Start by marking “The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden Mystery, #4)

The Julius House

(Aurora Teagarden #4)

Love at first sight turns into newlywed bliss for former librarian Aurora Teagarden-until violence cuts the honeymoon short.

Wealthy businessman Martin Bartell gives Roe exactly what she wants for their wedding: Julius House. But both the house and Martin come with murky pasts. And when Roe is attacked by an ax-wielding maniac, she realizes that the secrets inside her four
Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Published June 3rd 2008 by Berkley (first published February 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Julius House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Julius House

Start your review of The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden Mystery, #4)
Elle's Book Blog
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Release Date: June 3, 2008
Genre: Cozy Mystery

I will keep this review short and sweet as it is an older title. Overall, I liked the book. Heck, I love the entire series. Roe is one of my favorite sleuths out there. In this one, Roe is (sort of) trying to find out what happened to the Julius family who disappeared 6 years ago. Why is she doing this? Because she and her husband just bought/moved into their house!!!

Unfortunately, nothing was unexpected in this one because I watched the Hallmark
Karen ⊰✿
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do love Aurora. She is so inquisitive and unafraid to ask questions, but in a very likeable way. Once there is a mystery she just can't help herself but to try and solve it.
In this instalment, Aurora is drawn to "The Julius House" which is a local home for sale, but with a strange history as the Julius family who inhabited it years ago suddenly disappeared and have never been found. This story takes a bit of a side step though as Aurora is only 4 weeks married and her husband is a bit of an
Anastasia
The Julius House by Charlaine Harris is the 4th book in the Aurora Teagarden Mystery series. The Julius House is given to Aurora as a wedding present from her husband. Six years earlier, the Julius family had mysteriously vanished overnight from their house and despite extensive investigations no explanation had ever been found. A nice addition to the series. I liked the introduction of the two bodyguards and hope they continue in the series. An interesting mystery and quick read.
Dagny
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harris-charlaine
The Julius House opens with big changes in Aurora's life. Whatever Harris was trying to do, get us used to the changes or go in a different direction, the first portion of the book was incredibly dull to me. I was even wondering if I wanted to continue reading the series, especially since I didn't much care for Aurora's 'attitude.' Once we got past the initial chapters, the action picked up and the last portion of the book was quite exciting. A couple of new characters were introduced. I really ...more
Blake
Feb 25, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a boring / stupid protagonist and an eye twitch
Wanda
When your hobby is studying True Crime stories, what do you want as a wedding present? Well, a mysterious house where the whole family has vanished without a trace, that’s what. And that’s exactly what Aurora Teagarden gets from her new husband, Martin. She gets a few other secrets rolled into the bargain without her knowledge, however, that lead her to wonder whether she’s made the correct choices for her life.

The amount that I enjoy Charlaine Harris’ mysteries seems to depend more on my frame
Daiva
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
To describe this in one sentence, I would say: this does not get better in storytelling and plot line, but in some ways it does get better for Aurora.

In this one, Aurora once again ‘accidentally on purpose’ solved some mysteries, made some list(s), well more like one to distract herself but it still counts, drank some coffee, read some books (crime novels of course) , oh also got married, moved in a new house, you know some regular day to day stuff.

Yes, I’m being a bit sarcastic as per usual.
Aonbelay
Mar 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like quick mysteries
I was temping for a company that basically only needed someone to babysit the front desk. While sitting there I saw this book at the receptionist's desk.

I like this book because it's a "pop-corn" (a quick read). I loved the writing and the quirky characters. The mystery wasn't really the main focus and normally I hate picking up a book in the middle of a series, but I found that it was enjoyable. It made me laugh and I think I'll pick up the other "Teagarden" novels to munch on for a short trip
Judy
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is fortunate I didn’t quit this series after reading the first book. I am glad I carried on because they seem to get better. This chapter in the life of Aurora Teagarden is both fun and exciting. There is more action than I remember from past books. Some readers might be put off by the details given to how Roe dresses, but it adds to the charm for me. The audio is very good and I am enjoying that.
Kelly-Marie
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
loved this novel a great read. love the main character really enjoyed it. once again my favourite author has another fab series.
Jonathan
In yet another wonderful installment to Charlaine Harris's Aurora Teagarden mystery series Aurora finds herself a newlywed with a lot of time on her hands, since she quit her job at the local library. To satisfy her own curiosity about the homes previous owners, the Julius family, who disappeared without a trace 6 years before, she enlists the help of her new neighbors and Martin's friends the Youngbloods. This was a fun mystery and I can honestly say that the ending surprised me.

Two new major
Shorty
OK, a little more grousing about this series; near the beginning of the novel, the main character Roe says something like, "I wonder how the writer Robin is doing? Last I heard, he'd moved to California..." o.0
And then you find out that THREE YEARS have passed since the first novel in this series, Roe's little brother had moved across country, and there was a wedding planned!
So things have heated up between Roe and Martin so much, the wedding was planned already. The writer says a little
Sandra Turner
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been my favorite series from this author. I thank Sookie for getting me interested, but this series really had me hooked. I am sad there are no more, but I am also glad that Aurora did not take some of the same downward spirals that come from not really having anything else to write, but still writing. I would recommend this series, even if you don't like the others. This is a truly mystery series with no special abilities or vampires. Just real mystery and suspense.
Kim
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been sucked into this series. It really is the audio version of mediocre ear candy. Half way through I say the current one will be the last I'll read and then, like now, I get to the end and click on the sample of next in the series and BAM! Hooked again. This one really has me wondering "who done it" more than the previous one.
Karen B.
Martin Bartel has proposed to Aurora and wants to buy her a house. Aurora chooses the Julius House, which has a mystery in its history. The Julius family: Mother, Father and daughter have just up and disappeared. Aurora makes plans to fix the house according to her likes and dislikes and Martin gives her full reign for designing the interior. Martin has is "renting" the apartment over the garage to an old army buddy and his wife. They are supposed to be helping Aurora but she doesn't know at ...more
Kandice
I have come to love Aurora Teagarden, but freely admit that part of what I love about her stories are how... safe they are. In this one, she not only marries, which spoils a little of the dating fun I have also come to love, but also discovers things about her husband that I do not want in Roe's life. How can her stories continue in the comfy, cozy vein I have come to love with this?

I'm already starting the next one, so here's hoping.

Trixie
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice and quick read. ...more
Delonda
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Okay, I started reading this series exactly a week ago... and I haven't been able to stop. As I've already mentioned, I loved the first, second, and third books, so I couldn't wait to get stuck into this one!

So much has happened in this former librarian's life. She's helped solve several mysteries, inherited quite a lot of money from a friend, had several disastrous relationships that haven't lasted, and is slowly trying to find what she wants to dedicate her life to now that she no longer works
Cornerofmadness
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Syrdarya
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Considering that the third book in the series set up two of the main plots for this book, I had hoped this book would be much better than it was. The Julius House is, I hope, the worst book Charlaine Harris has written. The characterization of Aurora is uneven: she reacts strangely to other characters, she has bizarre thoughts which could use more explanation, she's still not very likable. The first few chapters of the book don't even have anything to do with the mystery, and there are some ...more
Annika Astradsson
This was a book I picked up at the airport for some light airplane reading. I never expected it to be great literature and it wasn't. What I liked about the book was the promise of a good plot, and mostly it was fulfilled. But what I disliked about it was that it took forever getting there. Yes it was novel to read about a really rich woman in her 30s, who doesn't have to work for a living and is about to get married with all the trimmings. Yes it was pleasant to accompany her while she picked ...more
Flo
May 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were some things about this book and series that have me rating it 2 stars. I don't like the main character, Aurora. She seems to have had a pretty easy life, her mother is a successful real estate agent that lets her daughter live and manage a row of townhouses. Aurora was a librarian and then up and quits. She inherits a house and some money from a coworker which makes her finacially independent. Then she meets the man of her dreams. He is a mystery. She doesn't know everything about him ...more
Jan 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
The Aurora Teagarden Mysteries aren't nearly as detailed as Harris' Southern Vampire series, and sometimes that's a good thing, and sometimes that's a bad thing. The plot surrounding the Julius House/Disappearance worked quite well, with just enough detail to make it interesting (and it even creeped me out a bit!) although I figured it our before Aurora did.

On the other hand, the plot line regarding Martin's background is far too sketchy to 1) be believable and 2) be enjoyable. As the reader, I
Charlie
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a book about a girl who marries someone she does not know nearly well enough to marry and who moves into a house known to have a deep dark secret. She has to solve the mysteries of who her husband really is and what really happened in the house. I found it a bit basic and not terribly imaginative. However, it was perfectly readable.

I did not realise that this was number 4 in a series when I picked it up, but it is fine as a stand alone novel and I don't think it lost anything by being
Katie Fitzgerald
This book wasn't quite as well-written as the ones that came before it, but plot-wise it was engrossing. Aurora's marriage to the dubious Martin, her questions about what happened to the former inhabitants of their new house, and suspicious behavior on the part of some friends Martin has invited to stay provided a lot of suspense and kept me interested. I did feel like some parts of the story were rushed, but that might just be because I like Roe and wanted to spend more time with her. Either ...more
✨ Gramy ✨
This is the fourth book in this series about Aurora "Roe" Teagarden. She instantly fell in love with Martin in the last book and quickly marries him in this book, despite the warnings from several people including his ex-wife, who advised her that he would never tell her the whole truth about everything in his life He shares parts of his life that terrifies Roe. As a wedding present, they each bought each other real estate that the other wanted. Roe became bored and began investigating the death ...more
Jim
Jun 12, 2009 rated it liked it
I continue reading candy! The writing is better for most of the book. There are some very good descriptions, some are quite good & funny. Again, the wrap up wasn't as good as it could have been. Bad guy caught, tells all. I also seriously contemplated pulling a star from the book because the base mystery was so flawed. Still, it's candy & suspending my sense of belief for one item, though major, didn't seem quite fair. It was fun read.
Joshua Gross
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost nothing happens for the entire first half of the book, and then suddenly everything happens. I managed to figure out a theory that was close to what was going on early in the book, then figured it out completely before Roe did, which was surprising considering she had all the information she needed to come to the same conclusion...
Elizabeth White
Sep 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe this is a book from the pen of a "best-selling" author with over 25 years experience. The writing is sophomoric. The characters unlovable. I wanted a quick read and that's what I got. What I didn't get was a desire to read more books by Harris.
Play Book Tag: The Julius House by Charlaine Harris 3 stars 1 11 Jun 04, 2017 05:42PM

• Garage Sale Stalker (Garage Sale Mysteries, #1)
  • Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)
  • Plum Pudding Murder (Hannah Swensen, #12)
  • Garage Sale Riddle (Garage Sale Mysteries, #3)
  • Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3)
  • Garage Sale Diamonds (Garage Sale Mysteries, #2)
  • Peach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7)
  • Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4)
  • Key Lime Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9)
  • Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5)
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1)
  • The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #5)
  • Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6)
  • The Ghost and the Dead Deb (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Apple Turnover Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13)
  • Carrot Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #10)
  • Cherry Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #8)
  • Cream Puff Murder (Hannah Swensen, #11)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry

Aurora Teagarden (10 books)
  • Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1)
  • A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
  • Three Bedrooms, One Corpse  (Aurora Teagarden, #3)
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
  • A Fool and His Honey (Aurora Teagarden, #6)
  • Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden, #7)
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • All the Little Liars (Aurora Teagarden, #9)
  • Sleep Like a Baby (Aurora Teagarden, #10)
“Any place books are massed together makes me feel at home.” 0 likes