Start by marking “Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden Mystery, #5)

Dead Over Heels

(Aurora Teagarden #5)

What's the world coming to when you can't relax with a glass of ice-cold beverage in your own backyard without a body falling from the sky into your garden?

Part-time librarian and amateur investigator Roe Teagarden has good reason to ask herself this question when the remains of one of the Lawrenceton, Georgia police departments finest catapults into her flower bed. The m
Published August 5th 2008 by Berkley (first published November 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Over Heels, please sign up.
Carol Gibson I would definitely recommend reading in order so as to see events in Aurora's life especially-i.e.---why she has a "bodyguard" for one thing. I, too s…moreI would definitely recommend reading in order so as to see events in Aurora's life especially-i.e.---why she has a "bodyguard" for one thing. I, too started late, plus being familiar with Hallmark's TV series. So have started with No. 1 thru 4 so far and will continue onward.(less)

Start your review of Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden Mystery, #5)
Annette
Mar 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
These books just keep getting worse - and I keep reading. At this point I think it's morbid fascination to see just how bad they'll get. (And as I'm several chapters into book #6 - pretty bad).

Aurora Teagarden has got to be the most annoying protagonist I have ever come across. I haven't found a redeeming quality in her yet and since she has to recite a mantra to herself that she "likes black kids as much as she likes white kids and black patrons as much as she likes white patrons," I'm starting
Gizzard
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x2011
A lower than average mystery. And sheesh, could Harris work out her racism problems with a therapist and not in her books. Ya know what all black people have in common Charlaine? Nothing! Not even a common skin color.
Wanda
What do you do when you’re suffering from a severe case of insomnia? If you’re me, you wander to your bookcase and say to yourself, “Which of these books is interesting, but I’ll be willing to set it down when sleep finally feels possible?” I gave up at about 2 a.m. on Saturday morning and started to read--finally, at 4 a.m. I managed to set down the book and sleep for a while.

I’d have to call this both a cozy mystery and a Southern mystery. Charlaine Harris includes so many of the details of So
Karen ⊰✿
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m enjoying this series more and more with every book. Aurora has a special blend of inquisitiveness and kindness and some really interesting people in her life! The character development is great and the mysteries always intriguing.

And...Seriously....when a book starts with “My bodyguard was mowing the yard wearing her pink bikini when a man fell from the sky” you know you are in for a fun read! 😎
Terri Palermo
Aug 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
How can you not enjoy a book that begins: "My bodyguard was mowing the yard wearing her pink bikini when the man fell from the sky." ??

C'mon!
Another sweet and twisted glimpse into Aurora Teagarden's strangely complicated simple life.
Jessica
May 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot stop reading these books. Not because they are amazing, but in a "can't look away from a car accident or train wreck" kind of way. I am going to say it and not feel bad about it: Aurora Teagarden is STUPID. She's supposed to be well-educated and well-read, yet she has all the common sense and sophistication of a jelly bean. UGH. Not to mention I HATE HER HUSBAND! What. The. Heck. Again the stupidity and suspension of intellectual thought that a woman would have to possess to buy into Ma ...more
Dagny
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harris-charlaine
I love this one. Roe lost the aggravating attitude she had in the prior book and Angel is still around. Charlaine Harris has a definite knack for creating in her readers the urge to read the next book and discover how the characters are faring.
Daiva
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
To describe this in one sentence (or even one word), I would say: "pop-corn" book – a quick read, that neither gives nor takes much; meaning you shouldn’t search for some deep/hidden purpose in it, but it doesn’t waste a lot of time or patience either – in that way, you can end up enjoying this type of story for the time being.

Random thought, #1 – Got to love, how it is enough to write one bestseller and then all of your books (series) have that “The No.1 Bestselling Author” mark all over it.

Ra
Jan 15, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Very disappointing! Harris can do *much* better than this book. The plot is just incredibly unbelievable. Once again the Youngbloods are wasted characters and Martin is just two-dimensional. But that's not really even the worst of it! It's almost as if Harris sat down one weekend and decided to write this book without any thought or planning. ...more
Karen B.
A body lands in Aurora's yard and it turns out to be the police chief who had been harassing her regarding her involvement in previous mysteries. Another person is attacked and later dies and eventually Aurora figures out that the two are related. How? I can't say without giving spoilers but Aurora once again gets immersed in mysteries and Martin's life is in jeopardy. ...more
Marissa
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies
Before I go into my review, just want to remark that I've always thought this title was wasted on this book. It would've been much better as a title for one of the SVM/Sookie books.
Moving on, this was definitely when the series jumped the shark. All this build up to who was doing all these horrible things, and then literally no explanation of why. I would've much preferred to find out WHY he was obsessed with Roe, what brought it about, how the other crimes were actually committed, etc. It only
Lindsay
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Brianna
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-series
I got this book from the library, without reading the first four in the series. Luckily for me, the characters were well introduced so that it wasn't necessary for me to have read the first books in order to understand this one. This was a very short novel, and it was easy to read, making this a fast read. I thought that the characters were interesting, and while I wouldn't say this was a good enough book (at least in my opinion) to spend money on, I think that it was a good way to spend an afte ...more
Jim
Better than the previous books. There's not as much of a rush to wrap it all up at the end. Still a candy book - fun & quick to read. Engaging writing & characters. A good who-dunnit. ...more
Regina
The weakest in the series. Hoping for better with #6.

Regina
Dec 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead Over Heels was not as good as the previous Aurora books. The racism made me uncomfortable and the sexual parts with her and Martin. It’s supposed to be a cozy mystery and I didn’t get that at all with this book. I felt more like a therapist listening to her issues, than a reader trying to solve a mystery. I hope the next one is better.
Amanda Lawford
Five books into this series and I feel I’m getting over it. Just how many more situations can one character fall into? There are still five more books *sighs* I’m not willing to abandon the series just yet. I’m hoping this book is just a bump in the road. I really do enjoy them as they are a light quick read. This one just felt a bit too predictable.
Veronica F
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Another Aurora Teagarden finished! Love this series. If you've watched the movies, the story lines are different. The further I go in the series, the more different they are from the movies. Looking forward to the next one!! ...more
Heather Gilbert
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series keeps getting better, especially now that Roe is married. Really enjoyed this one and the unique method of death for the victim!
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING 2.5 STARS

Dead Over Heels is my least favourite so far. It was just a bit more annoying and longer than usual. I am not a fan of Martin and Roe anymore. It seems like every book, we get more his bad characteristics.
Punk
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, mystery
Mystery. Two years have passed since the last book. Aurora is settled into her new house with her new husband and her new bodyguards and is presented with a new mystery when Detective Sergeant Jack Burns—always suspicious of Roe and her proximity to dead bodies—falls out of an airplane and lands dead in her backyard.

I was really disappointed in this. Aurora spends the entire book making poor decisions and being really oblivious about the mystery. While I like that these books change up the type
Jonathan
The Aurora Teagarden series has become one of my go-to series when I need a fast, good read and this book was no disappointment. In Dead Over Heels Aurora and Angel are in their backyard when a body suddenly falls from a plane and drops into their backyard. Soon after when a woman Aurora has an argument with gets severely beaten, and other questionable events happen Aurora finds herself scared and wondering if this maniac is after her or her friend, Angel.

Many sleuths in the cozy subgenre break
Amy
May 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Good gawd, this book made no sense! The ending just comes, and it's like - didn't see that coming. Not because it was some clever plot twist...it was just straight up weak writing grasping at straws for a conclusion that wasn't set up to make particular sense.

Is this some kind of weird 90s southern picture of adventurous wifely womanhood? 2015 feminist Amy goes roar! This protagonist (although compelling for her librarianly qualities) is perfectly vexing! And - how do I put this - not that I hat
Kerrie
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I get a little fixated on series, but despite my usual need to finish / keep up with a book series, this will be my last Aurora Teagarden. The series started pretty strong, but dear GOD these characters make me cringe. Roe reminds me of those friends that change completely as soon as they get married. And not for the better. Her relationship with her husband is vaguely creepy to be honest.

I could get past the characters, if there were solid mystery plots; but this is so ridiculous... While I wo
Delonda
Even though someone on Goodreads spoiled the denouement a bit by revealing the murderer early in their review and did not hide it as such, I found myself reading this book without wanting to put it down. It is not the best book in the series but neither is it the worst. As another reviewer noted, Harris wasted the Youngbloods, especially after such a promising introduction in the previous installment.

I like this series despite the unevenness of some of the plotting - the first and third books a
Roxane Lapa
The fifth book of the 'Aurora Teagarden' murder mystery series starts off with the body of a policeman landing in Aurora's garden. Another murder and some attacks tie this little mystery together as Aurora tries to figure out the perpetrator and his motive.

It was a quick and easy read. Enjoyable, and sometimes unintentionally funny. For example, a direct quote from the book...

"Perry had dark hair, which he wore in a fashionable brush cut on top and rather long on the sides and back."

...accusing
Margaret
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cute-crime
In the 5th Aurora Teagarden mystery the mystery almost falls into her lap in the shape of a dead body pushed out of a plane over her yard.

You don't get an opening scene much bigger than that!

As the body count rises, it's a race against the clock to find the killer and his motive. Meanwhile, Aurora's bodyguard, Angel, has problems of her own.

This one slightly stretched the bounds of believability, but the sheer bounciness of the story kept it from being irritating.

Highly recommended.
✨ Gramy ✨
This was a clean and cozy mystery. I realy liked it.

Would recommend!
Cara
May 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook, mystery, 2018
This was so bad. I don't know why I finished it. ...more
Andrea Guy
I started reading this series when I stumbled across one of the movies on Hallmarks Movies and Mysteries.

I enjoyed the movie, mostly because I hadn't read any of this series before. Dead Over Heels is one of the movies I've seen, and I have to say, if you have read the book you will be shaking your head quite a bit with the changes they've made to Aurora. I mean, Candace Cameron as Aurora? DJ Tanner as Aurora?

All of the quirkiness that Aurora has in the books is gone in the movies. I would have

• Fudge Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #5)
  • Blueberry Muffin Murder (Hannah Swensen, #3)
  • Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1)
  • Peach Cobbler Murder (Hannah Swensen, #7)
  • Strawberry Shortcake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #2)
  • Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4)
  • Sugar Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #6)
  • Fortune and Glory (Stephanie Plum, #27)
  • The Brutal Heart (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #11)
  • Cream Puff Murder (Hannah Swensen, #11)
  • Plum Pudding Murder (Hannah Swensen, #12)
  • Pawing Through the Past (Mrs. Murphy, #8)
  • Deadly Anniversaries: A Collection of Stories from Crime Fiction's Top Authors
  • Charlaine Harris Presents Malice Domestic 12: Mystery Most Historical
  • Death and the Maiden
  • Here Comes the Body (Catering Hall Mystery #1)
  • Apple Turnover Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13)
  • Class Reunion of Murder  (A Lacy Steele Mystery #5)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over thirty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Charlaine lives in Texas now, and all of her children and grandchildren are within easy driving distance.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was writing poetry an

Aurora Teagarden (10 books)
  • Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1)
  • A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
  • Three Bedrooms, One Corpse  (Aurora Teagarden, #3)
  • The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden, #4)
  • A Fool and His Honey (Aurora Teagarden, #6)
  • Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden, #7)
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • All the Little Liars (Aurora Teagarden, #9)
  • Sleep Like a Baby (Aurora Teagarden, #10)