Start by marking “Knight's Shadow (Greatcoats, #2)” as Want to Read:
Knight's Shadow (Greatcoats, #2)

Knight's Shadow

(Greatcoats #2)

Following his beloved debut, Traitor's Blade, Sebastien de Castell returns with volume two of his fast-paced fantasy adventure series, inspired by the swashbuckling action and witty banter of The Three Musketeers. Knight's Shadow continues the series with a thrilling and dark tale of heroism and betrayal in a country crushed under the weight of its rulers' corruption.

A few
Published March 5th 2015 by Jo Fletcher Books (first published December 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Knight's Shadow, please sign up.
Sebastien Castell Falcio, Kest, and Brasti are very much they're own beast, though they have some qualities of people I know (taken to extremes, of course!) They were…moreFalcio, Kest, and Brasti are very much they're own beast, though they have some qualities of people I know (taken to extremes, of course!) They were always very much envisioned as a trio – in a literary sense, they're almost like three facets of a single person. It's the inherent incompleteness they each suffer from that makes the bond between them so much fun to write.

Hope that helps!

Sebastien(less)
Sebastien Castell Sorry for taking so long to answer this question - it only just showed up for me. The digital version comes out simultaneously with print versions so…moreSorry for taking so long to answer this question - it only just showed up for me. The digital version comes out simultaneously with print versions so it's out now in the UK and comes out April 28th in Canada and June 2nd in the USA.(less)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I freaking love these guys! This book starts right where the other one left off. And then they have to fight some evil peeps a few pages after that.

Kest, Brasti and Falcio are three men I just love and the banter between them is the best. Who could carry on crazy conversations while fighting people.

Anyhoo, so they are helping The Tailor try to get an army together to defeat that freaking a-hole, Trin. She wants to be queen but she's evil and the guys are trying to make sure the rightful Queen,
Petrik
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grimdark fans
Recommended to Petrik by: Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Buddy read with my lovely Greatcoat: Sarah

Gripping, gritty and fast paced, Knight’s Shadow is a splendid sequel that’s better than its predecessor in every way.

I stated before in my Traitor’s Blade review that the book is a combination of 'The First Law' series by Joe Abercrombie and 'The Three Musketeers' by Alexandre Dumas, this book holds true to that statement more than ever, especially towards First Law as the series goes into grimdark territory. This means that Knight’s Shadow is s a book
Melanie
1.) Traitor's Blade ★★★★★

“My name is Falcio val Mond, one of the last of the King's Greatcoats, and if you listen very carefully you might still be able to hear me screaming.”

I mean, this is probably the greatest line in any prologue, ever. And if this doesn't make you want to read this amazing series, I'm not sure what will. Yet, I'll try to sing its praises anyway.

Falcio and the gang are up to even move adventures in this second book, while still trying to honor their promises to their de
☽Luna☾
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
4/5

Buddy read with the Kings heart; Petrik .

"To mayhem and fighting".

I'm really struggling to write this review, due to the complexity of the plot and of course how SPOILERISH my draft review was, so I'm just going to just write a short spoiler free review.

Okay so despite feeling 'meh' about book one of this series, I went into this book with high expectations and I must say this is definitely better then the first. I felt this book had a lot more pro's then con's, and I'm FINALLY starting
Orient
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
An amazing BR with my fellow Greatcoats Craig, Emelia and Samir.

“What people remember about us? That matters. What are we, really, but acts of courage or cowardice, generosity or greed?”

I was intrigued by “Traitor’s Blade” and really waited my playdate with greatcoats in the second book. There were some small flaws I found in the first book and it was interesting to see if the author continued in the same style or made some improvements for carrying out the story. What can I say, “Knight’s Sh
Dana Ilie
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Being the second book in the series we already know most of the players but they are further characterised as de Castell goes deeper with them giving some unexpected layers. Take Brasti for example, he’s the archer and was the comic relief in the first book, always cracking a joke and having a quip at hand, but in Knight’s Shadow he shows surprising depth and emotion, not just the laughable fool we imagined but a fully rounded character.
The sequel picks up pretty much right after the close of Tr
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
Mini Review: [4.5/5 stars] Considering how polarized my opinion was for Traitor’s Blade, it’s surprising even to me how thoroughly I enjoyed Knight’s Shadow. It must have been the perfect combination of elements to satisfy my mood because even while reading it I couldn’t put my finger on exactly why I liked it so much. It just had that addictive quality that kept pulling me back to it in favor of other things, which is something books don’t do to me a lot these days. The balance between humor an ...more
TS Chan
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
The fights that matter most aren't won on skill.

Knight's Shadow was undoubtedly an improvement to Traitor's Blade and what a sequel should be; it develops, it expands, it makes you want more and in this case, it is substantially darker. Even though the narrative was still limited to Falcio's first person perspective, there was development for the other two Greatcoats who stuck by Falcio through thick and thin, Kest and Brasti. The friendship between these three individuals is the highlight of
Mayim de Vries
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
“You are not a Greatcoat because you have to be, Falcio - you are a Greatcoat because you don’t know how to be anything else.”

After finding the elusive King’s Charoite, Falcio val Mond, the First Cantor of the Greatcoats, is facing the challenge of preventing a civil war in Tristia with his enemies having armies, funds and support of the Dukes and him having nothing but the righteous zeal to make the world a better place. Putting a 13-year-old girl on the throne is never an easy task, but things
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
April 2017 reread is now done. Verdict - Even better than I remember! Some seriously dark moments, but freaking awesome!

Apr 2016 reread, because Saint's Blood! Update: 4.5 stars - Ok, so this one is definitely much darker than I remember, but still great. Buy it!

---------------------------------------

Original review:
Knight's Shadow had some big boots to fill after Sebastien de Castell's amazing debut novel and I had my doubts about whether it could be pulled off, but with the follow up entry th
❄️Nani❄️
‘Shut up, Brasti!’ ❤

I see people posting more meaningful and profound quotes from these books and... here I am with my favourite line of the series (so far, at least). Really guys, if you see the things Brasti comes up with, you’d know where I’m coming from.

I love these guys so much! And once again, the unlucky yet unrelenting, witty and hilarious, perpetually-in-danger, trio - Falcio, Kest, Brasti are back in the chaotic world of Tristia and things couldn’t look grimmer.

Knight’s Shadow is one
Robin (Bridge Four)
ebook on sale 09May17 for $1.99 on Amazon Magic + The Three Musketeers

description
My name is Falcio val Mond, one of the last of the King’s Greatcoats, and if you listen very carefully you might still be able to hear me screaming.

I thought that Falcio went through some trials in the first book but that seems like kids play in comparison to what he endured in this one. The man is this great tragic hero that is beaten and bruised and betrayed at every corner but he has this great will of spirit and just
Bookwraiths
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

Traitor’s Blade was a novel that took me by surprise. Yes, it sounded interesting, but I never expected to love Sebastien de Castell’s mixture of Three Musketeers-esque swashbuckling fun and Game of Throne-like gritty realism as much as I did. It really was one of the best books of 2014.

Flash forward to 2015. Knight’s Shadow is being released. Yes, I’m overwhelming anxious to get my hands on it, but I’m apprehensive as well. I mean, can the author catch
Liam Degnan
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"The fights that matter most aren't won on skill"

4 Stars. But *just* barely ;].

The Knight's Shadow was an improvement upon Traitor's Blade in almost every way. Completely changed the tone of the story, and added some entirely new dynamics to the plot, even though certain aspects of it still felt very flawed to me. The few quibbles I had with this book almost directly relate to the issues I mentioned in my review of book one.

I think the thing I love most about this book are the themes. The
Petros Triantafyllou
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Knight's Shadow is the undisputed high point of the series so far. De Castell removed the obnoxious, fairy-tale elements from the first book (Magical horse, wicked step mother, princess-for-rescue), and staved off the protagonists from the safe zone (Spoiler: Well, not entirely, but the whole "I cut my own hand" thing was cool and totally unexpected).

The plot twists were again amazing, with some of them being pleasantly shocking, and others oh-not-so-much. The protagonists are even further deve
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)

The adventures continue in this second book of the Greatcoats series, picking up where Traitor's Blade left off. Falcio (Fal-key-oh, mind you), Brasti, and Kest are still on the run, everyone seems to want them dead, the Dukes and Duchesses are doing a shitty job of running things, taxing the poor citizens to death, spying on each other, allowing their Knights to do pretty much whatever they want... the whole kingdom has gone to hell in a handbasket and it's a rotten case of SNAFU.

A lot happens
Samantha
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I have to say.....I'm glad book 3 comes out in less than a month here in the US! AMAZING series!
Review/discussion video coming soon!
Gavin
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I felt like Knight's Shadow was a decent instalment of the Greatcoats series but that it was not quite as enjoyable as Traitor's Blade. A few of the flaws of the first book were magnified in this one. I did still enjoy this one even if it did not reach the heights I felt it could have! This is a fun fantasy world and I still find de Castell's writing and storytelling quite engaging despite the flaws.

The story picked up from where the first book finished. Falcio and his Greatcoats are battling t
Kaitlin
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
Sometimes book #2 is worse #1 and everyone is annoyed...sometimes it's better...this one is DEFINITELY better, it's SO GOOD :D

This story is the continuation of Falcio Val Mond and his loyal friends Brasti and Kest as they journey the landscapes seeking to bring justice and order to the land once again despite the untimely death of the King. The three fellows are friends, fighting companions and confidants to one another, and they won't let something like a false Queen and an army of skilful warr
Bradley
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I fell into this second book with no hesitation, read through its long pages with great joy, and ended it feeling so satisfied.

This is odd.

Why? Because despite being a party to a great character's prolonged torture and hellish defeat, I still feel like I came out on top. Falcio has it really rough in this novel. Really, really rough.

And yet, all the humor is intact, all the brilliant action scenes, all the corruption and vice in the kingdom and all the desperate idealism of those few who still
Bob Milne
I know it sounds like hyperbole and hype, but Knight's Shadow truly is a must-read book, a title that I quite literally could not put down. I found myself wandering the parking lot at the office all week, reading through lunch and breaks. I kept it on the seat beside me and read pages while waiting in line at the drive through, Last night I even followed my son around the mall, reading as we walked and he played.

If you read my review of Traitor's Blade, then you know I had some challenges with t
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
The Knights Shadow is a perfect book if you love engaging and hilarious characters, amazingly well sculpted fight scenes and that rush of excitement that only comes with being truly and utterly swept away by a writer of incredible talent. It is action, adventure, fantasy and mystery all at it’s finest and will chew you up and spit you out in that best possible way.

We pick up the plot almost directly after events of Traitor’s Blade and, like the first book, it has an incredible pace and is imposs
Stefan Bach
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it

“If on a winter’s night a traveler like you finds shelter in one of the inns that line the trade roads of Tristia, sitting close to the fire, drinking what is quite likely watered-down ale and doing your best to stay out of the way of the local bully-boys, you might chance to see a Greatcoat wander in.
You’ll know him or her by the long leather coat of office, weathered to a deep brown and tempered by a hint of dark red or green or sometimes even blue.
I will not bore you with the details, gen
Terence
As Falcio val Mond deals with the increasing side effects of poison, new dangers arise that the Greatcoats must solve. Falcio fights with whatever time the poison permits to save his homeland from civil war.

Knight's Shadow is a solid sequel to Traitor's Blade. All the primary Greatcoats have returned and find themselves once again going against impossible odds to earn justice and freedom for all.

I really enjoyed the increased Greatcoat interaction Falcio had in this book compared to the first of
Shadowdenizen
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-series
4.5 stars.

We are currently in a Golden Age of quality fantasy writers and authors. So much so that it's actually hard to keep up at times!

Within the last few years alone, we've gotten "Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne", "Faithful and the Fallen", the Lotus War" trilogy, amongst MANY others.

And I'm proud to add the Greatcoats saga to the list! After a really strong opening salvo, this second volume ratchets the narrative tension even further. It's uncommon that a second volume lives up to the prom
Solseit
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book genuinely brings the series into a grim dark environment and it suits the story, the characters, the development extremely well.

The story is by no means simple - it keeps twisting and turning. Falcio is the center of everything as usual, he is the main key to unlock all the events and de Castell does an incredible job in making him an extremely lovable character.

Hell, I want to be a Greatcoat today. Plus that coat keeps being described as the most amazing piece of fashion (comfortable
Mike
Full review to come. Very fun book in the same vein as the first one, but with a bit more political and historical complexity. As always great banter and action.

...

Wow, I have no idea how I let this one get away from me. But yeah, this was a really fun book to read. Obviously it has been a while since I read it so I can't give you good folks a full run down but is was pretty much just like the first book in terms of banter, action, character development, etc. etc. etc. Not a carbon copy mind you
Michael Britt
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book took me longer to read than it should have, for one main reason; I didn't want it to end. Yes, there are still 2 more books in the series. Well, one out now and the other coming out soon, but this did nothing to ease the pain of finishing a great book. Before I started this one I was nervous due to how amazing the first book was. I was scared that Castell wouldn't be able to do as good, and especially wouldn't be able to do any better. But man, was I wrong. This book was even better th ...more
Mark
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read, an author who has improved his story telling alot with this second book in this series.

Alot darker than the first one, this series show agreat deal of promise.

• Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
  • The Dread Wyrm (The Traitor Son Cycle, #3)
  • Blood and Tempest (Empire of Storms, #3)
  • The Guns of Empire (The Shadow Campaigns, #4)
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Tainted City (Shattered Sigil, #2)
  • Unholy War (Moontide Quartet, #3)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
  • The River of Shadows (The Chathrand Voyage, #3)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • Sword of the North (Grim Company, #2)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)
  • The Tower Broken (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #3)
Hi Folks!

My eighth novel, SOULBINDER is in stores in the UK & Australia, coming soon to North America.

You can get a pair of free stories here.

The best way to stay up to date is at www.decastell.com, but I'm also on that Facebook thing. Also that Twitter thing. One day I'll even remember to get on that Instagram thing.

As to who I am? Well . . .

Sebastien de Castell had just finished a degree i

Greatcoats (4 books)
  • Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats, #1)
  • Saint's Blood (Greatcoats, #3)
  • Tyrant's Throne (Greatcoats, #4)
“It's stories that inspire people to change. It's stories that make them believe things can be better.” 8 likes
“Happiness is a series of grains of sand spread out in a desert of violence and anguish.” 4 likes