Start by marking “The Murderers' Club (Sophie Anderson, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Murderers' Club (Sophie Anderson, #2)

The Murderers' Club

(Sophie Anderson #2)

FBI profiler Sophie Anderson is struggling to move beyond a case that six months ago nearly cost her her life and even now threatens her sanity.

She is increasingly haunted by her ability to experience the minds of killers in the throes of heinous crimes; her talent is uncontrollable and unpredictable. But these intensely sickening flashes often serve as invaluable clues i
Published November 20th 2007 by MIRA (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Murderers' Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Murderers' Club

Kathrynn
The second book involving FBI Profiler, Sophie Anderson and is a standard fiction-thriller (no romance), involving tracking down serial killers who meet in a chat room, spun off their private website.

Sophie goes on vacation to Arizona to stay with her friend "Darren" from the first book. Darren is a local police officer and they end up working on the serial killings that begin in his district.

Sophie has psychic abilities and Darren had an aunt that had a similar ability. It frustrated me that S
Donna
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. FBI profiler Sophie Anderson has the ability to see what's happening to victims of killers. Although she realizes she can solve cases with this psychic ability, the visions are horrific and she tries to repress the images. She takes off on a week's vacation to Arizona but winds up in the middle of a serial killer case along with her friend Detective Darren Carter and his partner Stone. Chat room conversations show 4 serial killers who have teamed up to go on a killing spree -- America ...more
Amy
Dec 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This thriller is #2 in the Australian, FBI Profiler, Sophie Anderson series (behind Body Count).

Sophie is increasingly haunted by her ability to experience the minds of killers in the throes of heinous crimes; her talent is uncontrollable and unpredictable, but these flashes often serve as invaluable clues not only to the character, but the reader, as well.

When Darren Carter, a Tucson police detective and friend, asks Sophie to come to Arizona for a vacation, she's relieved to take a break. Bu
Wendyb
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Although I admit that I couldn't put the book down, it's the kind of story where, about fifty pages from the end you realize that you really don't fucking care what happens because the characters are so poorly developed that they've begun to flop in and out of scenes like the cardboard cutouts that they are. I mean, if Sophie has this power that she can use to solve crimes and she just spends most of her time blocking it, well, what kind of investigator, let alone decent human being is she??? An ...more
Brenda
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After the horrors of Sophie Anderson’s last case six months ago, the Slasher case, (Body Count) she needed a break, so decided a week in Tucson, Arizona would be a nice, relaxing experience. (Sophie is an Aussie, living and working for the FBI in Quantico as a profiler, and loves her work.) She was going to catch up with Detective Darren Carter whom she met and worked with on the Slasher case, as he had a few days off as well, so they were going to play ‘tourist’. Darren was also the only person ...more
Lindsey
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, mystery, dark
Richard Derus
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Rating: 2.5* of five

Sophie Anderson has a gift: She can "hear" what's going on in the minds of serial killers. It makes her very valuable at the FBI, as you can imagine, but it also keeps her on the fraying edge of total, irretrievable burnout. Shortly after a successfully solved case nearly costs her her life, Sophie takes an Arizona vacation to rest and recuperate.

Ha.

A rash of killings occur, clearly related but with key differences. It's the differences that alert Our Heroine to the fact that
Daniel Lassiter
Oct 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm not marking this 5 stars because I keep in contact with the author of this book, I'm marking it because it was fast paced and it was nicely done. From the profle template that was used for Sophie's profile to the chatroom format was nice. I knew as I got to the end with one character there was something off even though Sophie's visions were proved to be correct even though, but it carries onto the next book.
Samantha Cheney
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was a great mystery/suspense. Although the book could easily be predicted, it still kept my interest, and I hardly put it down. I love the way the author writes as well. I like that he included normal text, but also like online messaging chats between the killers. The alternating between the two was great.
Deanna
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of suspence/thrillers
Just finished. What a great read!! Kept my interest so much so that when I wasn't actually reading the book, I was thinking about reading it! hahaha Liked the characters, it was well paced, first-person narration which I love! Just a touch of sexual tension, maybe too little perhaps... Definitely picking up the other 2 in the series! :D
Georgiann Hennelly
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an insane thriller .I think the most interesting thing is you get small bits and pieces from the killers perspective. Along with Sophie,s visions and the suspense of the storyline, this is a really gripping read can,t wait to read more books by this author.
Jess
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book had me on edge, wanting to know who were the killers and who were the victims. The author really had a good story line and it had me turning the page and wanting to know what was happening next. I loved that the romance was kept to a minimum and the thriller really took hold. The ending is where it left me wanting more. It will be interesting to see if American Psycho makes his return in books to come. While reading this book I found Body Count (Sophie Anderson #1) in an op shop and I ...more
Erica
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
My biggest issue with the book was self inflicted, since I missed the fact that this is the second in a series so if I get to the first one I may up my rating. It was a really interesting concept. I really appreciated the focus on the procedural side of things without romanticizing the killers. The insight into the more technical side of the investigation was really interesting as well. My main complaint is there was a romance side plot that felt very forced and maybe a bit of wish fulfillment? ...more
Mary
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: vaginal-mystery
Had this book on my shelves (not sure why I have it), and I decided to read it since I've been on a mystery kick lately. It really seemed to drag, and I had to skip a lot of the descriptions of what happened to the victims. I went to see how many pages were left until the ending and ended up reading it. I don't think this series is for me....
Andrea Corley
For a more in depth review, please visit my blog, Chorley Chronicals, HERE!

I am so thrilled that I have found P.D. Martin and also that I have been able to share it with many friends, as I have found the Sophie Anderson series to be so entertaining and enjoyable to read. The Murderers' Club certainly was no exception!

Every book of Martin's that I read, the more impressed I become with her writing skills! I've said it before and I'll say, that I thoroughly appreciate the descriptive nature of Ma
Cassandra
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize this is the second book in a series until I was about half way through it, so I will have to go back and read the first one soon. This has got to be one of the best mystery/suspense books I have read in a LONG time. From the first chapter, I was hooked. I finished this book in record time, staying up until 3am, until my eyes wouldn't stay open any longer.
The plot was very unique and it was interesting how we got just a glimpse of the club via chats. The investigation aspect of i
Rachel Groves
The second book in the Sophie Anderson series and another great read. This time it's a mix of cyber crime and real life murders as a group of serial killers communicate over the internet as part of a club engaged in a sick game selecting victims, methods and eventually killing.

Sophie, an FBI profiler Aussie by birth, also gets visions and dreams often from the killer's perspective that she's investigating. She's developed this skill a little since the first book but she's very much an FBI office
Teresa in ohio
May 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
This is the follow up to . Sophie is suppose to be on vacation and decides to travel to Arizona to meet up with Darren and see the sites. Right after landing, he gets a call about an odd murder, even though he is on vacation too. It seems that bodies are being found with no clues except details from other murders making it seem like their are many killers on the loose. The author gives us details of the killers through voice mail chats. I was enthralled with learning how forensic criminal compu ...more
Leah Hess
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the second in P.D. Martin's Sophie Anderson series about an FBI profiler who is able to see things through the eyes of killers. I know the title is lame not very eye-catching, but the content and plot make up for it! The Murderer's Club is about a group of wealthy killers who have a private chat room and videos of victims. Together, they plot who will die, who will kill them, and the rest watch. There were exciting twists along the way that kept me wanting more. I'm super excited to ...more
Annie
P.D. Martin is a suspenseful writer. All P.D. Martin’s stories are a blending of science and fact, with a pinch of supernatural (limited to a seer of sorts, nothing more), a dash of flirtation between the characters relationships outside of work, and a whole lot of a determined FBI behavior profile work to crack the various serial cases we are swept up into while reading P.D. Martin.

The Murderers’ Club is another thrilling novel following Sophie on her chase to track down the victims and wherea
Jenna
Apr 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Overall, I really did like the story. Although, I felt like a lot of the terms were dumbed down for us to understand, I didn't think that was necessary since this was second book needless to say, so it got on my nerves a bit.

I was wishing for more interaction with Darren and Sophie though, they are great characters! Also, I would have loved to seen a conclusion happen with Josh! The whole getting transferred left me asking a ton of questions! Im onto fanmail now!! So i am hoping for some more e
Ashlen Taylor
Apr 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty bloody awful. Honestly I'm always struck with a bit of admiration for anyone who manages to pump out a book to the point of publication. It's no mean feat. However, I found this book vaguely insulting to my intelligence and so can only imagine that the author must have written something else that was pretty special for this to get overlooked. It's full of plot holes, crappy dialogue and characters that aren't remotely believable. I'm really disappointed with my first taste o ...more
Patt
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
The second book in the series about FBI profiler, Sophie Anderson is fast moving and, based on some of the news stories we see, somewhat believable. A group of murderers join a club by private invitation from another discussion board. They then proceed to video tape their tortures for the other members of the club. Sophie and her fellow agents catch all but one member, but they don't realize he is actually the leader of the group. I'm sure he will show up in a sequel.
Terri
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read Body Count, the first in this series a couple months ago and really looked forward to number two. And I wasn't disappointed. A couple dead bodies turn up with similar signatures to prior crimes, but not quite. And it looks like the victims are being lured into a fake reality show situation by a quartet of serial killers who have formed an online club. I liked how the pieces fell together and though I "knew" the twist at the end, it was satisfying.

Havefaith
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read by PD Martin, but I really enjoyed it. It was fast paced and easy to read. The suspense was pretty good up until the end. Maybe I've read too much, or watched way too many police shows, but I had the true master mind pegged way before it was revealed at the end. Of course, I had to finish the book to make sure I was correct.

Give it a read, you won't be disappointed.
Marti
Oct 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Sophie Anderson goes to Arizona for what she thinks will be a vacation, after a grueling case with thr FBI. Originally from Australia, she uses her profiling background, and ability to sense what is happening by visions into helping with a case involving several murderers--hence the title--some underground facilities and numerous high tech equipment, to systematically murder unwitting men and women who think that they are participating in a tv reality show. Not for the squeamish!
Jane
Feb 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, mystery
I like the main character in this book but thought she let a lot of the investigation progress in a less then professional manner. Additionally I thought she and her fellow investigator were much too quick to accept that they had found the ultimate villain. Will I read the next? Probably, because I do like the mix of mystery and psychic abilities.
Betsy
The Murderers' Club by P.D. Martin is the second book in the Sophie Anderson series. This is fast becoming one of my favorite series. I love the FBI profiling aspect especially how the writer includes entire profiles of the unsubs. The plot in this book was very intriguing and pulls you from the get-go. I will definitely continue on with the series. Bring on more serial killers! 5 stars
Cat Woods
Aug 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
Terrible plot. So many cliches I could have hunted down PD Martin and whacked her to death with a thesaurus. Horrible. Then the ending is as absurd and predictable as you feared. Save yourself time, read the first and last page and you can pretty much assume the whole middle.
Sabrina
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall a good read- not as good as the first Sophie Anderson book (body count) but held my attention. Maybe a little less "filler" would have made the story a little easier to follow, but I still plan to read the next book in line- Fan Mail.
« previous 1 3 next »
Sisterhood of the...: The Murderers' Club by P.D. Martin (#2 in series) 11 9 Feb 24, 2014 02:58PM
Goodreads Librari...: New issue of a book 2 21 Nov 05, 2012 11:28AM

• Stalking the Vampire
  • The Stolen (Henry Parker #3)
  • Charmed Circle (A Cass Shipton Mystery, #2)
  • A Spell for the Revolution (Traitor to the Crown, #2)
  • The Grim Reaper's Dance (Grim Reaper Mystery, #2)
  • Fatal Enemy (Jess Kimball Thriller #0.5)
  • Lost Girls (Sherry Moore, #3)
  • A Drunkard's Path (Someday Quilts Mystery, #2)
  • When Good Wishes Go Bad (As You Wish, #2)
  • Old Maid's Puzzle (A Quilting Mystery, #2)
  • Ghosts & Echoes (Shadows Inquiries #2)
  • Shadow Chase (Shadowchasers, #2)
  • Torn   (Randall Shane, #3)
  • Diary of a Radical Mermaid (Waterlilies, #2)
  • Sleepwalker (Nightwatcher #2)
  • Payback
  • Crimson & Steam (Crimson City, #8)
  • Malicious Intent (Dr. Anya Crichton, #1)
P.D. Martin--Phillipa Deanne Martin--was born in Melbourne, Australia, and developed a passion for crime fiction and storytelling at an early age. This interest was backed up with formal education through a bachelor of behavioral sciences (with majors in psychology and criminology) and a postgraduate certificate in professional writing (creative writing).

Phillipa also writes children's and young a

Sophie Anderson (6 books)
  • Body Count (Sophie Anderson,  #1)
  • Fan Mail (Sophie Anderson, #3)
  • The Killing Hands (Sophie Anderson,  #4)
  • Kiss Of Death (Sophie Anderson, #5)
  • Coming Home (Sophie Anderson, #6)