Start by marking “A Soldiers Song: True Stories From The Falklands” as Want to Read:
A Soldiers Song: True Stories From The Falklands

A Soldiers Song: True Stories From The Falklands

In 1982 Private Ken Lukowiak served with 2 Para in the Falklands. With this book, he offers a brutally honest account of his experiences of the campaign.
Published July 1999 by Orion Publishing Group (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about A Soldiers Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Soldiers Song

Start your review of A Soldiers Song: True Stories From The Falklands
Jim
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an odd little book. There are probably some that won't like Mr Lukowiak's style (good old English name, wot?) or his irreverent and unorthodox attitude toward the military and war. In my opinion, this is either the best or worst military memoir I've read. I'm going to lean toward best because, once started, I could not put this book down.

At the time of the incidents referred to in the book, Lukowiak was a Private in 2 Para. He relates, more or less lucidly, his involvement in the Falklan
Ian
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: factual, war, dtb, memoir, atw80
I really enjoyed this memoir of the Falkland Islands war. It was written 10 years after the event by an ex British paratrooper and it fully captures the excitement, the horror, the mundanity, the idiocy and the humour that fills a soldiers life when he is sent off to fight, kill and perhaps die to further the ends of his country.

The book is written chronologically but in lots of very short chapters. This structure works really well as his story moves rapidly between staccato periods of boredom a
Sho
In my last year of school, somewhere between mock A-levels and the real thing, a small set of islands were invaded by the Argentinian military. Where the heck, a lot of people asked, are the Falklands? Are they near the Outer Hebridies?

In 1982 the Argentinian economy was going down the toilet, there was civil unrest and (If i'm remembering it correctly) the IMF had stepped in with loans to save the economy, with harsher conditions attached than those faced by Greece right now. And we can all ope
Ben
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: war
I read a review of this years ago, but have only just caught up with it now. I can't recommend it enough. In deceptively simple prose, Lukowiak, who served with 2 Para at Goose Green and Wireless Ridge, paints a picture of the horror, stupidity - and humour - of war. ...more
Tracyrayn
The Geekster
Nov 08, 2012
Mae Mars
Jan 13, 2020

• The riddle of the dunes (Inspector Blade, #3)
  • Murder at Flood Tide (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 2)
  • Turpitude (DI Munro & DS West #10)
  • Brazen Escape (DI Tanya Miller #4)
  • Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt
  • A Flicker in the Night (Early DCI John Blizzard )
  • Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking
  • Candide
  • A Million Little Pieces
  • Wakenhyrst
  • I Heard You Paint Houses: Frank the Irishman Sheeran & Closing the Case on Jimmy Hoffa
  • Flowers for Algernon
  • The Reluctant Fundamentalist
  • Murder at the Races (Galway Homicide: Hays & Lyons #9)
  • Scorned (The DC Ruby Knight Investigations #2)
  • Carbon Detox (Gaia Thinking)
  • The Virtues of Hell
  • In Praise of Savagery

News & Interviews

“We piled aboard the small chopper and after a bit of map pointing to the pilot we lifted off.
"I love the RAF," said Jed.
"I love them too, sir," said I.
After a short flight the chopper landed. We all got out and waved our thanks and farewells to the crew and Major Jenner checked his map. After a quick examination he announced that we had been dropped in the wrong place.
"I fucking hate the RAF," said Jed.
"I fucking hate them too, sir," said I.”
3 likes
“One soldier picked up a dead Argentine, supported the corpse's weight underneath his arm, put a cigarette in the dead man's mouth, then one in his own. He then held a lighter under the corpse's cigarette and his friend took a photograph. They both laughed. I also laughed.
This was foolish ― smoking can kill.”
1 likes