Start by marking “Fae Horse: A Faerie Tale” as Want to Read:
Fae Horse: A Faerie Tale

Fae Horse: A Faerie Tale

Accused as witch, Eileen must flee for her life, leaving her village and true love behind. With her pursuers closing in, she chances across a strange black horse - but does she dare to pay the price of escape?

Fae Horse is a short story of 5k words (about 25 pages) in the traditional dark faerie tale style.
Published October 28th 2014 (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fae Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fae Horse

Start your review of Fae Horse: A Faerie Tale
Clare O'Beara
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a dramatic and well-told very short fantasy, which examines the nature of love and sacrifice. A young woman healer is picked upon by the new fanatical vicar, as a herb-witch, and her only way to escape seems to be by riding a strange black horse that appears near the standing stones. But the fae don't take much account of mortal lives.
I love the cover, and the evocative story-telling, and I would read more by this author.

I downloaded an ARC from Instafreebie. This is an unbiased review
Patricia
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful short that gives the reader a meaty glimpse into the Fae world of the dead...into the wealth of stories set around the mystical time of Halloween or Samhain. We ride aside The Night Mare deep into the underworld to rescue a true love and in doing so the soul of the rider is sold. Magically written this story brings the reader into a world seen by few and never left unaffected by it.

This is definitely a short tale to read if you love tales of the world of Fae.

I read this tale
Stacey
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eileen is against time to save her love Aidan from dying but soon finds out she must make a sacrifice in order to do so plus is running from people who wish to kill her because she wants to save her love Aidan but because she does try to save her love they want to kill her .. find this and more by buying the fae box set with more Fae to read about and much more .. until next read and review .. read on ..
Lana
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eileen is forced to escape her village as a priest is hounding her and branding her a witch, she flees for her life but has nowhere to turn to. Desperately she is even considering ending her life by throwing herself off the cliffs rather than be burnt at the stake. She is in fact a healer and was just trying to heal her love when he was running a high fever but the mother and the villagers would rather believe the priest than poor Eileen. As she is running for her life she comes across this beau ...more
Kindleworm Dot Com
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This one is very much on the dark side of folk-lore/fairy-tale telling, beginning in a witch hunt.   Maybe not so suitable for very young children.

That said, its very good and will certainly keep you in its grip until the end.

Available on its own (click on picture) but also included in the Anthology, Once Upon a Curse , and also in the collection, Tales of Feyland and Faerie .
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Eileen has to run for her life before she can save her beloved Aiden. She is aided in her escape by a puka and agrees to pay it's price for saving Aiden. Short heartbreaking story about giving up yourself for the sake of the one you love.
Rosemary Hughes
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful short story, with fae magic and folklore spilling from each word. I applaud the wordsmith within the author, who has brought this tale to life.
I voluntarily submitted this review after reading an advanced copy of this short story.
OldBird
A dark fairy tale of woman accused of witchcraft and the deal she makes to save the one she loves. Short and fairly shallow, it's still a clever bit of twisted, Celtic-inspired fantasy.

-I received a free copy of this ebook in a giveaway. This does not affect my review-
Carly
Read in Once Upon A Curse: 17 Dark Faerie Tales, good story but depressing. Not really my thing. ...more
Stephanie
This was sad but awesome!
Pat Raab
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The stuff of nightmares ... And the ultimate sacrifice for love.
Barb VanderWel
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
Dominique
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A must read! This is a beautifully written short story! I have always been fascinated with the Puca, and glad to come across something that is written about one. There needs to be more stories like this.
Y.I. Lee
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was awesome. But not long enough, I wanted more, it was so exciting! If it had been a full length novel, it would have been hard to put down. As it was, I devoured it in less than an hour. The writing was excellent...beautiful. So poetic and descriptive.
A story that stay's with you long after you finished it. If I have one small complaint, it would be the way it ended, but that's all.
It's brilliant, and I highly recommend it.
Jennifer Erwin
Apr 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Definitely a dark faerie tale, meaning there is no happy ending. It was a new one on me as I've never heard of a Fae horse.
Bonnie Smelser
Short but interesting.
Scott Ryan
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One hopes that Eileen manages to overcome pretty much overwhelming odds, but the deck is stacked against her. Not a good day. Great short story.
Meg
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous imagery, a vivid sense of the world in those moments, in the flashes of that one night and day we see, and a fully-portrayed piece of mythology. Beautiful, short, and tragic.
rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2016
Poetic Puppy
Dec 14, 2016
Gloria
rated it did not like it
Oct 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Queen of Frost and Darkness
  • Yarrow, Sturdy and Bright
  • Magic After Midnight (After the Fire, #2)
  • Once Upon A Curse: 17 Dark Faerie Tales
  • The Jaguar House, in Shadow
  • The Defeat of Youth and Other Poems
  • Leda
  • Annabel Scheme
  • Learn to Lucid Dream: Powerful Techniques for Awakening Creativity and Consciousness
  • The Shipmaker
  • The Sleep Consultant
Growing up, Anthea Sharp spent her summers raiding the library shelves and reading, especially fantasy. She now makes her home in the Pacific Northwest, where she writes, plays the fiddle, hangs out in virtual worlds, and spends time with her small-but-good family. Contact her at antheasharp@hotmail.com, follow her on twitter, find her on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/AntheaSharp), and visit h ...more

News & Interviews