Start by marking “Amazing Spider-Man: Edge of Spider-Verse” as Want to Read:
Amazing Spider-Man: Edge of Spider-Verse

Amazing Spider-Man: Edge of Spider-Verse

(Spider-Verse (Collected Editions) #1.1)

FIVE DIFFERENT REALITIES — FIVE DARINGLY DIFFERENT SPIDERS!

The prelude to the biggest Spider-Man event of all! Spider-Man Noir returns as the Peter Parker of the 1930s finds himself facing Mysterio! In another reality, discover the secret of Dr. Aaron Aikman, the Spider-Man! Who are the villainouse Red Eye and Naahmurah, and can Aaron live through Morlun's arrival? And in
Published May 12th 2015 by Marvel Comics (first published September 10th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Amazing Spider-Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amazing Spider-Man

Anne

First, Gwen Stacy may be on the cover, but this isn't her title. This is a Spider-verse book, so what you have a issues about different Spider-Man characters from across the multiverse. Spider-Gwen is just one of them. Some are better than others, but (now that I think about it) I enjoyed them all enough to come back and visit.

Spider-Man Noir

description

Set in the 1930's(ish), this one is actually the closest to our Spidey as it gets in this volume. Peter Parker, Mary Jane, and Aunt May go see an i
Jeff
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix

Spider-Ham, Spider-Ham,
Does whatever a Spider-Ham can
Baked or fried, he’s a treat,
On a roll or part of a BLT
Look Out!
Here comes a Ham on Rye!

Is he kosher?
Oy vey, Bud.
Go and check the Talmud...

Now I’m hungry.

Three and half stars rounded down

Spider-Ham regretfully (or not, only time will tell) only appears in the last few panels of this warm-up to the Spider-Verse crossover – a collection of five different stories by five different writers/artists about five different alternate versions of Spider-
Sean Gibson
It’s really hard to rate something like this in a vacuum—-you know, because of how much it sucks (hey-oh!).

No, no—this wasn’t bad; that was just too easy of a joke to pass up.

Seriously, though, since this is nothing more than a prelude to a bigger event, having not yet read that bigger event, I have no idea if this is a salacious teaser for a hearty meal or an overcooked appetizer for a bland and unfulfilling entrée. So, we’ll see how things shake out.

One interesting note: it’s easy for comic a
TL
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
****

Quick Thoughts

1930s Spider-Man: pretty good, loved the different take on him. Would read full volumes of it.

Gwen Stacy: already read this in a different separate volume.. bit disappointed. Was hoping for different segment (read first two volumes of Spider-Gwen before I learned this existed)

Dr. Aikman ... different and the whole idea was intriguing but kinda boring story. If it was fleshed out more, I could see myself following it perhaps but as is, no emotional connection.

SP//dr -
Remy Blas
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marvel, comics
I actually enjoyed these stories way more than I expected. Each one of the five stories was truly amazing in its own way.
Malum
There are five stories here. I liked three of them quite a bit and one a little bit, so 3.5 stars I guess?

First we have Spider-Man Noir, who is by far the best looking Spider-Man of all (but I'm a pulp/noir junkie so I am legally obligated to think that). His story was like Spider-Man meets The Shadow. What's not to love?

Next we get Spider Gwen. I have always wanted to read one of her books because she is also a really cool looking Spider....person (actually, I meant to read her vol. 0 trade but
Mike
This little anthology of alterna-Spidey tales is pretty darned good.

Spider-Man Noir by Hine is pretty cool, and sums up the mythology well without messing it up with trying to tell a morality tale or make it something other than a sidelong glance into that world.

Spider-Gwen deserves all the hype it gets. She's self-possessed, fun and has her own mythology and style that defines her separate from Spidey. It's especially good because of how much of a nothing one-dimensional cutout her character
Anthony
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: digital, spider-man
An anthology of issues, each based on a Spider-man from an alternate dimension, as part of the set up for the Spider-Verse event. The stand out story here is the Spider-Gwen issue. It reminded me of Scott Pilgrim in a way in how music is used in a comic. In this dimension, Gwen Stacy is a drummer in a band as well as a Spider-man. Feels very relevant to current pop culture.

The others are okay. There's a 'horror' issue, the return of Spider-man noir and a story written by Gerrard Way.

The Dustin
Neil R. Coulter
Jan 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
Most of this I didn't understand. What I did understand seemed stupid and gross. How did all this bland Spider-Verse stuff eventually lead to a really awesome movie?
Sesana
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
On balance, these stories average out to about three stars. None of them are bad, though none of them are exactly great, either. Even the Spider-Gwen story, which I loved in the great context of her own book, is only pretty good in isolation. Actually, the most effective story Patton Parnel's, which takes the familiar elements of Peter Parker's origin story and twists them into a horror story. Very creepy. But there are two stories in here with a technologically based Spidey, and I could have do ...more
Adam M
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
-Read for 2019 YA Reading Challenge-

I had held off reading some Spider-Man related titles until now as I knew they would be great for our yearly YA Reading challenge. I was going to start with Spider-Gwen vol 1, but saw on the first 2 pages that they referred me back to this title for character introduction. So... here we are.

This was a lot of fun and I am for sure going to read more of the Spider-Verse run. I saw the movie and loved it. Like, absolutely would go back for multiple viewings love
Fox
Apr 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was rather excited to get a Spider-Verse book.

The various ways that Spiderman has been interpreted and reinterpreted over the ages is a fascinating thing. I love Spiderman Noir, Spiderman Noir: Eyes Without a Face having fully turned me on the notion of him in a 1930s environment being inspired. Gwen Stacy, likewise, is a fully developed and fascinating character. I felt for her in this story. It's an origin story more than anything else, but still... Patton's story was a fascinating take on
Liz
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Okay, so, apparently you're supposed to read this one before Spider Gwen. (Maybe I'll reread that one now.) I thought this was really interesting. I enjoyed the tour through all the AUs. I don't know much about Spiderman so I'm guessing I'm missing some references - obviously Mysterio and nerve gas are a thing. SP//dr was my favorite. LOVED the art and the anime influence. But wow, Patton Parnell was really disturbing. way more horror than I like but it was very memorable.
Danielle
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5

Five one shots loosely tied to the much larger Spider-Verse run. Gwen's great, as always, and I was super excited to see Peni since she wasn't in the actual arc and I loved her in the movie. (Which shares absolutely zero plot points with this comic run; don't look for dad bods.)

Spider-Man Noir was fine, he's fine. Doesn't really excite me, but there was nothing wrong with it except the Inheritors are not at all explained. If I had read this before Spider-Verse, I would be 1000% lost.

Gwen - Ac
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
It was okay... was slightly freaked out about one of the storylines lol.
Clara
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, marvel
The "I Walked With A Spider" story gave me chills. So scary! This is an amazing comic book, the only downside is that it ends on a cliffhanger!
Kayla
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This was pretty fun. I mainly wanted to read this since Spider-Gwen makes her first appearance in issue #2 and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the other issues in this bind-up. Each issue focuses on one spider-person and some conflict they're going through before they get recruited to be part of this spider-verse crossover event. I was hoping to actually see these characters work together in this volume, but I liked it enough that I'll check out the next installment. I loved iss ...more
Ben
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Including all the edge of spider-verse comics in this review, not just 1-5 (Amazing Spider-Man 7-8, Spider-man 2099 5, Superior Spider-man 32-33). This is the way to launch a big event. Heck, a couple of these issues should just be the event. Glad I didn't skip out on these before Spider-verse.

(view spoiler)
Jason
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was pretty good, which I did not expect. Sort an anthology of different authors' take on Spider-Man. They seemed to have let them run with their ideas, as long as they connected them, sometimes extremely minimally, to the Spider-Verse narrative. Consider me impressed.
Michael (Mai)
It was okay. I'm not a Spider-man junkie (besides Spider-Gwen and Silk) so all the off shoots made me terribly confused. I know this is my own fault. But I did like the Spider-Gwen story. And who doesn't like Spider-ham?
Gianfranco Mancini
La storia horror è grandiosa!
Horror issue is just amazing!
Gary Butler
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
56th book read in 2016.

Number 13 out of 549 on my all time book list.

Review Pending:
Kevin
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel, superhero, comics
The 5th part was my favorite, with references to Ghost in a Shell, Akira and Evangelion.
ngọc ♡
3/5

quick introduction to some spideys from different universes. i decided to read this because i LOVE Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse and want to know more about all of the characters from the movie and the spider-verse as well. i skipped #3 because i didn't find it interesting, but here's the individual ratings for the rest.

Edge of Spider-Verse #1: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Spider-Man Noir. what a funky man. i love the art and the atmosphere. the story is pretty good as well.

Edge of Spider-Verse #2: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Someti
Wing Kee
Solidly creates a Multiverse for Spidey.

World: The art is solid, each issue has a specific style and tone and the art really informs it, I feel like the standout is the Aikman issue but that’s just my personal preference in the art. I will say that the Peni issue art with all the manga/anime Easter eggs was fun to look at (Ghost in the Shell!!!). The world building is solid, it builds upon the Totem idea Straczynski and runs with it and I love that, that was a really good run and doing a set up
Jason
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not exactly origin stories but 5 different Spiders and intros into their worlds as the Spiders are recruiting to stand against Morlun. Spider-Noir, Penni Parker, Adam Aikman and Spider-Gwen. My honest favorite was the horror version with Uncle Ted and Patton. Lots of fun although the main point seems to be introducing the audience to Morlun and how dangerous he is.

I also didn't realize this was the introduction of Spider-Gwen, outside of the covers they did. Also, I know movies often borrow from
Erin
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
After seeing Into the Spider-Verse, I was curious about the comic event and have finally dedicated time to reading it. So far, it hasn't disappointed one bit.

This has done a good job of setting everything up and introducing new spiders. Please be warned, not all spiders are good. Issue #4 in this was a particular kind of messed up that made me glad I fell asleep before reading it last night. It was gross and all kinds of disturbing.

I'm ready to fully dive into the event now!
Marsha Altman
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Even though Gwen's on the cover of this book, dont' be misled. These issues are about a bunch of different Spider-men, and the Gwen section is just a repeat from another graphic novel. I think it's in Volume 1. The rest of them are pretty good - the horror one was excellent, the one in the 1930's was fascinating, and there's one that's blatantly in the Ghost in the Shell universe - but there's no new Spider-Gwen material in this book.
Emma
Dec 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
Joel
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I understand this may not be what other Spiderman fans are looking for, but for me it was perfect. It's essentially 5 small stories about 5 different (Spiderpeople?) and how they must come together to protect their existence. All 5 stories weren't perfect but overall it was fun to see a new spin on the old story. I'm definitely looking forward to getting into the actual Spider-verse story now!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 2: Spider-Verse Prelude
  • Spider-Man 2099, Volume 1: Out of Time
  • Spider-Gwen, Vol. 0: Most Wanted?
  • Indestructible Hulk, Volume 2: Gods and Monster
  • Avenging Spider-Man: My Friends Can Beat Up Your Friends
  • Cyclops, Vol. 1: Starstruck
  • Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man, by Brian Michael Bendis, Volume 2
  • Edge of Spider-Verse #5
  • 1872

Spider-Verse (Collected Editions) (6 books)
  • Spider-Verse