this book starts out a little slow but half way thru chapter 3 I was quickly pulled in and the story refused to releases me until I had finished reading.

At one time many American females travelled to England with the hopes of snaring a titled husband. This book elaborated on this and provided a fun read.

Catherine is a spirited female and does not seem to
Just another reader
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
A digital copy of this book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.

This is a lovely historical romance read with an intriguing plot. The tale revolves around Catherine Malboeuf, who is a descendant of mixed parentage - her father being French and monther, English, returns to England to find her great-grandmother's tiara, about which she has heard a lot as she grew up, and also to reclaim her mother's ancestral property. She is taken aback when the owner of the property, Nicholas Ad
Mandy
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
4.5 stars. I don't normally read historical novels but thought this one sounded really interesting. It did not disappoint. This was so much more than just a historical romance. There were interesting, well thought out characters, mystery and suspense. Also, I really enjoyed the romance - I felt it was a slow build up and really developed the connection between these characters. I really enjoyed this one and look forward to reading more by this author!

**ARC provided in exchange for an honest revi
Raquell Barton
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ever since Catherine Malboeuf was a little girl she's heard the story of her great-grandmother and a priceless tiara hidden inside Walsley Manor, a home now owned by Nick, the Duke if Boulstridge. After a hilarious first meeting (Catherine breaks into Walsley Manor and is caught by Nick) - she and Nick come to an agreement. If she receives an offer of marriage during the current season, he will sale her Walsley Manor. What happens between these 190 pages is more hilarity, friendship, growing lov ...more
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Another delight by this author! Fast paced and delightfully wicked! Has just the right mixture of romance, seduction, passion, mystery, with a bit of of suspense. The plot, setting and characters are well written, intriguing, and a compelling. Well worth your time to read. Well done. An enjoyable and satisfying read.

*Received for an honest review from the publisher and Net Galley*

Rating: 4
Heat rating: Mild
Reviewed by: April R, courtesy of My Book Addiction and More
Bree T
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Catherine Maboeuf has divided her time between the Bahamas and New Orleans but now she is returning to England, her mother’s homeland. Her mission is two fold – her wealthy shipping merchant father has given her leave to purchase her mother’s childhood home which was lost to her after her father died and it was entailed away to a male cousin. Secondly she must find her great-grandmother’s journal and use the clues hidden within it to find a lost family treasure.

What Catherine didn’t count on was
Linda

Five star historical romance deals up a bold heroine, a sometimes stuffed shirt of a hero, a treasure hunt and a villain or two along the way, so no sleeping through this one, " How to Beguile the Duke" was a hard to put down read .

Our Heroine :

Catherine Malboeuf , raised in The Bahamas and New Orleans , by her English mother and French ( pirate ) really shipping magnet of a father, is not your classic wilting English Rose, she can wield a sword and knife as well as any pirate, has a quick mind
Sara Beth
Dec 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Nick will sell Walsley Manor if—and only if—Catherine secures an offer of marriage from an eligible member of the ton before the end of the London season.
You know when y
Leone (She Reads too Much Romance)
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. As a historical read it is very traditional and there really isn't any content in the novel that makes it standout from other books that I have read this year. Apart from this fact there were a number of flaws I couldn't help, but to notice along the way. To be fair I think the plot of this book is very good. It was entertaining and I have no faults with how the author chose to write the plot but my biggest flaw is with the characters.

The h
Stacy Reid
I liked this book. A sweet, quick read with enjoyable banter between hero and heroine. When I started to read it I was not sure what to make of Catherine. She was so unconventional to the women of her time. Now, I love strong, sassy heroines, and she presented as one. But a few times I wondered … errmm, is she too unconventional? I mean she broke into a duke’s home … and when she was discovered, she acted as if she had the right to be there. At first I was like what? Then I thumbed a few more pa ...more
Amaranthine
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Our heroine Catherine is headstrong, assertive and completely unconventional. Having been raised in the Bahamas and New Orleans, and rumored to be the daughter of a pirate, she has a bit of an uphill road in her attempt to fit into 1820s London society.

In contrast, our hero Nick is very proper, somewhat surly, and a bit stuffy. After years of suffering ridicule as his reprobate of a father foisted scandal upon scandal onto the family, he is more than sensitive to whims of society. Determined to
Pamela
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rated 4 out of 5 Blue Ribbons! Review courtesy of Romance Junkies:

Catherine Malboeuf has arrived at Walston Manor to find a hidden treasure. Walston Manor once belonged to her family, but after everyone passed, the property was sold to Nick, the Duke of Boulstridge. Catherine attempts to gain entry the normal way, but when Nick refuses to see her, she takes manners into her own hand. Catherine enters through a window in the library and begins her search for her grandmother's journal.

Nick is appa
Amy Alvis
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Catherine Malboeuf is on a mission to get her ancestral home back and to find a diamond tiara that belonged to her grandmother. Unfortunately, Nicholas Adair, Duke of Boulstridge stands in her way.

Having been denied an audience with the Duke, Catherine breaks into his home to search for a diary she hope will lead her to the tiara only to be caught by the Duke himself. During down Catherine when asked about purchasing his home he decides to make a bet with her. If she can get a proposal from a ti
« previous 1 3 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 18, 2015 07:45AM
Entangled in Romance: A hot new release and a steal of a deal on a new bundle 1 13 Dec 08, 2014 09:28PM

• A Wicked Wager (Avenging Lords #2)
  • A Gentleman's Curse (Avenging Lords Book 4)
  • The Duke I Tempted (Secrets of Charlotte Street, #1)
  • A Marquess for Christmas (Scandalous Seasons, #5)
  • The Spy Who Seduced Her (The Brethren, #1)
  • Accidentally Compromising the Duke (Wedded by Scandal, #1)
  • The Duke of Desire (The 1797 Club, #9)
  • Submitting to the Marquess
  • To Dare a Duke (Girls Who Dare, #1)
  • The Duke's Mistress (Regency Unlaced, #1)
  • Winter's Whispers (The Wicked Winters, #10)
  • Steamy Winter Wishes (Game of Dukes, #6)
  • If I Only Had a Duke (The Disgraceful Dukes, #2)
  • Claimed by the Marquis (Regency Unlaced, #2)
  • The Bluestocking (Wicked Wallflowers, #4)
  • How to Marry a Marquess (Wedded by Scandal, #3)
  • Once a Wallflower, At Last His Love (Scandalous Seasons, #6)
  • Her Beautiful Bastard (Scandalous Ballroom Encounters #6)
Ally has worked as a horse trainer, director of marketing and development, freelance proofreader, and a children's librarian, among other things. None of them were as awesome as writing romance novels (though the librarian gig came closest). She lives in Texas and is convinced her house is shrinking, possibly because she shares it with three kids, five dogs, a cat, a rabbit, and assorted reptiles. ...more

How To (3 books)
  • How to Bewitch an Earl (How To, #2)
  • How to Bewilder a Lord (How To #3)