Start by marking “The Children's Book of America” as Want to Read:
The Children's Book of America

The Children's Book of America

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Where did American come from? What does it mean to be an American? What makes America great? No volume will provide moer compelling and inspiring answers to our children's questions than William Bennett and Michael Hague's marvelous new treasury, The Children's Book of America.
Published November 2nd 1998 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Children's Book of America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Children's Book of America

Bridgid
Poems, songs and stories. A bit too much of the false patriotism of America for me (you know, leaving out the genocide, theft of land and slavery), but it does seem to try to be inclusive (a few stories of women and people of color).

The Legend of the Grand Canyon, a native American story

Johnny Appleseed!!! Love it

Margaret of New Orleans, an Irish immigrant woman who worked for children and charity

The New Colossus, Emma Lazarus; poet whose words are at the base of the Statue of Liberty

Martin Lut
Nancy
Aug 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-studies
This book is a collection of stories, poems and songs that are perfect for k-5. Some are legends, such as "The Legend of the Grand Canyon" and others are stories about historical figures such as "The Bravery of Abigail Adams." The stories span up to landing on the moon with "The Eagle has Landed." This book can be used to build lesson that cover language arts and social studies. The illustrations are also very appealing.
Tanner Mendelson
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This picture book is great because it answers a lot of children's questions regarding American history. The stories are short and can give students quick background knowledge with great illustrations before the topic is introduced in class. For example, topics include: the legend of the Grand Canyon, westward with Lewis and Clark, Abe Lincoln's school days, and Martin Luther King's dream. Students will enjoy reading the significant events and people in American history.
Rachelle
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I found this book at half price books and I've been reading a few stories to the kids each night. We are all loving it. It isn't to complex for children, but the stories are also interesting for adults. I've learned and enjoyed along with the kids. It has great pictures as well. It teaches values and traditions that are part of being an American.
Karen
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I love all of the legends that are in it. There are some that I had never heard before. I also like how much history there is in it and how diverse it is, from the origins of the song "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" to the legend of John Henry and Paul Bunyan. The artwork in the book is fantastic too.
Jeniann
Oct 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of American stories such as the story of how the Star Spangled Banner was written, the Alamo, the first Thanksgiving, Yankee Doodle, Paul Bunyan, John Henry, and such things. The stories are great, as are the illustrations.
Marilyn
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I prefer this book to the original Bennett Children's story collection book. Abraham Lincoln had less than one year of formal schooling. Wowzers.
Erika
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a book to add in your library. It covers early American history, and even has some tall tales. I love this book because it tells history in a fun way that is engaging for children.
Najimy Family
we own book, not the audio
towner77
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
More great Bedtime Stories curated by the former Secretary of Education.
William J. "Bill" Bennett is a politician and author who served in the Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush administrations, as chief of National Endowment for the Humanities and later Secretary of Education under Reagan, and Drug Czar under Bush. He is a nationally well-known figure of political and social conservatism and authored many books on politics, ethics, and international relations.
More about William J. Bennett...