Start by marking “Amethyst (The Jewel Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Amethyst (The Jewel Trilogy, #1)

Amethyst

(Chase Family #1)

London, 1666

Amethyst Goldsmith makes dazzling jewelry, but her future isn’t nearly as bright as the pieces she creates. Though custom dictates she wed her father’s apprentice, her heart rebels against the match. In mere days Amy will be condemned to a stifling, loveless marriage, and she sees no way out—until the devastating fire of 1666 sweeps through London, and tragedy

Published October 2014 by Novelty Books (first published February 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Amethyst, please sign up.
Lauren Royal No, I've never made jewelry. I owned jewelry stores in the past, but I bought other people's designs to sell. All my fingers know how to do is type.…moreNo, I've never made jewelry. I owned jewelry stores in the past, but I bought other people's designs to sell. All my fingers know how to do is type. ;-)(less)

Misfit
Just my opinion, but this was just a fluffy, oversexed wallpaper romance with a unbelievable plot that went on and on and on and on and on. Can Amy (Amethyst) the jeweler marry Colin Chase, Earl of Greystone? Or will he dump her for the wealthy heiress he's already formally betrothed to? And why isn't there one single person shocked at the idea of a lowly tradesperson marrying above her station?

Oh well, I see others have enjoyed it, but I didn't care for the characters, Amy being a bit too MaryS
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
Started out good, I liked the setting and time period and learning a little bit more about the London fires of 1666. I read a lot of historicals, but I am definitely far from an expert. Despite the setting and time period, this just didn't feel like a historical. The characters didn't really act or speak how I would expect them to for the time period and their stations. As for the characters, I wasn't really a fan. I thought Colin was very immature and didn't really care for some of his mean spi ...more
Gilgamesha
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
The book wasn't bad....I rather enjoyed it most of the time....but the scenes where the hero is throwing tantrums and telling his siblings how unfit and working class the heroine is I wanted to punch him....I also wanted to shake the heroine everytime she wanted to stay with him despite his reckless and mean comments....like seriously he just called unfit to become his wife so you go and sleep with him anyway???? No and the thing is he didn't even apologize for those things...like what? Outraged ...more
Mariana
I have read another book by this author and enjoyed it. It is not the writing style that threw me off, but I can't stand either the hero or the heroine.

I would be interested in reading another book set during the great fire in London.
Kirstin
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Generous 3 stars. I found myself not knowing what to rate this novel. It had a lot of right ingredients. Plot, well developed characters, drama. However the story dragged on for quite awhile. I kept thinking this is where it ends right? To find out I had still quite a bit left each time. Normally I like a long developed story. However I felt the same theme was dragged on even after it should have been resolved many times over. And it wasn't one I was big on. The big theme was the heroine thinkin ...more
Kim
Delving into the romance genre is not for the faint of heart. You can read a lot of really poorly written romances that just drag on and on and never go anywhere. I however like to think that reading the poorly written ones allows you to clearly know a gem when you read one. Lauren Royal's Amethyst is just that, a gem. (Yes, pun intended!)

Amy Goldsmith (although her real name is Amethyst) is a successful jewelry maker who has quite the unfortunate personal life. She is scheduled to marry a man w
Bark (Has Atrocious Taste)
Amethyst "Amy" Goldsmith, daughter of a jeweler, is an accomplished and talented jewelry maker who loves her craft and has a great passion for her work but her personal life is hardly as fulfilling. In just two weeks she will be wed to a man whom she does not love - a man who plans to keep her away from her work to make babies and keep his house all nice and tidy-like. Amy longs for love but will not hurt her father by backing out of the unwanted marriage. One day Colin Chase "Earl of Greystone" ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
This was a hard book to rate. I realized that this is a clean version of Amethyst. There were parts that I thought were unrealistic, and that figures, because they probably had a very different result in the other version of the book.

The setting is during the fires in London in the 1600's. Charles II has just returned to his throne. I loved that the setting was different than other stories that I have read. I imagine that the book follows a realistic social expectation of Amethyst and Collin. Th
Zoe
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
read a while ago but couldn't remember to review. rather forgettable story. i did not understand the appeal of the heroine. She was good at her trade and fell in love with the hero when he asked her to create a piece for him. I don't see the appeal of such a woman and have no interests in her love story.
Mela
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
[Edit, March 13th, 2018: Free on Amazon. If you like romances you can try it, but feel warned by my review]

[This is a short review of two books, I put it for both books]

I try from time to time with "bestselling romance author" (I call it that). I do it because sometimes Amazon makes sales promotion and secondly I wonder why those books are so "bestselling". This time I have tried with two books of Lauren Royal: "Amethyst" and "Tempting Juliana".

First of all, it isn't a great work of literature.
Melissa
I really enjoyed this story. It seemed to drag just a little in the middle but that might have just been my need to see them happy. This had good elements that lead to a believable, romance set in the time of London's great fire. I want to read more by this author. This was a clean read.
Lesley
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Delightful Read.
It's a long time since I read a novel set in the Restoration period and historical facts such as the Great Plague and Fire of London are skillfully woven into the story. Once started I couldn't put this book down and read it at one sitting. Thoroughly enjoyed the main characters and how they found a way to happily be together by the end. With thanks to the author for the epilogue (I enjoy an insight into characters several years hence).
Lori McD
3.5-4 stars

Set in London in 1666, "Amethyst" is the story of Amethyst (Amy) Goldsmith and Colin Chase, the Earl of Greystone.

Amy lives with her father in their Cheapside Goldsmith & Sons jewelry store. Her mother died just a year before during the Great Plague. Amy is affianced to Robert Stanley, her father's apprentice. It's tradition that if there are no sons in the family, that the eldest daughter marries the apprentice. Robert is from a good jewelry family. But as Amy's gotten to know h
Elis Madison

Amy (Amethyst) Goldsmith is a talented jeweler, not to mention the heiress to the family business and a trunk load of gold and jewels that her ancestors accumulated over generations. The hoard is a bit depleted by the Commonwealth years, when anything enjoyable or pretty was frowned upon.

But with the Restoration of King Charles II, things are looking up.

Amy was betrothed as an infant to Robert, the 2nd son of another jeweler, who is now her father's apprentice. But as the marriage draws close
Maria Dariotis
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amy ( Amethyst) and Colin the Earl of Greystone their story is such a wonderful romance I loved the way they met , I truly believe that she fell in love with him while she had gone to see the Kings coronation . He was magnificent on his stallion , and he took her breath away. Even though she was betrothed to Robert Stanley a man of her fathers choosing who also happened to be an apprentice in her fathers jewellery store . He never made her heart flutter as Colin did , just with one glimpse! As f ...more
Kristin Davison
The use of restoration England is an interesting setting, however once you got into the main body of the plot you would be forgiven for forgetting what setting it was placed in. Th author has obviously done a lot of research on the era but needs to add more.
The plot line was a bit absurd, a lot of coincidences where happening in order to make it move forward. It also reminded me of the plot line for the first in her clean regency series Alexandra.
However I did like the two mc's and I love the
Lorka
Apr 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf-at-all
Lol, I stopped reading when I got to the first practical joke that Colin played. I thought it was extremely idiotic and I knew right off that I wouldn't like him as a hero with tomfoolery immature behavior like that. Not very manly, hero-like in my opinion. I also thought the writing was .... different. The whole first scene in the jewelers when Colin comes in to buy a bracelet for his sister... it was just so awkward and I immediately became indifferent to the storyline. :(
Alathia Morgan
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this story. It has all of the elements that made you want to keep reading. When Amethyst and Mr. Chase meet they have no idea that circumstances will keep them together in a such a way that they must choose each other or lose everything they hold dear.
A couldn't put it down read with a compelling plot twists will have you up all night.
Loretta
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First time l have read any books from this author, l was'nt disappointed, loved this book.It kept me wanting to read more. It had romance, passion, everything you can except in a good book. Cant wait to read more.
Yasmin
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
DNF

This was too long, and getting nowhere fast, so I've given up on it. It was an easy read though,quite pretty
Courtney Stasko
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh my goodness I LOVED IT!!!! Absolutely no fillers. Every pages kept me eager for more story. The characters were beautifully developed and the scenes everything - I could feel it and see it for myself. So ready to devour the rest of her books
Alice
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of historic romance
Recommended to Alice by: Lauren Royal
I purchased this book when it was on sale for $0.99. I had read Lauren Royal's previous "free' offerings, and enjoyed them, and when the author said it was on for .99 cents I went and bought it.

It took me a surprisingly long time to read! Normal I devour romance novels—but this one took me about four days to read. I've been very busy recently, but it didn't engage me the way some other books do. However, I was interested in the characters, wanted to know what was going to happen, and wanted to f
Grace Elliot
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable historical romance that's a little bit different because it's set in the Restoration.
It's love at first sight for Amethyst when she sees the handsome Colin Chase in a procession celebrating the restoration of King Charles II -Just two problems stand in their way - she is a child and a jeweller's daughter and whilst he is an aristocrat gentleman.
The story picks up a few years later when Colin visits the jewellers where Amethyst works and although he can't admit it to himself, st
Peggy N
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of English Historical Romances
Recommended to Peggy by: Barnes and Noble Free Book
Amethyst by Lauren Royal is about the life of Amethyst Goldsmith. Amethyst is a jeweler in a time when Jewelers were men. The craft was handed down from generation to generation from father to son. She had no brother and the craftsmanship of their family was taught to her. She was promised in marriage to her father's apprentice as was the custom of the time. She did not love the apprentice and had sought to have her father call the marriage off. He would not telling her that she would carry on t ...more
Tales Untangled
In The Earl's London Bride I thought the setting was above average. The backdrop is during the Restoration of King Charles II in London. The Great Fire of London in 1666 is the catalyst for the romance of Colin and Amy. At this point I had great hope for the plot.

I was sadly mistaken. The plot devolved into maudlin dialogue and stolen kisses that melt, ect. I actually got excited when Colin was sent off to France by King Charles because I was looking forward to more historical facts.

Amy is writt
Donna
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vintage-romance
Maybe I was just sick of drivel but this was a refreshing break from the so so books I had been reading. I liked this book so much that I went ahead and bought four more from these authors. In doing so I discovered that this was originally written under a different title by the mother and then mother and daughter cleaned it up to give us this masterful piece of enjoyment. I am very pleased by their efforts.
Veronica Romano
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Adoro leggere libri di questo genere, cioè libri d'amore storici. Ne ho lette tanti, ma le vicende tra Amethyst e Colin mi hanno affascinata e rilassata. Trovo che questo sia un libro molto ben scritto, che mi ha fatto entrare nella storia e mi ha fatto vivere tante emozioni. Non vedo l'ora di conoscere gli altri Chase. Voto 5 stelle e Consigliatissimo!!!
Rachel C.
This is officially a favorite historical of mine. I loved the mix of history, jewels and mayhem. I laughed really hard at times; I thought the story was wonderful and well put together. Definitely going to be reread at some point...
Tyler Leigh
Sep 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-challenge
*eye roll* boy did this feel like it too forever to get through. I ended up skimming the second half of the book because I was bored.
Nook books: April 28, 2017 1 2 Apr 28, 2017 07:01PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 02, 2016 10:43AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 12, 2015 11:20AM
  • Romancing Lady Stone (School of Gallantry, # 6)
  • Caroline (Beauvisage, #1)
  • The Seduction of Emily
  • The Seduction of Lady Phoebe (The Marriage Game, #1)
  • Myriah Fire
  • Lady Star (Sir Edward Series, #2)
  • Sea Scoundrel (Knave of Hearts #1)
  • The Captive
  • The Defiant Governess (Lessons in Love, #1)
  • Emerald Desire (The Emerald Trilogy #1)
  • Savage Destiny (The Hearts Of Liberty, #1)
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • Lord of the Sea (Heroes of the Sea, #6)
  • The Best Intentions (Country House Party, #2)
  • Heiress Without a Cause (Muses of Mayfair, #1)
  • Indiscreet (London Friends, #1)
  • Highland Barbarian (Highlander, #1)
  • Salt Bride (Salt Hendon, #1)
I decided to become a writer in the third grade (or, as my Canadian friends call it, grade three), after winning a "Why My Mother is the Greatest" essay contest and having my entry published in a major newspaper. Seeing my words in print was a thrill! But everyone told me it's too hard for novelists to get published, so after college I spent fourteen years as the CEO of my own jewelry store chain ...more

Chase Family (8 books)
  • Emerald (The Jewel Trilogy, #2)
  • Forevermore (The Jewel Trilogy #2.5)
  • Amber (The Jewel Trilogy, #3)
  • Violet (The Flower Trilogy, #1)
  • Lily (The Flower Trilogy, #2)
  • Rose (The Flower Trilogy, #3)
  • A Secret Christmas (Chase Family #8)
“Love was dangerous. It made one too vulnerable, too open to the pain of loss and betrayal.” 1 likes
“Men can be so stupid sometimes. Are you sure you want to marry this one?” 0 likes