Start by marking “The Samson Effect” as Want to Read:
The Samson Effect

The Samson Effect

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  237 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Since discovering an ancient scroll in a cave in Hebron, Israel, American biblical archeologist Thomas Hamilton and his trusted friend and colleague, Israeli biblical linguist Michael Sieff, have been consumed with the notion of the Samson Effect-the idea that a long-lost elixir can allow an ordinary person to perform superhuman feats. When they happen upon a worn Hebrew p ...more
Published October 9th 2007 by iUniverse (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Samson Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Samson Effect

Susane
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My cousin wrote this book! Tony is a first cousin to my husband and he and his wife actually introduced us! In fact, Tony married us, too! Anyhow, this is Tony's first work and so far, it's pretty action-packed! I just wish I had more time to sit and read the entire thing at once!
Derek
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a great story with lots of suspense and intrigue
Recommended to Derek by: Tony Eldridge, of course
Bang!

I slammed the book shut with a tremendous rush of satisfaction and called out in one of those obnoxious fan grunts, when their home team obliterates the opposition.

This is one excellent book and made me jealous. I want to grow up and write like Tony. (Insert appropriate whining here). He does suspense like a pro. No wonder Clive Cussler gave such a rave review. No wonder this is going to be made into a movie.

All of this elation was followed by sadness, because I want more and Tony should dr
Michael
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book takes you on a wild ride. You will feel that you are very involved with the characters as they jump off the page and include you in their journey. An excellent debut novel. Tony Eldridge will go far in the publishing world.
Janie Pendleton
Jun 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
SIX STARS< move over Dan Brown, here comes Tony Eldridge, writing books the way they should be written! Janie
Rai
Nov 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Ancient Mystery & Intrigue awaits you in The Samson Effect

I am a big fan of ancient mysteries, action adventure stories & thrillers, so I was immediately intrigued when I came across The Samson Effect & the blurb from Clive Cussler sealed the deal. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, it's an engaging read with a good sense of place, relentlessly fast pacing, and is populated with lively, colorful characters. A secret held since biblical times has been protected by an ancient order, but t
Dennis Batchelder
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
intriguing premise; lots of action

Tony Eldridge's premise in THE SAMSON EFFECT: the "Lord's Strength" of the Old Testament heroes was derived from an ancient, thought-to-be-extinct plant. Fast forward to today: two biblical researchers' quest to find the plant's one remaining seed trigger deadly reactions from both the protectors of the secret and a Palestinian terrorist.

The book is pretty much non-stop action: right from the start people get shot and buildings get bombed. In the midst of all t
Kerry Frey
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't begin to add a better review than what Clive Cussler wrote for this wonderful debut novel, but I will add that the author is one of the most outstanding and talented individuals you will ever meet. If you don't own a copy of The Samson Effect, one could only ask "why"?
Al
May 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Very good first offering. I will be looking forward to seeing Tony's next offering......

Thanks!
Philip Corbett
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
A fantastic concept here, executed incredibly well by Tony Eldridge who, I believe, is a first time novelist.
The likening to a modern day Indiana Jones is not an exaggeration, this is a real roller coaster, thrill a minute page turner. Think Indiana Jones meets Jack Bauer, and you’ll get the idea.
Criticisms? One minor one. Mr. Eldridge has a tendency to use too many words on occasion - I stumbled over the odd sentence, but it in no way detracts from the detailed plot and the terrific action. If
Denise
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
The Samson Effect is a mix of The Da Vinci Code and Raiders of the Lost Ark: ancient religious artifacts are tied into current political and religious groups, everyone is pitted against one another, and the plot is abundant with spies and double-crossing and unrealistic scenarios that somehow make for page-turning adventure even as the reader suspends disbelief.

It won't win any awards, but I quite liked it.
Shelley Hitz
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Once I started reading, "The Sampson Effect" this weekend, I couldn't put it down. It was fast-paced and kept me interested. As the story unfolded, there were twists and turns in the plot that I didn't expect and kept it interesting.

I don't have time to read many fiction novels these days, but I'm definitely glad I read this one! Highly recommended.
Adam
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks
This story is engaging and well-developed, however, my only complaint is in the resolution. Following the climactic scene, the author wraps up the plot line and character storylines as if he was restricted to a page limit. It was uncharactistic of the detail provided earlier in this work. Nevertheless, I enjoyed this book for the beach-house reading it provided.
Carol
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should probably give this book more stars. I had a hard time putting the book down. The characters were a little predictable, especially the females. The idea that there was something that gave Sampson his super strength is an interesting concept.
Adam Wallace
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book. Kept my attention and I would look for the author in the future. The read was fast.
Linda
Oct 12, 2013 rated it liked it
A suspenseful and thrilling biblical adventure. It was nice to read a local Forney, Texas author. I liken it to a fast paced Indiana Jones thrill ride.
Audrey
Jan 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
cliches abound, as do poor writing. didn't bother to finish it
Mike
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great (and unique) storyline and overall an enjoyable read.
Steve
Dec 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Really, not very good.
Carol Horton
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other
Authors sudden shift in Hannah character not realistic (Jew & Muslim romance) based on all his other characters.
Renee Smithson
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, mystery
I had Tony Eldridge's son in my classroom . His sweet son told me his dad wrote books one day during show and tell. I'm so glad he shared his GREAT book with me. LOVED it! So many twist & turns!
Holly
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Fairly good read, but it had a hard time keeping my interest
Ruth
Mar 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book, but I have to say the romantic connections within the four main characters was very weak and juvenile. I did not like that part of the story at all.
Dawn Jobes
rated it did not like it
May 28, 2011
Mar 14, 2016
Vicki Tupper Anders
May 31, 2014
Tony
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Chris
Oct 12, 2012
Lisa Brooks
Jun 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Eighth Scroll
  • Servant of the Gods (Servant of the Gods, #1)
  • Secret of the Sands
  • In the Shadow of Babylon
  • Duel of Hearts
  • A Child's Wound
  • The Great Reset: How New Ways of Living and Working Drive Post-Crash Prosperity
  • Redemption
  • God's Amazing Grace
  • Living Soul (Veiled, #2)
  • The Usurper
  • Captive Spirit
  • OpenGL Programming Guide: The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL, Version 2
  • Knight of Glory (Kingdom of Arnhem, #2)
  • The Soul of Leadership: Unlocking Your Potential for Greatness
  • Molly September
  • Sporadic Memories
  • Tuesday Tells it Slant
Tony Eldridge is a former marketing professional and the author of the action/adventure novel, The Samson Effect, that Clive Cussler called a "first rate thriller brimming with intrigue and adventure." He is also the creator of Marketing Tips for Authors, a daily blog that gives low cost/no cost marketing advice and tips for authors trying to sell their books, especially if they are on a shoestrin ...more
More about Tony Eldridge...