Start by marking “The Vintage Summer Wedding” as Want to Read:
The Vintage Summer Wedding

The Vintage Summer Wedding

A Vera Wang dress, the reception at a sophisticated London venue, and a guest list that reads like a society gossip column are all the ingredients of Anna Whitehall’s perfect wedding that never was…

Paperback
Published March 26th 2015 by Carina (first published May 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Vintage Summer Wedding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vintage Summer Wedding

Rea Cobb
I loved the soft, cute cover of The Vintage Summer Wedding and after reading the synopsis it sounded like a light, fun and charming read and having enjoyed one of the author’s previous books before I wanted to give this one a try.

Anna and fiancé Seb have had to return to their childhood village after losing her job and losing a lot of money that she has spent on their wedding which has now been cancelled things are not looking good and she cannot share Seb’s enthusiasm at returning back to where
Echo
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rom-com
I liked this book, the story and the character of Anna. I'm rating it two stars instead of three because all the other people in Anna's life - her father, her old school peers, people in the village - were so unbelievably harsh and unpleasant to her.

With the book being from Anna's point of view, the only justification for the hostile words of the people in the village was her own belief that she had been a teenager with attitude...and well, it seemed unlikely that an entire village would take a
Dawn
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book by the publisher Carina in exchange for an honest review which I'm more than happy to give.

The book begins with Anna along with her fiancé Seb returning to Anna's hometown after living the dream in London, spending all their savings, planning for the wedding of the century - Anna had such huge plans. She was never, ever going back to the small town once she headed for the lights and the razzamatazz of the big smoke, leaving with disparaging remarks as she left, no
Book-shelf Shelf
A story of a failed ballet dancer who was trained to win, but her world has collapsed and now she has to go back to her small home town.

Amazingly brilliant use of modern day language along side alleged properly speaking. Jenny is a star waiting to boom in the writing world. She has hit the nail on the head with this fantastic book. Loved the film references as well as the perfect descriptions that made you feel you were in the story.
This story made a sunny day even brighter, loved every page!!
Rebecca
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on http://beccasbooooks.blogspot.co.uk/

Oh my gosh! I absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED The Vintage Summer Wedding. ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!

I'd just like to say a huge thank you to one of my favourite publishers Carina UK! No matter what, I always seem to fall head over heels in love with Carina's titles, and The Vintage Summer Wedding by Jenny Oliver turned out to be another one of those beauties that I just couldn't leave alone. And of course, an even bigger thank you to author of thi
Pearl
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Vintage Summer Wedding was written by an author who has certainly become one of my favourites, Jenny Oliver. Once again she has written a book based on many different characters based in the village of Nettleton.
With this book, the main character is a young couple who previously lived in Nettleton as children and young adults but when they wanted to make their own lives both of them moved to London. Anna Whitehall wanted to see her name in lights as a Prima ballerina, but for Anna, her dream
Lucy
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed feelings about this book, I got a lot from the blurb that I felt wasn't
given. It was painted as a cutesy darling book but it wasnt about that at all really, until the end. It was about self hate, constantly believing your a failure, in every sense of the word, but turning it all around, finding herself and what she really wants.
I like a lot. The reader Ellie  Hayden was really good, she had a soothing voice and it all felt simple.
Anna is someone who was pushed into what she had be
Nuria
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I thought about the book? I loved it! It's as simple as that. Over the last couple of months, I have read (too) many Jenny Oliver books. But this one would have to be one of my favourites so far.

What I loved most about the story is the fact that it's the woman who's a bit of a dickhead (excuse my language) and not the guy. Usually when you have a book start out with a couple about to get married, it is the guy who messes everything up. But The Vintage Summer Wedding has turned it all around
Eve beinguniquebooks
Anna and Seb have returned to a cottage in Nettleton their home town as they prepare to get married but they return after Anna caused a scene strong enough to leave gossipers still going on about it even now!

Anna dreamt of London being her home with Seb but after their money ran dry, home was true only place to go to. Forced to work alongside Mrs Beedle in her antique shop for a measly wage and doing what she feels is disgusting work as her snobbish attitude is.

She also starts to help out at the
Angelica
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
The Vintage Summer Wedding— this is the sort of book that is the perfect cottage read; it is light and fluffy and the main character goes through quite the arc. I will admit that I didn’t like the book at first, I found Anna (the protagonist) to be most unlikeable. She was shallow and greedy and so materialistic that she couldn’t see that she had the love of her life right in front of her. She realized what she had before he first third of the book was over, but thanks to a colossal mistake on h ...more
Kathy
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't as good as sone others of hers. I kept thinking why was she, Anna, thinking back to what her mother was saying. She was a stubborn, spoilt brat. Eventually, she learned and grew.
I only gave it 3 stars, because I didn't like the 1st third of the book, too confusing. Started to get better and then I couldn't put it down. I had to see if Anna married Seb & stayed in Nettleton or if she went to New York City.
Pauline
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Usually love a thriller of some sort. This was completely different. Just a nice book with a nice story. You felt as though you knew the characters and I could picture the small village and shops in it. Thoroughly enjoyed the book and hoping to pass it on to my daughter.
Heather Mooney
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: weddings
It took me ages to get in to this book but glad I stuck with it.
Fran
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable book.
Aislinn
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book so much. Literally couldn't stop reading. Great charaters, inspiration and love the end. That last page couldn't have been more perfect!
Katey Lovell
The sun is shining and the flowers are blooming- it must be wedding season! Jenny Oliver has capitalised on the summer loving in her latest offering The Vintage Summer Wedding, with a title and cover which is bound to appeal to brides, bridesmaids and hopeless romantics everywhere.

Anna is at her lowest ebb. After losing her job, her money and her self esteem, she reluctantly moves back to her hometown with her fiancé. Former dancer Anna begrudgingly finds herself becoming involved with the chi
Susan
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This had far more depth to it than the sugary sweet, fluffy wedding story that I envisaged from the pink and blue book cover. The opening scene saw Anna and fiancé Sebastian, under straightened circumstances, returning to their home village, where Seb is taking up a teaching post. Following the divorce of her parents, Anna had left Nettleton with her pushy mother to follow her ambition to be a ballerina. Her aim was the high celebrity lifestyle, with a wedding to match. But the hotel Anna had bo ...more
Mandi

Spending the summer uncovering hidden treasures in a vintage shop, Anna can still vividly remember both her childhood dreams; the first was that she’d become a Prima Ballerina, and dance on stage resplendent in a jewel-encrusted tutu. The second was that at her wedding she would walk down the aisle we
Susan
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley who provided me with this preview copy. Anna once had it all, the flashy lifestyle, dream job and a extravagant wedding to plan. However when she is made redundant and realises that she has been spending beyond her means, there is only one thing for it, return to the home town she vowed never to set foot in again. Her fiance, Seb is perfectly happy to embrace country life but Anna will not give up her champagne tastes without a fight. Right from the start I really warmed to A ...more
karmaforlifechick
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of The Vintage Summer Wedding by Jenny Oliver in exchange for an honest review.

Anna’s dream of being a world famous ballerina was shattered after she left the small town she grew up in and years later she finds herself returning to the place she swore she never would go back to. This time around she’s engaged to Seb, and a wedding that was supposed to be the talk of London is on hold, and nothing is working in her life the way she wanted. Oh boy, reading about Anna in this stor
Simona
Well, I don’t really know how to start this review, because I wasn’t even sure about my rating. A real mix of thoughts and feelings…

I took me a while to get into this story, because the characters seemed really far away for me, especially Anna. I couldn’t find a spark there, although she’s a dancer, I’m one as well, but…
I liked Seb though, but I felt like he didn’t really come through in the story.

Back in Nettleton Anna really struggles, no really job, problems with some kids and then there is S
Iba
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I actually really like this book. If you read my previous status- I updated whilst reading The Vintage Summer Wedding, you would know that I was tempted to throw it across the room. Don't get me wrong. It's not because the book is badly written, in fact the book is well written in my opinion.

The character, Anna, was the reason why I wanted to throw the book across the room. There were a lot of times where I found myself beyond frustrated with her thinking and behaviour. It's actually not her fa
Desirée Boom
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mam-s-boeken
I loved the story, about a young couple, Anna and Seb, who are about to marry, but lose a huge deposit when their wedding location goes bankrupt. They have to move back to the small village they grew up in, and Anna hates it. Of course there are a lot of hick ups along the way to their wedding.
But I was a little distracted by the many typos ('hairbo' instead of 'haribo' for instance). Things like that make me read the sentence again and again, to ensure myself it's really there and not just in
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a book about a couple planning their big day and all the stresses that go with it. However this book did more than just plan the perfect wedding. Anna had it all and had planned her wedding to Seb with no expense spared, but unfortunately the wedding venue went into administration and Anna lost everything.

With nothing left Seb and a reluctant Anna move back to their home town where Anna has to overcome her past and learn that sometimes you have to go back to be able to move forwa
Natalie TBGWP
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Vintage Summer Wedding is such a lovely book. It's relaxed laid-back feel with its lovely plot and impressive characters has you smiling and enjoying every single minute.

A tale of true love that is not only fitting to your partner, but fitting to yourself. A story about testing friendships new and old, and how a group of kids and a little antique shop in a village called Nettleton holds the key to that love.

I enjoyed this book immensely and I would definitely recommend this for your summe
Sheerie
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very easy summer read. 2 main characters Anna & Seb have a flashy life style that Anna adores in London. Unfortunately a lot of money has been paid into their forthcoming wedding but the hotel goes into receivership. They have no option but to move home to where Anna grew up in an unhappy marriage, with parents who where obviously not meant for each other. Anna sees her new life as a step down while Seb is happy to teach at the local school. This is not just a story of a summer wedding but ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this was a bit slow to start as I was struggling to like Anna's character, but as she grew, as did my liking of her.

This was a lovely story, set back in the village of Nettleton, which is a lovely village, and catches up with Rachel and Phillipe from The Parisian Christmas Bake Off. Always good to catch up with old characters while focusing on new ones.

I have really enjoyed both books I have now read by Jenny Oliver, and look forward to her future releases, and I hope to see more of Net
Ellen
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this feel good story of Anna and her journey from materialistic selfishness to finding the self she hid after years of ignoring her feelings. Anna and Seb planned a large, expensive wedding, when they were hit with a major disappointment. Leaving London to their small home town, their relationship changes. Great summer read.
Jess
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy to read, perfect for the summer months. Lovely feel good story about Anna, a failed ballerina who goes on a little journey of self-discovery once she is forced to move back to her home town of Nettleton.

I only gave it three stars as although I enjoyed the story, the book was riddled with spelling mistakes and grammatical errors which really detracted from the enjoyment of reading it.
Dick R. McCart
More than I expected

While this is a location romance, it's not as watery and formula as most. Anna had some thorny issues and the outcome wasn't ridiculous. This is a step up and I hope to see other authors of the genre take note.
  • A Christmas Wish
  • Winter at the Dog & Duck (Dog and Duck Book 1)
  • Summer, with Love
  • Coffee, Tea, the Gypsy & Me
  • Ladies Who Launch
  • Naughty Or Nice? A HarperImpulse Christmas Anthology
  • Love At Last
  • Chocolate Dreams at the Gingerbread Café (The Gingerbread Café, #2)
  • Last Christmas
  • The Weeping and the Laughter
  • Finding Secrets
  • Me and Mr Carrington
  • Elena Undone
  • A Thankful Heart (Love at the Chocolate Shop #2)
Jenny Oliver is the bestselling author of The Summerhouse by the Sea - the PERFECT book for your summer reading! Out May 18th.
Her book The Sunshine and Biscotti Club, set in sunny Tuscany, was nominated for the Best Contemporary Romantic Novel at the RONA awards.
Jenny wrote her first book on holiday when she was ten years old. Illustrated with cut-out supermodels from her sister's Vogue, it was