Start by marking “Taiwan” as Want to Read:
Taiwan

Taiwan (Lonely Planet Country Guide)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Lonely Planet Taiwan
Take your tastebuds touring around the buzz of food stalls at Taipei's Shilin Night Market
Soak yourself in the steaming, smooth waters of the Taian hot springs
Hike the Walami Trail to the sound of monkeys crashing through the jungle canopy
Emerge from the temples of Penghu straight onto some of East Asia's finest beaches
In This Guide:
Two resident auth
Published November 1st 2007 by Lonely Planet Publications (first published July 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Taiwan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taiwan

Jennifer Tse
Mar 17, 2009 rated it liked it
This is a great travel guide book about Taiwan. It is very informative and include some really good tips. I only scanned the later sections, since I've been to Taiwan's Hsinchu, Taipei, and Tainan already for a short visit. Hopefully I'll be able to come back one day! I'm a little surprise to find out how religious Taiwan really is, the top religions being Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism. "Taiwan has world's largest person/temple ratio." (P.49)

Funny Quote: "Even Lee Teng-hui's worst enemies g
Vanny
Jul 25, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I used to be a great fan of Lonely Planet but I am getting more and more disappointed with their books.
I go this book to visit the center and the south of Taiwan and when I read it I realised that most of the info are about Taipei only.
The part I was interested in is only mentioned briefly.
It tells you that they are beautiful area of Taiwan but doesn't tell you how to do the things described, how to get around, if it's possible to rent a car and so on.
Facundo Martin
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book the first time I traveled to Taiwan and I absolutely love it! (You might want to get the latest edition, though). It's really useful and includes interesting historical and cultural notes. And all the highlights! (how I love ticking places off my travel list...they should come with checkboxes).
-To prove it's useful: I'm directionally-challenged and following this guide landed me in the National Palace Museum with no problems.
-On its suggestion, my girlfriend and I visited the
Sanne
Of course this series is well known amongst travellers, but for those to whom it's new; take my word, it's amazing!
The series is huge and cover (i think) nearly all countries of the world. Not only will they guide you to the highlights, but especially to the more unknown (and maybe therefore more special) spots and places. If you're looking for an adventurous trip full of excitement, I would definitely recommend it to you. For me, this book has made my summer exchange to Taiwan even more amazin
Ambar
Dec 07, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you who want to go to Taiwan
Shelves: travel
Not bad, but not so comprehensive like China one. Most of important point did not have Chinese character such as train station or airport make it so hard to give an order to taxi driver. As it's been published 2004 so yes little bit out of date. So many changes i the past three years such as Maekong Gondola and High Speed Rail system which polished Taiwan even more interresting.

It has a simple pinyin Chinese latin that you can use for survival. But mind you that the pronunciation and the writing
Nancy
Jan 17, 2009 rated it liked it
I dunno if you read a Lonely Planet so much as fantasize.

At any rate:

bomb-ass food, night markets, Ching dynasty hiking, jungles, white-sand beaches, snorkeling and scuba-diving.

What's not to like?

I mean, besides a 10 year estrangement from the paternal unit who currently resides there.
Alex
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, other
I normally really enjoy and like Lonely Planet books but this book had a few restaurants that we couldnt find with the lonely planet maps and information and we were looking in the right place!

Could of just been bad luck with places closing down but it still lessened by opinion of this book.
Jack
Apr 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Seeking Taiwan
Very helpful travel tips and such. This book really makes you want to get out and do it for yourself. The edition I read was published in 2004, so a number of things were out of date. See if you can locate a more recent copy if you are going to Taiwan.

Taiwan is incredimazing, by the way.
Timothy Tang
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An in-depth travel guide to the wonders of the island that used to be known as Formosa. The authors take us on a virtual trip from the bustling city of finance that is Taipei to the hilly and rural Eastern City of Hualien and all the way to the port city of Kaoshuing.
Caitlin
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was spot on for my trip to Taipei. The book, a subway map, and a subway day pass were essential to seeing everything I wanted to see while I was there.
Andrea
Jul 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travellit
pretty much my bible.
Thomas Ryan
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent LP guide.
Dan
Jun 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Good info and I survived two trips to the ROC. Thus, I think it is good. Some outdated info, but hey it is better than asking the cabbies that acost you outside the Kao-Shung train station.
Lola
Jul 14, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
For a place the size of Maine, this book is very detailed. However, I will personally not go there this decade since the recent food scandal in Taiwan....
Cynthia
Jul 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
The writing is interesting and occasionally hilarious. The two writers are ex pats living in Taiwan who obviously love it and know it very well.
Badariah Yosiyana
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: traveling
quite helpful if you know nothing about Taiwan before. But the book mostly exposed Taipei. Other cities? not that much unfortunately.
Tom
Kelvin Baggs
Oct 24, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
More about Robert Kelly

Lonely Planet Country Guide (1 - 10 of 262 books)
  • Afghanistan
  • Algeria (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Argentina (Lonely Planet Country Guide)
  • Argentina y Uruguay
  • Australia
  • Australia
  • Lonely Planet Australia
  • Australie (Lonely Planet)
  • Austria (Lonely Planet Guide)
  • Austria