Start by marking “The Wizard's Daughters” as Want to Read:
The Wizard's Daughters

The Wizard's Daughters

(Twin Magic #1)

When down-on-his-luck swordsman Erich von Jülich-Berg accepts a job protecting Walther the Artificer on a trip from his village to the Free City of Köln, his only motivation is to replenish his empty purse.

Walther’s twin daughters Ariel and Astrid, skilled mages in their own right, are in search of a husband. But marriage for mages carries with it unique challenges, for t
Published November 11th 2014 by Michael Dalton

Michael Dalton
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
This is the first novel in what I hope will be an unusual series. It's not anywhere near as explicit as my other novels—it's best described as somewhat racy at worst. That said, there are some "unorthodox" things going on this in this book, though saying more would constitute a spoiler.
Dianne
Is it an adventure? Steampunk? Fantasy? Is it steamy, spicy, quirky, and a little mind-boggling? Does it completely entertain in the best way? The answer is yes, The Wizard’s Daughters by Michael Dalton is…all of the above.
Erich, a skilled and once wealthy swordsman is down to his last coin. He is hired by a gentleman wishing to take his twin daughters to “the city” to find well-matched husbands for these beautiful young women. Erich’s charge is to assure safe travel for Walther and his daughte
Bella Swann
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I absolutely loved this story! For those who are fans of fantasy, Dalton does a great job situating the reader in a world of feudalism and magic. The story starts off with the arrival of an almost broke swordsman who is looking for work. There are hints that he may have an interesting past that he is hiding from. Erich goes to work for a mage named Walther who has decided to take his twin mage daughters to the city of Koin in order to find a husband for them. Erich serves as their bodyguards on ...more
James
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Entertaining

The book was solid and I enjoyed it. The characters were ok but still needed some fleshing out the best character was the mercenary captain. Overall well written and worth reading.
J.B. Rogers
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
(Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review and as context to beta-read the sequel.)

This is Michael Dalton's first foray into mainstream fantasy, and it's an intriguing debut. There are elements of steampunk, magic, and alternate history, all woven around a fairly standard quest narrative. A mage's daughters have reached marrying age, so he hires a swordsman to escort the three of them to the Big City to marry them off. Ho-hum, right? Not so fast.

As I've lea
Debbie
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Independent Reviewer for Paranormal Romance and Authors That Rock.

Astrid and Ariel are identical twins, save for a freckle on the nose. Their magic is intertwined, they need to marry a mage whsoe magic matches both theirs, as they cannot be seperated. They nneed to go to Kóln to find this mage. Erich is hired to guard the girls and their father on this trip. But somehwere along the way, he falls in love with the girls. Girls he cannot have for he is no mage. He has secrets too, and secrets have
Rob
Jan 10, 2015 rated it liked it
A decent first work.

I enjoyed the book in the end but it does suffer certain faults. The need for better editing stands out. Certain plot points were a bit too predictable and could easily have been improved with minor changes. Many points in the story came off as rushed. The book probably could have been twice as long; expanding upon the weeks they spent before leaving for the journey, expanding on the journey itself, and focusing more on building a more in depth camaraderie between Erich and t
Chevoque Chevoque
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First...why isn't everyone talking about this book? It is brilliant in the best ways possible. I love the different perspectives, which have been so perfectly integrated that one can read with great ease.
The storyline is amazing! I fell in love with the subtle wittiness throughout the book and the descriptions are just perfect. The book is one of those I will always carry with me and knowing there is more ahead in the Twin Magic series has me excited.
Dalton is a great author and I can't wait to
Puri
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like that the main protagonist is a serious guy with backbone, but isn't controlled by his emotions. Only this "duplication" was a little bit weird and I just cant picture it.
Iori
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, steampunk
Awesome read you can't stop cheering for the Mc and the twins.
Greg Adkins
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
What is a great book? A book that makes you say just one more page.
Kerry Reis
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-version
SOME PARTS FOR 18+ ONLY. In the early 1500s of Germanic Europe, Walther the Artificer, a mage who builds automatons powered by magic crystals, has a pair of identical twin daughters, Ariel and Astrid, who are emergent elemental mages in their own right and at an age where they need to be matched with a husband compatible with their natural mystical flow. His plan is to transport them to a major university of mages where a compatible mage should be available, but he needs protection for him and h ...more
NinetyFive
May 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
TLDR: Perfect guy in a rough spot is not yet discovered to be special.

-1: Things are included for the sake of the story. This way of storytelling does not feel natural to me.
-1: The light-heartedness at the beginning was appreciated. It does sadly not carry over.
-1: Flat characters.
Cnygaard_japanyahoo.Com
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun idea

I have only ever come across the idea of a non-mage gaining magic related strength by becoming something like a familiar one other time, but he had to become a leopard (big cat?) before he could. Also you guaranteed the lack of infidelity, thank you.
Edwin
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good first book

When I found the first I was skeptical and the opening of the book did feel slow. But after continuing reading, it started to get interesting all the way to the end.
Really enjoyed the main characters.

Will go and pick the second book.
Daniel Petrocelli
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
The book plodded along, but completely lost me at the double headed penis.
Egis
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun little read.
John D
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good story. Interesting magic world.
Catina Lewis
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, romance
In the beginning it's dear ole', Erich is just looking for a job, and a way to get away from his brother's anger towards him. So far his brother sent two parties to capture him but both have failed. They either have died or came back empty-handed. Upon arriving in a village he seeks employment with Walther, the father of Astrid and Ariel. Erich becomes their guard and guide to the Free City of Koln.The lovely Astrid and Ariel are looking to leave their home with their father to the Free City of ...more
Thuan
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it

This was a fun, light read.

We have poor, vagabond Erich, our protagonist, that finds himself as a guard to a genius wizard and his two beautiful twin daughters. A strange relationship develops between Erich and the girls but what's fun is how their relationship plays out.

My one complaint, though, is that the author exposes the villain's plan completely as a POV. This virtually eliminates any suspense or anticpation when switching back to our protagonist's POV. You'll know what will happen and

Jordan
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Amusing if a little rushed. It's a pretty short book with only 200 or so pages and after the union everything seems to go into fast forward as if the author only had time to write the gist of things. Could have used another 100 pages for padding to build the story but overall I enjoyed it and glad I gave it a try.
Wanda
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Page turning tale

May the Flow be with you. Imaginative cross between Star Wars and Shreck set in ancient times. Nicely written tale although I found the ending a bit too simplistic.
Oliver
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Fairly enjoyable.

I liked that the characters were all reasonable people that reacted rationally to events, rather than engaging in the usual melodrama you find in this sort of historical/fantasy fiction.
Felix
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting story but it is so flat and predictable -.-
Drew Doll
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Thoroughly enjoyed this read. Full review to follow.
Brett Robinson
Sep 14, 2016
John W Wiest
rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2015
Free Books 4 Reviews: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Wizard's Daughters 6 35 Feb 02, 2015 07:45AM
  • In Thunder Forged: Iron Kingdoms Chronicles
  • Soul Stealer: Legacy of the Blade
  • King of Chaos
  • Dark Spirit (Spirit Wild #2)
  • A Fox's Maid (American Kitsune, #3)
  • My Wolf Protector (Wolf Town Guardians, #2)
  • Awakening: Uncensored Edition (Champions (UE) Book 1)
  • Beginning of a Hero (Legends of Windemere, #1)
  • The Cave Maze (Wizard Warrior Quest)
  • Fire Games (Pyforial Mage Trilogy, #1)
  • Einstein Must Die! (Fate Of Nations, #1)
  • Wage Slave Rebellion (Firesign #1)
  • The Mirror (Northwest Passage, #5)
  • Warlock: Love, Sex, and Damnation (Shawn Moore #1)
  • The John Blake Chronicles - Volume 1: Three Square Meals (The Unclaimed Legacy Series)
  • Mind Forged (Enchanters of Xarparion, #1)
  • The Aebeling (The Casere, #1)
  • Into the Storm (Malcontents, #1)
Michael Dalton is a professional journalist and editor.

Michael wrote his first piece of fiction in third grade, for which he was immediately accused of plagiarism by his teacher. Since then, he has been writing more or less steadily, interrupted only by occasional demands of work and family.

Michael lives with his family and multiple pets in Southern California.

Twin Magic (2 books)