Start by marking “Flicker (Defying Death #1)” as Want to Read:
Flicker (Defying Death #1)

Flicker (Defying Death #1)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  22 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
My name is Catalina Franklin. And I should be dead. When Death called my number, sending one of her Guides to take my soul, she didn't count on one thing. The Guide she sent - He was made for me, and I for him. Pulling me back from the arms of Death, Telor changed my fate - and his. Now we're left with the question of not only how he's still here, by why. Will we get the a ...more
Published August 31st 2014 by Smashwords Edition (first published July 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Flicker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flicker

RoroG
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't typically read paranormal romances, but I found myself really into this book. There were times where I remember thinking "this is *really* good!"
The pacing kept me interested, there's some humor sprinkled throughout and, of course, romance.
After I finished it, I actually missed the story (it does end in a cliffhanger--I happen to like those).
There were times that the plot felt over complicated and I had a hard time keeping track of all the entities in this world. I wish there was more
Erika Eck
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flicker Review (Spoiler-free)

Just from the cover alone, I was DYING to read Flicker! There have only been a few books where I’ve looked at the cover and decided I had to read it. Flicker was one of those.

Then, I read the synopsis and I was a goner.

The storyline kept me guessing. The characters weren't shallow in the least, they had depth to them that a lot of stories lack. Not once did I find myself getting bored with the writing or the scenarios, Flicker kept me guessing and then, at some poin
Jennifer LaFon - Book Bitches Blog
*A review copy received from the author for an honest review*

It has been a LONG time since I dipped back into the paranormal romance reading world. Paranormal use to be my main reading genre’. So a chance to see if I still enjoy it as much as I use to excited me. And Telor and Lina’s story reminded me that I need to read more paranormal :) I very much enjoyed their story.One of the things I love about paranormal is I am not constantly relating them to real life. While reading them, I truly am ge
Amy Mcnea
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say but wow. I don't usually read this type of book so it took me a little while to get into it, but once I did I couldn't stop thinking about these characters & what was going to happen next. The story line really started getting good & had me wondering what could happen next. I love all the different characters & hope other books delve into their lives ( or non lives) as well. I am looking forward to much more from this author in the future.
Jane
Sep 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flicker (Defying Death #1) by Courtney Houston

3 Stars

Flicker is a simply written story about a girl who should have died but her guide to the other side saved her because he felt a connection to her. She also felt connected to him though their love was doomed from the start and their road to happiness was neither simple nor assured.

I found the concept of this book interesting, paranormal romance is a genre I love to read, but this story was so slow to start I had to force myself to continue to
Cupcakes and vodka Book Blog
*****Warning there some Adult Scenes and a little Violence********

This is the First book in the series.

I bought this book at a Signing and met the author she spoke so passionately about her story I couldn't help but buy it. I can tell you this Courtney Huston Writes just as passionately as she tells about her book.

What Happens when you cheat Death? Well First you have to figure out how it is you cheated death, or maybe not how but who. Cat is a workaholic. She has a no strings attached relations
Elizabeth
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*****Warning there some Adult Scenes and a little Violence********

This is the First book in the series.

GL Skye
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-library
Flicker is not my typical genre; however I found the book to be well written and intriguing. The characters are well defined and believable. The book is a bit of a mystery with a romantic twist. I highly recommend this book to other readers, even if it may not seem to be your preferred genre.
Maria Garcia-Hidalgo
Great book! I love the characters, they make you feel like you are there with them...through the emotions...everything.
Andrea Doss
Apr 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
interesting plot
Melody
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
My first Courtney Houston novel - not likely my last although I had a bit of a struggle through the first chapter I was suddenly pulled into it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Telor is a spirit guide for death, and is supposed to be helping cross Catalina over when she dies. For some reason he can't do it but knows that he is connected to her soul, and helps keep her alive.

Lina - is a workaholic, working for a workaholic curator at an American History Museum. She has one roomate that fancies himself i
Geneva Handleman
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a really interesting premise. I love the idea of siblings as Death, Life and Fate. Each ruling over Guides, Spinners and Weavers, as we mere mortals wander through our daily lives.

From that fascinating idea, this author has created a captivating story with characters that are well developed surprisingly quickly. I didn't expect to like them so well so soon!!

I knew about two thirds of the way in that it was going to be part of a series, there was just entirely too much that had to happen
Tianna Mikula
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good storyline, needs more editing.

I debated on how many stars to give. My issues with typos and grammar wanted me to give this book a 3, but I did enjoy the story outside of those issues...hence the 4. The story focuses on Catalina and Telor and the strange way they find themselves drawn together. As the story unfolds, you learn of everyone that has their hands in the lives of this human and spirit guide. Not a bad read. Short and sweet enough for me to read start to finish on a lazy weekend.
Peggy
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I believe this is the first time reading by Courtney Houston and I must say I am pretty impressed with the works of this book. Not my normal read by any means but I have been stepping more into this area of reading for awhile now. This book is well balanced with suspense, romance and paranormal that you get a little of it all here which makes this book pretty amazing! The title threw me off some but once you get behind the cover.. well.... you'll have to find out for yourself!

*Received for an ho
Mar 21, 2014
Misty Chancellor
Sep 22, 2016
Courtney Houston
Feb 17, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Tasha Ann
Apr 23, 2016
  • The Forgotten
  • Aleron: Book One of Strigoi Series
  • The Promises She Keeps
  • Hacienda Moon (PathSeekers, #1)
  • Island of Tory (Island of Tory, #1)
  • In the River Darkness
  • Hollow (Perfect Little Pieces #1)
  • Dead World (Dead World #1)
  • Felinian (Book of the Felinian, #1)
  • Aisling's Woods
  • The Kindred Curse Anthology
  • The Baker's Man
  • Ashlyn's Radio

Defying Death (3 books)
  • Shatter (Defying Death #2)
  • Linger (Defying Death #3)