Start by marking “Guardians of the Galaxy & X-Men: The Black Vortex” as Want to Read:
Guardians of the Galaxy & X-Men: The Black Vortex

Guardians of the Galaxy & X-Men: The Black Vortex

(The Black Vortex #1-13)

The Black Vortex, an ancient artifact of immeasurable power, is now in Mr. Knife’s hands! With billions of lives at stake, Star-Lord must steal it back — with the help of both the Guardians and the X-Men! But as a schism forms between the heroes, Knife’s Slaughter Squad closes in! Beast and Kitty must decipher the Vortex Book as Ronan, Nova and the Brood get involved, and ...more
Published July 14th 2015 by Marvel Comics (first published June 24th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Guardians of the Galaxy & X-Men, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Shaun
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Guardians of the Galaxy & X-Men: The Black Vortex
Anne
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
As far as crossovers and events go, this particular volume went down pretty easily for me.

description

I'm not always a huge fan of these things anymore, mainly because the collected volumes don't seem to have the complete story, and then you end up with this nagging feeling that you need to go search out random issues (from other titles) to fill in the blanks.
Surprisingly, I didn't feel that way at all when I closed this book.
*slow clap for Marvel*

description

The basic (and I mean very basic) story is that there's
Sean Gibson
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Flaming bag of poo (noun): An object often left on the doorstep of a cantankerous neighbor in an effort to induce the old bastard into stepping on it in an attempt to put out the fire, resulting in a shoe covered with feces; see also The Black Vortex.

I’m an upbeat guy. As a general rule, I try to find the good in everything and everyone (well, except maybe for Donald Trump). I even give the benefit of the doubt to vegetables (well, no, that’s a lie—I’ve tried to give them all blight, but, thus
Chad
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Decent all over art, not much story. Just a bunch of flying around the universe and punching stuff for the most part.
Sesana
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
This is a pretty big crossover. It covers half a dozen ongoing series, plus a few one-shots. And it plays out in a single, cohesive story. You really do need to read all the issues involved in the correct order to get the most out of this story. Or even anything at all. I had tried to read the two All-New X-Men issues in that trade, and I got nothing out of it. Much better to skip those issues in their individual trade and just read the full thing here.

But do you really want to? Eh... As a
Paul E. Morph
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm a little torn trying to rate this one.... These are my thoughts (for what they're worth):

Cons:

1. Look, kids! It's another bloated crossover event! That's right; it IS derailing a bunch of the titles you read! It IS another grasping, mercenary attempt to make you buy stuff you wouldn't ordinarily buy just so you can work out what the krutark is going on in your regular books! Excited yet? Me neither.

2. Watch in awe as your favourite heroes (plus some guys you don't give a crap about) play an
Jesse A
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good crossover event. Cosmic Kitty Pride may be a new favorite!
Terence
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Twelve billion years ago a celestial provided a civilization with the Black Vortex.
description
By submitting to it's power the user is granted cosmic power. The Black Vortex has been found by Mr. Knife aka J'Son of Spartax who intends to use it for his profit and the universe's sorrow.
description
So of course Peter Quill along with his girlfriend Kitty Pryde steal the vortex and they are now hunted by Peter's father, his minions, and Thane son of Thanos.

I have to admit Black Vortex surprised me. I've grown leery of
Sud666
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Once, billions of years ago, there was a Celestial that had landed on Viscardi. It gave the people a "gift" of an object known as the Black Vortex. If you stared into this mirror and pledged to submit to the Black Vortex-then that person gets cosmic level powers.

Fast forward to our present time and a pirate named Mr. Knife is trying to sell it to the son of Thanos-Thane (Thanos has a kid? seriously?). But- enter Peter Quill who steals it. That starts this epic fracas. I want to be clear I did
Aaron
Aug 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I mean, what even is this? I've been reading most of the series involved in this massive, cosmic crossover (All-New X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel, some others I don't read), and none of them built up to this event AT ALL. It comes completely out of nowhere. Additionally, this event ended just two months before Secret Wars started, and therefore feels totally shoehorned into the Marvel timeline. Plus, at one point Beast is granted cosmic powers he DEFINITELY does not have in the ...more
Gianfranco Mancini

Not best Marvel crossover ever at all.
And the winner of Prometheus-prize-for-stupid-scientists-touching-alien-things goooeeessss tooo... Beast.
Lynda
Aug 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Less said about this one the better.
Sonic
Aug 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
What five-year-old wrote this? Oh, it was Sam Humphries. (Ha ha ha ha)

Took a weak-ass premise,
some interesting characters,
(some fairly cool art near the beginning)

and just flushed it down the crapper!
Megu
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Actually 2.5 stars. Was this arc really necessary? Like...really? Was what the purpose here apart from the lovely-dovely Shadowcat x StarLord scene at the end? Come on Marvel, pull yourself together!
Relstuart
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: super-hero, x-men
A crossover/cosmic event starring the Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel, kid Nova, and the X-Men. Mainly the time traveled crew with a few of the old guard (Hank, Storm, X-23, and Magic mainly). There are huge things that happen in this story (no spoilers) one with the Kree and Ronan. I think there would be a lot more exposition and exploration of these events if the universe wasn't coming to an end in Secret Wars. It's still a bit surprising what all happens. Interesting premise and ...more
Craig
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
As crossovers go, this one wasn't all that bad...
Kay
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well, that was FLARKIN' disappointing.

What can I say? This crossover was way too long for nothing to have gone on. Story: There is a mirror that can up your powers and maybe make you loco. The end.
The plot is made up of a lot of fights and killing entire planets and stuff. It very much had a this happened -then this happened -then this happened feeling.
The only goal of this storyline, so far that I can make out, is to get everyone changed ever so slightly enough that they'll want to go in
Jodie
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
3.5/5 Stars
Joseph
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a major crossover event, running through Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain Marvel, Nova, Legendary Star-Lord, Cyclops, All-New X-Men, and a couple stand alone titles.

Twelve billion years ago, a Celestial gives a magic mirror to a planet, and this mirror gives unlimited cosmic power to those who submit to it. This doesn't work well, of course, and soon everyone on the planet is dead except one warrior.

Fast forward to modern times, and everyone in the known universe is after this thing,
Emmett Spain
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
When Marvel goes cosmic, results vary.

Here, we get a smattering of explosions and world destruction, a bunch of characters who come and go with little purpose or reason, and just enough character work to keep the entire pursuit from feeling like needless fluff.

The art work is strong, with enough mighty splash pages and dynamic action to make readers feel that they're witnessing something sufficiently grand. But the writing lets it down. It's not that it's bad necessarily--it's just so poorly
David
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Jordan Lahn
Not bad, just not super great. I feel like the recent cosmic stuff hasn't had a lot of weight... just kind of goofy
Dan
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first cosmic event Marvel have done in years and it is epic. It was told in a series of 13 comic book issues and stars the Guardians of the Galaxy, the X-Men (mostly the All New X-Men but a few others too) and Nova.

The basic plot is thus: Starlord's father, currently in the guise of intergalactic criminal Mister Knife, has found an ancient power, the Black Vortex. It gives people a cosmic power if they chose to submit to it, basically making people Cosmic Gods. Obviously this would
Roberto
Unfortunately, The Black Vortex represents the state of comic book writing today. A single idea is made to be a larger story where characters aren't developed, but are merely pawns to move the story forward. In The Black Vortex, superheroes don't learn from their past folly and are constantly destined to repeat their mistakes because of their hubris. Black Vortex doesn't tread new ground it repeats the same storylines (i.e. the Dark Phoenix Saga in Uncanny X-Men #129-138 or even more recently ...more
Matt
Collects Guardians of the Galaxy & X-Men: The Black Vortex Alpha issue #1, Guardians of the Galaxy issues #24-25, Legendary Star-Lord issues #9-11, All-New X-Men issues #38-39, Guardians of the Galaxy Team-Up issue #3, Nova issue #28, Cyclops issue #12, Captain Marvel issue #14, and Guardians of the Galaxy & X-Men: The Black Vortex Omega issue #1

This was a crossover for crossover's sake. There is no reason that this story had to go outside of the "Guardians of the Galaxy" title (even
Adam Fisher
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars
Here comes another Guardians and X-Men crossover... This time, an ancient relic, The Black Vortex, has been found. When you look into the mirror and submit to it, you gain phenomenal cosmic power (but not the itty-bitty living space LOL) and are altered in mind, body and power level. Throw in the Spartax Empire, the Kree, Ronan the Accuser, and the Brood, and you have this epic space odyssey.

Ultimately, the story ends much like you'd think, though a Empire is gone, and some have chosen
Travis Duke
Feb 13, 2016 rated it liked it
A cosmic mirror that can enhance anyone who submits to it is loose on the galaxy. A massive crossover with x-men, guardians, capt. marvel, nova, and a bunch more. Lots of people submit to the power and just like always they get more then they bargain for. Pretty straightforward on the storytelling, temptation, and lessons learned. The art is ok and sometimes pretty good. Overall in the end one mutant save the day and that same mutant gets proposed to in the end, not a bad day for her at all. ...more
Jacquelyn
Jun 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I read most of these comics anyway, so I already like the art and side stories, but the whole premise felt like a thinly veiled after-school-special about drugs. "Wow you guys, this thing makes me feel great, I'm the person I want to be, you should totally try it!" "No way, you can't see how it's changed you for the worse, we should all have a choice, stop peer-pressuring us!"

Black Vortex on its own gets a 2, but the characters and art get a 4, so, three stars.
Christina
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
For some reason, I really liked this event. It was easy to get into and I enjoyed what the Black Vortex offered in that it allowed the characters to be what they always wanted to be (good or bad). This was a fun concept to read through as seeing Gamora with the galaxy in her cloak was worth it alone.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
This dragged ooooon forever. And there were so many characters I was starting to get some confused, or maybe I just didn't really care? But despite all that, there were parts of the story I really, really liked. Enough to give this 3 stars even though it felt a million years too long.
Daniel Butcher
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel-now
Honestly just did not come off as very big or epic.

And the consequences of the Black Vortex were well unclear at times.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• All-New X-Men, Volume 2: Here to Stay
  • All-New X-Men, Volume 3: Out of Their Depth
  • All-New X-Men, Volume 1: Yesterday's X-Men
  • All-New X-Men: Inevitable, Volume 3: Hell Hath So Much Fury

The Black Vortex (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy & X-Men: The Black Vortex Alpha #1
  • Nova #28
  • Legendary Star-Lord #10
  • Cyclops #12
“I love you all too much. You have no idea how much.” 0 likes
“Excuse me...is this going to go on much longer? Because if it is, I'd like to jump out the airlock and accept the cold embrace of space death now.” 0 likes