Start by marking “Pennies for the Damned” as Want to Read:
Pennies for the Damned

Pennies for the Damned

(Larry Laughlin #2)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Ex-hitman Larry Laughlin got out of Mexico alive, but now he’s a haunted man. The final step to laying his ghosts to rest requires killing his newly paroled father. Before he can take action, a trio of killers break into Larry’s house, and he overhears their scheme to murder his brother, Jaime. Old habits kick in, and Larry emerges the sole survivor. But while he’s gatheri ...more
Published May 12th 2015 by Red Adept Publishing, LLC

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, read-2015
3.5 stars. (I rounded up because of "skullfuckery")

Larry Laughlin is back and the book takes up from right after Hope for the Wicked left off. Larry still wants to kill his evil dad and he goes to the prison at his dad's release only to see him get into a expensive Rolls Royce and be driven off. How does a prisoner of many years get a ride in such a car? Questioning that he doesn't follow but plans on catching up with his dad later.

He doesn't get far when people start breaking into his house wa
Paul Nelson
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-books-read
Pennies for the damned is the follow up to Hope for the Wicked and stars Larry Laughlin, the purveyor of a convoluted righteousness steeped in violence and a seasoned killer. An ex-hitman who tortured and killed the worst of men, those who truly deserved it, he tried retirement but you can never really leave the life that he lived. In Hope for the Wicked, he lost it all and now he's back with revenge on his mind. The target, his abusive Father due to be released from prison and Larry is waiting ...more
Thomas Strömquist
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
"well, that escalated quickly" - Larry Laughlin

The second book in the series is no less of a hell-ride than the first! Action takes off following the disastrous Mexico-jaunt of Hope for the Wicked and the story follows closely the events in the first book. This one has all the feelings of a stand-alone book, though and enough is explained to read it by itself (not that you would want to, of course). You would also be hard off finding a bleaker, more relentless or more violent thriller than the t
Bandit
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very eager to read this story after finishing Hope for The Wicked. It would be inaccurate to say this was a disappointment, but something about the alliteratively named antihero has lost its charm to an extent here. Larry's dangerous to be around, he's like Mount Vesuvius circa 79 AD. He may have good intentions, but we all know what road that paves. With the second book, one can't help but wonder if Larry simply isn't bright enough (he does in fact struggle with long words) to figure out ...more
Maxine Marsh

Wow, Lorn does it again. I really enjoyed this book, to the point where I didn't want it to end because I just wanted to stick with Larry and Brooklyn, see where the next step on their violent journey would take them. Oddly enough, I hadn't read the previous book, Hope for the Wicked, before I picked this up. I feel like this book is easily delved into as a stand alone, and now I feel like I must read the first! I had read Bay's End already, remembered the horrific scenes from that book with Lar
Gatorman
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Worthy sequel to Hope for the Wicked follows Larry on further adventures involving a child trafficking ring. Plenty of action and engaging characters with a sharp sense of humor. Lorn knows how to deliver the goods and does so aplenty. Entertains from beginning to end. If you haven't read Wicked, do it now, then read this one. You won't be disappointed. Highly recommended.
11811 (Eleven)
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one. It had the same flavor as the first book, Hope for the Wicked, but there were enough differences that it wasn't a repeat, as is often the case with sequels. There were actually some major differences that I can't mention without spoiling the hell out of book one but if you enjoyed the protagonist in the first one, I recommend checking him out again here.

ARC from Netgalley in exchange for honest review.
Mommacat
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: extreme-horror
Larry Laughlin is a severely damaged man. You wouldn't think a person who works as a hit man could have feelings, but this dude does. He's lost the love of his life, Mo (see the first Larry book for the extremely gory details) and sees and talks to her regularly. At least he is aware that he's talking to a dead woman; that's a point in his favor. No rubber room for him yet.

But author Ed Lorn has a lot of opinions, especially on child slavery and pedophiles. He uses Larry as a means to try to rid
books are love
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting book. The descriptive writing is wonderful and truly sets the scenes and story for you. Larry is retired but for some reason someone wants him out of retirement. I haven’t quite figured out why but they do and now that they got their wish watch out.

Larry is basically a good guy who lost his way. His past haunts him and he hasn’t really laid it to rest and found peace. His wife is gone and he is just trying to get through each day. Suddenly people are trying to kill him and his brothe
Sage Adderley-Knox
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's been awhile since I found myself wrapped up in a book that I not only read it in one sitting, but I was sad to finish up the story. I need more Larry Laughlin!

Edward Lorn knows how to rock the written word. While this is a follow-up book to Hope for the Wicked, it is a great stand alone. Now that I have gotten to know Larry's character through this novel, I will for sure be reading the first book.

Larry and Mo are a couple who kill for a living, but only really awful people. So, that is acce
Susan
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pennies for the Damned by Edward Lorn Note: Even though this is Book 2, it works well on its own. Enough background is given that you can pick up this book and enjoy it for its own sake.
This is the long awaited sequel to Hope for the Wicked, which I found disturbing and refreshingly honest at the same time. Pennies for the Damned is a mix of flashbacks to happier, more fruitful times with Mo & Larry gainfully employed, and Larry’s present. Larry made it out of Mexico scarred, both physically
Laura Thomas
This is the second story in the series and picks up a short time later.

Larry survived Mexico. He went back to his roots. To all those bad memories of “Family Time’ with his dad. He’s not planning on killing anymore after one last job. The job, kill his father.

His father is going to be released from prison and Larry can’t stand the thought of his father out there somewhere, preying on more innocent kids. He’ll take him out and be done with it.

But life has more for Larry. He’s confronted by some u
Laura Thomas
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second story in the series and picks up a short time later.

But life has more for Larry. He’s confronted by some u
Al
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, read-2015
I've been eagerly anticipating Pennies for the Damned, the followup to Lorn's first book featuring Larry Laughlin, Hope for the Wicked. By way of disclaimer, this isn't because I'd heard a rumor that a character named for me suffered a horrible death in this book, although that turns out to be true with me losing some largely unused body parts in the process. It's because I like the character of Larry Laughlin so much.

By most standards, Larry is an evil man, with corpses routinely piling up in h
Ashley Nemer
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-reviewed
I received this in exchange for an honest review.

When I read the blurb for this book I got really excited. I love hitman type stories and thought this would be a good addition.

I selected correctly. The story is in first person and you know how I love first person. It is so easy to be drawn in.

The writing style felt different than my normal authors but that isn't a bad thing. One of the good things about branching out and reading new people.

Before I agreed to review this book I looked up some of
November Is Nyarlathotep
Review:  PENNIES FOR THE DAMNED by Edward Lorn

I knew just from the author's name that I would be entering into a read well "off the beaten track," and of course Mr. Lorn did not disappoint. Mo and Larry Laughlin are an active married couple, joint private investigators for the past four years. Their prime motivation is vigilante murder, though. Both are adult survivors of horrific childhood abuse, and they eradicate human monsters similar to those who brutalized their childhoods. The problem is
Theweebarrell
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thank you to netgalley for giving me this in exchange for an honest review

I couldn't really get into this book , it took me a long time time to read ` and i couldn't get into the characters. I think if i had read the first book it may have been different
Cobber
rated it did not like it
Jul 12, 2015
added it
Rachel Procter
Suleman
Jun 28, 2015
Edward Lorn (E. to most) is a reader, writer, and content creator. He's been writing for fun since the age of six, and writing professionally since 2011. He can be found haunting the halls of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, and Goodreads.

E. lives in Alabama with his wife and two children. He is currently working on his next novel.

Larry Laughlin (2 books)
  • Hope for the Wicked (Larry Laughlin, #1)