Start by marking “Ant-Man: Second-Chance Man” as Want to Read:
Ant-Man: Second-Chance Man

Ant-Man: Second-Chance Man

(Ant-Man (2015) #1-5)

Scott Lang has never exactly been the world's best super hero. Heck, most people don't even think he's been the best Ant-Man! And the last guy invented Ultron and joined the Masters of Evil, so that's saying something. But when Iron Man calls with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, Scott's going to get a second chance to be the hero he's always dreamed of becoming! Then, Sc ...more
Published June 23rd 2015 by Marvel Comics (first published March 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Ant-Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ant-Man

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
the humor was A+, but the plot was a little too convenient. Though I was surprised the direction the plot went in. Overall, enjoyable, but not mind blowing.
Jeff
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
Who the heck would want to be an Ant-Man?

You shrink and do stuff. And you can command ants to do things:

“Get me a beer from the fridge, ant-lings.”

At least for Scott Lang, the current Ant-Man in the Marvel universe, the bar was set kind of low.

The previous two Ant-Men were:

A) Hank Pym - A crazy, wife-beater who created a robot that wanted to destroy all life on planet Earth

B) Eric O’Grady - An evil pervert douche-bag wh
Dan Schwent
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2016-comics
Sam Quixote
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Scott Lang is divorced, jobless, and middle-aged in a ruthless job market full of younger, more qualified people who don’t have a criminal record. More than anything though he wants to be a good dad to his teenage daughter Cassie, so he goes for the job of head of security at Tony Stark’s company to get back on his feet. Except that’s the start of Ant-Man’s BIG problems, wha whaaaa!

The effect of Matt Fraction and David Aja’s Hawkeye on Marvel can’t be understated - it was a game-chan
Jan Philipzig
Another superheroes-like-you-and-me (you know: losers) type story in the Hawkeye tradition--nothing earth-shattering, but enjoyable enough.
Sesana
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhumans, comics
I feel like I need to get this out of the way first thing: the last time I saw Cassie she died (Avengers: The Children's Crusade) and the last time I saw Scott he was mourning her (FF, Vol. 1: Fantasti Avengers: The Children's Crusade) and the last time I saw Scott he was mourning her (FF, Vol. 1: Fantastic Faux). So to see her on the page, alive, and absolutely nobody talking about the whole dead thing? Weird and kind of jarring. Apparently, she was resurrected somewhere during Axis, but I didn't know that, and it's really strange to have nobody at all in this book talk about it. Is there some kind of magical amnesia at work? Really active denial? Spencer just not wanting to talk about it? I don't know.

But as you can see from my star rating, I was able to get past that. Spencer's Ant-Man reminds me, in many ways, of Fraction's Hawkeye, which is a great thing. It also matches the tone of the movie, which I really liked. Overall, it's a fun book, with plenty of humor, good action sequences, and a bit of heart thrown in for good measure. From my experience with the character, Ant-Man (as Scott Lang, at least) is defined by his love for and relationship with his daughter, and that's rightfully at the center of this book.

Since the first issue acts as a sort of incomplete primer on the history of Scott Lang (which, as mentioned, totally avoids saying that Cassie had been dead and stuff, while mentioning that Scott had died. so weird) which makes it a great place for a new reader to jump on. The movie is going to raise at least a little interest in the character, after all. I feel like people who liked the movie would like this book as well.
Chris
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel
When Marvel announced that Ant-Man was getting a new series ahead of his then-upcoming film, I thought I finally understood how all the Aquaman critics felt (Jeff and Sean, i'm looking at you).

"Hey, it's Aqua Ant-Man, that guy who talks to fish ants. Lame!"

Then, the positive reviews and recommendations for Second Chance Man came pouring in and I began to doubt my rash decision. I gave Aquaman a chance without judging him, so why not "the ant guy", too?

Long story short, I was complete/>"Hey,
Shannon
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A down on his luck Ant-Man, former criminal, can't seem to get a break finding a job so he opens up his own security business and takes some villains along for the rider. They're not real villains because the real ones are ashamed to have this Ant-Man as their opponent.

There is definitely some great humor in this one.

A good start to the series.

OVERALL GRADE: B plus.
Terence
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
So Scott Lang is a divorced ex-con looking for work. He also happens to be Ant-Man, but that doesn't appear to be enough to convince anyone to hire him.

Have you ever spent time with someone who is sure they are funny when you know they're not? That's Scott Lang.

description
I mean this didn't even put a smile on my face, but it did keep my eyes rolling. Every attempt at humor just annoyed me more. I know people like this in real life, I don't want to read about a fictional hero like this too.

Second-chance man clearly isn't a volume for me.
Elena
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
NOOOO why did it have to end? :(
Ant-Man is awesome. Marvel is my life. And Nick Spencer is THE BEST! I loved everything about it.
Jonny Campo
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel, mine
3.75 out of 5
good book with some good writing and nice art i love how it does not take it self seriously, i enjoyed it but i disagree a little with all the praise. I did like this book but the first half of it is super boring and has way to much useless dialogue and a lot of gibberish inner monologue, i rate the first half like 2.8 out of 5 (The overall villain is kinda sucky as well). But i found the second half to be very enjoyable like 5 out of 5 so i just tried to average it out lol. I real
Donovan
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is hilarious. Rarely do I give anything 5 stars, especially, you know...(whispers) Marvel. But this is grrrrreat. The writing is funny, strong, the action is exciting and believable, the artwork is gorgeous, and Ant-Man is not the stock character I thought he was. A self-admitted loser, divorcé, unemployed ex-thief and ex-convict, Scott Lang is not your average super hero. He's the anti-hero underdog wisecrack jerkoff who's a delight to watch narrate, screw up and somehow win by luck and ac ...more
James DeSantis
Apr 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Funny. I read volume 1 when it came out (The volume 1 that comes after this volume 1...yeah...fucking Marvel). So this was like going back before what I read.

So Scott is the new Antman. He fun, he has a kickass teenage daughter, and he's about to start his job with Tony. Sounds sweet right? WRONG. We move right to miami. I felt like the editors wanted Spencer to do things here and there and he went along with it. It felt rushed at spots, and even more so in the next volume.

On the good side Sco
Aimee Meester
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
!!!!!!!!!!

there are two things i love with all my heart: Scott Lang, and comics about superheroes trying to navigate ordinary life instead of time-traveling and saving the galaxy. This delivers. And i adore it. ❤ it captures everything i loved about the movie, and SCOTT AND CASSIE PLS GIVE ME MORE DADS TRYING TO BE THERE FOR THEIR KIDS
Aldo Haegemans
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable and Good humor!
Hmpf. So, this turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Hold the presses. I actually thought that this was funny, and pretty good.

I found the issues to read, not only because I wanted to know more about Ant-Man before Marvel's movie release, but also because I became curious about Scott Lang after reading Brian Michael Bendis's Alias Omnibus about Jessica Jones.

Nick Spencer leverages Ant-Man's (not even the "real" Ant-Man, Dr. Pym) B-list (C- or D-list hero status) to write self-deprecatingly humo
Renata
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
oh my god, this was SO funny. I had several legit LOL moments. (Not surprising, given how funny Nick Spencer's The Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Getting the Band Back Together was, but notable.) It really reminds me of Hawkeye, Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon--same sort of low-key, down on his luck, lower-tier superhero, with a similar comedic sensibility.

I've never read any other Ant-Man comics with Scott Lang, but I did enjoy the movie overall so I picked this up. I think if you liked the humor of the movie,
Ryan Stewart
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ant-Man Security Solutions: "Who knows how to not get your stuff stolen better than the guy who used to steal your stuff?"

This comic is an absolute blast. Seriously, it's one of the funniest comics I have ever read. I laughed out loud on more than one occasion and that's one of the highest compliments I can pay a comic that's designed to provide a lighter fare.

Nick Spencer's writing is just perfect for this title. The humor is equal parts intelligent, slapstick and self-aware of Ant
Paul E. Morph
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Every time I get pissed off with all the crossover 'events' and terrible cash-in books Marvel cranks out on a regular basis I read a book like the new Ant-Man title and I remember why I don't just cancel my Marvel Unlimited subscription.

Just like on his previous book, The Superior Foes of Spider-man #1, Nick Spencer shows us all that there really is no such thing as a bad character... just writers who don't know how to use them. (By 'bad character' I'm talking about the likes of Grizzly
Amy Lawrence
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I've been wanting to read an Ant-Man comic since the movie (which was a pleasant surprise) in July. Every time I go to start reading a new character I get lost on where to begin, however so many people told me to start here and I'm so glad I did. It was funny, had great dialogue and the art style was exactly what I was in the mood for. While this is not the beginning of Scott Lang's story, Nick Spencer definitely feeds you enough info for you to follow along. Definitely surprised with how much I e ...more
Roxanne
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really like Ant-Man it has its moments of being really funny and self deprecating but in typical marvel fashion it still pulls at the ol' heartstrings. I was expecting to get bored of it quickly, i mean how many ant jokes do we possibly need, but it isn't the case it actually turned out to be one of the better marvel comics.
Elizabeth
So, I’m not really sure how to review a comic book since I’ve never even read one before, but hopefully this works out at least okay.

Since this was my first time reading a comic book I wasn’t sure what to expect. It was actually a little hard at first because I would just focus on the words and not pay too much attention to the pictures, so I wasn’t really taking in the whole story. After I started paying attention to both equally, the story actually got a bit better.

This book is sectioned off
Kristen
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of underdogs, Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Matt Fraction’s Hawkeye, or New-52 Aquaman.
Look, I’ve had a really shitty week. This, with its wry sense of humor, is just what I needed. Ant-Man is one of those superheroes, not unlike Aquaman, who’s frequently the butt of jokes. This comic, through strong writing, does a lot for humanizing the character with self-deprecating comedy and making the reader root for the underdog. Scott Lang’s kind of a fuck-up and an ex-con, but is otherwise a fairly normal guy who loves his daughter more than anything and is just trying to get his life to ...more
Artemy
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, comics, marvel
I started to read this book because of the upcoming movie, and honestly I didn't know anything about Ant-Man and Scott Lang in particular before. Well, this book is AWESOME! It is a great introduction to the character. It's also funny, action-y (but not too much, just as I like it), and it has this very nice, heartwarming feeling because of Scott's relationship with his daughter, Cassie (who is awesome, by the way, and whom I adore since the Young Avengers). The book feels like a hybrid between ...more
Robert
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Suckers for Paul Rudd-esque Charm
Pretty standard Spencer stuff here, highly irreverent (and funny!) but still with some affection for his characters' feelings. Plenty of throwbacks and nods to his work on Superior Spider-man, including appearances by Beetle and Grizzly. Definitely worth checking out, not far off in tone from the recent Ant-Man film.

I give this volume 3 out of 5, because...

Sex Panther
Ma'Belle
I definitely had higher expectations for this. Nick Spencer's Superior Foes books were very enjoyable, and it's clear Marvel considers him one of their handful of writers to take on the sillier, more self-deprecating and tongue-in-cheek titles. Unfortunately, all the jokes in these comics fell completely flat, and I couldn't care less about the characters by the end of it.
Jaclyn Hogan
This gives me a ton of hope for the upcoming Ant-Man movie. The character is funny and incredibly heart felt. I know the movie is going to differ in a lot of ways, but there's definitely a solid base to build on. I'll absolutely be reading the next volume.
Kit
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Captivating, funny and charming, in the same vein as Fraction's Hawkeye. A really great follow-up to those who are fans of Fraction's tone. It should be easy to pass this one on to friends who see the film and know there is something to enjoy for anyone.
Kzee Mikols
My first Ant-Man comic! Really funny loved the dialogue! Good intro to the character
Travis
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
3.5-4

Speaking of Ant-Man, I can't wait for the second movie, man.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 1: Revival
  • Superior Iron Man, Volume 1: Infamous
  • Avengers World, Volume 1: A.I.M.pire
  • All-New Invaders, Vol. 1: Gods and Soldiers
Nick Spencer is a comic book writer known for his creator-owned titles at Image Comics (Existence 2.0/3.0, Forgetless, Shuddertown, Morning Glories), his work at DC Comics (Action Comics, T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents), and for his current work at Marvel Comics (Iron Man 2.0, Ultimate Comics: X-Men).

Ant-Man (2015) (6 books)