Start by marking “What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About(TM): Premenopause: Balance Your Hormones and Your Life from Thirty to Fifty” as Want to Read:

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  385 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
A safe, effective hormone balance program for women aged 30-50 suffering from premenopause syndrome. Restore and maintain gynecological health, sex drive, and energy.

I'm too young for menopause. So why do I feel like this? Even if you're a decade or more away from menopause, your hormones may already be out of balance, usually caused by an excess of estrogen and a deficien
Published January 1st 1999 by Grand Central Life & Style

To ask other readers questions about What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About(TM), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About(TM)

Erin Odom
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every woman needs to read this book! I believe knowledge is power, and reading this book has empowered me by knowing my body more. It's also encouraged me to take more time for self care.

If I could have given it 4 1/2 stars, I would have, but only for these reasons:

1. It was written in the late 90s, so some information is a bit outdated.

2. The authors said oats and quinoa contain gluten. That is simply not true.

3. The authors seemed to think natural progesterone is a cure-all.

All that said, wh
Jen
Premenopause is kind of a scary term, but basically fits the ages 30 to 50. I liked the book, found many nuggets to take away. Two issues. One,I would have liked to see the author emphasize testing more strongly, I feel everyone should test before taking any hormone, period. My second issue is that it recommends progesterone cream for pretty much everything (I expected this, Lee came up with the stuff). To my understand, there is a good chunk of research that shows women need to be extremely car ...more
Natalie
Jan 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title may throw you off because you think, "I'm not even CLOSE to menopause, what does this have to do with me?" But the truth is I believe every woman should read this book. Do you wonder about why there are so many women these days who have trouble conceiving? Do you wonder why girls are hitting puberty faster? Do you wonder about things like breast cancer and ovarian cancer and if there's anything you can do about it? Do you care about about your own reproductive health as well as the rep ...more
Doris Jean
The authors are sharing inside information about hormones and hormone balance. I think both sexes of all ages would learn something from this book. Both sexes concerned with any aspect of fertility (whether birth control or low sperm counts or fibroids) will especially learn from this book. This book is broad and wide-ranging. The book covers much more than just menopause. Much more!

The book seems clear and accurate and sincere, except that menopause is exaggerated and dramatized in the same way
Neeter L
Mar 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend men read this too! It gives a clear concise picture of what is going on in our women, in your life!

Dr. John Lee~

So, you want to try natural hormones. Great! But before you take pills, rub on cream, or apply patches, it’s important to know the basics of what you’re doing and why. Hormones bring important messages to every cell of your body, with potent results. The hormone imbalances that led you to this book in the first place can be corrected—or made worse—depending on your treatme
Robyn
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a life changing book to read. I know the title is a little overwhelming but the book really has nothing to do with menopause so don't be afraid! The book talks about how when you are 15-30 your body can bounce back from a lot of things that throw you off balance when you get a little older & have more kids/responsibility/stress. It is so interesting how so many of the things that we do each day and things that we are exposed to in the environment can effect our bodies. I had no idea ...more
Teri
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is a must read for women, even those who have no reproductive issues. A detailed yet accessible book that explains the causes, symptoms and treatment of hormonal imbalances in women - many if not most of which go undiagnosed and untreated, or misdiagnosed and improperly treated. Full of case study examples that illustrate what can happen with different imbalances, I found myself thinking of at least one woman I knew with the stories presented in each new chapter.
Enormously useful, s
Kathleen
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all women
Ok, don't think I'm crazy for reading this even though I'm only 33! It's all about hormone balance and how being off-balance effects your health. It also talks about the dangers of hormonal contraceptives (ie the pill), and gives suggestions for keeping your hormones in balance. I figure it's never to early to learn about this stuff since I'll be dealing with it eventually!
Aimee
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How did I get through college without hearing about this book??? It is the best book I have read on natural ways to balance hormones -- completely in line with my philosophies on natural healing, stress management, and life as a woman. A fantastic asset for any practioner to own!
Angela
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book is awesome. I love how it promotes balance and provides a thorough education on the subject.
Krissy Neddo
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read in a balanced approach to managing hormone changes as women age. A bit dated, but information, thoughts, ideas about women's experiences are still helpful. Agree with other reviewers that some of the interviews/stories of women were a bit far fetched or that even though I have similar experiences and follow the same regimen, I would not experience that "perfect" outcome.
Skipped some of those, because as the author stresses- each woman's symptoms and response are unique and that testi
Francine M. Verdine
I liked this book a lot. It took a difficult subject ad made it reader friendly.
Monica
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Simply written, clear and full of useful information and studies cited to show women that there are alternatives to the dangers of conventional HRT. Every woman should read this. Dr Lee has made a difference to thousands of women through the safe and effective use of bioidentical progesterone.

As he has pointed out, progesterone is measured in nanogrammes while estrogen is measured in microgrammes. This shows that our body produces and needs more progesterone relative to estrogen. When we approa
Shana
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not planning to finish this book, start to finish, but will use it as a reference. Why? Because the edition I have was published in 1999 and with 15 years of additional research and information, I want to come closer to the present. I give 4 stars rather than 3 assuming that more recent editions solve this problem.

This book is importan to me because it describes me in so many ways. After years of symptoms, then the blood test of my FSH levels that simultaneously confirmed that 1) all my sym
Debbie
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-wellness
This book more closely relates to women ages 30 to 50 who haven't yet gone through menopause. The term "premenopause," the authors explain, is not a real medical term, but describes the 15 to 20 years of hormonal ups and downs that precede the end of menses. I'm sure anyone who has had irregular periods or moods swings associated with their cycles can relate to the issues this book addresses.

Dr. Lee wrote the book What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You about Menopause and is a co-author of this book
Stephanie
Somewhat outdated but helpful.
Donna Cardinale
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The information shared in this book about natural progesterone cream convinced me to start using it. At that time I had breast fibroids which my doctor assured me could have turned cancerous. I was going through having mammograms and breast ultrasounds alternately every three months. However, after 3 months after using the cream my next mammogram showed absolutely no fibroids. I wish I had known about this before my hysterectomy several years before, which was due to fibroids in the uterus. If I ...more
Mickalene
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book came recommended by a friend. I learned so much about hormones and my body by reading this book -- more so than any other research I've done and talking to countless doctors. VERY informative, a must-read for all women, especially if having fertility issues or being told by their doctor they need a hysterectomy. Wish I would have read it before I started having children. It provides a natural, more gentle approach to taking care of our bodies than what is current practice by doctors an ...more
Emma Stockwell
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the medical jargon I found this book to be a real eye-opener! Having just reached the grand age of 40 I started getting some changes..well we won't go in to that but it was enough for me to read up some more about the premenopause or perimenopause.

Being quite an old book now I am sure that some of what the authors say has been proved/disproved and I have not had the time to look in to all that yet. But, a lot of the claims in the book certainly make sense and I think all over 30's shoul
Rachel
Jan 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit, I'm at that age when this book is relevant. Good information, but poor documentation of research; for example: the claim that fish is better for us than flax as a source of Omega 3 b/c flax leads to imbalance, but no reference of any study done to support the claim (not to mention that there was no distinction made between the dangers of farmed fish or the environmental consequences of ocean-caught fish). I am, happy with their encouragment to avoid factory-raised meats, which m ...more
Elaine
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm..... the book gives a heads up to alternative options that one may not be presented with while visiting a conventional doctor. I tend to be suspicious when claims are made regarding conspiracies in terms of Big Pharma and how they will influence policy and medicine. I think this book could have been written without that aspect. Just show the science or how current understanding is flawed. Leave the politics out.

I should also add that I tend to be skeptical of anyone that criticizes suppleme
Mandy Dale
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Information is clear and concise, easy enough for the layperson to understand. It covers a great many areas of bodily functions and more details are given the further the book is read, enabling the reader to discern what is necessary and superfluous before initiating laboratory testing, etc.

Spoke to a registered dietitian today and it was obvious that she was not familiar with most of the information in this book which given it yet another reassurance that this information is truly unique and i
Amy Shaw
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every woman should read this book. It is loaded with great information on how our bodies work and how important the roles of hormones are to your body working correctly. It's a tuff read. Lots of medicial and chemical references - it's like reading a text book. But there is still great information in the book and many stories about women who have used natural means to relieve symptoms related to hormonal issues.
Feb 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book! This is the first I've read about hormones and I am looking forward to talking to my doctor about it. I am particulary interested in using progesterone cream for my PMS symptoms which have worsened since hitting 30. I would reccommend this to anyone who is 30 years old and over.
Genevieve
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great information, I was having all of the classic premenopausal symptoms, crazy how accurate he was. Using my Arbonne progesterone cream and poof, no more issues...
Every woman should read this book - very important! He links cancers and all kinds of issues like weight loss to a need for progesterone and too much estrogen.
I'm so glad I read this book! Finally the answers to my questions regarding what is wrong with me! I. So grateful to these doctors for all of this information!
Teresa
Jun 06, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the 1999 edition that was in my library and it's probably best that the 2005 edition is read to get the new stuff. Reading this book, my first thought was that Dr. Lee has been proven right as far as his condemnation of HRT goes, and there's a lot of other important stuff too, even in the '99 edition.
Natasha
Feb 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is interesting to think that our hormones are being changed by all of the pollutions and chemicals we are exposed to everyday. It is interesting to learn more about natural progesterone replacement. It has given me a theory for some the things I am experiencing.
Rebekah M.
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have a vagina, please read this book! Migraines, mood swings, perhaps a doctor pressuring you to undergo girly surgery? Synthetic hormones? Birth control? You MUST read this to understand how hormones work!
Debbie Wells
Mar 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any woman going through any phase of menopause.
This was the second book of Dr. John Lee's that I have read and it was just as spectacular as the first. Written in plain English....no more confusion about wether I need estrogen or progesterone! Amazing information....life changing and liberating for sure.
  • Before the Change: Taking Charge of Your Perimenopause
  • Your Cat: Simple New Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life
  • Herbal Antibiotics: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug Resistant Bacteria (Storey Medicinal Herb Guide)
  • The Hormone Cure: Reclaim Balance, Sleep, Sex Drive and Vitality Naturally with the Gottfried Protocol
  • Cancer: Step Outside the Box
  • The Healing Code: 6 Minutes to Heal the Source of Your Health, Success, or Relationship Issue
  • Oil Pulling Therapy: Detoxifying and Healing the Body Through Oral Cleansing
  • Stop the Thyroid Madness
  • Acupressure's Potent Points: A Guide to Self-Care for Common Ailments
  • This Is Why You're Sick and Tired: (And How to Look and Feel Amazing)
  • Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • Ancient Secret of the Fountain of Youth
  • The MELT Method: A Breakthrough Self-Treatment System to Eliminate Chronic Pain, Erase the Signs of Aging, and Feel Fantastic in Just 10 Minutes a Day!
  • Prisoners of Hate: The Cognitive Basis of Anger, Hostility, and Violence
  • The Wisdom of Menopause: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing During the Change
  • Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance, and Casein-free Living: 1
  • Tired of Being Tired
  • You Become What You Think About: How Your Mind Creates The World You Live In
John R. Lee, M.D., ( - October 17th, 2003) was a pioneer and expert in the study and use of the hormone progesterone, and on the subject of hormone replacement therapy for women.
More about John R. Lee

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99