Start by marking “Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up ” as Want to Read:
Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up

Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up

(Keena Ford #1)

Meet an irrepressible young lady with a flair for getting into trouble! Sassy, fun-loving Keena Ford always tries to do the right thing, but somehow, she just keeps making things worse. Keena is super excited about starting second grade and she?s eager to impress her new teacher?but why does Ms. Hanson think Keena?s birthday is tomorrow? It was a small mistake, but now Kee ...more
Published July 3rd 2008 by Dial Books

Bree' E.
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Keena Ford , she is a African American girl , she is going into the second grade ! Keena is very nervous to go to second grade and get out of second grade habits . She also is concerned about how she wont have any friends or that friends , teachers , and staff at the school will not enjoy her presents .. She is really hoping she will have a more than great year !

Keena Ford and I have many things in common. A couple of things are that we were both scared to start school because of var
Lisa the Librarian
Nov 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Junie B. Jones fans
This was a really cute book. I am seeing a trend in children's books with the main character being a spunky, maybe bordering on bratty girl. Keena is one of these as well.

She is not as charming or enduring as Ramona Quimby, but is much less over the top and more believeable than Junie B. Jones.

I liked this book in the fact that Keena's mix-up over her birthdate could actually happen to a child. (Although it makes much less sense that a teacher would depend on second grade students t
Danie P.
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute Cute Cute. Keena starts the second grade and she finds out she'll be split up from her best friend! They're having all girls and all boys classes this year. She finds herself in more trouble then usual this year.
Lisa
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I wanted a new book to read to my 2nd graders, and this book was perfect! I have now purchased the rest of the Keena Ford books, and I can't wait to read them with my class.

Keena Ford is a believable character that my students immediately fell in love wtih.
Debra
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just love Keena Ford! What a great little character, smart and full of heart! I think my second graders will love her too! Keena tells her story through her journal. She is very relatable and reminds me of many of my students! I wish there were more books like this at this reading level!
Shannon
Oct 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Very cute!
Illeyana
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book. It had many lessons to offer and it was easy to get into. I would highly recommend this book and its series.
Nov 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Better than Junie B., shorter than Ramona.
Darla
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars for this first book in the Keena Ford series. Like Katherine Applegate's Roscoe Riley, Keena has a gift for getting into trouble. We learn about her predicament from her journal. The journal entries are an effective method to show how a 2nd grade student can go from having the best day ever to the worst in about 60 seconds. There are many elements in Keena's life to hook readers: her best friend is assigned to a different homeroom, her parents are divorced, she has a big brother and sh ...more
Tatiana
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Move over Judy Moody and Junie B. Jones! Keena Ford is entering second grade, and boy does she have a few things to learn. For one, never lie. And two, the people who love you will always love you.

But the bigger mystery is...why haven't I known about this series until now?!? You can tell it's written by an educator and mother. Keena is fallible yet supremely redeemable. She isn't snotty!! She isn't precocious either. I love the parents, the teacher, and how discipline was handled--with a eye to
Vanessa
Shelves: my-books
This book is delightful! This book is presented in first person point of view that can most certainly be used in the elementary classroom! Keena is a character who has a strong sense of self, is hilarious, and makes some common mistakes that may portray her as a "trouble maker." This book follows her journey as she navigates her new all girls second grade classroom. With modern takes on family structure, gender roles, and school environments, this book is sure to be relatable to first/second gra ...more
Andrea Gonzalez
Brenda Espinoza
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I enjoyed following Keena and her transition into second grade. Her sassy and intelligent wit is spilled all over her journal entries in the way she captures each situation as well as her emotions. This would be an awesome book to share with 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders as they would find it amusing and may even be able to make a connection with Keena. This would be a great book to have in the classroom or at home and also serves as a fun way to introduce children to series books ...more
Lulu Lozada
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was hilarious and very accurate. Keena's personality, attitude and actions are very much like a second grader. Ms. Campbell was a great depiction of a 2nd grade teacher because of her calm yet firm attitude when dealing with Keena's trouble making. Even Keena was surprised at Ms. Campbell's patience. Its a book book not only for school-aged kids but, also for adults so they see how a teacher should react to misbehavior.
Annie
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So super cute. Keena Ford is awesome--such a funny and relatable character. She's so excited to be starting second grade until two tragedies befall the first day of school: 1) she's not in the same class as her best friend, and 2) she accidentally write her birthday down wrong (trying to use the number system instead of writing out the month) and it makes her new teacher think that her birthday is the next day. Whoops!

These are real kid problems, just a lot funnier. A great book!
Savannah Gamble
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this witty fun and very honest story of Kenna Ford. She is sassy and says what she means. She may have some trouble with honesty and rules, but she always has the best of intentions. She really relates to a lot of stuff kids go though at school when they are misunderstood. Also this book does a goo job of showing what kids expect adults to say and then shows what is actually a helpful way to react to kids like Keena.
Sydney Swain
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Keena Ford was sooooooooooo flipping cute!!!!!! She is a spunky little girl with a personality to be proud of! She was a relatable character, not only because her parents were divorced, but because she was black. I personally have noticed the absence of black children/ families in children's books. I would love to put into my future classroom. If a child is acting up because they have divorced parents, maybe have them read this.
Erik Sagrero
Shelves: english-341
When I first began reading the book I couldn't put the book down. As a future teacher, I loved the idea that is can be a book used to introduce students to how to use a journal and also teach students how to write letters. Keena is a funny and relatable to elementary students, I'd recommend this book as an example different writing techniques and using drawing as aides to paint a picture of what's happening in the book.
Destinee Garcia
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Keena Ford series books are a good option to merge students into reading chapter books! Keena Ford is a funky upbeat girl who doesn't mean to get in trouble but sometimes things happen. This book is full of challenging obstacles that children face such as honesty and jealousy. I would recommend this series to children who have trouble hiding their mistakes and need help relating to other children. Overall good read!
Joyce
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a fun beginning chapter book for kids. Keena is funny, curious, and a typical second grader. When she accidentally writes her birthdate incorrectly, Keena's teacher plans a big classroom celebration complete with chocolate cake. Her fear that it's too late to tell the truth and her excitement over the cake make Keena play along.
Makayla Harrigan
Shelves: children-s-books
Super fun book! Keena Ford is a good starter chapter book for children. It is a great tool to introduce journaling in your class. Can also be a way to talk about relationships in a more casual manner, as challenges arise in her relationship with her best friend, improves a relationship with a classmate, and learns through her new relationship with her teacher.
Caitlin Vicari
I loved this book! It is about a second grader and how she is a troublemaker but usually not a troublemaker on purpose. I would read this book with my students in the future, because it teaches students to always be honest, and if you aren't honest at first, how to tell the truth. There is a very good lesson that is within this book. Also, it is a super good read!!! I really enjoyed it!
Sabrina Peppel
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Keena Ford was a great read! Perfect for younger students, I would recommend grades 1st-3rd.
Keena Ford is a fun story of a sassy girl transitioning into the 2nd grade, this book works through the struggles that a second grader might experience and the ways she overcomes them.
Mirna Miranda Rivas
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great read. I would give this to a student who maybe struggles a little with staying out of trouble and fallowing classroom dynamics. For a first to third grader. If they enjoy this read I would recommend the other two Keena Ford books.
Veronica Robb
Sep 25, 2019 is currently reading it
Wonderful book for second and third graders! I honestly love it as a 21 year old. Very cute and helps teach children that it is normal to accidentally tell a lie but it is important to own up to it right away.
Cassandra Reveles
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Keena Ford is a good transition to children who are starting to read chapter books. It offers lots of details and paints a picture in your head as you read through Keena's mix ups. I would recommend using this book in the classroom to introduce journalism.
Alecia
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a perfect book to read over summer vacation with my soon to be second grader since the book begins just a few days before 2nd grade starts and ends after an eventful first week of second grade. Super cute and relatable for many kids.
Krissy Neddo
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Spunky, loveable Keena! This one is perfect for 2nd grade teachers/parents to read aloud to their students the first month of school. Loved it!
Kalea August
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it

I like how Keena is is really silly/funny also she says some bad words I also like when her brother Brian gave Keena
Tracy Smith
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thouroughly enjoyed Keena's antics in her new second grade classroom. A new favorite beginning series book!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Make Way for Dyamonde Daniel (Dyamonde Daniel #1)
  • Being Teddy Roosevelt
  • Brand New School, Brave New Ruby
  • Nikki & Deja
  • All Mixed Up! (Amy Hodgepodge, #1)
  • Zapato Power: Freddy Ramos Takes Off
  • Lulu and the Dog from the Sea (Lulu, #2)
  • Precious and the Boo Hag
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!  (Marty McGuire #2)
  • Stella Batts Needs a New Name (Stella Batts, #1)
  • Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
  • The Case of the Lost Boy (The Buddy Files, #1)
  • Lola Levine Is Not Mean!
  • Anna Hibiscus
  • The One and Only Stuey Lewis: Stories from the Second Grade
  • Maybelle in the Soup
  • The SOS File
  • Ruby Lu, Brave and True
Melissa Thomson is the author of the KEENA FORD series (Dial) and TITO THE BONECRUSHER (FSG, 2017), as well as ALONE ON THE ICE, a short story about a child who must survive on an ice floe with only a friendly polar bear to protect him. It was written when she was in third grade and won last place in the school district writing contest. If anyone would like to publish it, please contact her.

When