Start by marking “Billy the Kid: An Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Billy the Kid: An Autobiography

Billy the Kid: An Autobiography

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  171 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In 1882 a notorious outlaw named Jesse Evans, a childhood friend of Billy the Kid, walked out of jail after serving a sentence for killing a Texas ranger. Jesse walked out of prison a free man and disappeared, never to be heard from again. Never, that is, until 1949 when he came out of hiding after almost 60 years to claim his inheritance.

In the course of proving his ide
Published October 31st 2014 by Creative Texts Publishers

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Billy the Kid: An Autobiography
Matthew
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very interesting. Especially with the stories of his life. Got long winded in the last third of the book.
Will Hoover
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What if, every now and then, the long established story that has been passed down to us over time is factually incorrect? What if it's just plain wrong? Or rather, what if some very important facts were once lost in the shuffle, during a time when record keeping wasn't always even halfway close to what it is today, and the positive identification of the body of a dead man simply was not, in any way, shape or form, the finely tuned, incredibly precise, and highly exacting C.S.I. science that it h ...more
Jennifer Walker
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a very well written and researched book. I would have like to have seen some more aspects of Brushy Bill’s story thoroughly researched though, that’s why only 4 stars. I think the more we learn about Billy the Kid the more evidence there is to support Brushy Bill’s claim. It is my belief we will never get the “smoking gun”evidence that is needed to prove it one way or the other due to the fact that New Mexico and Hico, Texas don’t want to lose tourist dollars and Pat Garrett’s ...more
Shelley
Interesting and thought-provoking

This is an interesting and thought-provoking presentation of "Brushy Bill" Roberts' story. Individually the stories are far-fetched. As a whole, the stories are a compelling argument for discrediting the status quo.

It needed a good editor to give it more cohesiveness. As it stands, it is a jumbled set of conversations with an elderly man. I know a lot of the story was not clarified because of Brushy Bill's untimely death, but a better editor could have made bette
Bob Cox
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay when I decided to read this book I was skeptical. Initial reading contained lots of little hits of "that can't be true." Then when I read about Brushy breaking horses in Cuba for Teddy Roosevelt Rough Riders, the gig was up. The only horse I'm aware of that the Rough Riders brought to Cuba was Little Texas, Teddy's horse. With Teddy in the saddle, the Rough Riders hoofed it up those hills on their own two feet as their horses were left in Tampa, Florida. There was no ship in Tampa to take h ...more
Johnny
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eye opening!

The author not only provides the original transcripts from the Morrison interviews, but also goes to great lengths to share additional source information including affidavits and photographs. He also greatly expands on William H. Roberts life in the years after the Ft. Sumner incident in 1881. The information contained in these pages is eye opening and compelling. I highly recommend reading this book!
Scott
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Plenty of interesting behind-the-scenes information in a book that was tedious at times. The case was made, over and over, that Brushy Bill was in fact Billy the Kid. The author needs to remember to use an editor, though. Catching multiple errors in copy is a buzz kill.
Larry Burke
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Paxton Holley
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns
Contains a more modern analysis of the interviews of Brushy Bill Roberts and his claims to being Billy the Kid. Lots of research and photo comparisons are made. It's very convincing. I really think that Brushy Bill could possibly have been who he said he was. Makes a lot of good points.
TERRY FRIEDMAN
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fascinating explanation of legend of Billy the Kid

Billy the Kid lived to be an old man. After reading this I have little or no doubt. Pat Garret seems to have been both a conman and killer
Greg Smith
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Book

This was a absolute joy to read!! There is a lot of evidence that point to Brushy Bill was really Billy the Kid. I would recommend for people to keep an open mind and enjoy the book.
joseph w clouser
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book

I heard this about the kid growing up. I believe it. The quickest way to settle it would be with a DNA test of the body buried in N.Mexico.
Rick
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating and detailed analysis. Do not see how anyone could doubt the authenticity, except those with agendas or with reputations at stake.
Robert Barbantini
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, a good read, but after further investigation, like all the Hillary conspiracy theories, I have to say that I, too, do not think that Brushy Bill is Billy the Kid. Pat Garret was a loser, but I guess he actually did kill Billy. I am still intrigued by the time period.
Joel Page
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Decent read

Decent facts supported in the appendix. Although tough following direct quotes from William Roberts.
Some compelling evidence supporting the claim that Pat Garret never killed the Kid.
carlos bacelar
Cali Zumdahl
Feb 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Troubled Life and Mysterious Death of Johnny Ringo
  • The True Exploits of Ben Arnold (Annotated)
  • Billy the Kid: The Lost Interviews
  • Shot All to Hell: Bad Ass Outlaws, Gunfighters, and Law Men of the Old West
  • The Authentic Life of Billy the Kid
  • The Montana Column: March to the Little Bighorn
  • When I Was You
  • Hitler's Jet Plane: The ME 262 Story
  • Line Rider: An Arizona Ranger's True Story of Indians, Outlaws, Gamblers, and Stampedes
  • Dodge City: The Cowboy Capital and the Great Southwest
  • Snow, Glass, Apples
  • Crazy Horse and Custer
  • The Killer Across the Table: Unlocking the Secrets of Serial Killers and Predators with the FBI's Original Mindhunter
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Fortymile: Life on the Alaska Frontier
  • Ninety Degrees North (USS Stonewall Jackson #6)
  • The Sound of Rain (Nicole Foster Thriller #1)