Start by marking “That Summer In Paris” as Want to Read:
That Summer In Paris

That Summer In Paris

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  289 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
It was the fabulous summer of 1929 when the literary capital of North America moved to La Rive Gauche—the Left Bank of the Seine River—in Paris. Ernest Hemingway was reading proofs of A Farewell to Arms, and a few blocks away F. Scott Fitzgerald was struggling with Tender Is the Night. As his first published book rose to fame in New York, Morley Callaghan arrived in Paris
255 pages
Published January 1st 1992 by Stoddart Publishing,Canada (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about That Summer In Paris, please sign up.

Melinda Worfolk That's interesting--I didn't feel that way at all while reading this book, but then maybe it's because I have read quite a bit about Hemingway and…moreThat's interesting--I didn't feel that way at all while reading this book, but then maybe it's because I have read quite a bit about Hemingway and Fitzgerald's flaws and dysfunction, and felt it was actually quite a gentle, co,passionate portrait of them. I never felt Callaghan was disparaging their talent--in fact I think he felt he wasn't as talented as either one--but rather observing that despite their talent each man had demons that plagued them mercilessly and warped their relationships with others. (less)

Curt Hopkins Hopkins
This is possibly the best book on expatriate Paris. Probably because as a book it's better than most. For one thing, it uses one incident - Callaghan's boxing match in which he knocked Hemmingway down - as the frame for a well-told story of friendship (he, Hemmingway, Fitzgerald), writing, history, a moment in time, love and more.

It isn't smug (and unconsciously hagiographic) like Fitch's "Sylvia Beach and the Lost Generation." It isn't baffled by the art and literature, like "This Must Be the
Matt Comito
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morley makes for a great antidote to certain strains of self congratulation found in Papa's assays at the milieu (love them as I do) - he's like the designated driver who can tell you what really went down between the drunks he had to cart about. He's not the writer that Hemingway was but he's capable.
Owen
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
They say that timing is everything and the fact that this particular writer just happened to be sitting on the Boulevard Montparnasse on the right evening of the right year, means we have a further insight into the lives of those Paris expatriates, Hemingway and Fitzgerald and others. At the same time, this may be an opportunity for some people to discover Morley Callaghan, who is a very fine writer in his own right. His life ran parallel to Hemingway's for some time, as they met in Toronto and ...more
Patricia
Nov 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such an engaging little book which should be read with Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast" as there are similarities between the latter and Morley Callaghan's styles. I had never heard of this writer until I read "The Paris Wife" and followed him up. I'm so pleased I did. He is a thoroughly likable person and a good writer. This slim book is about friendships, their intensity and changing loyalties, and ultimately their fading away. At no time does Callaghan privilege Ernest Hemingway over Sc ...more
Dan Butterfass
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays
Lost or borrowed out my old Penguin Classics (orange spine) paperback copy purchased in 1993 from a used bookstore on main street in Bozeman, MT. This is the best memoir there is about 1920's literary Paris, bar none, and that short list includes Hemingway's A Moveable Feast and Stein's Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas. It is that good and, unfortunately, vastly overlooked. I'm glad to see it is back in print.

Best passage in the book (for me) is the one in which Callaghan talks about how litera
Melinda Worfolk
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir, 2017
The only reason it took me so long to finish this was because I had it in my office as a lunchtime book; I'd read a chapter or two whenever I had a bit of time at lunch. Finally I just brought it home and finished it in one go. I originally decided to read it as a companion to Hemingway's A Moveable Feast; I definitely enjoyed Callahan's writing more, and I think he's underrated. Perhaps it's that I really like his style--understated, wry, slightly self-deprecating humour, deceptively effortless ...more
James
Morley Callaghan was only twenty-six years old when he spent the summer of 1929 in Paris with his wife. He had been encouraged by Ernest Hemingway when they were both journalists in Toronto and looked forward to seeing Hemingway again at his place in Paris. Along the way he stops in New York and meets Sinclair Lewis while establishing himself with the editor Maxwell Perkins at Scribner's who publishes his first book. But it is in Paris that he tries to make a home for that one summer. In additio ...more
Dvora
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france
I've read many books about Paris and the writers (and artists) who lived and thrived there in the 20s and 30s including Memoirs of Montparnasse by John Glassco, Being Geniuses Together by Robert McAlmon and Kay Boyle, The Last Time I Saw Paris by Elliot Paul (he didn't hang around with the others so this lovely book is really just about him and the colorful neighborhood he lived in which was off the expat/artist beaten track) and of course Hemingway's A Moveable Feast.

Except for Paul's book, whi
Mike
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a follow up to Shakespeare and Company by Sylvia Beach and A Moveable Feast by Hemingway, this completes a set - each perspective a little different, but the players the same - at least the major ones. Callaghan does not make it into the other two books, but his role and interactions with Scott and Hemingway are fascinating and his insights into the Paris scene add to my overall impression of this creative age.

I am glad to discover Callaghan who is Canadian and therefore does not get as much
Adam
May 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essentials
Who would have imagined that a Canadian author, virtually unknown in the US, had written a Lost Generation memoir twice as compelling as Hemingway's A Moveable Feast? The book gave me chills when I first read it, and has done so for more than a decade since--whenever I remember it. I don't expect ever to find another book of its type that so convincingly deposits you in a similar time and place of renown, allowing you to rub shoulders with legends (albeit quirky, quirky legends).
Hilary
Sep 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, bookclub
I was amazed at how boring life in Paris could be - even with the added potential entertainment value of Hemingway! I felt like I was stuck at a party with somebody who constantly name drops and I just couldn't quite get away to actually enjoy myself.
Dean
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

A fascinating time with equally fascinating characters. Some great thoughts and insights into human character and behaviour but for me a little slow paced. A good book but I would recommend Hemingway's 'A moveable feast' before this.
William Nixon
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Arguably the most sane member of "The Lost Generation," Morley Callaghan, offers a perspective on Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Joyce, McAlmon, and others living on the Left Bank that is as candid as it is objective. No hero worship or grinding axes.
Alison Peters
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Enjoyed reading from another author's point of view the Paris life of Hemingway and Fitzgerald.
Stephen
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice memoir and intimate view of the relationships between Morley, Ernest, and Scott.
Alan
Published first, in 1963, but makes for an excellent A Moveable Feast (1964) sequel.

"The Quarter was like a small town. It had little points of protocol, little indignities not to be suffered." - That Summer in Paris, page 109
"Look at it in this way. Scott didn’t like McAlmon. McAlmon no longer liked Hemingway. Hemingway had turned against Scott. I had turned up my nose at Ford. Hemingway liked Joyce. Joyce liked McAlmon." - That Summer in Paris, pg. 169

The above quotes give a good idea of the s
Bruce
Mar 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This memoir by the journalist Morley Callaghan starts out slowly, relating a few episodes from his childhood and youth in Toronto. Only in about the third chapter, when he meets Hemingway, does it become interesting. After that, the story expands geographically from Toronto to New York to Paris, encompassing as it does an increasing host of literary people, at times seeming to descend into an almost endless list of name-dropping, made interesting primarily because of its short anecdotes about au ...more
Maureen
that summer in paris was like old home week for me: i got to visit with hemingway, fitzgerald, and joyce back in the heyday of paris in the 20s which i haven't done in some time. callaghan writes cleanly and well, but sometimes his ego is exhausting. despite the fact i'm canadian as he is, and from toronto, none of his books were on my school syllabus growing up, whereas mordecai richler, robertson davies, and margaret atwood are staples, and i'm sure that would have burned him up because he had ...more
Feisty Harriet
I’m pretty sure this title popped up through some internet algorithm that sends new recommendations based on your buying history. *Shakes fist at algorithms. Next time, Amazon, try and factor in writer’s ability and discard those who are too whiney, dramatic, or juvenile in regards to their emotions or experience.* In the summer of 1929, Callaghan was a writer in Paris and good friends with both Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald. This book, written shortly after Hemingway’s suicide in the ...more
Caitlin
Jul 31, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I re-read The Sun Also Rises prior to reading this and it probably did this book a disservice because The Sun Also Rises is just so wonderful and this book definitely suffered in comparison. The problem, ultimately, is that Hemingway writes like Hemingway and Callaghan writes like a journalist. There isn't anything wrong with journalism, but given the choice between the gorgeous writing in The Sun Also Rises and A Moveable Feast and the rather flat and dry writing in Callaghan's book, I'm going ...more
ErinG
Jul 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read quite a few books about literary Paris in the 20's. Its a time in history that I enjoy reading about.

This started out a little slow for me, but got better as I got into it and its a quick read. The author gives his personal account of his relationships, mainly with and between Hemingway and Fitzgerald, so you get a picture of their personalities, which I enjoyed. I only give it three stars because I thought it would go into more depth about them, others and the times. If I knew how to
Jon
A fun exercise in nostalgia, this focuses on the Canadian novelist Morley Callaghan's summer in Paris in 1929 and how he hung out with Hemingway, Fitzgerald and other luminaries (as well as a few dim bulbs). Best anecdote: Callaghan's description of James Joyce playing him a phonograph record of the American preacher/reprobate, Aimee Semple McPherson. Not much depth but worth reading if one is interested in that period in literary history.
Amy
Mar 26, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that this is probably not a truly good book, but I enjoyed it simply because I'm fascinated by the lore of the "Lost Generation" writers hanging out in 1920s Paris, and also by pretty much anything to do with the Fitzgeralds and Hemingway. Callaghan did do a great job bringing that place and time to life. But I think the book would have been better if it was shorter and more tightly focused.
Ffiamma
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canada
un giovane scrittore/giornalista canadese, l'amicizia con hemingway, un'estate a parigi a vagare, tirare di boxe, perdere tempo nei caffè, familiarizzare con l'atmosfera spumeggiante in cui era normale incrociare personaggi come joyce, mirò, fitzgerald. la storia di un malinteso, di caratteri difficili, di un'epoca quasi mitica. memoir semplice e interessante per appassionati del periodo.
B. R. Reed
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Callaghan was a Canadian reporter who met Hemingway at the offices of the Toronto Star when he was a young man. The book does recall Hemingway's A Moveable Feast but this book is Callaghan's own Paris memories and he has some good stories to tell. I did not know about this book but happened upon it in a book store. Enjoyed it very much.
Betty Sharples
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure - I've been devouring any book on Paris (especially of the belle epoque era). I'd not heard of this author, but he tells the story of his start as a writer. Travelling to Paris as it was the center of the creative world, meeting his heroes - Hemmingway & Fitzgerald to name a couple - and the disillusionment that often comes.
georgia
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i just wanted to be there - 1929 - paris where the hot artists, writers and rich hung out commenting on each others stuff. the places they mentioned, i was at a few years ago. i can still here the music. get it as you will enjoy it.
Sharon
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I keep reading every book I find about these authors and their time in Paris, I guess I am more interested than I feel I should be. I find the era intriguing. This book gave a different perspective than all the others I had read. I enjoyed that.
Amy
Another book from out home library that we are taking off the shelf to find a new home now that we're downsizing. It's hard to say goodbye to old friends, but necessary, sometimes.

Hopefully, I'll be able to find another copy of this book sometime.
Nasma
Sep 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far I am appreciating the author's style of writing, it is clear and lucid, and as far as I can tell he completely avoids pretentious and pompous language which is great, especially because I am reading this book for a Canadian Life writing class.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Rue Deschambault
  • Vimy
  • Everybody Was So Young: Gerald and Sara Murphy: A Lost Generation Love Story
  • Paris Was a Woman: Portraits from the Left Bank
  • Leaven of Malice (Salterton Trilogy, #2)
  • The Crazy Years: Paris in the Twenties
  • The Far Side of Paradise: A Biography of F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Charmed Circle: Gertrude Stein and Company
  • Sylvia Beach and the Lost Generation: A History of Literary Paris in the Twenties and Thirties
  • Paris France
  • Paris: The Biography of a City
  • Dawn of the Belle Epoque: The Paris of Monet, Zola, Bernhardt, Eiffel, Debussy, Clemenceau, and Their Friends
Edward Morley Callaghan (February 22 1903 -- August 25 1990) was a Canadian novelist, short story writer, playwright, television and radio personality.
Of Irish parentage, Callaghan was born and raised in Toronto. He was educated at Riverdale Collegiate Institute, the University of Toronto and Osgoode Hall Law School, though he never practised law. During the 1920s he worked at the Toronto Daily S
More about Morley Callaghan...