Start by marking “On The Rocks” as Want to Read:
On The Rocks

On The Rocks

Listening Length: 1 hour and 46 minutes

A story from the Dreamspinner Press 2012 Advent Calendar collection Evergreen.

Audiobook, Unabridged, 2 pages
Published November 10th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press (first published November 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about On The Rocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On The Rocks

Start your review of On The Rocks
Jen
3.5ish stars?

I have to tell you, this rating is NOT based on the quality of the writing. It's based purely on my enjoyment of the story. If I rated it on quality alone, it would probably be around a 2.5 to 3 stars.

The dialogue is outrageously cheesy. The plot is super predictable. Aidan committed one of my #1 pet peeves by (view spoiler). Not to mention the need to suspend disbelief over the failure to (view spoiler)
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.4 Stars

A bit unbelievable given the premise: (view spoiler). And I hated how he treated Mal once it was discovered. BUT I do like the character growth & his effort to heal emotional scars. Plus, Friends to Lovers trope is one of my faves.

Mal was amazing and I'm not sure, even at the
Ami
I keep wishing that these authors new releases to give me the satisfaction I got from their first debut. Alas, it didn't happen yet.

I loved the idea -- of two best friends, and the precious rocks as birthday/Christmas presents. But I got turned off fast with the sex scenes. Probably because the previous 4 stories I bought for this year's DSP's Advent Calendar didn't have them (or fade to black), I was not in the mood for them.

Yes, there was still enough stories outside the bedroom. But I
Jessica

I liked the premise of the book and I thought it had potential, but the author ruined it for me with horribly cheesy dialogue and over-the-top sugary sweetness. This isn't a bad book if you like that sort of thing, except I didn't think that the writing really stood out either. Plus, I don't believe for one second that two people who have known each other for 12 years wouldn't (view spoiler)
Sheri
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boyz-luvin-boyz
Safe & treasured. Crossroads impasse. Short & sweet.
Aidan has one person he trusts and loves, his best friend Mal.
Mal returns this love with fervor, and becomes Aidan’s rock in more way than one.
A masked encounter breaches their safety zone, and forces them to a crossing that Aidan never wanted to face.
Trust, friendship and love are on the line.
Unrealistic and predictable yet, I enjoyed it nevertheless.
I adored everything about Mal, his secret ink was tender and sweet. Aidan had his
Serena Yates
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
Great friendships are not a guarantee for easy communication, and this story proves that beyond the shadow of a doubt. Mal and Aidan may think they know each other after 12 years of being very close friends, but the truth is that there are parts of Aidan he has kept hidden, and parts of Mal that he's never wanted to show. Denial of the things they each don’t want to see about the other does the rest, and you end up with a situation where each knows exactly how to hurt the other, but not ...more
Lucy
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 I loved the beginning of this. Mal and Aidan are best friends – Aidan is a rich man who people glom onto for his connections or money. Mal doesn’t care about that stuff and every year on Aidan’s birthday and Christmas Mal gives Aidan a rock, sometimes precious, sometimes ordinary, but always with a story. Aidan appreciates this more than he ever lets Mal know. Mal puts up with Aidan’s crap (like showing up late) and is always there for Aidan. On this momentous birthday, Mal gives Aidan the ...more
Arthur
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A sweet, nice Christmas story with a bit of angst, and a lot of rocks.

What I liked:
- Mal didn't give in right away
- Aidan had to go through self discovery and rough paths before Mal accepted him back
- Reference to It's a Wonderful Life
- Little fire tattoo

What I never understand is the Clark Kent - Lois Lane problem. You know, a pair of glasses and hair style are enough to throw off Lois about Superman? Now, if you're close to a person for years, wouldn't you know their body gesture,
Becca
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a sweet story. Sometimes love is right in front of us where we least expect it. We just have to reach out and grab it.
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
H Beeyit
Ehh, can I give this two stars for the sex scenes and four stars for the rest of it? I liked the leads a lot, liked the build-up, but the sex scenes were littered with things that make me roll my eyes. If only there were a drinking game for this sort of thing. Unironic use of the term "lover" the second the action heads toward the bedroom? DRINK. But if I had been playing a drinking game, I would have been unconscious long before the end of this story. Farewell, liver.

This had the bones of a
Awilk -never sleeps-
too short for my usual tastes, but I enjoyed this very much.
Nikki
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Sappy short. The writing itself was good, but the story was meh. Is it really possible of to fuck your best friend without realizing it? Anyway, this had one of those things that always makes me roll my eyes — the exclusive top with control issues and other hang-ups redeems himself & proves his love by bottoming :/
Katherine
Sweet, but for the short it felt that the resolution was to easy. The build to it was well done and thought through, with no easy fix it give. But then there is a bit of a jump in time and a jump in ease of fixing that just felt too sudden given the situation. It was good but just a little too easy.
Nicole
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely read. Enjoyable. Quick Read.
T.M. Smith
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mal and Aidan have been best friends for many years. They have shared the highs and lows life has thrown at them and they have no secrets. Well, aside from the little detail that Mal is in love with Aidan. Every year for birthdays and holidays, Mal brings Aidan a rock from wherever he happens to be on his latest trip for work, but this year he brings Aidan something a little bit different, something special.

Everything changes the night Mal and Aidan attend a Halloween themed Masquerade party
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
3 1/2 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

Mal and Aidan have been best friends for years, and Mal always gifts Aidan rocks and fossils with a story behind them, Aidan loves these gifts more than anything in the world and he cherishes his friendship with Mal too much to ever change it. A Halloween party changes all that though when their relationship crosses the invisible lines and Aidan severs all contact, pushing Mal away before he completely
Teresa
Buy Link: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/stor...
Reviewer: Teresa Fallen Angel
Blurb:
Description:
For years, Mal has given Aidan a little piece of the world for special occasions in the form of unique rocks and fossils—until the year he gives Aidan a piece of the moon instead. Aidan has treasured every gift: in a world of impersonal relationships, they’re the one reminder he has that somebody out there cares
Morgan  Skye
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book:
This is a fairly predictable, but sweet love story of two friends who have loved each other but have not acted on their impulses for various reasons. When they do act on it, Aidan runs and Mal is devastated. This forces Aidan to re-evaluate his life and luckily Mal takes him back.
I liked how the story arc included therapy and though it happened at lightning speed, it was at least a nod that some of life’s problems need more than “the love of a good man” to fix.
I also liked the symbolism of
Julesmarie
Sadonna
More like 3.5 stars - Aidan gets a half star for waking up! Very cute story of two guys who have been friends since college. The beginning is Aidan's 30th birthday and Mal gives him his usual give - a rock of some sort (Mal is a geologist). He is really Aidan's only true friend - who likes him for him, not his family connections or his money. Aidan has spent his adult life protecting himself from begin hurt or used again. He has an abysmal record when it comes to relationship - beginning with ...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I loved this story so much. Even though Aidan starts off a bit stuck up, I warmed up to him fairly easily. I hated how much he used Mal but he was so selfish and arrogant that he didn't see it until it was too late. I adored Mal so much! I really wished he was in the story more.

The whole rocks aspect of the story was very sweet and cute. I loved what Aidan did with them but more than that, I loved how much he relied on them. I was glad when he finally got help to work through his issues and then
Susan
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-2012, mm-read
Mal and Aidan have been best friends since college and every year Mal has given Aidan pieces of rock for his birthday and Christmas. Mal is Aidan's only real friend and he treasures each of the rocks. After something unexpected happens at a party, Aidan pulls away from Mal and finds himself alone. Eventually he realises what he wants and does his best to make it up to Mal. I liked the references to It's a Wonderful Life and was glad that Aidan was able to get the help he needed. (view spoiler) ...more
Heather
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As so many times in life, we don't always see what's right in front of us despite how much we want it, our fears keep us from seeing it. Well that is exactly where Aiden finds himself and when he gets what he wants, even if he doesn't recognize it at the time, he still lets those fears tear his world apart. On the Rocks is a great little story of friendship, fear, hope, love, and all the elements that comprise a heartfelt Christmas tale.
Raevyn
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story had me crying, but it was sweet and well written. I loved Mal and Aiden and I want more with them. They have been friends for 12 years and through that time they never slept together. That is until one night at a party and it ruins everything. But it also brings everything to where it needs to be. There were a couple of scenes that were a little on the unbelievable side, but overall it was a great read. And it is an HEA.
Katy Beth Mckee
Mal and Aiden have a special friendship but an accidental hook seems to have ruined everything. Aiden's panic seems to end a 12 year friendship. I had tears in my eyes reading this one and hoping that they would find a way to repair the damage.
melek
Aidan and Mal been best of friends for 12 years one night of pleasure turn friends to be not friends basically things happen without either of them knowing then Aidan breaks the friendship up, but with all that comes second chances and self discovery.
Lily
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-books
I thought it was very well written. I love how Mal has given his friend Aidan precious rocks for his birthday. What Aidan doesn't know is that Mal has feeling for him that go beyond being friends.

I recommend this book.

Meggie
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
To give yourself to someone you are secretly in love with for couple of years, is be the best gift of all. Gift of love and happiness, that's exactly what Aidan gave to Mal, his love. This novella was interesting and gave us HEA, nice!

• Happiness for Beginners
  • Waiting for Winter
  • Better Not Pout
  • Feels Like Home
  • Rebound Remedy
  • Simon and the Christmas Spirit (Victorian Holiday Hearts, #1)
  • Clarity of Lines (Thomas Elkin, #2)
  • Winter Oranges
  • Starting from Zero (Starting From #1)
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
  • Merry Christmas, Mr. Miggles
  • Love Happens Anyway
  • Color of You
  • Elements of Retrofit (Thomas Elkin, #1)
  • All I Want for Christmas...Is My Sister's Boyfriend
  • Endless Stretch of Blue
  • Clutch (Forbidden Desires #1)
  • Happiness in Numbers
Ari McKay is the professional pseudonym for Arionrhod and McKay, who collaborate on original m/m fiction. They began writing together in 2004 and finished their first original full length novel in 2011. Recently, they’ve begun collaborating on designing and creating costumes to wear and compete in at Sci Fi conventions, and they share a love of yarn and cake.

Arionrhod is an avid costumer, knitter,