Start by marking “Cyclops, Vol. 2: A Pirate's Life for Me” as Want to Read:
Cyclops, Vol. 2: A Pirate's Life for Me

Cyclops, Vol. 2: A Pirate's Life for Me

(Cyclops (Collected Editions) #2)

RESCUED ! But by whom? And is it really a rescue...or does this put Scott at greater risk than before? And what bounty are they hunting? Lots of shooting and things blowing up! The bad news: the Starjammers are about to die! The good news: Cyclops is no longer a Starjammer. Scott Summers is aboard a new space pirate ship, with a cruel, cutthroat captain, and a crew of crim ...more
Published July 14th 2015 by Marvel (first published July 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Cyclops, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cyclops, Vol. 2

Start your review of Cyclops, Vol. 2: A Pirate's Life for Me
Sesana
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
More than just decent, but not by a lot. And also not quite as good as the first volume. Why? Well, what I'd really loved about volume one was watching Cyclops and his father get to know each other. Unfortunately, they're separated for much of this book. And I'm afraid I just don't find teenage Cyclops that compelling without somebody more interesting (like his father) to play off of. It's hardly surprising that the scenes I liked best in this book were the ones that featured the Summers men int ...more
Paul E. Morph
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
I know this isn't a popular opinion these days but I love Cyclops. Scott has always been one of my favourite Marvel characters and one that I relate to a great deal.

That being said, I really didn't like this book. If you'd have asked me how excited I'd be at the prospect of a Cyclops solo book before this came out I'd have said 'I really think he works better as part of a team but SQUEEE!' Having now read the first two volumes I can only express my disappointment. I love Cyclops but he doesn't w
Shannon Appelcline
I originally picked up this title because it was written by Greg Rucka and because I was intrigued by the father-son dynamic of Corsair and Youngclops. Well, this volume Rucka is gone (for very understandable reasons) and Corsair is imprisoned for half the volume. Unsurprisingly, the result was a bit of a let-down.

It wasn't horrible, but the first volume was already fighting against the problem of the space pirate adventures being sorta shallow. Without the various relationships of the Starjamme
C
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Continuing the great x-read of 2017/18....

The three star rating goes for the first issues of this collection - everything up until the last two issues. From there, it goes downhill fast, but we'll get to that...

The story is a little more Star Wars than X-Men but as a Star Wars fan, I am definitely okay with that. Young Scott, once pulled away from his father for awhile, is given a little more room to grow as a character and have some slightly less cliché adventures. It's a fun little romp and I
Kay
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Baby Cyclops is just so cute!! I like this follow up to vol. 1 a lot.
Scott's a little stuck between being an X-Men and a pirate... meaning, he's a little bit of neither at the moment. He's messing up constantly, and it's cost him his father's freedom and possibly his life (and the life of his crew).
This is a big learning volume for Scott. He grows as a character (and as a space pirate), and mans-up by taking care of his dad. There's bittersweet regret (view spoiler)
Erik McManus
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Comicbook reviews are always short and sweet so I will keep the tradition with this one. I really enjoyed seeing Cyclops as a kid and bonding with his father. And space pirates?! I mean that is pretty awesome.

I do have one question though….where was Alex? You know, his younger brother?

The graphic novel had a pretty good pace and kept me interested. I thought it was for a pretty young audience until that ending which surprised me. I can honestly say that I dd not expect it to take the turn it did
Enrique del Castillo
Though John Layman is a pretty established name in the comics industry (and Javier Garron is a great artist on his own), there's no denying that this volume of Cyclops' ongoing feels inferior to the first one.

Instead of focusing on Scott's and Corsair's relationship, this feels more like an adventure series, which is not bad on its own, but makes it feel less important than the first trade; besides the Black Vortex tie-in was a pretty bad way to end this run.

As hopeful as I was when this ongoin
Dakota Morgan
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Though it starts off silly, A Pirate's Life for Me is ultimately a excellent space adventure with lots of heart. John Layman takes over as writer for Greg Rucka and manages to maintain the father/son bonding while also crafting a propulsive cosmic plot. I especially appreciated how this young version of Cyclops actually feels like a teenager. He makes mistakes! He likes cute girls! He's nervy and brash and rushes into things!

The art is solid and brightly colored in A Pirate's Life for Me, though
Skylar Primm
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This concluding volume was a bit of a letdown after Cyclops, Vol. 1: Starstruck. I don't love the new artist, and Greg Rucka is a hard act for any writer to follow. I'm glad I read it for the sake of completeness, but not for any other reason. ...more
Jdetrick
I think it's again difficult to really judge this volume without mentioning that I read it immediately after the first volume. While these issues aren't bad, they feel more like a typical superhero story, missing the strong writing and dialogue of the Rucka written issues.
Sean
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
John Layman has done some amazing work in the past but not here. This is the definition of a generic space story. Cyclops' dialogue is incredibly cheesy and Corsair doesn't act like himself. Garron's art was too juvenile for the book. This space pirate book was pretty bad.
Silas
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first volume of this book was pretty good, featuring a young Cyclops heading into space with his dad, Corsair. That volume had an interesting hook where they were stranded on a deserted planet, and this one stayed a little bit too close to that with Corsair being captured by a rival pirate captain and Cyclops managing to join the crew to try to free him. The theme was just a little too similar to the previous book, for which this book suffered. This book is also harmed by having part of the ...more
Roman Colombo
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel
Some of the stories were fun, but the art was a bit inconsistent--some characters, especially the more alien ones, looked much different issue to issue.
Nicolas
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not nearly as good as the first volume. Plus the Black Vortex crossover makes it so there's no conclusion.
Tracy
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, comics, escapism
Not enough Scott-Chris bonding. But the GotG/X-Men/I dunno whoall crossover that led into the last segment must have been BANANAS and I guess I'm gonna track it down because whaaaaaaa?
Emily
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I didn't care for the change in art style or writing.
Chris
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I sobbed my way through this one. It’s so good and beautiful and moving. This is what comics should be
Frans Kempe
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Starjammers are caught and Cyclops becomes a double agent to rescue them. Also a Black Vortex tie-in
Michael Church
Aug 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: marvel-comics
John Layman! You have betrayed me! I refuse to believe this is the same guy writing Chew because...well...it sucked. I've learned that I don't like most space comics (except Saga...Saga is perfection). I think my issue is how condescending it makes the book seem. They spew out all of these names of planets and things and it apparently means something to other characters in the book, but it's meaningless to the reader. Unless, of course, these obscure planets are actually longstanding pieces of t ...more
Shannon
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-book
The Starjammers were some of the coolest characters to come out of the 1980's, and some of my all time favorite X-Men stories involved the Starjammers. Having recently read, and not particularly liking the first few X-Men Forever TPBs where Claremont "resumed" his old day X-Men stories, I do find my current self questioning my younger selfs memory and tastes. Were the old stories really as good as I remember, or have I just grown beyond what passed as a good comic back then? And am I too cynical ...more
Tarique Ejaz
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
"The only reason I am going to go through this is to ensure that my father is well and I mean it."

Cyclops interesting space-trip with his father continues as they delve deeper into the intricacies involved with being a space-pirate. Starjammers are operational again until a naive mistake by the newest member leads to a major screw-up resulting in an arch-enemy taking and then Cyclops is forced to manipulate his way out of a sticky situation.

Vileena Malafect was a tool of a young lady and indeed,
Beckiezra
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-manga
Black Vortex messed me up so much I don't remember what I thought about this title anymore. I do think it's a less than ideal end to a series, that having the last issue be something in the middle of a major crossover is disappointing (and would leave a reader of only Cyclops comics very confused about his future since it ends with him as a cosmic being being told by his imaginary dad to go out there and save planets.) and the series would be better off ending on issue 11 instead, or not ending ...more
Chad
May 24, 2016 rated it liked it
John Layman takes over the writing from Greg Rucka. Layman is really heavy-handed with the exposition. There's multiple pages of recap every issue. The main story in this volume is that the Starjammers get captured and Cyclops goes undercover to save them. There's a nice dose of piracy on the high spacelanes? but overall the story meanders. The end is rushed so they can cram a Black Vortex crossover in the last issue. There's some horrible costume designs in this last issue. They look like they ...more
Wade McGinnis
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I didn’t think A Pirate’s Life For Me could possibly hold up to the brilliance and emotional intelligence of Starstruck, but it certainly stacks up… different in tone, story, and setting, volume 2 of the young time-displaced Cyclops still manages to deliver a thrilling, affecting adventure while maintaining themes of family, sacrifice, and loyalty. Too bad this series had to end, but I’m all game for a story that ends on its own merit.
Adam Fisher
May 24, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I think I probably like this book because I love the character of Cyclops. The story and the art don't really set themselves apart, but they aren't bad either.
This is the last Volume, as Cyclops rejoins the All New X-Men after the "Black Vortex" storyline, and that basically leads right into Secret Wars. But what will become of our young X-Men?
Nate
Mar 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This series fell off considerably from volume one and the Black Vortex tie in feels like a cheap way to end the series. That said, issues six through eleven are still a fun, space pirate story if a little redundant of the first five issues.
Liz
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Writing and art continues to be excellent. Corsair continues to be excellent. Teenage Scott continues to be awkward. It's just lovely.
David
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Absolute perfection. Love this book! Might be my favorite Marvel book these days. Sure hope there's another volume to tie up these loose ends before SECRET WARS comes along.
Jessie B.
While still a fun book with beautiful art, the story is not as strong as the first book, particularly towards the end.
Daniel Butcher
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel-now
A big spacey cosmic adventure which feels like it finishes an arc like it was planned for.

Cyclops in Spaccceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• Guardians of the Galaxy & X-Men: The Black Vortex
  • Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 5: The Omega Mutant
  • Wolverine & the X-Men, Volume 1: Tomorrow Never Learns
  • Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 4: Vs. S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • Death of Wolverine
  • Uncanny X-Men: Superior, Volume 2: Apocalypse Wars
  • All-New X-Men: Inevitable, Volume 3: Hell Hath So Much Fury
  • X-Men Gold, Vol. 1: Back to the Basics
  • Wolverine: Three Months to Die, Book 1
John Steele Layman is an American comic book writer and letterer. Layman is most known for writing Chew, published by Image Comics.

Cyclops (Collected Editions) (2 books)
  • Cyclops, Vol. 1: Starstruck